Hornby announce Maunsell S15

Andy Y

Thanks guys, I am not ready to give up just yet, I'll look at the bottom plate.

That solder joint, where was it?

And what are the issues with opening the body, loco and tender?

Thanks

There are lots on the loco side, 4 on the end of each wire to the devils plug, from each side of pickups and even on the motor.

The glue really makes testing each joint so easy - NOT! And the glue is not easy to remove easily either.

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like an issue with either the motor or the capacitor. Never known the wire harness to cause current fluctuation.

Having had a S15 fail due to a blown capacitor/resistor (on the 8 pin plug in the tender) - they just stop dead completely. I have had over a 100 of the Satan's Plug connector's in various loco's (both Hornby and Bachmann) and if they aren't properly home they can exhibit some odd behavior - including what has been described.

I've also had a harness fry due to be incorrectly wired... 

Hi guys, done a full step by step diagnosis of the fault and have made a video of each step in case it may help others in the future.

Turned out to be the motor.

I have written to Hornby asking for a new motor as its a super easy thing to replace.

I'll share the video here once its up.

Thanks again for the help

As others have said return the loco. It might just be the motor but having traced through a number of problems on a Q6 which included a failed pickup plunger, (new wire soldering the 2 items together) the motor getting overly hot and melting the side of the boiler. This all started by running fine for an hour then demonstrating slowing to a stop...dead. Then I eventually got it to run but I now don't trust it!

• 2 weeks later...

Many of you will recall my brand new Hornby S15 had a duff motor and I had to send it back to Hornby for a new one to be fitted.

Well here she is in all her glory doing what an S15 was designed to do.

With a few friends :)

Hope you enjoy.

Looking good! Mine featured in the latest model railway video I uploaded to

Twitter https://twitter.com/GreenGiraffe22/status/911985249541861376

Last time I tried to embed a video from Twitter straight into a post, this website really didn't like the html aha

Edited by GreenGiraffe22
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was running a series of different trains from different eras for a video I am compiling. One of the last trains was formed of container wagons and was very heavy. It was hauled for the video by a Bachmann class 66, but I also had a Hornby class 60 haul it with great ease afterwards.

There was a little discussion about the haulage power of Hornby's S15 some way back, and I said I was very impressed with it, having hauled over 30 4-wheeled wagons on DougN's difficult figure-8 layout, and I got to thinking, "How well would the S15 cope with this heavy train with no gradients to get in the way?", so here is the result, in the form of a very short video. These container wagons are very heavy in combination, although they are all fairly free-running.

I had to remove three wagons (two bogie wagons and a bogie twin, so technically four wagons), and the S15 coped with that load with a little bit of a struggle round the back of the layout (it isn't perfectly level). For the video I added a single  bogie wagon back on the end, but it is a little bit of a cheat as it slipped to stand at the back of the layout, in the tunnels; a slight nudge got it going again.

Anyway, I'll leave it to everyone to judge for themselves just how deceptively powerful these locomotives from Hornby are. Incidentally, the sound is from YouChoos.

• Like 3

Oh for the days spent watching trains at the 'throat' of Willesden shed yard, and watching S15's hauling long heavy freights, over the bridge that crossed the WCML, on their way to Brent yard without a hint of struggle. :sungum:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Indeed they seem to being virtually given away at the moment with most liveries to be found for a shade under £80 for which you get a lot of loco.  Tempted to get a second.

• Like 1

John M Upton, on 17 Oct 2017 - 10:15, said:

Indeed they seem to being virtually given away at the moment with most liveries to be found for a shade under £80 for which you get a lot of loco.  Tempted to get a second.

It was because of these bargains that I bought a second one.

My first one was bought at full price, in case they sold out!

The first one was subsequently fitted with YouChoos sound and I am very happy with the result. :)

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The S15 is a superb model, it's right up there with the best from Hornby and is without doubt an incredible buy.

I have five variants, all of which run beautifully.

Blushes, I'm into double figures already with the S15.. 30825, 30828, 30830, 30837 (Schools Tender), 30839, 30840-43 & 30845

Please the big red H can we have the stepped running plate version or do I need to ask the BoU & MiM to intercede on mine & others behalves?  :jester:  :jester:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

You know how things come back to bite you? Well...I had run my S15 and it ran beautifully, so I weathered it added crew and generally made it more like the real loco would appear. Was going to order a sound chip for it but the need to buy a new dishwasher took precedent. So took loco and some wagons to our club to run it and take some photos...then disaster struck.

Front bogie wheels dropped out when I went to put it on the track, small keeper plate had fallen off; no big problem soon fixed.

Off we go then, loco and train went about twenty feet and started juddering, nothing obvious to see and off we set again, loco jumped and fell off the track,....quick look... Mangled valve gear one side, not repairable, sent to works ( Hornby), thoroughly pee'd off.

You know how things come back to bite you? Well...I had run my S15 and it ran beautifully, so I weathered it added crew and generally made it more like the real loco would appear. Was going to order a sound chip for it but the need to buy a new dishwasher took precedent. So took loco and some wagons to our club to run it and take some photos...then disaster struck.

Front bogie wheels dropped out when I went to put it on the track, small keeper plate had fallen off; no big problem soon fixed.

Off we go then, loco and train went about twenty feet and started juddering, nothing obvious to see and off we set again, loco jumped and fell off the track,....quick look... Mangled valve gear one side, not repairable, sent to works ( Hornby), thoroughly pee'd off.