Hornby EXETER

Standardtank

Here's a couple of pics I've blown up, as when I looked at them with a naked eye it wasn't clear which was in the right position. The first pic is of Exeter's tender and the second of Manston. Upon looking at them blown up, I would say it was Manston that is correct.

attachicon.gifExeter.jpgattachicon.gifManston.jpg

Hi Sandwich that's great, inclined to agree with you about the pic of Manston showing the correct position.

Cheers, Mike C

• RMweb Gold

Am I mistaken or does the new model Hornby Exeter incorrectly have an AWS battery box on the front, where the Sanda Kan version correctly did not?

Oops! Reading back through the thread I see this detail is well-known.  An SK 34001, with correct front,  is now for sale at £1,000 or offer....   :)

SK version below , with some editing, but not to front buffer-top.

attachicon.gif34001_BR_Bulleid_shed_6ab_r1200_full.jpg

You are correct but unless somebody has been unusually generous with the glue (there often isn't any) it is the work of moments to remove it. 

Anybody who pays that sort of money for the SK version has more money than sense. £200 top whack and that much only if you are an R-number desperado who must have one in a box marked SK to go with the one marked CHL.

Don't get it myself, but I'm the sort of person who has acquired a set of plates to turn the earlier Manston into 229 Squadron...............

J.

• RMweb Gold

The AWS box will come off with the use of a sharp knife, but be very careful as it is glued on well.

Personally I am waiting (if I live that long!) for the R3445 'Camelford' model to come out, that should be the ideal donor for the locos without a plaque.

Glenn

Typical. On a couple of earlier models that should have them, I've had the AWS boxes fall out !!!!!

Good call re 'Camelford'. I'd mistakenly assumed it was going to be in Malachite so I'd better get saving. Should do nicely for 34038 Lynton by my reckoning.

John

Judging by the images showing wires between loco and tender, in contrast to the previous 2-pole live connection via the loco draw-bar, I think it probably is.

Curious as the original WC has plenty of real estate in the loco for chip and speaker. Will review as to whether I add sound to my older Winston Churchill or the new Bude when it arrives.

The rebuilts with the old tender connecting pin present some challenges as far as sound fitting goes.

Typical. On a couple of earlier models that should have them, I've had the AWS boxes fall out !!!!!

Good call re 'Camelford'. I'd mistakenly assumed it was going to be in Malachite so I'd better get saving. Should do nicely for 34038 Lynton by my reckoning.

John

I just hope they don't glue 'Camelford' on as well as they have done with Exeter and Bude, or easy renaming might be limited to the longer names: Tamar Valley, Watersmeet, Shaftesbury for example.

• RMweb Gold

That's good, one less. :)

Not terribly rare anyway. It might have been a limited edition but there were loads of spare body shells to be had at one time.

You can only be sure it's the "real thing" if you have the box insert and certificate to go with it.

J

• RMweb Gold

I just hope they don't glue 'Camelford' on as well as they have done with Exeter and Bude, or easy renaming might be limited to the longer names: Tamar Valley, Watersmeet, Shaftesbury for example.

That would rule it out for me so I won't pre-order one.

I don't "do" locos that were later rebuilt; I already have Watersmeet and I have been saving my last Wilton to use as a base for creating Shaftesbury with the 1960 experimental revised smoke deflectors.

Might get an Exeter and turn it into Salisbury or Exmouth instead. 

John

• RMweb Gold

I don't "do" locos that were later rebuilt; I already have Watersmeet and I have been saving my last Wilton to use as a base for creating Shaftesbury with the 1960 experimental revised smoke deflectors.

John

Erm, actually I do have every intention to every member of the class at least twice, albeit as a different variation...

• RMweb Gold

Erm, actually I do have every intention to every member of the class at least twice, albeit as a different variation...

I wish you well. I don't have the time or space to do so, even if I had the inclination.

My policy is designed purely to prevent me accidentally running locos together inappropriately. My chosen modelling period of 1959-61 thus rules out any loco in air-smoothed condition that was rebuilt earlier and excluding those modified during that time just makes things that much easier. I still have 110 Light Pacifics to choose from in either form and I don't envisage doing more than about forty in total anyway.

The biggest difficulty (no doubt even greater for you) is getting enough cut-down 4500 gallon tender bodies to do a few favourite wide-cab non-rebuilt locos that were so equipped without creating unusable "leftovers" or an unbalanced selection of rebuilt locos. 

