Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Oh yes! I remember now - dodgy firebox and dodgy smokebox.... have they been fixed?

Asking for a friend as I can not justify another Manor 4-6-0 at Henley-on-Thames.

No, sorry, it's just the same as the first batch.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
On 14/07/2024 at 15:42, Harlequin said:

No, sorry, it's just the same as the first batch.

However, it seems to be better news for the Dapol mainline and city carriages, where the shirtbutton carriages include the collect painted bolections mouldings.

These look very nice:

IMG_2877.jpeg.0da8a70acca3eddca519705a139891ec.jpeg

We started our trip back to the UK today Sailing on Thursday, although it will be a few weeks before I get my hands on the carriages.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

We have arrived in the UK - blimey the weather is a bit different to Spain eh!

Overall we will be visiting loads of steam railways and I will be loading some photos onto a 2024 steam album: 

Which will obviously be kept up to date during the trip.

At the West Somerset, the only diesels photographed were Hymek D7017 and a Western up in the air! - everything else is steam.

PS: Can we have more Great Western liveried locos please - not everyone wants to see BR liveries....

• Like 15

I am just packing for my flight back to Australia. I hope you have better weather than I have experienced in the last three weeks. Most visits were off. The nearest I got to GWR was the Brunswick green on Flying Scotsman, yesterday. Went to see the expanded Shildon. The only GWR there now are a siphon and a MOGO.

Happy holidays

Mike Wiltshire

sCOTS.SHILDON.jpg.1adcf4c548fd5667ab36e5ef1c1f6807.jpg

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

I am just packing for my flight back to Australia. I hope you have better weather than I have experienced in the last three weeks. Most visits were off. The nearest I got to GWR was the Brunswick green on Flying Scotsman, yesterday. Went to see the expanded Shildon. The only GWR there now are a siphon and a MOGO.

Happy holidays

Mike Wiltshire

sCOTS.SHILDON.jpg.1adcf4c548fd5667ab36e5ef1c1f6807.jpg

Thanks Mike, have a good journey back to Australia.

Regards, Neal.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

No 1 at Tywyn wharf.

We arrived at Tywyn yesterday afternoon and quickly saw the last departure from Wharf go up the line.

Today and tomorrow we plan to take a few rides on the railway - guess what - rain is due 🙁 I don’t think we will be taking the open carriages!

This was a quick iPhone photo of no 1 before it’s departure.

IMG_7804.jpeg.4da7ab6920147a557fe4b890908f67ef.jpeg

I need to finish editing photos from the WSR before taking more today at the TR 😎

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Here's a photo of a man rushing to make his connection while his companions dawdle on the footbridge:

image.png.56decdcd8c8b39f51bb597f6c1764985.png

Two long trains in a tiny little station!

(No capuchon on 7812.)

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Harlequin said:

Here's a photo of a man rushing to make his connection while his companions dawdle on the footbridge:

image.png.56decdcd8c8b39f51bb597f6c1764985.png

Two long trains in a tiny little station!

(No capuchon on 7812.)

Making sure not to spill his Beer I seem to remember!

• Like 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

I’m currently sat in the Railway Inn at Abergynolwn, where it’s raining!

in better news I’ve just spoken to Kernow models as my Toplights are being sent tonight 😎😎

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

I’m currently sat in the Railway Inn at Abergynolwn, where it’s raining!

in better news I’ve just spoken to Kernow models as my Toplights are being sent tonight 😎😎

Sent? But you are not there!  😃

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, sjrixon said:

Sent? But you are not there!  😃

I have just had confirmation that they are on a next day delivery service to my parents address here in the UK....

We are having lunch on Friday 2nd August, so I will get them then!

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

I have just had confirmation that they are on a next day delivery service to my parents address here in the UK....

We are having lunch on Friday 2nd August, so I will get them then!

I've just had an email from Kernow advising mine are en-route to and will probably arrive when I'm in the UK next week!

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all.

Our UK trip is going very well, with so far 3 steam railways ticked off the list. (It’s our 15th day on the road)

• West Somerset railway, where we were joined by Phil @Harlequin and despite the rain we had a good weekend. Featuring locos Witherslack Hall (Modified Hall) Erlestoke Manor and Betton Grange, although it was under repair on the Saturday.
  • Talyllyn Railway, it rained again! (There’s a theme developing here). The service locos were no 1 and 7 - with a bonus night time event with no 3; 4 and 10 the latter from the Corris railway. I’ve said it before, but the TR is a lovely railway.
  • East Lancs railway, our first trip to this railway and what a disappointment. My expectation was that it would be like the WSR; Talyllyn; Bluebell or the NYMR. It’s not 🙁 generally the staff are unhappy and are telling everyone about it, the rolling stock is tatty and dirty; stations show years of neglect and the lineside is overgrown. Neither Bury or Rawtenstall had booking offices open and neither stations had a decent shop / bookstall. Robbie has said we have been spoiled over the years by the standards set by the Bluebell. We won’t be going back. (Some of the rolling stock had rust, that makes them look like they should be heading to the scrap yard instead of the 10am departure).*
  • Anyway, we are off tomorrow to the GWSR which is another favourite railway, so things will only get better - onwards and upwards.

