Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

These two lurk in The Profanium,

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

As does this and often the young lady in black in the background.

Two things immediately spring to mind;

• I need an alternative name to 'the workshop'
  • Maybe should have spent more of my youth misspending my time, as one can fit way more old motor bikes in a workshop than old cars

Okay, so I'm moving on one of the cars to make room for the Great Western Railway, but will now restore the remailing Velosolex so at least I can claim to have a working moto in the place, Big shame it only has 38cc though 😬

Well done Rob, those are lovely bikes and so obviously in good working order. Proper!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I did indeed discuss such a possibility with someone several years back but part of the problem for them (they were looking for new projects at the time) was the lack of original interior information and the idea was never taken up.  We also discussed the vehicle which became W139W, i.e. the whitewash coach, which - albeit regularly (it seemed) altered - had the distinction of being the last Toplight vehicle to remain in use - not that you'd know that from its present state,  But neither took off as a project and they went for locos instead.

BTW looking at Neal's comment I'm not sure to what extent an Indicator Shelter would have been used with the pre-Hawksworth dynamometer car as full detail road testing seems to have been more a later thing at Swindon as they previously had the test plant which Churchward had installed.

David Geen has/had a mass of information on no 7 which he supplied for the production of a 7mm scale model. There was also suppose to be a 4mm version produced at the same time but the 4mm one never happened.

Indicator shelters were used several times. There were two men inside the wooden cage, with a hinged door to enter/exit, usually on the drivers side. In later years the riders were linked to no 7 via headsets/mics. Images to hand have 1009, 4905, 4930, 4074, 6001,6005, 7916, all fitted with a shelter.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

45 minutes ago, longchap said:

Two things immediately spring to mind;

• I need an alternative name to 'the workshop'
  • Maybe should have spent more of my youth misspending my time, as one can fit way more old motor bikes in a workshop than old cars

Okay, so I'm moving on one of the cars to make room for the Great Western Railway, but will now restore the remailing Velosolex so at least I can claim to have a working moto in the place, Big shame it only has 38cc though 😬

Well done Rob, those are lovely bikes and so obviously in good working order. Proper!

Thanks, I'd love to have a layout around the garage, but as I make part of my living in there it can be a filthy, noisy place with plenty of opportunities for setting things on fire.

We are lucky enough to have a large spare room that doubles up as my railway room and art studio and Miss (Dr.) Riding Hood's study and music room.

Never mind the 38cc, it still has the Grin Factor, I have a 98cc 2 speed Excelsior which I am holding off restoring until I have the layout more or less complete. I didn't say finished! I did have several cars at one point, but it became ridiculously expensive to store them.

Money that I can spend on more trains and more motorbikes. There's also six bicycles in the workshop, they're used for every trip under three miles and regular exercise.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

David Geen has/had a mass of information on no 7 which he supplied for the production of a 7mm scale model. There was also suppose to be a 4mm version produced at the same time but the 4mm one never happened.

Indicator shelters were used several times. There were two men inside the wooden cage, with a hinged door to enter/exit, usually on the drivers side. In later years the riders were linked to no 7 via headsets/mics. Images to hand have 1009, 4905, 4930, 4074, 6001,6005, 7916, all fitted with a shelter.

Mike Wiltshire

Interesting Mike thank you.

The conditions inside the wooden cage must have been awful. It also begs the question about the value of anything they would find…. Apart from seeing the road ahead, I can’t really see the benefit…. Exhaust beat, I suppose, but with no 7 as the first carriage, you would also hear that.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

The conditions inside the wooden cage must have been awful. It also begs the question about the value of anything they would find…. Apart from seeing the road ahead, I can’t really see the benefit…. Exhaust beat, I suppose, but with no 7 as the first carriage, you would also hear that.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

before the advent of modern electronics, you could not take reliable "cylinder indicator diagrams" - to show the real working and efficiency of each cylinder - without someone riding on the front of the loco. Hence the shed - the bloke(s) inside would have been too busy to do much looking out. I'm just glad I never had to take indicator diagrams on a moving vehicle.

Look up "steam engine indicator diagram" on Google.

Regards

Chris H

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

3 minutes ago, Metropolitan H said:

before the advent of modern electronics, you could not take reliable "cylinder indicator diagrams" - to show the real working and efficiency of each cylinder - without someone riding on the front of the loco. Hence the shed - the bloke(s) inside would have been too busy to do much looking out. I'm just glad I never had to take indicator diagrams on a moving vehicle.

Look up "steam engine indicator diagram" on Google.

Regards

Chris H

Fascinating stuff, although clearly very technical as well.

Thanks guys

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

After a gap of just over a week, work continues on the interior lights for the H44 3rd class restaurant carriage.

I needed to do some fault tracing, which proved very straightforward, phew! So they are all working correctly now. I also shortened a couple of cables, as I thought some were visible in the previous photos.

