Bachmann ex-SR CCT Vans

Lochinvar

• RMweb Gold

Kadees are no use at all at all for close coupling mechanisms because they do not form a rigid straight connection. This is needed to make the NEM pockets move outwards on the curves correctly and thus extend to avoid buffer lock. If you select your Kadees such that the buffers touch (or almost, but not quite, touch) then you're in trouble unless all your curves (and points) are of scale radius. Even layouts in which all visible parts have scale radii, there are often tighter curves and points in fiddle yards. This is why close coupling mechanics were invented well over thirty years ago, but are only recently hesitantly - and mostly incorrectly implemented and well misunderstood - finding use in the UK.

Another option might be to use the Bachmann pipe coupling between same vehicles like on their mk1s.

Now do I buy a blue one, or do I wait and hope they produce a weathered blue one?

Well, you know how it goes: wait, and they won't; buy now, and they will.So how about you buy a blue one now, so we can all get weathered ones later.... :-) 

• RMweb Gold

Now do I buy a blue one, or do I wait and hope they produce a weathered blue one?

You buy a blue one and weather it yourself. That way, if they do produce a weathered blue one yours is different from everyone else's. And if they don't, yours is definitely different from everyone else's.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mine wasn't glued.  There are clips on the underframe moulding that engage in recesses in the bottom of the glazing pieces.  On each side, there's a clip in the middle of the side and one at each end of the side - three clips on each side.  I was able to get it apart by inserting a thin blade between the underframe and the side, then keeping the clips disengaged by inserting strips of thin plasticard.  Watch out for brake levers, etc!

A quick review of the PMV in BR Green...

A review of the all new Ex-Southern Railways PMV (Parcels & Miscellaneous Van) in BR Green from Bachmann. As well as the PMV, Bachmann have also released versions of the PLV (Passenger Luggage Van) and CCT (Covered Carriage Truck), which feature a number of design differences. 
Bachmann have done a great job in capturing the prototypes, capturing the overall rugged looks of these vans very well. The model features a very high level of detail, including; Separate Handrails and Lamp Irons, Pre-Fitted Vac Brake, Metal Buffers, Painted Wheels and a highly detailed underside. A must for any Southern Region Modeller!

Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfeWHvsHLZM

post-20663-0-76866800-1446396458_thumb.gif

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I was about to take a weathering brush to my PMV (BR red version), when it struck me that the 'chalking boards' on the model are painted the same colour as the rest of the van's body; the same is true of the BR green version illustrated in the December 'Railway Modeller'.  I might have expected them to be a different colour, and note that the Hornby SR parcels vans that I have, have these picked out in grey.  I would have thought another suitable colour might be black?

Not having a moan, and happy to be corrected by any SR experts who know differently, and leave them as they are; on the other hand, I'd be quite happy to paint them myself - I just wondered what others thought.

The pictures of real vans that I've been able to find seem inconclusive - a lot of the colour pictures are of blue vans, and many are too dirty to be able to tell, anyway.

The pictures of real vans that I've been able to find seem inconclusive - a lot of the colour pictures are of blue vans, and many are too dirty to be able to tell, anyway.

I was about to take a weathering brush to my PMV (BR red version), when it struck me that the 'chalking boards' on the model are painted the same colour as the rest of the van's body; the same is true of the BR green version illustrated in the December 'Railway Modeller'.  I might have expected them to be a different colour, and note that the Hornby SR parcels vans that I have, have these picked out in grey.  I would have thought another suitable colour might be black?

I have endlessly referred to the photo that Bachmann used for S1101S. It has a green chalk board. http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/srpmv/e1e701a93

The review given above doesn't mention or illustrate the special effort put into getting the plates and writing on the end accurate.

Paul Bartlett

Edited by hmrspaul

• RMweb Premium

I have endlessly referred to the photo that Bachmann used for S1101S. It has a green chalk board. http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/srpmv/e1e701a93

The review given above doesn't mention or illustrate the special effort put into getting the plates and writing on the end accurate.

Paul Bartlett

Thank you Paul, I did in fact look at that picture, several times.  Perhaps I didn't explain myself very well initially; I just wondered whether practice might have varied over time and between workshops and /or liveries, as I also found pictures of preserved vans (which I know can't be relied on for 100% accuracy) with the boards painted a different colour, and in the knowledge that the Hornby vans also have them picked out in a different colour, which I would have thought would have some basis in reality.

Thank you Paul, I did in fact look at that picture, several times.  Perhaps I didn't explain myself very well initially; I just wondered whether practice might have varied over time and between workshops and /or liveries, as I also found pictures of preserved vans (which I know can't be relied on for 100% accuracy) with the boards painted a different colour, and in the knowledge that the Hornby vans also have them picked out in a different colour, which I would have thought would have some basis in reality.

Oh yes, I also would have expected the chalking board to have been in blackboard black/grey, but its not on this one.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

How about using a Kadee no.18/19 instead between the vehicles.Thats what I'm planning.

