Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andy Keane said:

This is clearly a serious addiction!

🤣 I've never thought my fleet of locos as an addiction 🤣 4 x Hall; 4 x Castle; 4 x Pannier tanks etc. thats normal right? 😎 🤣 

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

🤣 I've never thought my fleet of locos as an addiction 🤣 4 x Hall; 4 x Castle; 4 x Pannier tanks etc. thats normal right? 😎 🤣 

I wouldn't call the number of panniers normal Neal; looks a bit low to me!

• Agree 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
On 17/10/2024 at 06:14, Miss Prism said:

On 2804, I would say the lubricator and blower pipe cover is on the wrong side. Offhand, I can't find a 28xx pic with the cover on the lhs.

Also, for that earlier era, I'd be inclined to omit the rivets on the smokebox. Flush-riveted Standard No 1 boilers were still common into the mid-1930s. For a pre-1920 condition, the lubricator and blower-pipe cover was of the earlier form.

But maybe Dapol has a picture.

More likely a CAD error, as the blower valve and hence the cover is on the driver's side

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

It is within the bounds of normal. I believe @MrWolf formula of N+1 is applicable to all classes of locomotive not just Panniers . 

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

2 hours ago, kingmender said:

It is within the bounds of normal. I believe @MrWolf formula of N+1 is applicable to all classes of locomotive not just Panniers . 

Thank you.

Indeed it is, I think I have 4 x Dean Goods, 3 x Collett Goods, 3 x 14/48XX, 6 x Panniers.

Let's not even think about wagons...

As for the original application of the Wolf-Spiers Theorem on Vintage Motorcycles, this is the latest plus 1 as found, it's now almost ready for the road again.

IMG_20240513_1407293.jpg.713097d2b9363744c9ba74a2396b88d3.jpg

IMG_20240929_0808452.jpg.81dea6cdbdeb9d0b0c4dfeccb79e185a.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, kingmender said:

7 hours ago, lezz01 said:

I know I've said this before but panniers is like sausages in that there is no such thing as too many sausages.

Regards Lez. 

5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Thank you.

Indeed it is, I think I have 4 x Dean Goods, 3 x Collett Goods, 3 x 14/48XX, 6 x Panniers.

Let's not even think about wagons...

As for the original application of the Wolf-Spiers Theorem on Vintage Motorcycles, this is the latest plus 1 as found, it's now almost ready for the road again.

IMG_20240513_1407293.jpg.713097d2b9363744c9ba74a2396b88d3.jpg

IMG_20240929_0808452.jpg.81dea6cdbdeb9d0b0c4dfeccb79e185a.jpg

Thank you all - clearly I need more locos to catch up with @MrWolf 😎

and good luck with the motorbike.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't think you have anything to worry about on the locomotive front, there's nothing bigger than a Churchward Mogul on my layout, not enough room!

Still, if I add up the price of all those tempting 4-6-0 models, that's another bike rebuild paid for!

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

I don't think you have anything to worry about on the locomotive front, there's nothing bigger than a Churchward Mogul on my layout, not enough room!

Still, if I add up the price of all those tempting 4-6-0 models, that's another bike rebuild paid for!

Everything can be considered relative, particularly when frustrating choices come to mind. My life's long passion for old cars has become victim to reality as I now find my time is more happily spent with model railway pursuits and several vehicles are looking for new guardians. I've just sold a pre-war set of 6 Michelin Pilote wheels which will cover the cost of the materials for the new railway room, so life rolls happily along.

Enjoy your bikes Rob and the pleasure of enabling others to do likewise.

Edited by longchap
  • Like 10

Good afternoon Neal,

I also subscribe to Herr Wolf's theorem wrt to Panniers, currently up to eight and one to follow next year (7714).

You have scooped my total of 4-6-0s, only two Halls and one each of Castle, Manor and Grange (so far).

The Prairies seem to be breeding though, four of the blighters!

Looking forward to seeing what 2025 brings, based on gwrrob's nudge nudge, wink wink coughing fit with Steve of Accurascale 😁.

