Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Knight of the bath. 

Gauranteed to have dogs and small boys fleeing in a panic.

Goodness, that takes me back to my early Liverpool childhood when grandad brought in the tin bath from the yard. Quite sufficient to make one run and hide under the bed next to the po!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, longchap said:

Goodness, that takes me back to my early Liverpool childhood when grandad brought in the tin bath from the yard. Quite sufficient to make one run and hide under the bed next to the po!

Ah yes, my Grandad had a bath every week, whether he needed one or not.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Nice to see Friday Knight.

Yes indeed it’s a lovely loco.

38 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Knight of the bath. 

Gauranteed to have dogs and small boys fleeing in a panic.

Ha Ha

28 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Wonky telegraph poles aren't at all realistic..

leaning-telegraph-poles-southwest-225x300.jpg.4da4c0f3bfb97babdb5c3a86d465116e.jpg

I don’t expect they were common in the 30’s though… I’ll send Bert out to fix it!

26 minutes ago, longchap said:

That’s all a bit different to the mod cons of today…

22 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Ah yes, my Grandad had a bath every week, whether he needed one or not.

Different times indeed

21 minutes ago, longchap said:

Oh yes they are . . . look behind you! 

I do like a good panto 😉

Err, but it’s April 🤣

19 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Oh no you don't...

Still not Panto time 🤣

Only Bath time 😎

16 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Oh yes he does...

5 minutes ago, KNP said:

As to whether or not you need to look behind you...

in order to decide...

shall we....

take a.....

poll.

or

leave it!

Thanks Kevin…. On this occasion I’ll resist a poll 😎

Thank you all for the comments, clearly Friday night is popular 🛁

• Like 7

I have hung on to excess rtr stock recently. I looked to selling some on, but prices offered was less than the price of a new set of rtr spare bogies. I have kept them as spares. With a pack of 10x metal wheels now £18 a pack, the wheels alone are worth keeping for use in other projects. Even the interiors can be cut up and used elsewhere.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

In my experience, the big dealers offer two cigarettes and a balloon for your stuff, even if it's recent and in unopened boxes. 

Obviously they can't offer full retail, they need to make a profit, but if you want a decent price, it's worth the effort to sell it yourself.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

I didn't realise the telegraph pole was so wonky, sorry about that.

Oh yes you  . . .  whoops already been there!

On a serious note Neal, how do you find the robustness of your Star? I bought a Hattons' "as new" Knight Of The Grand Cross three years ago and hearing rattling from the box on unpacking it, thought that perhaps a detail had come loose during transit. There were many parts missing, not all of them loose in the box. Needless to say, it went straight back with a list and the refund issued, as this abused one was far from new. Another one came up with Hattons just a couple of weeks ago at a high price, but the photos showed several faults, so perhaps the Saint is just prone to bits falling off, hence my question.

They do look good though and fit my era so well.

Bill

Edited by longchap
  • Friendly/supportive 3

34 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Them's power cables on they poles, not telephone wires, different insulators and spacings.

I know, but it's not unusual to see leaning telegraph poles either. Just not so many pictures on Google when you're in a hurry.😕

You win today's Golden Anorak Award. 😆

Yes it does smell of chips.

This is perhaps a better example at Lyme Regis.

lyme(harden_c1950s)regis22.jpg.19e19bec9532c78c447669c60331d608.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 5
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, longchap said:

Oh yes you  . . .  whoops already been there!

On a serious note Neal, how do you find the robustness of your Star? I bought a Hattons' "as new" Knight Of The Grand Cross three years ago and hearing rattling from the box on unpacking it, thought that perhaps a detail had come loose during transit. There were many parts missing, not all of them loose in the box. Needless to say, it went straight back with a list and the refund issued, as this abused one was far from new. Another one came up with Hattons just a couple of weeks ago at a high price, but the photos showed several faults, so perhaps the Saint is just prone to bits falling off, hence my question.

They do look good though and fit my era so well.

Bill

I've found my Star to be smooth and reliable - it's 4054 now but I'm afraid I can't remember what it was originally - also my Castle, now 4079, originally 4073.

As for the pair of Granges... Originally I had three but with myriad problems I eventually pulled them all apart and made two good ones outs of the three! I 'need ' another but I'm very reluctant. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

I've found my Star to be smooth and reliable - it's 4054 now but I'm afraid I can't remember what it was originally - also my Castle, now 4079, originally 4073.

As for the pair of Granges... Originally I had three but with myriad problems I eventually pulled them all apart and made two good ones outs of the three! I 'need ' another but I'm very reluctant. 