*We do a message update everyday to family and friends. Robbie has just read out tomorrow’s update, where he talks about the catering staff at Bury (Bolton st) station “ they wear more headsets than the secret service. Such a shame that the service inside said catering facilities, didn’t match the secret service standards “

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

Afternoon all.

Our UK trip is going very well, with so far 3 steam railways ticked off the list. (It’s our 15th day on the road)

• West Somerset railway, where we were joined by Phil @Harlequin and despite the rain we had a good weekend. Featuring locos Witherslack Hall (Modified Hall) Erlestoke Manor and Betton Grange, although it was under repair on the Saturday.
  • Talyllyn Railway, it rained again! (There’s a theme developing here). The service locos were no 1 and 7 - with a bonus night time event with no 3; 4 and 10 the latter from the Corris railway. I’ve said it before, but the TR is a lovely railway.
  • East Lancs railway, our first trip to this railway and what a disappointment. My expectation was that it would be like the WSR; Talyllyn; Bluebell or the NYMR. It’s not 🙁 generally the staff are unhappy and are telling everyone about it, the rolling stock is tatty and dirty; stations show years of neglect and the lineside is overgrown. Neither Bury or Rawtenstall had booking offices open and neither stations had a decent shop / bookstall. Robbie has said we have been spoiled over the years by the standards set by the Bluebell. We won’t be going back. (Some of the rolling stock had rust, that makes them look like they should be heading to the scrap yard instead of the 10am departure).*
  • Anyway, we are off tomorrow to the GWSR which is another favourite railway, so things will only get better - onwards and upwards.

*We do a message update everyday to family and friends. Robbie has just read out tomorrow’s update, where he talks about the catering staff at Bury (Bolton st) station “ they wear more headsets than the secret service. Such a shame that the service inside said catering facilities, didn’t match the secret service standards “

There was talk of BR reopening the East Lancs line as a commuter line, I do not know what is happening about that or how it affects the morale of the staff.

The Talyllyn is a lovely railway.  Introduced to it by Rev Awdry's Railway Series.  First time I could have gone on it, it was a choice between that and climbing Cadir Idris.  I chose Cadir Idris, which was at the time a difficult decision, and I half regretted, but it was the right one as I have often been on the Talyllyn, but never climbed Cadir Idris again.  Also, it has the right gauge for 009.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, ChrisN said:

There was talk of BR reopening the East Lancs line as a commuter line, I do not know what is happening about that or how it affects the morale of the staff.

The Talyllyn is a lovely railway.  Introduced to it by Rev Awdry's Railway Series.  First time I could have gone on it, it was a choice between that and climbing Cadir Idris.  I chose Cadir Idris, which was at the time a difficult decision, and I half regretted, but it was the right one as I have often been on the Talyllyn, but never climbed Cadir Idris again.  Also, it has the right gauge for 009.

Yes that right Chris, BR or is it Northern here keep talking about opening to Bury, although that would duplicate the Manchester tram line.

Ive been a member of the TR since the 70’s and have never climbed Cader Idris. I have however been up the climb above Nant Gwernol - many years ago.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Afternoon all.

My one and only visit to the East Lancs was about 15 years ago. My wife asked me to drive her to a conference in Manchester. With a few hours free I went to the railway on a mid-week running day. There was just one train running, with a Jinty 0-6-0T. I don't remember any of the issues that you noticed Neal, but being some time ago... As a part of the country I don't often visit I haven't been back since.

I understand that the ELR has had some staffing/vo!unteer issues recently, particularly in regard to the treatment of a female footplate crew member, which might have some relevance.

As an aside the ELR is the home of the sole surviving GWR H33 restaurant car, though converted to a buffet car, and subsequently inspection saloon, during its BR career.

I'm sure that your visits will improve from here.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Nick Gough said:

My one and only visit to the East Lancs was about 15 years ago. My wife asked me to drive her to a conference in Manchester. With a few hours free I went to the railway on a mid-week running day. There was just one train running, with a Jinty 0-6-0T. I don't remember any of the issues that you noticed Neal, but being some time ago... As a part of the country I don't often visit I haven't been back since.

I understand that the ELR has had some staffing/vo!unteer issues recently, particularly in regard to the treatment of a female footplate crew member, which might have some relevance.

As an aside the ELR is the home of the sole surviving GWR H33 restaurant car, though converted to a buffet car, and subsequently inspection saloon, during its BR career.

I'm sure that your visits will improve from here.

Thanks Nick, I didn’t know the H33 was here.

I remember reading about the female footplate staff, but forgot it was here. That  might explain the issues, together with uncertainty about the lines future.

Today we leave for the GWSR which will be very different.

Thanks again,

As a footnote, one of the guys was saying that out of @300 volunteers, they only have @100 active volunteers - so it’s possible those 100 or so feel out upon.

Edited by Neal Ball
Volunteers
  • Like 6

12 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

I remember reading about the female footplate staff, but forgot it was here. That  might explain the issues, together with uncertainty about the lines future.

Today we leave for the GWSR which will be very different.

Thanks again,

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/07/2024 at 05:50, Neal Ball said:

Talking of a Toplight carriages, this has just appeared on Facebook, dated 1937 at Paddington.

The brake section of the carriage looks small, so presumably it is a Brake composite?

IMG_2873.jpeg.0e06314c73916f2431e0f11fc049e866.jpeg

The key to identifying the coach is partially hidden by the tea urn.  It’s a guards door.  Most, if not all, GWR brake composites do not have a separate guards door.  So it’s a brake third.  But then above the Refreshments sign is a little bit of a toplight window.  So there’s a compartment behind the trolley and not a second pair of double doors as most corridor brake thirds have.  That gets me to a non corridor brake third and diagram D49, with 6 compartments, appears to fit the bill.  Only  8 were built, it’s the suburban design before the Dapol version and it has real panels, not fake painted ones.

It would appear that the Refreshment Trolley has been posed in front of a local train that has arrived from Henley in Thames hauled by Churchward tank.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

17 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Here it is still in BR service at Reading in 1985, prior to Waterman buying it.

Mike WiltshireH339580.jpg.883ef3206f0b5309abd7b645464b4e0c.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Penrhos1920 said:

The key to identifying the coach is partially hidden by the tea urn.  It’s a guards door.  Most, if not all, GWR brake composites do not have a separate guards door.  So it’s a brake third.  But then above the Refreshments sign is a little bit of a toplight window.  So there’s a compartment behind the trolley and not a second pair of double doors as most corridor brake thirds have.  That gets me to a non corridor brake third and diagram D49, with 6 compartments, appears to fit the bill.  Only  8 were built, it’s the suburban design before the Dapol version and it has real panels, not fake painted ones.

It would appear that the Refreshment Trolley has been posed in front of a local train that has arrived from Henley in Thames hauled by Churchward tank.

Thanks for the details - I looked up D49 and didn’t see it on GWR coaches, is it the same / similar to a D47?

Thanks

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Thanks for the details - I looked up D49 and didn’t see it on GWR coaches, is it the same / similar to a D47?

Thanks

Sorry D49 is missing but I haven’t got a good photo of it.

The panel style is like D47 bars II, not the earlier D47 bars I.  But the arrangement of compartments and luggage compartment are the same as the later D67 which is on GWRCoaches

https://gwrcoaches.org.uk/ToplightsS.shtml

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

We have spent a lovely day at the GWSR - Gloucester Warwickshire Steam railway, running from Broadway to Cheltenham.

The staff / members / volunteers* are all so cheery - it’s a lovely railway, if you have not been you should go. 

I still need to finish sorting out my photos from the WSR & Talyllyn, then I will update the holiday / preserved railway gallery.

In the meantime, I found the refreshment trolley! It’s not the same as the one in the Facebook post from the 1930’s, but an unusual piece of kit nonetheless.

It was baking hot inside the full brake it’s displayed in otherwise I would have measured it up!

IMG_7856.jpeg.ce1186c3484c41297ec0ca67dc559ed6.jpeg

I wonder what would have been in the channel above the refreshments sign.

Incidentally, the label on the top says it was donated by David Shepherd, but says nothing about the year the trolley was built.

Todays locos were Modified Hall 4-6-0 Foremarke Hall no 7903 and Merchant Navy loco Peninsular & Oriental co no 35006 4-6-2 both locos were very smartly turned out and the crews made a fine job of the run.

In order to make the most of the line, we started at Broadway, next to the camp site:

• Broadway to Toddington 35006
  • Toddington to Broadway 7903
  • Broadway to Cheltenham racecourse 7903
  • Cheltenham racecourse to Toddington 7903
  • then return to Broadway behind 35006

*Almost everyone you meet is a volunteer - one train alone had 7 staff, plus footplate crew - there were possibly as many as 30 to 35 staff on duty - it’s a world away from the East Lancs Railway.

Every-time we have been, the staff have been terrific.

edit: looking at the photo again - does the trolley match the counter display unit and match the tea urn? Possibly not….

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

The GWSR is very special and has a huge group of volunteers across all their departments. I've been a member for many years and always visit when we are in the UK. The volunteers (they have very few paid staff) are always friendly and welcoming with superbly turned out locomotives, rolling stock, stations, lineside, station staff and locomotive crews. Good leadership and savvy investment in all areas of the railway make it enjoyable for both enthusiast and tourist.

As with all ventures revenue is important and a good visitor experience keeps the pounds flowing. There are many grumbles on here of the cost of new models, try keeping a real railway running. I've seen the numbers associated with overhauling 6024 (to mainline standards, but heritage is still high) they are eyewatering.

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3