Then attention turned to the pick ups, which will be on one bogie only. These are new 14mm wheels from 51a models (Wizard). In this photo they have a dab of conductive paint applied and the pick up springs from DCC concepts with a bit of heat shrink added.

944AA8D3-D2E3-461D-9078-C3016CEF979E.jpeg.8c10de2f5fae07d4f3b863ed5c4d8458.jpeg

The paint will be painted black, which won’t affect the conductivity and then connected into the lighting circuit.

I will then need to add a stay alive circuit and change the couplings and it’s ready to go on the tracks behind the H43 (1st class)

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Neal, you're clearly something of a buff where coaches are concerned.  Would there have been any chance of Centenary stock ever finding its way onto a branch like Chuffnell Regis?  Or a slightly larger version of it, which is what I'm hoping CR Mk II will be.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Neal, you're clearly something of a buff where coaches are concerned.  Would there have been any chance of Centenary stock ever finding its way onto a branch like Chuffnell Regis?  Or a slightly larger version of it, which is what I'm hoping CR Mk II will be.

Centenary stock was restricted when it came to secondary routes and branches although it was allowed over a surprising number of ex GWR/originally GWR sponsored branches and secondary routes especially following the 1946 reassessment of restrictions.  

But if I'm reading things right Chuffnell Regis appears to have sited itself in the Wye Valley and the Wye Valley was one line for which I can find no original documentation evidence (*) of Centenary stock being permitted to run over it.  ross to Monmouth,  yes (after 1946) but Wye Valley no way I'm afraid.

Note * - Documentary evidence  I have all the originally published sources of Centenary stock route availability issued between 1936 and 1960.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 5

Symonds Yat Tunnel was a sharply-curved tight bore, so I guess fattie things like Centenaries were out of the question. Although I believe 70' autotrailers were allowed through it, so maybe it wasn't so bad. In other words, I don't know the answer, but from another point of view, what would fancy corridor stuff like Centenaries be doing around the Forest of Dean in the first place?

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

Which is why I stick with a couple of B sets and a motley collection of antiquated stock from lord knows where.

In my case the trains end up in a bay platform at Craven Arms, head on to the erstwhile Bishop's Castle Railway platform, only the goods trains are sent onwards.

But your fictional destination obviously has corridor stock coming from a main line somewhere?

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

Thanks Graham, I’m not sure I’m that much of an authority…. 

But of course given their width, they wouldn’t even have been seen at Henley-on -Thames back in the day. My rationale is that I like the stock and then used the excuse of the Regatta traffic.

Of course though, there were only 2 sets and they were fully utilised on PDN to PZ.

27 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Centenary stock was restricted when it came to secondary routes and branches although it was allowed over a surprising number of ex GWR/originally GWR sponsored branches and secondary routes especially following the 1946 reassessment of restrictions.  

But if I'm reading things right Chuffnell Regis appears to have sited itself in the Wye Valley and the Wye Valley was one line for which I can find no original documentation evidence (*) of Centenary stock being permitted to run over it.  ross to Monmouth,  yes (after 1946) but Wye Valley no way I'm afraid.

Note * - Documentary evidence  I have all the originally published sources of Centenary stock route availability issued between 1936 and 1960.

Thanks Mike

7 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Symonds Yat Tunnel was a sharply-curved tight bore, so I guess fattie things like Centenaries were out of the question. Although I believe 70' autotrailers were allowed through it, so maybe it wasn't so bad. In other words, I don't know the answer, but from another point of view, what would fancy corridor stuff like Centenaries be doing around the Forest of Dean in the first place?

Am I making it up…. Was there a story during WW2 about the Royal Train being berthed in the Forest overnight, with the Royal party on board? Perhaps though the Royal stock was to “narrow gauge” dimensions!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Thanks Mike.  You're absolutely right about Chuffnell Regis being based in the Wye Valley.  But CR Mk II will probably be located in its "real" location - at least according to Wodehouse - to allow me to run stuff like my ex-SDJR 7F.  So, although a branch, perhaps a rather more substantial one.

Of course there's always Rule 1, as well!

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Having been away on one of our regular pilgrimages to the Delightful Duchy I haven't kept up well with the gossip on RMweb but I did pick up some preliminary frothing regarding an announcement that we might only need one of. On the way home we called in at the South Devon Railway and lucked into a trip in this splendid vehicle. Special saloon 9044. £2.50 supplement each way and the bargain of the century I thought. Carol was amazed that we were even allowed to ride in it.

Now. 9044 has had a very long career and, as far as I know, there was only one of it's type. It could well have visited most corners to the system in it's 110 odd year career on the big railway. I'll put my order in for one I think. @rapidoandy

IMG_9082.jpeg.baf8cb3b790071e310141f1dd1f73845.jpeg

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

Having been away on one of our regular pilgrimages to the Delightful Duchy I haven't kept up well with the gossip on RMweb but I did pick up some preliminary frothing regarding an announcement that we might only need one of. On the way home we called in at the South Devon Railway and lucked into a trip in this splendid vehicle. Special saloon 9044. £2.50 supplement each way and the bargain of the century I thought. Carol was amazed that we were even allowed to ride in it.