18s were too tight for my curves, Rob, which are undoubtedly better than 2' radius. I have no 19s at present, so have used 20s and these are a little too long, so an 18/20 combo is being used between the pair I bought. They are running with a Hornby Maunsell BCK and a Kernow O2.

• RMweb Gold

Without wishing to be picky, I advise purchasers of these models to check that the steps are firmly attached.

I spent a good half-hour finding one set that had gone missing from my crimson PMV last evening.

I don't know if they are glued or a friction fit (the other three feel like you would need to break them to get them off) but my escapee is definitely glued now!

John

As I mentioned too often the model of S1101S is important in my personal railway history, I just wish I had recorded the date with accuracy - I blame my youth!. It was only when I was old enought to join the HMRS that I had advice from Don Rowland on keeping card indexes, notebook etc.

So I am pleased to be able to share some photos of the model. Apologies that the macro on my camera doesn't allow the best reproduction of the plates on the end.

post-387-0-04006000-1449062707_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-40779600-1449062713_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-11848300-1449062720_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-65567900-1449062726_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-65586500-1449062733_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-88870700-1449062736_thumb.jpg

PLEASE I am not going to review or comment further on this model. Do not ask!

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 8

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Is there any more recent news about these Southern vans from Bachmann, time is creeping on..........another long Chinese year......

Stephen.

I don't think Bachmann have yet announced any further versions of the Utility vans beyond the four previous releases.

Note that the apparent CCT (in BR blue) actually represents a CCT converted to a PMV via the sealing of end doors, removal of handles etc. in the 1970s.

They have not yet done or announced a CCT as such. 

John

I am totally lost on this.......... Do Bachmann make the CCT or Southern Equivalent or not, for cash purchase now? or is the product yet again on Chinese Holiday from the range, or yet to be made?

I despair of ever buying suitable stock from UK suppliers who delay fath about or under order, have they no respect for customers? no Southern Coaches, long delays, or Hornby sitting about in Margate waiting for the next millennium....and not replenishing stocks....might explain going bust!!!

Stephen

Edited by bertiedog

They have been, and most probably gone again until the next batch is released. There may be some stock left in model shops with a less prominent Internet presence.

Edit: Hattons still have "more than 10" in stock of the BR blue version http://www.ehattons.com/52642/Bachmann_Branchline_39_528_Ex_Southern_CCT_Covered_Carriage_Truck_BR_Blue/StockDetail.aspx. Other versions have sold out and newer ones are available for pre-order but no prices listed yet.

Edited by SRman

Are well, one lost RTR sale gone......and I am no wiser really as to whether any were made in Southern livery, as you say they were modified by BR days, but handles etc., could be restored, as it would have to be repainted anyway. I think I'll order a Dundas kit version instead. I needed RTR as I lost full use of my arm, but it is recovering slowly now, so the kit will have to do.

Stephen.

Are well, one lost RTR sale gone......and I am no wiser really as to whether any were made in Southern livery, as you say they were modified by BR days, but handles etc., could be restored, as it would have to be repainted anyway. I think I'll order a Dundas kit version instead. I needed RTR as I lost full use of my arm, but it is recovering slowly now, so the kit will have to do.

Stephen.

There was one made in Southern Railway livery in the first set of releases, which came out early October 2015. The list was:

39-525  Southern Railway green as a parcels van (sealed ends)

39-526 BR Crimson parcels (sealed ends)

39-527 BR Green parcels (sealed ends)

39-528 BR Blue hinged ends CCT

According to their e-bay shop current adverts, both AC Models of Eastleigh and Peters Spares have at least one of the Southern Railway liveried versions in stock at £28-95 plus p&p

Edited by rembrow

There was one made in Southern Railway livery in the first set of releases, which came out early October 2015. The list was:

39-525  Southern Railway green as a parcels van (sealed ends)

39-526 BR Crimson parcels (sealed ends)

39-527 BR Green parcels (sealed ends)

39-528 BR Blue hinged ends CCT

According to their e-bay shop current adverts, both AC Models of Eastleigh and Peters Spares have at least one of the Southern Railway liveried versions in stock at £28-95 plus p&p

They are very strange descriptions. It is the CCT which has hinged ends but modelled as sealed so that it is, correctly, lettered as BR did, as a PMV. The other three are simply plain ended - as my photograph. Completely correct for the PMVs. They are NOT sealed ends!

Paul

But the Hattons era 6 is incorrect, this is a later conversion/paint job http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/paulbartlettsrailwaywagonphotographs/e1552e6d6

39-529 SR CCT ADB975276 in BR departmental green is era 7 http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/paulbartlettsrailwaywagonphotographs/eb075975   Note that

Note that Hattons have switched the photos of 39-529 (shown as a SR version) and 39-530 (shown as ADB975276)

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul