Bachmann ex-SR CCT Vans

Lochinvar

• RMweb Gold

The colour looks to me to be a green turquoise, but then there are so many issues with colour temperature on photos that are taken in less than ideal lighting. I think I'll wait until I see one in the flesh (!).

Regards

Hi, PenrithBeacon. I took the photo's with a floodlight helping to highlight the model. Without it, the green looks quite dark, rather like the MK1 stock. However, this model will be weathered so that it resembles one of those vans where the actual livery was all but indiscernible!

With regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

That looks very, very nice. However for a little work and swearing about my stubby fingers (sorry Stubby) and what paint and decals to use, I could get two Parkside kits and tart them up with etched handles etc.then cover them in crud as per the prototype.

Seriously tempted but the cost of these RTR things reflecting the cost of research production, is now getting a bit scary when kits are available.

Q

I know where you're coming from Phil but I happen to think they're worth the money and mine's on its way as I speak.A western vehicle to the same standard please Bachmann.

• Like 4

That looks very, very nice. However for a little work and swearing about my stubby fingers (sorry Stubby) and what paint and decals to use, I could get two Parkside kits and tart them up with etched handles etc.then cover them in crud as per the prototype.

Seriously tempted but the cost of these RTR things reflecting the cost of research production, is now getting a bit scary when kits are available.

Q

As is your choice Quackers, however, having paid almost £16 for an LNER pattern horse box kit with time, paint and transfers still to spend, to go with the superb Hornby (LMR) effort for around a score, I'm not so sure these days that kits offer the savings over RTR that some profess. See comments in B'mann new tool Thompson's.

You won't wonder that some of us would be keen to ditch our mediocre kit attempts and/or ancient RTR crocks for something with a bit of finesse?

C6T.

• RMweb Premium

On Saturday a crimson PMV and a green PMV came home with me when I popped into my local model shop. Looking at them, the do appear to be a tad better than the Hornby Doublo model or what I could do with a Parkside kit. A little bit disappointed that the CCT is not available as yet in the liveries of time period I model. I am sure they will be.

The big question is do I continue to make that Ks kit I have had in the to do pile for a long time?

Can anyone give me the running numbers on all four please? Bar the PLV, I am looking at getting the one of the two PMV and the CCT done in Southern livery at somepoint... Many thanks. Looks like all the photos I took of SR 1174 will be useful now...!! :P

6883696348_402ea9cfcf_c.jpg

• Like 3

Bachmann Ex-Southern PMV in Green (39-527) - S1101S - PMV - Even Planking

S1054S - S1153S
S1251S - S1358S
S1921S - S1970S

Bachmann Ex-Southern ‘Covcar’ (39-528) - S1733 - CCT - Uneven Planking

S1731S - S1780S

Sorry my apologies but I meant the numbers of the four models that have been released :)

Bachmann Ex-Southern PMV in Green (39-527) - S1101S - PMV - Even Planking

S1054S - S1153S
S1251S - S1358S
S1921S - S1970S

Bachmann Ex-Southern ‘Covcar’ (39-528) - S1733 - CCT - Uneven Planking

S1731S - S1780S

39-525 PLV S Ry green: 2186

39-526 PMV BR crimson: S1068S

Thanks to both of you :)

On Saturday a crimson PMV and a green PMV came home with me when I popped into my local model shop. Looking at them, the do appear to be a tad better than the Hornby Doublo model or what I could do with a Parkside kit. A little bit disappointed that the CCT is not available as yet in the liveries of time period I model. I am sure they will be.

The big question is do I continue to make that Ks kit I have had in the to do pile for a long time?

I would say, "Yes." I intend to keep running my old Hornby Dublo/Wrenn, Parkside and K's vans in mixed trains because they still add variety to the mix. My efforts cannot match the finesse and detail of the Bachmann units, but when they are in a train that is actually running, they all blend in. 

Besides, it is still more fun to build your own and to be able to point at it and say, "I did that."

• RMweb Gold

Assume you mean the Hornby Van C?

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Hornby+van+c&view=detailv2&&id=70A81C4D17AF7A33904ADBDFA73F944526BDBE38&selectedIndex=5&ccid=GQHYZ8Ah&simid=608039774984079779&thid=OIP.M1901d867c021ec711210545a2ab538f0o0&ajaxhist=0

That is a brake van with a guards compartment - the CCT/PMV are traffic vehicles only

The Hornby website is rather confusing with parcels vehicles - bogie brakes appear as coaching stock whereas 4 wheeled stock such as the LNER CCT appear as freight stock. Surely both are NPCCS - Non Passenger Carrying Coaching Stock

Kind regards

Phil.

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann appear to have modelled the CCT body in the late condition after BR had sealed up the end doors and removed redundant handles etc. so blue is the only correct livery. If they are sensible (which they usually are) Bachmann will have made their moulds with interchangeable ends so they can produce earlier versions later.

More concerning (at least to me) is that Bachmann's CCT has the same, relatively rare, combination of side and door planking represented on the HD/Wrenn/Dapol vans.

I wouldn't bother with the old K's kit. IIRC the sides had very peculiar planking with a rounded rather than flat surface. Looked like a log cabin on wheels. Just horrible.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Assume you mean the Hornby Van C?

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Hornby+van+c&view=detailv2&&id=70A81C4D17AF7A33904ADBDFA73F944526BDBE38&selectedIndex=5&ccid=GQHYZ8Ah&simid=608039774984079779&thid=OIP.M1901d867c021ec711210545a2ab538f0o0&ajaxhist=0

That is a brake van with a guards compartment - the CCT/PMV are traffic vehicles only

The Hornby website is rather confusing with parcels vehicles - bogie brakes appear as coaching stock whereas 4 wheeled stock such as the LNER CCT appear as freight stock. Surely both are NPCCS - Non Passenger Carrying Coaching Stock

Kind regards

Phil.

Thanks Phil.

• RMweb Gold

Fitted the fiddly brake rigging on my blue and green ones last night

First weathering wash too....and thanks to Bachmann for giving us blackened wheels, that's one less job to do...

Phil

• Like 2