John

• RMweb Gold

The biggest difficulty (no doubt even greater for you) is getting enough cut-down 4500 gallon tender bodies to do a few favourite wide-cab non-rebuilt locos that were so equipped without creating unusable "leftovers" or an unbalanced selection of rebuilt locos. 

John

Already done the class once, so the issue with tenders is not a problem ;)

John

Having kept two Sanda Kan-made Exeter models and watched them selling for well over £200 ea on Ebay I'm wondering where I went wrong in my calculations! 

Still, they are nice models the SK version or the current one, roll on the original Merchant Navy! I am wondering which will arrive first, the MN by Hornby or the H2 Ivatt Marsh Atlantic by Bachmann.

Not terribly rare anyway. It might have been a limited edition but there were loads of spare body shells to be had at one time.

You can only be sure it's the "real thing" if you have the box insert and certificate to go with it.

J

It's rarer than most as only 500 models were sold with the certificate.

I have the box, box insert and certificate that has my name on it, as I was the one that purchased it direct from Hornby. :)

It's rarer than most as only 500 models were sold with the certificate.

I have the box, box insert and certificate that has my name on it, as I was the one that purchased it direct from Hornby. :)

Let me get this straight, there were 500 Manstons in the original run,  (less one thankyou toboldlygo  :) )  but how many in the current collectors edition? 500?

How many Exeters in the original SK run, 210 is a number I've read but who would know?  I see Hattons have sold out of current Exeters.  I quite like rare models but usually it's by accident not design!

• RMweb Gold

Let me get this straight, there were 500 Manstons in the original run,  (less one thankyou toboldlygo  :) )  but how many in the current collectors edition? 500?

How many Exeters in the original SK run, 210 is a number I've read but who would know?  I see Hattons have sold out of current Exeters.  I quite like rare models but usually it's by accident not design!

The new one is supposed to be 750

Incidentally, Hatton's are still listing 'Exeter' as available to pre-order so they are presumably expecting more.

J.

• RMweb Gold

But unlike the Exeter's which look the same. The 2 runs of Manston are of it in different eras

And they could do a third, if they so wished, because Manston was one of the relatively few Light Pacifics that carried both early and late BR emblems before her tender was cut-down.

J.  

• RMweb Gold
Dunsignalling, on 03 Jan 2016 - 22:03, said:Dunsignalling, on 03 Jan 2016 - 22:03, said:

The new one is supposed to be 750

Incidentally, Hatton's are still listing 'Exeter' as available to pre-order so they are presumably expecting more.

J.

The reason Hatton's sold out so quickly was because they were much cheaper than anyone else (£108 compared to £124).  Model Railways Direct still have 18 in stock, for example - http://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk/Hornby-R3115-BR-Unrebuilt-West-Country-Exeter/

But unlike the Exeter's which look the same. .........

No,  the "new" Exeter has an (incorrect) AWS box.  I think this is a clever move by Hornby because it puts the collectors in the position of having to buy the "new" one whilst keeping the rarity value of the first release.

I still would have preferred a different name.

• RMweb Gold

No,  the "new" Exeter has an (incorrect) AWS box.  I think this is a clever move by Hornby because it puts the collectors in the position of having to buy the "new" one whilst keeping the rarity value of the first release.

It is also a clever move because the collectors will be buying something that is wrong, and deeply unlikely to do anything about it, unlike competent persons hereabouts.

As for different names, I feel Hornby got it wrong with their original Bude. Had they done Barnstaple or Yeovil then, Bude now, having kept the long deflectors as it uniquely did, would surely sell better to those looking for variety rather than duplication.

• RMweb Gold
phil gollin, on 04 Jan 2016 - 11:23, said:

Me too.  34002 Salisbury would have been a good choice, as it was in service from 1945 till 1967 and was not rebuilt, whereas Exeter was one of the first to be rebuilt.

• RMweb Gold

Easy enough to renumber and rename ;)

Yes, I fancy 34016 Bodmin myself for some reason.....

For some reason I have a liking for 34006 'Bude', which is patiently waiting in a box for me to photograph today.  The history was good, lovely early photos from the exchanges in 1948, and never re-built.  I wonder if post-1963 the Bulleids were ever seen with Pannier tanks in the background in a shed scene?

I agree 34002 'Salisbury' would make a nice late BR photo too. The photos in the many and various books about the last year or two of the Southern steam days certainly have a sad look about them, notably David Shepherd's 'An Artist Among The Ashes'.  Inspirational too.  

Archived