Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium

Do you need a 6 ton crane for your yard, similar to the Henley-on-Thames one? Of course you do!

The crane in this thread is the mk1 version - Phil aka @Harlequin has continued to refine it and he is now pleased to launch the mk2. 

There are a few refinements over the one I have in the yard, so mine will get an upgrade as well.

I reckon  there needs to be a review in BRM @Phil Parker and @AY Mod these are lovely models.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

The GWS Didcot Tuesday post on Facebook focusses on golfing holidays, via the GWR: https://didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/product.php/77/tuesday-treasures/5ab6d6bf81910038c4b04eefdf584528

Which includes this lovely photo of one of the early Sunshine carriages - obviously a posed shot as there are no smoke troughs above the loco and the roof beams seem to be going the wrong way!

Note: The early Sunshine stock had the droplights and toilet windows in line with the top window, which showed an extra expanse of cream - hence why "Third" is on this section, rather than being placed on the chocolate. Later series had windows arranged differently. This will be a C70 all Third: https://gwrcoaches.org.uk/Sunshine.shtml

Sunshinecarriagein1930s.jpg.f0fb9dac8ee6a01e7bfcdeb5659e3c05.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Do you need a 6 ton crane for your yard, similar to the Henley-on-Thames one? Of course you do!

The crane in this thread is the mk1 version - Phil aka @Harlequin has continued to refine it and he is now pleased to launch the mk2. 

There are a few refinements over the one I have in the yard, so mine will get an upgrade as well.

I reckon  there needs to be a review in BRM @Phil Parker and @AY Mod these are lovely models.

I'd certainly be interested in getting one of those when they're available.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I'd certainly be interested in getting one of those when they're available.

I think they are available now - Phil? @Harlequin can confirm.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It's got a bit too warm and humid over the last few days for anymore spraying until the Autumn time. Yesterday the humidity was around 80% which was very uncomfortable.

So instead of spraying the C22, I started on a little "filler" project - an e151.

CometE151.jpg.df72fa33ef611b0f6b1678dc8339e67e.jpg

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/carriage/w49s/

The image from the Wizard / Comet website is for an e151 Composite Sunshine carriage 16 of which were built in 1936.

Instead of a full carriage build, I am doing a "cut n shut" on a Bachmann sunshine carriage. 

I will cover the build in a separate blog.

Suffice to say that yesterday the carriage was cut up and is ready for the sides to be applied today.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Looking lovely. Your lamp looks quite bright. Have you turned it down from as supplied. I think some people have had LED failure if they don’t.

Edited by Andy Keane
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

Looking lovely. Your lamp looks quite bright. Have you turned it down from as supplied. I think some people have had LED failure if they don’t.

Thanks Andy,

No I havent done anything with it at the moment - its on the large "to do" list 🤣

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Thursday 11th July:

I reckon we are days away from the next batch of Toplight Mainline and City carriages landing in the UK.

I still have a set of 6 shirtbutton liveried ones on order from Kernow models in Cornwall.

We leave home soon for our 2024 UK trip, so even allowing for shipping delays, they should be coming back to Spain with us at the end of the summer.

Our UK trip takes us to 6 preserved railways and of course to Pendon.

Hopefully, once the carriages are in the UK we will find out about the corridor Toplight stock.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Talking of a Toplight carriages, this has just appeared on Facebook, dated 1937 at Paddington.

The brake section of the carriage looks small, so presumably it is a Brake composite?

The refreshment trolley could make a nice cameo scene at Henley-on-Thames, does anyone make them? Do any full size trollies exist that Modelu could scan?

IMG_2873.jpeg.0e06314c73916f2431e0f11fc049e866.jpeg

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

The refreshment trolley could make a nice cameo scene at Henley-on-Thames, does anyone make them? Do any full size trollies exist that Modelu could scan?

I think the spokes might be a challenge, but saying that...

MudmagnetLSWRBarrow.jpeg.a7b84dc186bf34279cada6edac7541ac.jpeg

@mudmagnet has managed to produce the mesh sides on these and minute detail on lots of the other stuff he produces .

🤔

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

I think the spokes might be a challenge, but saying that...

