Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Gold
On 17/09/2022 at 18:01, Neal Ball said:

I worked out that due West from here is Seville, which apparently is very nice. On the coast you get to Faro, Portugal - which is about 800km away. 

I've been there (Faro that is - definitely worth the trip.

There are of course things Harlequin didn't mention seeing at Kernow such as the various Rapido items of Western inclination and obviously he didn't mention the things he didn't know about but then neither can anybody else -because we don't know about them.  (Well I do have an idea about one of them but I can't say who is making it or what it is but I know Neal will almost inevitably buy one 😇 )

BTE what I would really like to see from Dapol are some 4mm scale Western tubular steel post bracket signals to the same standards as the LM version they were showing down in Camborne - incredible thing and looking truly excellent.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

There are of course things Harlequin didn't mention seeing at Kernow such as the various Rapido items of Western inclination and obviously he didn't mention the things he didn't know about but then neither can anybody else -because we don't know about them.  (Well I do have an idea about one of them but I can't say who is making it or what it is but I know Neal will almost inevitably buy one 😇 )

BTE what I would really like to see from Dapol are some 4mm scale Western tubular steel post bracket signals to the same standards as the LM version they were showing down in Camborne - incredible thing and looking truly excellent.

You are such a tease Mike!😀

will I, also,” almost inevitably” be buying one?😀

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Evening Mike, good as ever to have your messages on the H-o-T thread 😎

I’ve not been to Faro… the only place to date we have been in Portugal is Lisbon and that was quite a City to visit. We did the trams of course, both a new one and an old one. (The following week, one of the old trams derailed and ploughed into a shop - several people were injured sadly.)

We also found a lovely shop, selling some great lanterns, which was so big there’s no way we could have got it on an airplane (unless you pay excess baggage etc.) we still have it with us now.

It was the time of Robbie’s xx birthday and we had sailed around the canaries. Lisbon was the last port before Southampton- Robbie got to perform on the sail away party as we passed under the impressive bridge over the harbour.

Then onto your clues about the Kernow visit and some potential new items I might be interested in….. I note you say I might only want one…. 517 class? Metro tank? The Great Bear? Am I close! 🤣🤣 

Thanks for the “tease” it looks like 2023 might be expensive…..

1 hour ago, john dew said:

You are such a tease Mike!😀

will I, also,” almost inevitably” be buying one?😀

I note as above, I might only want one John. I wonder if it’s time specific and might be too late for your era…😎

Intriguing no doubt….

As it’s September, I guess it’s too early for a 2023 wish list 😎😎

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Of course, I should have added, that maybe Phil @Harlequin did know, assumed we all knew and has already placed his 1 order 🤣🤣🤣

😆 No, I am as much in the dark about this tease as anyone!

I wonder if I will want to buy one of these mystery things?

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

😆 No, I am as much in the dark about this tease as anyone!

I wonder if I will want to buy one of these mystery things?

But only one? Why one? 

Of course doh! It’s a GWR RTR 70ft turntable 🤣🤣 only about 2 years too late 🤣

So it’s not that then… can’t be some K22 or similar, as we would all buy a few… can’t be another diagram of Toad…. Or shunters trucks…. Perhaps an Autocoach….

Clearly I’m way off the mark… or am I ? 😇

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Single slip carriage? One was always part of the branch train to Henley-on-Thames in the 1930’s… that being the case, can I specify which manufacturer makes it please 😎

Btw I don’t need the slip equipment to work 🤣🤣

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Are you sure that @Captain Kernow didn't ghost-write that bit?

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Are you sure that @Captain Kernow didn't ghost-write that bit?

Many years ago I was involved in training the Good Captain in the procedures to be used on BR Driver-to-Shore radio.  Now it might well be that in stressing the need for correct procedure I might well have had to use a number of caveats and as a result said captain acquired a new approach although that might also have been sparked by my standard response to questions which was 'yes/no/maybe'.

In order to offer some degree of comfort the item I mentioned was not at the Kernow anniversary event (but for some of us some excellent pasties were) nor was it mentioned by anybody except me although i have no connection with it whatsoever.  Certain of those who have posted recently might buy one but then of course they might not.  When it is announced - some way away I would think? -  I will tell you what it is.

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Hornby 9F:

Its clearly not my timeframe, but I had an email from Hornby yesterday, now that their new 9F is in stock.

1D9B927E-C08F-4EBB-9A55-E044813E1DF6.jpeg.a809c4f5258ce0d1e5f9d2a7d9fb9798.jpeg

As I say, it’s not my timeframe, so will not be adding it to the loco stock…. But it’s £253 - wow!

It looks very nice and I suspect they will sell loads… but at that price, I hope it’s got all the bells and whistles!

The spec includes a diecast chassis and boiler, designed to increase the weight…. Is it the best 9F ever? Let’s hope so.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 21/09/2022 at 16:46, The Stationmaster said:

Many years ago I was involved in training the Good Captain in the procedures to be used on BR Driver-to-Shore radio.  Now it might well be that in stressing the need for correct procedure I might well have had to use a number of caveats and as a result said captain acquired a new approach although that might also have been sparked by my standard response to questions which was 'yes/no/maybe'.

In order to offer some degree of comfort the item I mentioned was not at the Kernow anniversary event (but for some of us some excellent pasties were) nor was it mentioned by anybody except me although i have no connection with it whatsoever.  Certain of those who have posted recently might buy one but then of course they might not.  When it is announced - some way away I would think? -  I will tell you what it is.

