Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Moria15 said:

Could just call them a Pile  as in Country Pile :)

OK  I'll go away now.

Graham

I think in shewing my Halls and calling them a "pile" might lead to a lot of pulling of levers in the signal box - to avoid a pile-up! Lol

• Like 2
  • Funny 6

• Accurascale staff
2 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Interesting in the Accurascale production schedule that there are two remaining Quarter 2 jobs to come off the production line and then 7 jobs ready to go into production for a Quarter 3 release. (Quarter 3 being Aug, Sep, Oct)

I don’t know how many factories Accurascale use to produce items, presumably more than 1? It’s just that 7 jobs sounds a lot to get through in the time frame, particularly given there are 3 locos including the Manor and the mark 5 dmus. 

Right now we're running 6 factories in parallel, two of whom are the largest in the world and now have dedicated assembly floors for our product. While it's taken a bit of time to get up to pace, we're confident now we can sustain a rapid lead time and flow of stock as we move into the main ranges we're building :) 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, McC said:

Right now we're running 6 factories in parallel, two of whom are the largest in the world and now have dedicated assembly floors for our product. While it's taken a bit of time to get up to pace, we're confident now we can sustain a rapid lead time and flow of stock as we move into the main ranges we're building :) 

Thanks Stephen. That seems like quite some operation to keep your range going then.

Fancy joining us on 14/8/22 at Didcot to launch a new GWR item? 😀

Regards, Neal.

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Thanks Stephen. That seems like quite some operation to keep your range going then.

Fancy joining us on 14/8/22 at Didcot to launch a new GWR item? 😀

Regards, Neal.

Or at least send Islesy along - we can find plenty to keep him occupied. 😇

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Friday: Painting kinda day....

After messing around with decoders, seemingly all week, I have decided it's time to get the Modelu models painted. Made easier by the fact its a lovely sunny day, so I have set myself up on our front terrace, merrily painting away. (29 in the shade and a bit breezy)

There are GWR/AEC drivers; (out of era - HST drivers); Shed items; shed staff; GWR head & tail lamps; loco staff and 2 passengers.

1101903074_Modelufigures2.thumb.jpg.4dcd8ec23941b26565add03e9bb6a06a.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

It's been a very productive day:

Although having taken this photo, I realised I hadn't painted the lamps.

Loco lamps will be pre-Dec 1936 Red bodied (its looks a bit bright - suggestions welcome), with tail lamps black.... or should the bodies also be red? I can't remember off the top of my head.

2027258536_Modelufigures3.jpg.3bfa18b2d9538bc3ac72a0953ab5183c.jpg

1674539484_Modelulamps.thumb.jpg.817de0bedf305bc8374d1ba460012cd4.jpg

There will inevitably be some touching up to do, but I am very happy with the way its all gone.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

It's been a very productive day:

Although having taken this photo, I realised I hadn't painted the lamps.

Loco lamps will be pre-Dec 1936 Red bodied (its looks a bit bright - suggestions welcome), with tail lamps black.... or should the bodies also be red? I can't remember off the top of my head.

2027258536_Modelufigures3.jpg.3bfa18b2d9538bc3ac72a0953ab5183c.jpg

1674539484_Modelulamps.thumb.jpg.817de0bedf305bc8374d1ba460012cd4.jpg

There will inevitably be some touching up to do, but I am very happy with the way its all gone.

Headlamps red, tail lamps red, side lamps black. I think loco crews were instructed to keep lamps clean so a strong colour is good with just a little weathering.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Pendennis Castle had these in 1971/2:

4079.jpg.41f79a25e62a8bf6538ac42b55dc5b30.jpg

Albeit some 35+ years after the changeover.

2999 Lady of Legend currently carries these:

P1220726.JPG.cf31e4c4914c66d8428d9efe9ece8680.JPG

I think they always look dull in period photos because they shew up as dark grey in monochrome.

