Bachmann ex-SR CCT Vans

Lochinvar

• 3 months later...

The livery samples of these vans were on show at the Bluebell Railway model railway weekend.

Four liveries were exhibited, and despite the spot lights in Bachmann's cabinet,and lack of natural

light, all four looked excellent.

To my eye the BR red version was of the best shade i have ever seen on a model.

The BR(S) green also looked correct ie. not in that horrible dark shade that Bachmann have used

on all their loco hauled BR(S) coaches in recent years. The SR olive was harder to make out as it was behind

another model on a stationary turntable when i viewed the cabinet.

The Rail Blue ex. CCT also looked good , just like an ex.works example!.

Overall, in my opinion, these models look just right, and worth the long wait.

• Like 1

The livery samples of these vans were on show at the Bluebell Railway model railway weekend.

Four liveries were exhibited, and despite the spot lights in Bachmann's cabinet,and lack of natural

light, all four looked excellent.

To my eye the BR red version was of the best shade i have ever seen on a model.

The BR(S) green also looked correct ie. not in that horrible dark shade that Bachmann have used

on all their loco hauled BR(S) coaches in recent years. The SR olive was harder to make out as it was behind

another model on a stationary turntable when i viewed the cabinet.

The Rail Blue ex. CCT also looked good , just like an ex.works example!.

Overall, in my opinion, these models look just right, and worth the long wait.

That's very encouraging. I have avoided Hornby crimson CCTs because of the translucent paint. Translucent steel angle irons? Oh dear. A preliminary squirt of white or grey would have helped no end and done justice to the exquisite lettering.

That's very encouraging. I have avoided Hornby crimson CCTs because of the translucent paint. Translucent steel angle irons? Oh dear. A preliminary squirt of white or grey would have helped no end and done justice to the exquisite lettering.

I agree regarding the effect of the translucency of Hornby's finish, but since these vehicles were very rarely cleaned, a layer or two of weathering helps the realism and reduces the 'see-through' effect. These are their crimson/carmine SR van C and LNER CCT that I have done.

BachmannNonParcels2cropped_zpsbace10b4.j

HornbyExtraLongCCT1cropped_zpsf97d7f68.j

With apologies for taking us slightly off-topic.

Edited by SRman
  • Like 7

The translucent angle iron on Hornby's 'red vans ' is because they don't paint them ( see my image on page 2 of the

Hornby LMS horsebox thread ). Yes you have to weather them to kill this effect or repaint them. I think it was all to do

with the cheap and nasty ' design clever ' phase they went through. Thankfully they have returned making

quality models. The Bachmann PMV  is painted in what looks like a good rendition of BR red .The BR(S)

green version has green ends, which is only typical of vans repainted just before 'Rail Blue' became the norm.

I believe the Southern Region started the trend of painting the ends the same as the body colour, somewhere around 1965, or possibly even earlier. Other regions followed suit later. I slightly back-dated my Invicta Models Bachmann maroon CCT by painting the maroon ends into black, to better represent the 1957 - 66 period.

I also believe that the SR was a little inconsistent with the ends on the CCTs and PMVs, but it is sometimes difficult to tell what colour the ends were in photographs because of accumulated dirt and grime. Come to that, it is sometimes almost impossible to tell what colour the sides are on the SR vans for the same reasons!!

I believe the Southern Region started the trend of painting the ends the same as the body colour, somewhere around 1965, or possibly even earlier. Other regions followed suit later. I slightly back-dated my Invicta Models Bachmann maroon CCT by painting the maroon ends into black, to better represent the 1957 - 66 period.

I also believe that the SR was a little inconsistent with the ends on the CCTs and PMVs, but it is sometimes difficult to tell what colour the ends were in photographs because of accumulated dirt and grime. Come to that, it is sometimes almost impossible to tell what colour the sides are on the SR vans for the same reasons!!

I agree with all you have written above. Ends painted in body colour did start around 1964/5, and all regions were 

involved. I saw my first 4 COR in blue in late 1966, so the period for coaches/ passenger vans in regional

liveries with body colour ends was quite short. Of course these vehicles would have lasted longer in the

old livery because of their late paint date.

Black ends are more typical for the BR period, and as you say, a pot of black paint is all that's needed.

Is the Bachmann model then strictly a BR period CCT vehicle rather than a Southern Van U vehicle? I have Parkside kits and other models going back to K's kits for various Southern vans so these may be incorrect for my pre January 1948 model world.

It's beginning to sound like I can cancel my pre-order as this appears to be strictly a BR period vehicle. If I were to obtain one I would have to remodel the ends and repaint into real Southern green. Oh well I still have Parkside kits in the unbuilt (not unrebuilt) bin.... :sadclear:

• RMweb Gold

Just remember that the Bachmann SR and BRs livery vans are PLV/PMVs and not Van U / CCTs The blue version being produced is an ex CCT converted to a PMV by the welding up of the end doors.

• RMweb Gold

It's beginning to sound like I can cancel my pre-order as this appears to be strictly a BR period vehicle. If I were to obtain one I would have to remodel the ends and repaint into real Southern green. Oh well I still have Parkside kits in the unbuilt (not unrebuilt) bin.... :sadclear:

AFAIK, the SR green, BR green and BR crimson vans will represent PMVs (Parcels Miscellaneous vans) which had fixed ends and were essentially similar to vehicles dating back to the original SECR "Edith Cavell" van preserved at the Kent & East Sussex Railway. The SR classification was PLV (Parcels Luggage van).

