Muddy's dithering "journey" into O Gauge - help please GWR vs Southern decision

muddys-blues

Good morning Jinty, that was the plan ....... you must have female hormones in your body, as you can read my mind, just like Mrs B can do as well.

PS have you booked off next years Telford dates from work ? I will bring a flask.

Best regards

Craig

• Like 1

Craig

That's interesting I wonder what mine is. I have had mine since May 14 straight from Shawn so I hope it is a new version!

Never actually spoken to Shawn but his e-mails have always been responded to quickly and helpfully

Paul R

Hi Paul, Shawn is a great supplier to deal with. He has helped me out so much in my request for kits, he has even cut me a 3 car x Swindon class 119 set at my request, and that isn't in his range of kits, he was a bit worried about the body profile being slightly in accurate as the Swindon built units 119's & 120's where more slab sided than the standard Mk1 profile, but in truth it's not that much difference and most people wouldn't know anyhow.

If you bought your 129 in 2014 from Shawn yours will have the updated motor assembly, when I told Shawn what I had he said "Blimey that's an old one then" my motor bogie has the dis-advantage of not being able to be strip out the axles should the need arise, I can still replace the motor and Delrin chain easy enough, I will just have lightly oil the the pin-points on the axles regularly, but then again Hydra won't be clocking up thousands of miles like a passenger unit "when my layout eventually gets l built"

Best regards

Craig

Edited by muddys-blues

Hi Paul, Shawn is a great supplier to deal with. He has helped me out so much in my request for kits, he has even cut me a 3 car x Swindon class 119 set at my request, and that isn't in his range of kits, he was a bit worried about the body profile being slightly in accurate as the Swindon built units 119's & 120's where more slab sided than the standard Mk1 profile, but in truth it's not that much difference and most people wouldn't know anyhow.

If you bought your 129 in 2014 from Shawn yours will have the updated motor assembly, when I told Shawn what I had he said "Blimey that's an old one then" my motor bogie has the dis-advantage of not being able to be strip out the axles should the need arise, I can still replace the motor and Delrin chain easy enough, I will just have lightly oil the the pin-points on the axles regularly, but then again Hydra won't be clocking up thousands of miles like a passenger unit "when my layout eventually gets l built"

Best regards

Craig

Hi Craig,

Thats superb service from EZBuild!

Shawn has always helped me out with spares and bits and bobs too, I have several of his kits - and I am still plugging away with, dogmatically, my modified MK1 Limas, EZ Build are one many superb, cottage industry, suppliers that keep us and the market for 7mm products going.

ATB

CME

Hi Craig

I can agree Shawn is a great man to talk too i put some small bit's for my 108 in a safe place they are still there I moved everything still cannot find them rang Shawn Wednesday night arrived Friday morning free of charge great service.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Paul, sorry Mate not much to report on my modelling front, I have been busy with my business year end accounts etc, and spending too much time on here just dawdling & gawping at everybody else's threads, but on reading them a few of us seem to be hitting the wall !!!

I am seriously thinking about reducing my time on here "this forum" just to boot my backside in to gear to get on with some modelling !!! Whilst being on here and seeing a lot ofine work by many accomplished modellers it is also a distraction for someone of my attention span which is less than a goldfish   :O

I have started to fold my brass etches of a Gloucester Class 100 I bought off Worsley Works a few months back, I will upload some pictures of the brasswork, it looks damn fine.

Happy modelling

Craig.

I have started to fold my brass etches of a Gloucester Class 100 I bought off Worsley Works a few months back, I will upload some pictures of the brasswork, it looks damn fine.

Hi Craig, looking forward to some images of the class 100. I have thought about buying a few of their kits for the diesel rail cars. I am curious about the quality of the etches. Post some photos please.

Father D.

• Like 1

Okay for the interest of PWR, Father Dougal and other bog cart lovers, here is a picture of my "Worsley Works" Class 100 DMU 2x car set, also on the etch is a pair of Class 120 front cab ends and inner ends, and some steps, these were kindly done for me by Allen at Worsley works as there was room on the sheet so these where done to fill up the sheet for another future project.

The sheets themselves are 0.3mm thick and will make up into a nice robust body side, the etchings are cleanly cut, door shut lines and door handle holes etc are pre drilled as part of the service, definitely highly recommended.

Happy modelling

Craig.

post-8721-0-52487200-1447247721_thumb.jpg

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 8

• 2 months later...

Nant y Cwm ........ The branch line section.

Wow ..... over two months of me do sweet nothing on this thread, apart from Family & Business life, so I don't feel to guilty about that .... okay I have now roughly decided on plan for my little "Welsh Branch Line" section of the layout, below is a pretty rough plan "and I mean pretty rough", also pictured are the Skytrex items I purchased  to make up the single platform, I have taken my inspiration for the station off a few pictures of certain GWR stations of way back yonder that had Pagoda shelters, and a picture of Radipole station was the one that finally swung it for me.

I am going with a brick faced platform though, as this may look a bit more believable as a small halt style station that has clung on in to late 70's early 80' station, as well as a roughly modelled mid 1960's station, for my Heljan Railbus which I recently purchased .... yes yes I know I am weak, and I normally model blue, but they are such a great little model I plunged in and got a Dark Green SYWP model, ooh and I have reserved a Dark Green with Speed whiskers version  :scared:  .... gawd what am I doing ??? I will be running a kettle next  :no: & before anyone says it, I know the AC Railbuses weren't in Wales .... but rule 1 applies as this layout is more about fun than being protypical.

Anyway please feel free to peruse the plan and rip it to shreds .... I have a hide like a rhino so I will happily take any pointers or criticism on board.

This section of the layout will be made up of 4 x boards, 3 x 1600mm boards "5 & 1/4' long" and 1 x 1000mm board "just over 3 & 1/4'", the boards are 400mm wide "16 inches'ish in old money", the station area is on 1 board, this then runs over a bridge on "valley of the stream" hence the Welsh name meaning, then on to the other 2 x boards which gives me a running length of 10.5' this will have a passing / storgae loop before disappearing in to a tunnel in the hill side, this bit of the project will allow me to get something up and running whilst getting some productive modelling done.

post-8721-0-42604800-1453645574_thumb.jpg

post-8721-0-14638400-1453645664_thumb.jpg

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 4

Nant y Cwm ........ The branch line section.

for my Heljan Railbus which I recently purchased .... yes yes I know I am weak, and I normally model blue, but they are such a great little model I plunged in and got a Dark Green SYWP model, ooh and I have reserved a Dark Green with Speed whiskers version  :scared:  .... gawd what am I doing ??? I will be running a kettle next  :no: 

Anyway please feel free to peruse the plan and rip it to shreds ....

Well, not one, but TWO Heljan Railbusses??????? You're slipping my man. Send the whiskered one over here and I'll slap some blue on it for you!!!

I'm liking the plan, if I was going to suggest anything, it would be to put just a touch of curvature in it somewhere to break up the rigid straight line. But that's just my opinion, I like curves!!!!

You're moving on with more than I am at the moment, so more power to your elbow.

Jinty ;)