Of course the lamp bodies could get dirty as is sometimes obvious with white ones.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Headlamps red, tail lamps red, side lamps black. I think loco crews were instructed to keep lamps clean so a strong colour is good with just a little weathering.

Thanks Phil, I will change the tail lamps to Red.

13 minutes ago, Nick Gough said:

Pendennis Castle had these in 1971/2:

4079.jpg.41f79a25e62a8bf6538ac42b55dc5b30.jpg

Albeit some 35+ years after the changeover.

2999 Lady of Legend currently carries these:

P1220726.JPG.cf31e4c4914c66d8428d9efe9ece8680.JPG

I think they always look dull in period photos because they shew up as dark grey in monochrome.

Of course the lamp bodies could get dirty as is sometimes obvious with white ones.

Nice photos Nick, thank you.

I'm hoping that both Pendennis Castle and Lady of Legend will still be at Didcot on our RMWeb tour on 14th August. Any confirmation which locos will be around Drew? aka @Castle

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Meet Bob:

Bob is our latest recruit at Henley-on-Thames and looks very smart wearing his Grey jacket of the period. Seen here in charge of the 12:30 arrival from Twyford.

1057012303_GWRAECRailcarno11.thumb.jpg.7ea03075c4dc63fc7e2b7c35097d26f1.jpg

In fact it looks as if Bob is sitting a little high in his seat - I shaved a bit of his legs off as he was leaning forward too much, but I think he might need thinner legs. 🤣

Currently Bob is using a Black-tac cushion on his back as he has a bad back 😎

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I very nearly bought myself a flying banana the other day.  Also came perilously close to buying a green Class 24, but saw the light!

Close shave with the 24, but the railcar is a joy and I seem to have acquired 7 from the various manufacturers over the years. Yes, I know I need help, but then they're a bit like Panniers, one cannot have too many!

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I probably will get one at some point, but Chuffnell R is getting a touch crowded!  That was the main reason that I didn't get the 24 actually; I'd have needed at least a few blood and custard coaches to go with it.  And then some wagons, naturally...

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Modelu figures cont'd and the newsstand....

Now that they have dried etc. I had another look at the figures and I definitely need to do some touching up on them. Overall I am very pleased with them.

Out of focus at the front right is Bob the new driver for the Railcar, with his driving mate on the left.

At the time I took the photo I was interested in the Colonel at the middle left (reading his newspaper) to see if I could add him to the platform, but he also needs a little bit of work. The fella at the back far right looks like Renee Artois (Allo Allo - Younger viewings might need to Google) but he is in fact the shed foreman.

1756364788_Modelufigures5-7-22.thumb.jpg.9d057e867511a966d42b2f00b829d0e9.jpg

The newsstand: 

When we were in the UK a few weeks ago, I picked up a copy of MRJ which has a couple of photos of Paul Karau excellent P4 model of Henley. The photos were at the head of Platforms 1 and 2, showing the area in front of the bookstall.

I still have yet to tackle the bookstall as a model specifically for Henley-on-Thames. At the moment it is a generic model from Peco, which doesn't really suit.

The reason for putting it off is that i struggle to get details of exactly how the stall would have looked in the 1930's as photos are hard to come by.

I have seen a Regatta photo from 1907 where the billboards are piled high into the ceiling and books / papers / magazines etc. are literally flowing all over the stand. Then I have seen photos from the 1950's show a very ordered display with very little in the way of newspaper billboards.

When we get back from our holiday I think I will have to tackle this area, together with the station lighting and that will finish it all off nicely.

In a search of Google this morning, I came across this interesting photo:

IMG_1668.jpeg.d47a171d66267ba69626b0c53cdffeaf.jpeg

I think I need to play around in Word / Affinity to make up some of these newspaper style billboards with suitable stories for the era.

The stall was run by Wyman's during my period and had a couple of display cases to the left as you look at it, although during Regatta time these were probably used to advertise that evenings edition.

I am sure I have seen a photo of a newspaper vendor with his box and papers piled high with that days Regatta results. He was standing outside the station, presumably with the afternoon edition of the Henley Standard newspaper.

