Muddy's dithering "journey" into O Gauge - help please GWR vs Southern decision

muddys-blues

I have decided to stick with the Western these funds will go towards a 22, which I am growing more and more addicted to

Craig

First it's class B tankers, then spoked wheels, before you know it he'll be into Kettles and the first 57xx will rear its head!!!!

Jinty ;)

Evening Brian,I tell you what I have struggled in letting this beauty go, it is a stunning model but because I have decided to stick with the Western these funds will go towards a 22, which I am growing more and more addicted to

Craig

Come on Craig -has your modellers licence expired. You don't need an excuse to have a 40! As you know I model a GER branch line and for some reason that I can't explain these Western Hydraulics keep turning up on inter-regional trains!

Paul R

Evening people ...... okay, right I will admit it before the rest of you sneer and say "told you so, you can't just stick to one thing can you Craig" .... I did a little deal this week for some items that were advertised on a well know auction site that fleeces you for selling fees, this little deal involved buying these items that got withdrawn because they where "broken, or the description was wrong, or there was an error in the listing on the well know auction site" wink wink, nod nod and all that ..... come on a few of us have done it  :angel:

Anyway before we all get too precious about helping out or depriving the well known Auction site for it's fees .... here is what I bought, 3 x JLTRT 12ton BR vans, these are the first wagon kits I have bought that are from the JLTRT stable, and after some communication with my trusted Friend Jintyman, he gave me a little the heads up on the buffer centre spacing dimension problem that is sort of well known on some of the JLTRT kits, so I checked out these wagon kits today, and he was spot on about his what he said, and I recalled Jints having problems with his Fruit D kit on his excellent Talyllyn thread, but this was part way through his build when the cock up  error appeared, so thanks to people like Jintyman and others for posting their frustrations and findings on here to help us out to avoid those belated pit falls, here are some boring pics to aid my waffling on .....

one of the three kits I purchased

attachicon.gifphoto (16).JPG

Pictures showing the buffer centre discrepancies, the Slaters van on the left shows a centre to centre measurement of 39.6mm. the JLTRT model on the right measures 35.6mm, so a difference 4mm " or 2mm per buffer from the centre line of the chassis" that has to be corrected.

attachicon.gifphoto 1 (1).JPGattachicon.gifphoto 2.JPG

So I thought I would show these differences up on here to aid other modellers in checking out for these dimensions before getting too far into these kit builds before coming across this error.

Happy modelling hope this helps

Craig.

A Vernier Caliper - (and a digital one at that) we are getting technical.....

(especially for a Bury lad)

Ian

If it's digital, it can't be a very-near :)

When I think back, I probably haven't used a vernier since I stopped using a slide rule!

The digital revolution works for me!!!

Best

Simon

Class - of course - showing my age :D when I started at an Engineering firm way back the chargehand asked if I could work with Mike and Vern.

I said no problem  - I would work with anyone.

Ian

• 3 months later...

Thanks Andy but my progress is shameful compared to others, but since the go ahead to house my "obsession" layout was given by the CME of the district "SWMBO" no progress was made because we where busy with the summer trade and having some major works done on our house.

So this room is next inline for de cluttering & re-decorating, our Son has some of his stuff in this room, but he starts his training in HM Forces at the end of this month so we shall be relocating his lot into his bedroom, and in all fairness I really want to get the room spruced up and sorted so this is out of the way before I start putting up the boards up, so all in all, the layout will start in earnest which I am exited about, but in the same breadth we are starting our next life stage with the eldest possibly leaving home for good on the next chapter of his life.

Best regards

Craig

• Like 1

Thanks Andy but my progress is shameful compared to others, but since the go ahead to house my "obsession" layout was given by the CME of the district "SWMBO" no progress was made because we where busy with the summer trade and having some major works done on our house.

So this room is next inline for de cluttering & re-decorating, our Son has some of his stuff in this room, but he starts his training in HM Forces at the end of this month so we shall be relocating his lot into his bedroom, and in all fairness I really want to get the room spruced up and sorted so this is out of the way before I start putting up the boards up, so all in all, the layout will start in earnest which I am exited about, but in the same breadth we are starting our next life stage with the eldest possibly leaving home for good on the next chapter of his life.

Best regards

Craig

I know how you feel. Time just slips away!

Paul R

Best regards

Craig

Yes but look at it like this, once the train room/orrifice is decorated, the time you spent decorating and other home improvements this last year, will be available time for layout construction/stock building next year!!! You should of amassed enough Green Shield Stamps for some serious modelling time!

Jinty ;)

Yes but look at it like this, once the train room/orrifice is decorated, the time you spent decorating and other home improvements this last year, will be available time for layout construction/stock building next year!!! You should of amassed enough Green Shield Stamps for some serious modelling time!

Jinty ;)

And on Tuesdays and Thursdays it was Double Stamps.

And what about Pink Stamps.

Paul R

And on Tuesdays and Thursdays it was Double Stamps.

And what about Pink Stamps.

Paul R

We bused to have a Green Shield shop in Rhyl years ago, it's now a bathroom showroom for one of our local builders merchants!!!

What the hell were 'Pink' Stamps????

Jinty ;)

• Like 2

Like Green Shield stamps but pink! They were issued in Fine Fare supermarkets and perhaps some other outlets. S&H Pink stamps were the UK version of the American S&H Green Stamps but Green Shield beat them to the colour in the UK!

• Like 1

Like Green Shield stamps but pink! They were issued in Fine Fare supermarkets and perhaps some other outlets. S&H Pink stamps were the UK version of the American S&H Green Stamps but Green Shield beat them to the colour in the UK!

IIRC, some filling stations did too?

We bused to have a Green Shield shop in Rhyl years ago, it's now a bathroom showroom for one of our local builders merchants!!!

Jinty ;)

I couldn't find a green shield stamp bus that you "bused" into Rhyl but I found this instead ......  :angel: ...... but at least something is being talked about on this thread .... as there is nowt going on modelling wise.

post-8721-0-36251700-1479335883.jpg

Edited by muddys-blues

I couldn't find a green shield stamp bus that you "bused" into Rhyl on but I found this instead ......  :angel: ...... but at least something is being talked about on this thread .... as there is nowt going on modelling wise.

attachicon.gifgreen shield stamps wagon.jpg

Ok slip of the finger on the keyboard, nice Ford D series!!!!!

(Where the tractor units still classed as D' series?)

I reckon, even today, I could still collect a book of Green Shield before you got anything done on here!!!!  :jester:

He'll have a gun next time he visits, and I'd better not go down the Llyn otherwise I'll have the Pwllhelli Mafia after me  :triniti:  :O

Jinty ;)

Ohhh, please tell me that lorry is an O scale one .........!! :nyam:

Brian.

Dinky did a 1:43 model of this Ford unit back in the 60's or early 70's. I had a green one with a low loader trailer and bulldozer unit. I recall it was a treasured Christmas present. They also did a red cab with flat bed trailer that a friend of mine had. I recall they were reasonable models. Anyone remember them

Paul R