Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Harlequin said:

The drawings for Lot 1410, Diagram A28, show a single leaf door to the driver's compartment, sliding into a pocket to the left (if facing the driver's compartment).

They don't give any clues about glazing in the doors unfortunately.

Thanks Phil, I wonder if it is a preservation change then.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, MAP66 said:

Those split sliding doors look like they could be original, so I would go with glazed like in the photos. I did put glazed doors in the passenger entrance vestibule but settled on solid for the drivers cab and luggage compartment. 

Can you recall the year you saw the 14XX and autocoach at WSR and would you know if they are still there. 

A couple of Autocoaches at the WSR:

This one was from a gala in 2011 and is seen on the approaches to Blue Anchor station. During this gala weekend, the auto coach was used on shuttles to Norton Fitzwarren from Bishops Lydeard.

45xx2-6-2Tno5542WSR2011r.jpg.0a7f0fbaf49a1f1f65b308d34a9066d6.jpg

Loco no 5542 which was due to be withdrawn at the end off its 10 year ticket, together with auto coach no 178.

During a gala in 2014 loco number 1450 was with Autocoach 238 named Chaffinch on Minehead to Dunster shuttles:

3-Minehead1450Autocoach238ar.jpg.196e7be6db10f08f8066990fade7e3e6.jpg

At one time Autiocoach no 169 was under restoration at Williton. But given this is owned by 5542 Ltd and the loco is now at the SDR, I am not sure where the carriage is.

Thank you for the search of old WSR photos - I have found loads that I have not processed. Thats today on the terrace sorted out :-)

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for digging those images out Neal, with more to come it seems, Me and the Mrs became members of the WSR a few months ago and have just received the Autumn journal number 186. Within this under the 'departmental news section', there is a small piece on Autocoach 169 which WSR are in the process of restoring. It doesn't mention if they actually own it now and I assume that the work is being undertaken at Williton. I will try and find out more.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

The word .doc would be terrific for the moquette thank you.

<puts hand up> I'd be interested in that too!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, 57xx said:

Send me a PM and I'll send it over later today.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 57xx said:

Its a very nice file - together with photos of Mark's Autocoach interior.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

single sliding door on 190.

Mike Wiltshire

auto_cab.1.jpg.761a40c05b854ae63e56cdbfe9738444.jpg

Thanks Mike, Do you know if it was glazed or solid?

I am currently processing a few hundred WSR photos and am hoping I might have some more Autocoach interiors.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Miss Prism said:

If @MAP66 is agreeable and sends me the file, I will host it on gwr.org.uk as a downloadable.

Totally agreeable, please send a PM and I'll send it over.

• Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

Thanks Mike, Do you know if it was glazed or solid?

I am currently processing a few hundred WSR photos and am hoping I might have some more Autocoach interiors.

From memory it was a solid.

I have an interior shot from BR days when it was all wood.

Mike

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

I've always thought that Collett autocoach interior doors were single, and Churchward autocoach interior doors were double. That maybe is too simplistic!

Glass or no glass? Any suggestions?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Glass or no glass? Any suggestions?

I would go with glass but then I always did like to make a job harder for myself hence both EM and P4 in one lifetime but hey ho at least I'm gonna die happy, frustrated sure but happy. Ultimately it's down to what you are going to be happiest with as you're the one building it. We will still cheer you on whether you go with glass or no glass.

Regards Lez.

Err sorry I'm in a funny sort of mood today.  

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

I'm inclined to say no glass. I don't think glass was applied to the interior doors to the cabs until the railcars arrived. See also here. W22W has no doors at the passenger vestibule.

Thank you for these photos @Miss Prism they are great. Its no glass then 😎 that certainly makes it easier.

Thanks again, Neal.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Square drop frame 28xx anyone?

IMG_2938.jpeg.73c2739675cf5c9baa07c36b1374633a.jpeg

Or the 1930’s shirtbutton livery - with a Collet cab, Round drop frame and fire irons tunnel

IMG_2939.jpeg.69b489d15673582f2d4d49abdb97e585.jpeg

The project update from Dapol is here: https://www.Dapol.co.uk/blogs/news/oo-gauge-gwr-2-8-0-28xx-update

Edited by Neal Ball
Typo link
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 2804, I would say the lubricator and blower pipe cover is on the wrong side. Offhand, I can't find a 28xx pic with the cover on the lhs.

Also, for that earlier era, I'd be inclined to omit the rivets on the smokebox. Flush-riveted Standard No 1 boilers were still common into the mid-1930s. For a pre-1920 condition, the lubricator and blower-pipe cover was of the earlier form.

But maybe Dapol has a picture.

Edited by Miss Prism
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Thank you.

25 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

On 2804, I would say the lubricator and blower pipe cover is on the wrong side. Offhand, I can't find a 28xx pic with the cover on the lhs.

Also, for that earlier era, I'd be inclined to omit the rivets on the smokebox. Flush-riveted Standard No 1 boilers were still common into the mid-1930s. For a pre-1920 condition, the lubricator and blower-pipe cover was of the earlier form.

But maybe Dapol has a picture.

Interesting stuff thank you. I too wonder if they have photos.

Although, there seems to be a number of variations which is good.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

Neal, did 28xx locos often appear at Henley or are we talking rule 1 here - I know I will be at Helston!

I already have 2 x 28xx and a 72xx - none of which would have appeared!

Freight trains would have been exclusively hauled by an 0-6-0PT during my 1930's time frame.

Interestingly, in 1935 28,644 tons of general goods were received, (the stats dont say how many wagons that is), plus 39 cattle wagons.

• Like 8