Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Gold

BTW Neal my photo in that book is of Henley Signal Box.

PS. Have you tried looking here Neal (and anyone else who is interested)?

https://www.steampicturelibrary.com

I'm not sure to what extent their library of original photos is available as photos but it does include stuff grom the OPC collection.  I don't know if it still happens but what used to go on was that the NRM regularly printed a random number of what they assumed were GWR photos and sent the prints to Steam.  at Ateam they were put into albums while people tried to identify what/where the picture showed.

The ystem was unusual and I suppose a bit like Wiki because if you went to the library you could look through the albums and add information regarding the photos.  Hence there were some very obvious misidentifications among the good stuff.  I usually spent an hour or two there when visiting the annual model railway exhibition and there was some fascinating stuff - very obviously 'official' - although some less than interesting things.

On the itinerary for your next visit over here perhaps?

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

BTW Neal my photo in that book is of Henley Signal Box.

PS. Have you tried looking here Neal (and anyone else who is interested)?

https://www.steampicturelibrary.com

I'm not sure to what extent their library of original photos is available as photos but it does include stuff grom the OPC collection.  I don't know if it still happens but what used to go on was that the NRM regularly printed a random number of what they assumed were GWR photos and sent the prints to Steam.  at Ateam they were put into albums while people tried to identify what/where the picture showed.

The ystem was unusual and I suppose a bit like Wiki because if you went to the library you could look through the albums and add information regarding the photos.  Hence there were some very obvious misidentifications among the good stuff.  I usually spent an hour or two there when visiting the annual model railway exhibition and there was some fascinating stuff - very obviously 'official' - although some less than interesting things.

On the itinerary for your next visit over here perhaps?

Interestingly, we were talking about leaving a camp site a day early on the last trip over.... (we had only just arrived and took an instant dislike to it.) At the time we decided to stay put and grin it out.

Waking up the following morning, I walked to Moreton station and took an interest in the level crossing workings. 

One of the options of leaving early, was to visit Swindon.... but we stayed at Moreton and left the following day for our return to Henley-on-Thames and then Didcot on the Sunday.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Re: Errant decoder:

This afternoon has been taken up with a decoder that is playing sill B***ers 😕 which has been driving me mad.

I think I have made progress - mainly as all the sounds are back - some with a bit too much gusto! But its better than the silent version I had at the end of last week!

Re: Point rodding and Ground signals.

Whilst waiting for something to happen, I started to browse point rodding - @Graham T at Chuffnel Regis was making a few remarks about the lack of rodding at H-o-T. I started by looking at the Modelu site, but they really only have the stools, the Wills kits look a bit overscale, but the MSE ones on the Wizard models site, looks quite good. https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/wpcontent/uploads/2019/04/ls006_1.pdf

However, it's way down the list of priorities at the moment, as are ground signals, which I need to add at some point.

In the meantime, I want to sort out the front of the signal box to "plant it" better than it is at the moment. I also have a signalman to paint up and instal into the box.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

The video I made under Castle class 4-6-0 no 4073 is now on YouTube.

I nearly added captions to describe the various things you can see, but thought it might take something away from the feel of walking underneath.

It was fascinating to be able to walk under the loco.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

These look like a nice kit to build the GWR 1920's Ground signals::

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/signals/gs006/ 

Although no doubt fiddly to make....

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/gs006_1.pdf 

With an interesting article at GWR.org: http://www.gwr.org.uk/no-groundsigs.html

Looking through all my railway photos, it doesn't look as if I have specifically taken photos of ground signals - they get overlooked in favour of bigger things! Be it locos; carriages or stations.

They are not a priority at the moment though. But I think when I start to look at Ground signals, I will do to MSE / Wizard models and sort out the point rodding at the same time.... How to get an LED into the signal though.... To be continued!

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

The video I made under Castle class 4-6-0 no 4073 is now on YouTube.

I nearly added captions to describe the various things you can see, but thought it might take something away from the feel of walking underneath.

It was fascinating to be able to walk under the loco.

@1:13 is the ATC device which allowed GWR trains to run at speed in dense snow or fog.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Harlequin said:

@1:13 is the ATC device which allowed GWR trains to run at speed in dense snow or fog.

Pioneered on the GWR and tested on the Fairford branch.

I thought it fascinating to go underneath, particlularly to see everything in close up; the inside motion; the expansion links; brake pull rods.... then just how close the vacuum cylinder is to the ashpan.

Then of course to the tender and see the water scoop, ready to be dropped onto Goring troughs etc.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Pottering 🤣

I’ve been pottering about a bit today. I want to wrap up a few loose ends, which has included getting the static grass out.

The area running from the signal box to the water tower has now had its grass Finished and / or enhanced as required. It’s now all drying.

Once it’s dry, everything can go back and I can start to fix the fences into place.

1557B609-C856-43A0-B477-643228C05742.jpeg.307f52c463f10c69da1f1f3e1a1bbfca.jpeg

0B38B894-3677-4623-B693-447B4733B4CB.jpeg.d03f15c2824dec79c73a8337a37c271e.jpeg

7ADC65F5-4790-4018-841B-F07A8B0EE9E8.jpeg.158fdc902206b9f6fd0251d74a74101d.jpeg

Plus of course I need to plant the Signal Box a bit better.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Graham T said:

The grass is looking good Neal.  I'm biting my tongue with regard to what the signal box needs!

I still have the pages open from yesterdays “Rodding” conversation….. I just can’t get excited about it…. Whereas give me the static grass machine and I’ll have hours of fun 😎

Edited by Neal Ball
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

Well I have to agree with you there.  Installing point rodding is up there with ballasting in the fun stakes, it must be said.

