Hornby announce LNER J50

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

"Now in", but the coffers are bare.

Ho B****y HO!   I was going to buy one to send my old Lima J50 to the cutters yard (metaphorically speaking) but now its not likely to happen until well into the New Year, if that.  Then there's the B12/3 to consider too.....

Oh well 8920, looks like you've got a reprieve!

I'd be grateful if anyone could let me know if these do get shipped to a customer direct or on sale in a retail outlet by Christmas Day as this will determine whether it gets included in the British Model Railway Awards for this year or whether it goes in next year's. I wouldn't base its inclusion on saying it's in stock on a website, after all shouldn't voters be voting based on a product they own or have had direct contact with?

• Like 1

I have been notified that the latest batch of J15s in stock at retailers (yes retailers) but no J50 yet.

Anyway, there are an awful lot models going into this years steam category (E4, D16, K1, O2, Oxfords Adams, S15, 700, C1, King, Crosti 9F to name but a few). I do not think the J50 would have much of a chance.

What a happy chance that the big O2 didn't arrive. Just think of the joy as the little O2 votes fell into the big O2 basket. (Hippo and Duckling.)

I'd be grateful if anyone could let me know if these do get shipped to a customer direct or on sale in a retail outlet by Christmas Day as this will determine whether it gets included in the British Model Railway Awards for this year or whether it goes in next year's. I wouldn't based its inclusion on saying it's in stock on a website, after all shouldn't voters be voting based on a product they own or have had direct contact with?

You would do best to revise the rule for the future to 'generally available on sale' by the cut off date; i.e as far as can be reasonably determined all retail stockists with placed orders have been supplied, and able to fulfill at least some of their customer orders. 

I can confirm that they are in the shops. Just picked mine up from Monk Bar models in York (very satisfied customer) test run on premises and looked smooth as a proverbial smooth thing!

It will appear on Whitborough for a photo shoot at some point in the near future, but for now there's festive things to eat!

Hope this helps Andy!

Cheers and festive Christmassy greetings!

J

It would need major surgery to fit other 0-6-0 bodies like the J52...

Quick comment: the 57XX is the one required for this in any case, has the same 7'3"+8'3" wheelbase.

The J50 is potentially very useful for the later Doncaster 0-6-0s, such as the J6, and existing models with lacklustre mechs like the N2. This will require rewheeling of course in addition to whatever surgery is necessary. Have saws and hammer...

I picked one up from Frizinghall at lunch time.  Ran it on dad's DC layout prior to taking the body off to chip it.  

Having taken the weight out of one side tank a chip will slide in (both Lenz Silver and Bachmann Standard fit) between the splasher and the outer side of the tank.

Detail pack has small tension lock couplings along with the NEM pockets and brake rigging.

A word of caution the slightest knock on the front buffers pops them off.  Managed to catch one taking it out of the box and the other on something else.  Easy to glue back on.

I'd be grateful if anyone could let me know if these do get shipped to a customer direct or on sale in a retail outlet by Christmas Day as this will determine whether it gets included in the British Model Railway Awards for this year or whether it goes in next year's. I wouldn't base its inclusion on saying it's in stock on a website, after all shouldn't voters be voting based on a product they own or have had direct contact with?

Got mine from John Dutfields in Chelmsford today, nice Late crest example :) Edited by Dave Weaven

Arrived about 2.15 this afternoon at 53A Models in Hull.......in addition to Confused.Com's comments, its got 2mm driving axles.....hope Colin of Alan Gibson is reading!!

Merry Christmas Pete! Picking mine up straight after Christmas. I'll be on the phone to Colin very shortly afterwards...

• RMweb Gold

Got mine today. Cracking little model.

Merry Christmas Pete! Picking mine up straight after Christmas. I'll be on the phone to Colin very shortly afterwards...

Ours arrived just as we were closing up at 14:00 today.

These posts mean nothing without pictures   ;)

- Happy festivities :)

Edited by Russ (mines a pint)
  • Like 1