Now. 9044 has had a very long career and, as far as I know, there was only one of it's type. It could well have visited most corners to the system in it's 110 odd year career on the big railway. I'll put my order in for one I think. @rapidoandy

Now that would be very nice Trevor….. Attached to a nice Regatta special… oh and I agree @rapidoandy would do a great job! Thanks 😎😎

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

A beautiful coach and I also saw it back in July, it’s currently on loan from the Bodmin & Wenford Railway.

1769878471_IMG_04003900.jpg.bae898e0ad1a776f50ce7c8b782af46d.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
add a photo
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday, I started thinking “what if” we could fly into Birmingham and do the Warley show this year… plus then we could get into West London to see my parents.

Ive just had a look….

Jet2 into BHX €170 (one way)
Premier Inn BHX £220 (at the airport was another £100) although that was 2 nights.

Rail journey with Cross Country £145 for some reason Avanti won’t give details of their weekend services, so this came from national rail, where several services don’t show the prices!

The easy bit was EasyJet from Gatwick back to Alicante at about £80 for the two of us.

I think I might leave it this year! There is no urgency to get to Warley for anything in particular, it would have been nice.

Flying into Luton with EasyJet would have been cheaper, as would staying at Coventry, but you’ve still got the hassle about getting around etc.

Never mind, planning next years motorhome road trip will be a lot more fun! France is on the itinerary for 2023…..tbc

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

4 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Yesterday, I started thinking “what if” we could fly into Birmingham and do the Warley show this year… plus then we could get into West London to see my parents.

Ive just had a look….

Jet2 into BHX €170 (one way)
Premier Inn BHX £220 (at the airport was another £100) although that was 2 nights.

Rail journey with Cross Country £145 for some reason Avanti won’t give details of their weekend services, so this came from national rail, where several services don’t show the prices!

The easy bit was EasyJet from Gatwick back to Alicante at about £80 for the two of us.

I think I might leave it this year! There is no urgency to get to Warley for anything in particular, it would have been nice.

Flying into Luton with EasyJet would have been cheaper, as would staying at Coventry, but you’ve still got the hassle about getting around etc.

Never mind, planning next years motorhome road trip will be a lot more fun! France is on the itinerary for 2023…..tbc

That's a pity Neal. It does make you wonder why some transport options and accommodation have to be so much more expensive than others.

The added complication for this year's show is that it may or may not be affected by yet another rail strike. Therefore, I will probably book the advanced NEC car parking, this time, rather than get caught out at the last minute.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Sounds like un bon plan, particularly if you're passing near to Saumur!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Graham T said:

Thanks Mike.  You're absolutely right about Chuffnell Regis being based in the Wye Valley.  But CR Mk II will probably be located in its "real" location - at least according to Wodehouse - to allow me to run stuff like my ex-SDJR 7F.  So, although a branch, perhaps a rather more substantial one.

Of course there's always Rule 1, as well!

Centenaries were not permitted to run over the lines of any of the lesser Companies - at all!   At, officially, 9ft 7" wide they were well out of gauge for many bits of railway, including some GWR main line routes in the Northern Division although the 1946 reassessment did allow them a wider field of operation (should it ever be required).

They were - of course - permitted on the Henley  branch

17 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Am I making it up…. Was there a story during WW2 about the Royal Train being berthed in the Forest overnight, with the Royal party on board? Perhaps though the Royal stock was to “narrow gauge” dimensions!

Quite possible as it could have depended on which stock was used.  and also just how far it went along the branch and various other things.

BTW one very different thing to watch out for with the various older style generic coaches now in the market id s to try to avoid something based on a any branch line where 6 wheel coaching stock was prohibited.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Centenaries were not permitted to run over the lines of any of the lesser Companies - at all!   At, officially, 9ft 7" wide they were well out of gauge for many bits of railway, including some GWR main line routes in the Northern Division although the 1946 reassessment did allow them a wider field of operation (should it ever be required).

They were - of course - permitted on the Henley  branch

IIRC the Super Saloons - of similar dimensions to the Centenaries - carried the legend,

"Not to work over the Eastern and Western valleys or north of Saltney junction"

In a similar vein the Didcot railway centre diesel shunter, in the 1970s, was marked,

"Not to work West of Fishguard".

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

On 26/09/2022 at 14:53, longchap said:

Hmm, just as wet here Neal, as I ask Hattons for spare Genesis coach end steps and continue running in a long line of locomotives. Just finished the Hornby Prairie and about to do the Dapol next.

Stay warm and dry.

Have you had a satisfactory response yet from Hattons? I have a small issue with one coach (of eleven) - a small part missing when assembled - and was merely offered a refund or replacement (but replace with what, as they are sold out...?). They apparently don't appear to have any gash ones to cannibalise either.

• Friendly/supportive 4