Can I place my pasty order now @The Stationmaster

When I lived in Truro…. Many years ago…. The best Pasties in town were the Steak and Stilton from I think Warrens Bakery.

As for any speculation about new RTR items that I may, or may not be buying…. Clearly the jury is out….

I think so far, it might be… Autocoach; single slip carriage; Restaurant carriage / Buffet carriage…. Working on the basis of something, we might only buy one of…

Thats it! 

Back to my holiday in sunny Spain:

561A39ED-0AC0-48B7-8118-953535334550.jpeg.28f7fcfbc4b61c92b9740380ff0cbf69.jpeg

This is Peniscola and it’s Castle seen during my 10k run this morning.

The castle is often used for filming, most recently it was for Game of Thrones.

Edited by Neal Ball
Photo added
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold
On 16/09/2022 at 23:34, Harlequin said:

Going off on a tangent: One of the things that irks me about the London-centric media in this country is that they consider Gloucestershire and Wiltshire to be in "The Westcountry" but there's so much more of the country further West than that!

I live 140 miles further West from Swindon, in a place called "West Devon" and I drove almost due West for 1hour and 40 mins today to Camborne and I still didn't reach the most Westerly place in England!

I think I've made my point...

😜

I don't think it's got anything to do with "london centric" media. According to YouGov, more people in the South West of England think that Wiltshire and Gloucestershire are part of the West Country than the UK as a whole.

Which counties make up the West Country? | YouGov

🙂

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, 57xx said:

I don't think it's got anything to do with "london centric" media. According to YouGov, more people in the South West of England think that Wiltshire and Gloucestershire are part of the West Country than the UK as a whole.

Which counties make up the West Country? | YouGov

🙂

having grown up in Devon and lived in Wiltshire, Bristol and now Gloucestershire.  I would definitely consider Wilts and Glos part of the West Country.  Although in the case of Glos it’s probably only applicable to part of the county rather than the whole…

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

We had a bit of fun in GW150 year regarding the first run by 'City of Truro' following its somewhat extended overhaul and it was described by Bernard Staite of SLOA as being 'in the West Country'.  Lots of folk went barmy thinking that it would be going to the West of England (i.e Devon and Cornwall) but it really did run in the West Country for part of its trip - from Gloucester to Newport.

I think going  to the north end of Gloucestershire might be a bit tenuous for 'West Country' but it, as Wiltshire, is normally counted as part of the West Country .

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

13 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

On the basis that it's something we'd only need one of, my guess is the Whitewash Coach. Wouldn't dare run it on my track, though.

As the LNER Dynamometer car sold so well I considered GWR no7 might be expected sometime.

Mike Wiltshire

dyno_lr.JPG.96adea9cd3f60aa822ccb7c0ef53372b.JPG

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

As the LNER Dynamometer car sold so well I considered GWR no7 might be expected sometime.

Mike Wiltshire

Is that at the South Devon Railway? It looks a bit uncared for…

Presumably any GWR dynamometer carriage would come complete with the wooden box for the loco smokebox. Am I right in thinking someone would have been in there when the loco was moving?

That can’t have been fun sitting in there at speed.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

Mike Wiltshire

I did indeed discuss such a possibility with someone several years back but part of the problem for them (they were looking for new projects at the time) was the lack of original interior information and the idea was never taken up.  We also discussed the vehicle which became W139W, i.e. the whitewash coach, which - albeit regularly (it seemed) altered - had the distinction of being the last Toplight vehicle to remain in use - not that you'd know that from its present state,  But neither took off as a project and they went for locos instead.

BTW looking at Neal's comment I'm not sure to what extent an Indicator Shelter would have been used with the pre-Hawksworth dynamometer car as full detail road testing seems to have been more a later thing at Swindon as they previously had the test plant which Churchward had installed.

• Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I did indeed discuss such a possibility with someone several years back but part of the problem for them (they were looking for new projects at the time) was the lack of original interior information and the idea was never taken up.  We also discussed the vehicle which became W139W, i.e. the whitewash coach, which - albeit regularly (it seemed) altered - had the distinction of being the last Toplight vehicle to remain in use - not that you'd know that from its present state,  But neither took off as a project and they went for locos instead.

BTW looking at Neal's comment I'm not sure to what extent an Indicator Shelter would have been used with the pre-Hawksworth dynamometer car as full detail road testing seems to have been more a later thing at Swindon as they previously had the test plant which Churchward had installed.

Thanks for that Mike. That’s one project off the list then 😎

What else would we want one of…..

Ho hum, back to my Peter James novel from a very wet Benicarlo.

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Ho hum, back to my Peter James novel from a very wet Benicarlo.

Hmm, just as wet here Neal, as I ask Hattons for spare Genesis coach end steps and continue running in a long line of locomotives. Just finished the Hornby Prairie and about to do the Dapol next.

Stay warm and dry.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

in the depths of the workshop known as The Profanium

,  ,  ,  , lurks something to make you shiver, your heart miss a beat, wish you had stuck to stamp collecting maybe?

Well it just goes to show that this hobby is a broard church, so just continue to do what you know is good for you.

(mind you, workshops cater for many tastes .  .  . ah, so many distractions and so little time!

Edited by longchap
mango pancakes
  • Funny 7