In a few weeks time I am going to spend a few hours at Henley library trawling through their microfiche to see off I can glean anything of interest.

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I very nearly bought myself a flying banana the other day.  Also came perilously close to buying a green Class 24, but saw the light!

You can't beat a Flying Banana, I have quite a soft spot for them as well... maybe it's because my childhood spotting days (in the pram) took me to the tunnel / bridge in front of the AEC works at Southall where they were built. The tunnel ran under the GWR main line and came out at the back of the GW loco shed and then the footpath continued passing the AEC until it needed to cross the works access by footbridge.

Class 24 - oh no!

37 minutes ago, longchap said:

Close shave with the 24, but the railcar is a joy and I seem to have acquired 7 from the various manufacturers over the years. Yes, I know I need help, but then they're a bit like Panniers, one cannot have too many!

Over the years I have had GWR/AEC railcars from both Hornby and Lima, all of which have been replaced by the new Dapol and Heljan ones. In the process buying 1 too many Dapol, which was PX some time ago through Hattons.

I am down to 3 GWR/AEC Railcars now and together with a 48xx and Autocoach and a soon to arrive Steam Railmotor* I reckon I have enough self-contained trains!

34 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I probably will get one at some point, but Chuffnell R is getting a touch crowded!  That was the main reason that I didn't get the 24 actually; I'd have needed at least a few blood and custard coaches to go with it.  And then some wagons, naturally...

I quite fancy Railcars 35 & 36 or 37 & 38 with an intermediate carriage... but its a bit outside my period, being post-war - built 1941-42 ....rule 1 would apply of course

Which I have already invoked as no 22 (The Heljan railcar) was built in 1940. 😎

A few years ago I was able to go inside Railcar no 4 at the Steam museum at Swindon. That must have been very civilised to travel back in the day with it's own Buffet area.

*Is there any news SRM @Graham_Muz

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

I hear Friday is the day of the big reveal…. Sound fitted Manors from Accurascale on the Hornby magazine YouTube channel.

I have 7801 Anthony Manor on order, which doesn’t have its decorated samples on the website. This is Cookham Manor which I think is, in Preserved condition 

262078C4-6A26-4EEF-BD1D-3ADF584386E8.thumb.jpeg.4149b50f22285cdbb9721bd2bf4e9def.jpeg

Looks great

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

I've just been trying to assess some of my sound installations both directly and on video, comparing them with the Hornby Magazine video, videos of real Manors on Youtube and videos that I took of Manors at Minehead.

Most of my locos do seem to make pretty good strong sounds. Not remotely approaching the real thing of course but they are making a decent effort and that even comes through on my videos - better than the sounds on the HM video. My early videos just used the Smartphone's built-in mic but that didn't seem to reproduce what the locos sounded like to me so I bought a separate directional mic and I use that now. It's not cheating! As I say, it's just to try to make it sound on video more like I hear it in the room.

The locos that I've modified most heavily are generally the ones that sound the best - that could be about the improved sound paths but I think it's more about making the effort to fit bigger speakers.

Having said that, some locos chuff sounds are very much weaker than others and I think that's down to the individual sound projects. I have a couple of locos with very "flat" chuffs, little more than clipped bursts of white noise, and they don't feel realistic - even if they are accurate recordings.

The conclusions I've come to are that, 1. Chuff sounds with some resonance sound better to me than chuff sounds that are "flat". 2. Big speakers are probably the most important factor in getting strong sound - assuming that the sound recording in the projects are good. 3. The Hornby Magazine video probably doesn't do the Accurascale Manor justice.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• Accurascale staff

Fran will have a detailed update on the Manor in the coming week, including detailing the various tweaks made to the sound provision (the HM video featured the first EP with a single speaker and first draft project)

hope that helps!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, McC said:

Fran will have a detailed update on the Manor in the coming week, including detailing the various tweaks made to the sound provision (the HM video featured the first EP with a single speaker and first draft project)

hope that helps!