MudmagnetLSWRBarrow.jpeg.a7b84dc186bf34279cada6edac7541ac.jpeg

@mudmagnet has managed to produce the mesh sides on these and minute detail on lots of the other stuff he produces .

🤔

Thanks Tim,

The wheels in the GWR photo almost look like the wheels from an old fashioned pram or wheelchair.

Regards, Neal.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
On 11/07/2024 at 06:50, Neal Ball said:

Talking of a Toplight carriages, this has just appeared on Facebook, dated 1937 at Paddington.

The brake section of the carriage looks small, so presumably it is a Brake composite?

Now compared to the lovely photo of the refreshment trolley - this one doesn't really cut the mustard - in terms of ecstatic appeal!

Refreshmenttrolley1.jpg.b1f6a34db2fa7fdd1012a8f6dea1c01d.jpg

This photo was taken at the GWR Steam museum a few years ago.

Back to that earlier Facebook photo - the caption says 1937 - but I reckon that might be a county tank 4-4-2T on the train - is that a Brake Composite Toplight as well? 

The County tank locos disappeared around 1934, so was this posed shot the first time a refreshment trolley had used the shirtbutton logo? Perhaps the trolley had just been refurbished?

Thanks, Neal.

Edited by Neal Ball
Date query.
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, russell price said:

Isn’t it a 6100 prarie in the photo? Tanks look too deep for a County Tank

In fairness it could be either…. The tanks don’t look that much different between the two locos….

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 11/07/2024 at 05:50, Neal Ball said:

IIRC there’s a refreshment trolley on display in the K40 BG at Toddington on the GWSR. However, I can’t recall whether it was a GWR or BR one. 

Cheers. 

CoY

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, County of Yorkshire said:

IIRC there’s a refreshment trolley on display in the K40 BG at Toddington on the GWSR. However, I can’t recall whether it was a GWR or BR one. 

Cheers. 

CoY

We will be at the GWSR in a couple of weeks, so thank you for that.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

We will be at the GWSR in a couple of weeks, so thank you for that.

I think I'll be at Didcot about that time Neil, getting a GWR fix 😁

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, longchap said:

I think I'll be at Didcot about that time Neil, getting a GWR fix 😁

Our “World tour of the UK” Also includes a visit to Didcot and Pendon. 

I think we have 6 preserved railways, plus Didcot and Pendon 

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium

Talking of incoming Dapol stock, I have just had an email from Rails of Sheffield this morning with decorated samples of the new Dapol Manor. Apparently stock is due into the UK in September this year.

It looks nice - I can't remember what the issues were with the first batch, but it looks nice!

DapolManor.jpg.e5e4569fb48e238538ab76935236c07b.jpg

However - I do not need another GWR tender loco.... repeat; I don't not need another 4-6-0 tender loco 🤣

But it does look nice.

I guess my next new loco will be an Accurascale 57xx - hopefully @Accurascale Fran will be tempting us with decorated samples very soon......

Now where are those Dapol Mainline & City carriages - have they landed at Tilbury or Felixstowe yet?

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Our “World tour of the UK” Also includes a visit to Didcot and Pendon. 

I think we have 6 preserved railways, plus Didcot and Pendon 

Enjoy Didcot and Pendon !

Yesterday ,Saturday 13th,  Pendon was celebrating its 70th anniversary so I took my wife ( I know how to treat the Sheilas!).

We enjoyed Pendon and the quality and the sheer size of their achievements are immense . I find it inspiring and daunting in equal measure.

We also experienced a warm and effective welcome from the volunteers. Pendon  is indeed a special place . 

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Dapol Manor.

It looks nice - I can't remember what the issues were with the first batch, but it looks nice!

DapolManor.jpg.e5e4569fb48e238538ab76935236c07b.jpg

Roman nose... 

image.png.b1301bc00fa2c34d01a5bdbf9f3dd380.png

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Roman nose... 

image.png.b1301bc00fa2c34d01a5bdbf9f3dd380.png

Oh yes! I remember now - dodgy firebox and dodgy smokebox.... have they been fixed?

Asking for a friend as I can not justify another Manor 4-6-0 at Henley-on-Thames.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5