Cheers, Nigel.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, GMKAT7 said:

Good afternoon Neal,

I also subscribe to Herr Wolf's theorem wrt to Panniers, currently up to eight and one to follow next year (7714).

You have scooped my total of 4-6-0s, only two Halls and one each of Castle, Manor and Grange (so far).

The Prairies seem to be breeding though, four of the blighters!

Looking forward to seeing what 2025 brings, based on gwrrob's nudge nudge, wink wink coughing fit with Steve of Accurascale 😁.

Cheers, Nigel.

Hi Nigel,

You are ok - I only have one Manor and one Grange!

The cough etc. from @gwrrob was interesting - although I note the @SteveMc didn’t promise the cough, nudge would appear in 2025…. But I’m sure we will all find that Steve turns out to be Saint Steven…. 😎😎 in the fullness of time….. to be continued

Note: 2929 is spelt Saint Stephen

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

The carriage looks like my sort of thing Neal, what diagram is it? A kit I presume?

I cut down on the cars about ten years ago @longchap, I ended up with fourteen of the things ranging from 1938-66, bit I was never in the UK enough to do much with them.

I just have the Triumph Herald now and technically that's the Memsahib's.

Now that winter is approaching, getting on with the layout and stock is much more appealing.

There's an awful lot of projects to get on with...😳 

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

The carriage looks like my sort of thing Neal, what diagram is it? A kit I presume?

I cut down on the cars about ten years ago @longchap, I ended up with fourteen of the things ranging from 1938-66, bit I was never in the UK enough to do much with them.

I just have the Triumph Herald now and technically that's the Memsahib's.

Now that winter is approaching, getting on with the layout and stock is much more appealing.

There's an awful lot of projects to get on with...😳 

Hi Rob, the carriage is C22 from Worsley Works. Lovely kit.

Regards, Neal.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Hi Nigel,

You are ok - I only have one Manor and one Grange!

The cough etc. from @gwrrob was interesting - although I note the @SteveMc didn’t promise the cough, nudge would appear in 2025…. But I’m sure we will all find that Steve turns out to be Saint Steven…. 😎😎 in the fullness of time….. to be continued

Note: 2929 is spelt Saint Stephen

It was actually @Steve Purves Neal .😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Steve Purves said:

Oh yes, I definitely did have a cough and all things considered its a logical cough that takes in to account who else is having a cough too

Ah! Interesting that so many have err coughs.... I am not sure if I should reach for the Venos.... Or my credit card 😎

Obviously, if its the latter, then a Saint would be nice :-) - Very nice even....

B-2999LadyofLegendHDRr.jpg.1123a09aa178ff3567524588d4e8796f.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Ah! Interesting that so many have err coughs.... I am not sure if I should reach for the Venos.... Or my credit card 😎

Obviously, if its the latter, then a Saint would be nice :-) - Very nice even....

B-2999LadyofLegendHDRr.jpg.1123a09aa178ff3567524588d4e8796f.jpg

I do like a Saint. Used to drive a 1/5 scale one at Stapleford many years ago.

Edited by Steve Purves
  • Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Steve Purves said:

I do like a Saint. Used to drive a 1/5 scale one at Stapleford many years ago.

I haven't driven one, but I did have an enjoyable cab ride at Didcot in 2022 on 2999.

• Like 6

Good morning folks,

Well, those of us attending the NEC November show will have to take earplugs and face masks for all the coughing that 'may' be going on.

Still, it is the season for coughs and sneezes.

A good time to be a G/WR enthusiast methinks 😊

Nice to see Chris' MBV progress too.

Cheers, Nigel.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, GMKAT7 said:

Good morning folks,

Well, those of us attending the NEC November show will have to take earplugs and face masks for all the coughing that 'may' be going on.

Still, it is the season for coughs and sneezes.

A good time to be a G/WR enthusiast methinks 😊

Nice to see Chris' MBV progress too.

Cheers, Nigel.

I shall have to have hourly progress reports from the NEC about the "state of coughing" 🤣

Yes Nigel That MBV does look very nice from @chuffinghell - with the amount of milk that was dispatched from Henley-on-Thames, I wonder if I could justify one.... 

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1