Just one speaker, only a partial installation, would explain a lot.

Thanks. Look forward to hearing more.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

I'm amazed the loco was even filmed to reveal the sound project without the full speaker set up as advertised and at the same time relieved that the final result should be so much better than the video suggests.

Waiting with anticipation .  .  .

Edited by longchap
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Harlequin said:

I've just been trying to assess some of my sound installations both directly and on video, comparing them with the Hornby Magazine video, videos of real Manors on Youtube and videos that I took of Manors at Minehead.

Most of my locos do seem to make pretty good strong sounds. Not remotely approaching the real thing of course but they are making a decent effort and that even comes through on my videos - better than the sounds on the HM video. My early videos just used the Smartphone's built-in mic but that didn't seem to reproduce what the locos sounded like to me so I bought a separate directional mic and I use that now. It's not cheating! As I say, it's just to try to make it sound on video more like I hear it in the room.

The locos that I've modified most heavily are generally the ones that sound the best - that could be about the improved sound paths but I think it's more about making the effort to fit bigger speakers.

Having said that some locos chuff sounds are very much weaker than others and I think that's down to the individual sound projects. I have a couple of locos with very "flat" chuffs, little more than clipped bursts of white noise, and they don't feel realistic - even if they are accurate recordings.

The conclusions I've come to are that, 1. Chuff sounds with some resonance sound better to me than chuff sounds that are "flat". 2. Big speakers are probably the most important factor in getting strong sound - assuming that the sound recording in the projects are good. 3. The Hornby Magazine video probably doesn't do the Accurascale Manor justice.

That’s an interesting insight Phil thank you.

Larger speakers are certainly the way to go, I’ve seen the difference already in my latest projects. But even said that, it will be interesting to do a comparison of my different sound projects - earlier sound decoders vs the ones I am fitting now.

I saw someone on the Manor thread was extolling the virtues of the Howes sound files…. Personally I think they are a bit dated, when compared to the range of sounds on a new YouChoos project as an example.

I also think the room acoustics will also have a role to play.

Interesting that you use an external microphone… onto what sort of recording / video equipment?

In the last week I have watched YouTube videos of Chadwick; Dean Park and also Everard Junction, accepting I’m not in that category, but I then started looking at CamCorders…. Which range from under £100 up to £1200 plus!

I’m on the road now, otherwise I could nip into Henley and do some comparisons. Will you be at Didcot on 14th August?

3 hours ago, McC said:

hope that helps!

Thanks Stephen, I look forward to the update.

Btw are there any livery samples for Anthony Manor yet? It was me asking the question on your webpage last week.

2 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Just one speaker, only a partial installation, would explain a lot.

Thanks. Look forward to hearing more.

Indeed it will explain it.

Plus, given I could only watch the video on my iPad, was the chuff synchronised correctly? I couldn’t quite make up my mind.

Have a good weekend both, we arrive in the UK on Tuesday so will look forward to the updates.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, longchap said:

I'm amazed the loco was even filmed to reveal the sound project without the full speaker set up as advertised and at the same time relieved that the final result should be so much better than the video suggests.

Waiting with anticipation .  .  .

I much prefer the way that Accurascale discuss all of these sort of issues with us, the customer. Much better this way than ignoring the customer like other manufacturers do.

To then be able to talk direct to the owners and key staff at the business is a huge bonus. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Have a good weekend both, we arrive in the UK on Tuesday so will look forward to the updates.

Spooky , I too arrive in the UK on Tuesday afternoon, but with a vehicle to bring back two years of railway related items.

Have a good trip Neal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

I much prefer the way that Accurascale discuss all of these sort of issues with us, the customer. Much better this way than ignoring the customer like other manufacturers do.

To then be able to talk direct to the owners and key staff at the business is a huge bonus. 

I couldn't agree more Neal and believing the final result would be better than we heard today, placed my order for the same variant as yourself.

The Manor has the signs of being a very impressive class leader.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2