Whilst static grass is, as you've probably heard me say, the modeller's equivalent of crack cocaine 🥸

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Graham T said:

Well I have to agree with you there.  Installing point rodding is up there with ballasting in the fun stakes, it must be said.

Whilst static grass is, as you've probably heard me say, the modeller's equivalent of crack cocaine 🥸

Never thought of it like that - brought a smile over lunch!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Re: Errant decoder:

This afternoon has been taken up with a decoder that is playing sill B***ers 😕 which has been driving me mad.

I think I have made progress - mainly as all the sounds are back - some with a bit too much gusto! But its better than the silent version I had at the end of last week!

Re: Point rodding and Ground signals.

Whilst waiting for something to happen, I started to browse point rodding - @Graham T at Chuffnel Regis was making a few remarks about the lack of rodding at H-o-T. I started by looking at the Modelu site, but they really only have the stools, the Wills kits look a bit overscale, but the MSE ones on the Wizard models site, looks quite good. https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/wpcontent/uploads/2019/04/ls006_1.pdf

However, it's way down the list of priorities at the moment, as are ground signals, which I need to add at some point.

In the meantime, I want to sort out the front of the signal box to "plant it" better than it is at the moment. I also have a signalman to paint up and instal into the box.

Modelu rodding rollers include GWR pattern rollers.  As all too often, they are mislabelled as 'rodding stools' which they very obviously are not because they are n models of the roller assemblies which were mounted on the stools.  Their cranks also look pretty good as well.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

Re: Chuff rates:

I’ve been reading about how to scientifically set the rate of the chuff! 

With the loco on the layout, at speed step 1, it took 1 minute 25 seconds for 1 revolution of the wheels.

CV267 is the key here…. Although John at YouChoos has also said that CV393 might need to be set to 64 as that quadruples the gap specified with CV267….

I’ve found a chuff rate calculator…. Which although specifying ESU decoders, I’m going to try and use (but I’m not using the CV settings he suggests as they will be ESU specific)

https://www.marks-trains.co.uk/information/chuff-rate-calculator/

On entering my 85 seconds in the calculator, it then tells me that I need to set CV57 to 664 and then try speed step 4 and adjust CV58 accordingly….. Which of course is all very well and good, but won’t work on my Zimo decoder as CV57/8 are not speed settings!

Back to the Zimo instructions, where the default value for CV267 is 90 - a lower value needs faster chuffs…. So I do need to increase the number.

At speed step 15, I have 5 chuffs in 1 revolution and that takes 7 seconds. That gives a CV value of 55, which gave a rate of 6 chuffs!

Ok then, the less scientific route! 

I changed CV267 to 125 and am happy with the result.

4059F728-220F-42AC-BCFA-B28B7EC3A038.jpeg.1b0fcb2a9348eadedc6621faad1c5b38.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

I just do not know quite what I am letting myself in for when my A/s sound fitted Manor (my first such loco) arrives.

Fortunately Neal, you seem to be developing a system.

Many thanks in advance!

Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, longchap said:

I just do not know quite what I am letting myself in for when my A/s sound fitted Manor (my first such loco) arrives.

Fortunately Neal, you seem to be developing a system.

Many thanks in advance!

Bill

To be honest it’s straightforward Bill, I’m sure you will be fine……

The Accurascale sound fitted loco, should not need its chuff settings changed…. The factory should have done that already. Perhaps @Accurascale Fran could confirm.

2 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Well done Neal, but I'm afraid that you lost me after scientifically...

Ah! I too was lost! 

It was a nice idea, rather than guessing, but the numbers weren’t going to work for a Zimo decoder.

What the table and instructions did though, was to set a method in play and I found counting the revolutions etc. a lot easier at the different speed step.

However! I then start to think about what speed step I need when the train enters the station…. Back to my Pendon comments above!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

However! I then start to think about what speed step I need when the train enters the station

What I plan to do (one fine day) is to tune my locos so that each speed step corresponds to 1mph. Like you, I will base this on wheel revolutions, for which I've developed a little calculator:

scale speed-rpm calculator.xls

Change any of the yellow cells and it works out the corresponding actual rpm/rps for you.

Edited by St Enodoc
clarification
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

What I plan to do (one fine day) is to tune my locos so that each speed step corresponds to 1mph. Like you, I will base this on wheel revolutions, for which I've developed a little calculator:

scale speed-rpm calculator.xls 20.5 kB · 4 downloads

Change any of the yellow cells and it works out the corresponding actual rpm/rps for you.

That looks excellent thanks St Enodoc.

Ive just put the loco away, so will look at it in a few days.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

It’s been a productive morning at Henley-on-Thames, where as well as setting up the Hall class loco, I’ve also had time to place a few Modelu items and also start on fixing the fence in place.

It looks as if the platform could do with a sweep!

51A31E3A-8D46-45F7-8444-B3DAB9A3BD8B.jpeg.de2384dce56b73b7fb2e114974c5bf78.jpeg

The addition of the fence makes a big difference to the model.

AE0379DB-45ED-4255-B601-1B470A1AFA58.jpeg.d72dad4fe5b9c4d545f6b43dd92e1a24.jpeg

Modelu characters and engine shed items have been added to the loco servicing roads. There is more work to do in this area, but it’s ok for now.

Edited by Neal Ball
Extra photo added
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Graham T said:

It's surprising how much difference something relatively simple like that can make - looks very nice!

Did you paint it matt or semi-gloss?

The fence?

Vallejo Black / Grey, so it’s a Matt finish.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1