Hi and thanks Trevor,

It’s good to know that the Star runs well. I am also interested to learn if it’s prone to parts falling off, as the two I’ve so far considered had several missing and defective parts and are now hard to find pre-loved. I know 4000, Lode Star, is still available new, but at £200 for old tooling, one will not be visiting my railway room soon.

I’ll keep an eye out, but probably not hold my breath as well.

I just popped over to Burngullow Lane and saw that there’s lovely work going on there.

Best,

Bill

Edited by longchap
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 11/04/2022 at 17:58, Star-rider said:

Your existing conversions look very nice but I’m intrigued by your roof colour – you have gone for something very dark as I did myself on my first builds. Having been taught the lesson that a dark grey was generally applied during the war period (after the 1930’s which we have as a common interest) I have set about changing mine to white. I know that with chemical aging, smoke and smut they would not have stayed that way for long so I suppose a bit of weathering is in order or perhaps I should have gone for a light grey?

It's the old 50 shades dilema. If you spend some time looking on the Britain From Above website, you'll see that whilst certainly not in the majority, white (or at least, light) roofs were a lot more common than people suggest. After being in service a while, the roofs would be weathered down to a pretty dark colour and  it appears this would be the most common condition. Beneath the soot, the lead sulphide that forms as the paint weathers is a brownish black colour.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

I have Lode Star. The first one I got had a badly made splasher (glued out of line so you could see through the running plate) and had to go back. The second one is Ok but it has/had a clunk in its motion every few revolutions. I stripped it down as far as I dared but couldn’t diagnose the problem so I elected to just run it in and see if the clunk would ride out with wear. Not sure yet.

On the plus side nothing has fallen off and she looks and sounds great with a Youchoos sound project.

I also have Knight of St Patrick and Princess Alice and as far as I can tell, all details are intact…

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, longchap said:

Hi and thanks Trevor,

It’s good to know that the Star runs well. I am also interested to learn if it’s prone to parts falling off, as the two I’ve so far considered had several missing and defective parts and are now hard to find pre-loved. I know 4000, Lode Star, is still available new, but at £200 for old tooling, one will not be visiting my railway room soon.

I’ll keep an eye out, but probably not hold my breath as well.

I just popped over to Burngullow Lane and saw that there’s lovely work going on there.

Best,

Bill

Hi Bill, glad you like Burngullow Lane. My Star was British Monarch R3229. It’s had weathering (by TMC to my spec) crew, odd detail mods and so on. As you say it’s old tooling but has been completely reliable and nothing has fallen off - famous last words! 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

I have Lode Star. The first one I got had a badly made splasher (glued out of line so you could see through the running plate) and had to go back. The second one is Ok but it has/had a clunk in its motion every few revolutions. I stripped it down as far as I dared but couldn’t diagnose the problem so I elected to just run it in and see if the clunk would ride out with wear. Not sure yet.

On the plus side nothing has fallen off and she looks and sounds great with a Youchoos sound project.

I also have Knight of St Patrick and Princess Alice and as far as I can tell, all details are intact…

Thanks Phil for your valuable feedback regarding robustness, but I’m sorry to hear that Lode Star has given you problems, but hopefully will try harder to get firmly into your good books.

I’m a patient person, so will trust that a suitable example will be secured in due course, although I have a sufficiency of GWR tender locos to fix, run in, chip, weather and detail to keep me occupied until I find my Star.

Best,

Bill

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

Hi Bill, glad you like Burngullow Lane. My Star was British Monarch R3229. It’s had weathering (by TMC to my spec) crew, odd detail mods and so on. As you say it’s old tooling but has been completely reliable and nothing has fallen off - famous last words! 

Thanks again Trevor. I know that with use and over time, bits will fall off most things in this life. Hopefully, they don’t get lost, so can be dusted off and nailed back on again.

I’ve been looking for a good one for three years, so one may be just around the corner!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening all and apologies for the delay in replying.

Sorry to hear about the issues with the Star 4-6-0…. Mine has been ok… apart from the tender screw hole disintegrating… I’ve superglued the screw in place, but fear I might have to arrange a new tender fixing.

I think it’s a lovely loco… shame that Hornby didn’t bring out a Saint loco as well.

But as someone has already said, there are so many 4-6-0 types, it will be good to get some ordinary tank locos… 0-6-0PT anyone?

Have a good evening. More of the Star 4-6-0 tomorrow.

• Like 6