Only the Rail Blue one seems to have end doors and I understand that they will be modelled as sealed up with the van consequently reclassified from CCT to PMV. That makes it not only pure BR but post-steam BR in line with the livery. Backdating would presumably involve adding items such as door catches and handles removed when BR altered these vans.

If you want a CCT in SR condition, your Parkside kits provide the obvious answer - anyone willing to contemplate repainting an r-t-r model won't have any trouble building them.

The SR CCT (usually referred to as a "Covcar" in SR days) has been produced r-t-r by Hornby Dublo, Wrenn and Dapol in the past and good ones aren't hard to find S/H. 

Dapol did away with the opening doors when they took over the tooling which improves the appearance IMHO. Their versions can be relied upon to have a full complement of doors and are obtainable for non-collector prices; I got a mint/boxed BR green one for just a tenner not long ago.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

I can't tell what the base colour of the van is! I'll take Pauls opinion as read as it doesn't appear to be carmine.

I took the end photo when it was moved alongside the platform from which I had earlier taken the side view http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/srpmv/e1e701a93 which I referred to earlier in this discussion.

I now think this was possibly taken on the same occasion as http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lneropenwood/ef2245adso the date was more likely to have been August 1966 as both are on Agfa film.

Paul

Not a happy bunny, trying rather hard to assist this hobby to be more accurate.

Edited as it was too strong, but the word "opinion" really annoyed me! If only we had a disagree button! So much cleaner and simpler

Edited by hmrspaul

• 2 weeks later...

I took the end photo when it was moved alongside the platform from which I had earlier taken the side view http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/srpmv/e1e701a93 which I referred to earlier in this discussion.

I now think this was possibly taken on the same occasion as http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lneropenwood/ef2245adso the date was more likely to have been August 1966 as both are on Agfa film.

Paul

Not a happy bunny, trying rather hard to assist this hobby to be more accurate.

Edited as it was too strong, but the word "opinion" really annoyed me! If only we had a disagree button! So much cleaner and simpler

10 days later and still no apology! It is a pity I edited this, The anonynmous Penrith Beacon doesn't appear to have seen my original post, insulting my 15 year self .    What was he doing, where was he recording railway for our use?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Note in MRE Mag today that these have left the Kader factory:

39-525 Southern PLV (passenger luggage van) in SR olive green No.2186 (new tooling), era 3, rrp £28.95.

39-526 Ex-SR PMV (parcels and miscellaneous van) in BR crimson No.S1068S (new tooling), era 5, rrp £28.95.

39-528 Ex-SR CCT in BR blue No.S1733 (new tooling), eras 6 & 7, rrp £28.95.

A bit pricey. I have the 39-525 on order so it may arrive on these distant shores in October.

That's certainly costly. Was expecting this standard range release to undercut the limited edition BR CCTs. It's not like they wouldn't make the numbers bashing out double the quantities for 15% cheaper. Still... Time to watch the shelves and inbox.

PenrithBeacon is correct in that 'it certainly does not appear to be carmine' since Carmine was not ever a BR livery colour. It would certainly have been repainted Crimson before the change to Maroon from 1956, save for the period following than when certain Regional stock could be painted in colours approximating to former Grouping period liveries.

• RMweb Gold

PenrithBeacon is correct in that 'it certainly does not appear to be carmine' since Carmine was not ever a BR livery colour. It would certainly have been repainted Crimson before the change to Maroon from 1956, save for the period following than when certain Regional stock could be painted in colours approximating to former Grouping period liveries.

Crimson, then green, then blue. The Southern Region never adopted BR Maroon.

39-527 (catalogued, but omitted from the list in Post #41) will be a PMV in BR green.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

From recent information it would seem that the BR(S) green version of the PMV is not among

the initial releases. Is this a marketing ploy?. This version is likely to be the biggest seller so

by not including it the hope might be that the more impatient among us rush out and buy

one of the other liveries, then also buy the BR green version when it appears. This way sales

are doubled. I am not saying that the other liveries won't be popular, but i would predict

that the green one would sell the best.

Only a thought.........

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Trevor

I think you will find that item number 39-52 is an Ex-Southern PMV Parcels & Miscellaneous Van BR Green is one of the first four releases along with PLV in SR Green, PMV in BR Crimson and the ex CCT in BR blue.

That's certainly costly. Was expecting this standard range release to undercut the limited edition BR CCTs. It's not like they wouldn't make the numbers bashing out double the quantities for 15% cheaper. Still... Time to watch the shelves and inbox.

Or even carry on building Mr Parksides' fine kits - get two for the price of one Bachmann :yes:

Or even carry on building Mr Parksides' fine kits - get two for the price of one Bachmann :yes:

I do draw much satisfaction from this pastime. However, the only truly consistent route for me to guarantee fault-free riding characteristics is to standardise as far as possible on repeatable running gear. For my sins I am unable to guarantee vehicle weights, riding, coupling and marshalling behaviours when I turn to kit builds for large multiples.

• RMweb Gold

I think these were around the £15 rrp mark when I pre-ordered one 30 months or so ago.It will be a welcome addition to my rapidly growing collection of SR stock and still worth the price now asked.

39-528 Ex-SR CCT in BR blue No.S1733 (new tooling), eras 6 & 7, rrp £28.95.

A bit pricey.

Now were that clever Mr. Newitt to be working on a suitable chassis kit, I think I'd junk my Bachmann pre-orders, and be more than pleased with multiple Rumney/Parkside substitutes!

The Nim.