Hornby announce Maunsell S15

Andy Y

My late crest 30830 has arrived; the parcel from Rails was waiting for me at home, after work.

I ran it in on DC on the rolling road. With only six rollers, I put one under each driving wheel, one under the bogie trailing axle (to prevent it floating into the valve gear), and one under each bogie trailing axle on the tender.

I then removed the tender body (only three screws needed to be removed, as the one under the leading bogie is accessible without removing the bogie) and fitted a Lenz Standard decoder. Address is set as 830, and CV3 to 25, CV4 to 20. CV2 was set to 0 (default is 1 on the Lenz, but that kicked the motor instantly into life on speed step 1 out of 128!).

It ran very nicely on a quick test on the layout but it has not properly entered 'revenue' service yet.

I fitted the brake rodding to loco and tender and also fitted the cylinder draincock pipework, although that will need cutting and adjusting to allow for my curves. They will be cut short to roughly where the trailing edges of the steps will be, and also cranked outwards slightly to allow more bogie swing. I test fitted the steps to see how much angle I could get but I have not, as yet, worked out whether they can be fitted and still allow sufficient bogie swing for the tighter curves. A little more experimentation is needed before fixing them permanently in place. 

• RMweb Premium

Picking mine up from East Somerset Models on the way into work later. A bit of a detour, but I have a late start tomorrow and want to have a play.

• Like 1

My SR version arrived today. I am most impressed with the level of detail, especially the inclusion of the crosshead vacuum pump mounted on the LH side; something that wasn't present on Hornby's N15/King Arthurs.

Looking at the photo of 30830 in this thread, is it me or does the cabside number appears to be sloping?

Glenn

My SR version arrived today. I am most impressed with the level of detail, especially the inclusion of the crosshead vacuum pump mounted on the LH side; something that wasn't present on Hornby's N15/King Arthurs.

Looking at the photo of 30830 in this thread, is it me or does the cabside number appears to be sloping?

Glenn

Just got my 30830 in the post and the cabside number is DEFINITELY sloping! It's a backyard off. Good thing I'm reviewing 30843..... but I haven't quite finished writing it yet!  Oh, well a little renumbering job will be needed (CJL)

Putting my money where my mouth is, so to speak, here is my attempt at fitting the front steps and draincock pipes. The pipes are cut short and cranked outwards, and the steps are also angled outwards. On an initial test, it just got around my tightest curves (approximately radius 3) without derailing the leading bogie.

S15%20Steps%20and%20Draincocks%20Fitted%

S15%20Steps%20and%20Draincocks%20Fitted%

The cabside number does appear to slope slightly but I have seen such things before on the prototypes (but not very often!).

• Like 2

On Wikipedia there is a photo of 30830 on the scrap line and the number looks to be sloping. So before we all castigate Hornby for this 'error', maybe we need to do a little research. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:SR_Maunsell_Class_S15_30830_(8430059925).jpg

That's the right-hand side and it looks straight to me. Anyway, the right-hand side of the Hornby cab is straight, it's the left-hand side number that slopes. (CJL)

...the cabside number is DEFINITELY sloping! It's a backyard off...

Got to ask. Is 'backyard off' simply an idiom I have never previously encountered, or the result of a predictive text style 'spelling correction'?

I was amused earlier this week by an urban development presentation that included 'flanneling' which was obviously not intended, but either of flattering or flattening might have fitted the context. Pretty sure that the 'buddleia zone' was intended to be a 'buffer zone' as there was no obvious place in the paving for plantings. Without the author present, it was difficult to divine.Seeing more and more of this leaking into print.

Got to ask. Is 'backyard off' simply an idiom I have never previously encountered, or the result of a predictive text style 'spelling correction'?

I was amused earlier this week by an urban development presentation that included 'flanneling' which was obviously not intended, but either of flattering or flattening might have fitted the context. Pretty sure that the 'buddleia zone' was intended to be a 'buffer zone' as there was no obvious place in the paving for plantings. Without the author present, it was difficult to divine.Seeing more and more of this leaking into print.

Sorry - think it's an Americanism. It's something a friend of mine used to say. (CJL)

• RMweb Gold

The Buddleia Zone is there to prevent trespassing on the railway. Prettier, cheaper and more effective than palisade fencing if there's enough of it. :jester:  

John

Bravo Hornby, arrived today, lovely colour, slightly darker than photo suggests.

Untouched but for background, straight out of the box. I am very pleased. Felt so good I went straight out and bought a Caerphilly Castle. :)

Particularly pleased by the finish on the rods motion and wheels, rather darkish in some kinds of lighting.

Superb model.

post-7929-0-19707700-1446440625_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Ran in my S15 last night. It really is a superb mover. Runs really slowly even on Analogue with far from perfectly clean track.

Photos are interesting in that the green of loco looks very different in 2 photos even though taken of the same loco on the same layout with the same iPhone within minutes of each other! Perhaps we should not be too prissy when discussing tones of locos half a century or more ago!post-4181-0-43810200-1446636468_thumb.jpegpost-4181-0-39837600-1446636515_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Looks a proper job now......

This will be my last renumbering for several months, as I've got myself so far ahead (19 locos to be precise). Ordered myself a couple of aircraft model kits from Airfix to amuse myself in the meantime...

Edited by toboldlygo

After testing mine on both inner and outer circuits, I can say that the modified draincocks and steps work well and there were no bogie derailments caused by the steps or pipes.

However, after several circuits of a running session, it did derail on the outer circuit. When I picked the locomotive up off the track, the entire bogie dropped off! It had lost the retaining nut somewhere on the track, and since most of that is in tunnel, I don't hold too much hope of finding it again. I went and got a normal 8BA nut from my parts drawers, and, while it worked on the screw thread, it was too large for the recess cast into the bogie chassis. I had to file and grind each face of the nut down a bit until it fitted in the hole. Having got the assembly back together, I added a drop of superglue to make sure this nut doesn't go missing.

The locomotive was placed back on the short parcels train it had been pulling and all was well again.

I am sure Hornby could have supplied the correct nut if I had asked, but that would have taken weeks to get here, and my bodge has worked well enough to be a permanent fix.

SRman you could have used your new Laboratory coach and retrieve the spare nut! OR the other option is to borrow a rare earth magnet and sent it around on the bottom of a Bachmann wagon! I bet it would come back shortly there after!!! :boast:

Must drop over and see the beast.... (reminds self of No 825 at Goathland station  I have as the wall paper on the laptop !) Trying not to purchase one :nono:

Hi Doug. I did send the Laboratory coach around in vacuum mode. It picked up a few things but not the nut.

I do intend to send a magnet around like I did once before, but if the Hornby nut is brass, that won't do anything! 

The double-flywheel motor arrangement and heavy traction weight mean that an S15 would probably suit your layout very well. I can just picture a Southern liveried example gliding around your layout ...

• Like 1