Hornby EXETER

Standardtank

• 1 month later...

All of the new batch of Hornby Bulleids are about to hit the streets. Let us hope that they are of better than the last batch of Exeters!

All four have appeared together and just before Christmas!! Not good for what is left of the bank balance.

It will be real austerity in the New Year I think.

All of the new batch of Hornby Bulleids are about to hit the streets. Let us hope that they are of better than the last batch of Exeters!

All four have appeared together and just before Christmas!! Not good for what is left of the bank balance.

It will be real austerity in the New Year I think.

Agree, what with the PMVs, and 73s also coming out, 2015 has really been a bumper year for southern types.

Let me see now, I have brought:

1 C class,

4 E4s,

1 700,

1 class 50,

2 S15s,

2 O2s

1 Oxford Radial

3 PMVs

1 class 71 (pre paid)

1 class 74 (pre paid)

To finish off the year, possibly a Bude and another 73

Next year is quiter:

2 Hornby Radials,

2 merchant Navies

Maybe a pair of Terriers

1 USA tank

4 ex LSWR coaches

2 ex LSWR push pull coaches

A couple of cattle trucks

Looking at the photos, this new version has an AWS box on the front buffer beam. I'm pretty sure the previous version didn't.

You sir are correct, I have one of the previous 'limited editions' and it does not have an AWS box on the front buffer beam. Even more exclusive?  :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

My Exeter is on its way from Hatton's, along with Okehampton, but I see that they have now sold out of Exeter and there are only 2 Okehampton's left in stock as I write this.  Glad I pre-ordered.

I suspect the AWS box has come about by using different tooling from the original batch. Wonder if Manston or Winston Churchill will have one too?

• RMweb Gold

Mine Exeter is on its way from Hatton's, along with Okehampton, but I see that they have now sold out of Exeter and there are only 2 Okehampton's left in stock as I write this.  Glad I pre-ordered.

I suspect the AWS box has come about by using different tooling from the original batch. Wonder if Manston or Winston Churchill will have one too?

I'm not interested in 'Exeter' as in my modelling period it was a rebuilt. That AWS box definitely shouldn't be on her in non-rebuilt condition but its presence does ensure that those collectors who managed to get the first version will have to buy one of these too.........Cynical? Moi?

The photo on Hatton's site shows 'Winston Churchill' (correctly) has one fitted. The entry for 'Manston' in 'Derry' doesn't mention AWS at all but the photo shows it fitted, albeit after the tender had received the late BR emblem so we need a different source for that.

'Bude' already heading my way and I weakened and bunged in an order for 'Okehampton' ten minutes ago!

EDIT: 'Okehampton' no longer shown on Hatton's website (at 09.10) - I've had the 'Order Processed' email so presumably I got to it in time.

John

• RMweb Gold

Exeter is indeed wrong regarding it having an AWS box, but there were some in exactly the same condition as Exeter with AWS boxes fitted. Gavin Morrison's "Power of the Light Pacifics" has a picture of 34020 Seaton in this condition, as well as 34069 Hawkinge although the latter looks to have the later crest on its unmodified tender.  A number of the BR-built series were also in this condition but having the 9ft wide cab and tender were not suitable renumbering candidates. May renumber my Exeter as 34020 at some point to make it authentic.

See also https://www.flickr.com/photos/138254590@N03/23456599540/in/photolist-fxBzzQ-fwkguo-fwuumd-q7gzLc-dcZ222-8T49L4-CeLf5b-qUg9vh-4iZavp-cMwJkq-jJzCTo-pdEgVz-pVxgtQ-BJMcQ1

EDIT: See also https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=34020+seaton+photo&rlz=1C1AFAB_enGB500GB500&espv=2&biw=1680&bih=929&tbm=isch&imgil=oQdjWFrL4HV54M%253A%253Bn8_9_AtPzWylEM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.railwayana.net%25252Fguides%25252FLoco_Train%25252Floco%2525252520nameplates%25252Floco_nameplates_steam.htm&source=iu&pf=m&fir=oQdjWFrL4HV54M%253A%252Cn8_9_AtPzWylEM%252C_&dpr=1&usg=__gu12WVLrzMnk16Nkvl52mDqd4h0%3D&ved=0ahUKEwi6pdGP-rXJAhUBXBoKHV5VA3oQyjcIMw&ei=jhpbVrqmDIG4ad6qjdAH#imgrc=oQdjWFrL4HV54M%3A&usg=__gu12WVLrzMnk16Nkvl52mDqd4h0%3D

• RMweb Gold

Exeter is indeed wrong regarding it having an AWS box, but there were some in exactly the same condition as Exeter with AWS boxes fitted. Gavin Morrison's "Power of the Light Pacifics" has a picture of 34020 Seaton in this condition, as well as 34069 Hawkinge although the latter looks to have the later crest on its unmodified tender.  A number of the BR-built series were also in this condition but having the 9ft wide cab and tender were not suitable renumbering candidates. May renumber my Exeter as 34020 at some point to make it authentic.

See also https://www.flickr.com/photos/138254590@N03/23456599540/in/photolist-fxBzzQ-fwkguo-fwuumd-q7gzLc-dcZ222-8T49L4-CeLf5b-qUg9vh-4iZavp-cMwJkq-jJzCTo-pdEgVz-pVxgtQ-BJMcQ1

Seaton is one of two 'badged' WCs that offer an (approximately) 18 month 'window' between receiving AWS and getting tender surgery, the other being 34015 Exmouth.

34002 Salisbury was like it for two full years as was 34007 Wadebridge but Hornby have already 'done' the latter and you may already have it.

Most seem to have got AWS and cut-down tenders (or were rebuilt) at the same time and I think those four are all the suitable candidates.

Hawkinge did indeed receive late crest on her high-sided tender which I have represented using the early Tangmere model as a base and changing the emblem. I subsequently acquired a train-pack Tangmere with cut-down tender.

Mind you, it may be that simply removing the AWS battery box, thereby enabling the model to remain as Exeter offers the easiest option.

John

EDIT: 'Badgeless' locos like 34030 Watersmeet as suggested above are an option but, in my experience it is very hard to hide the evidence of a removed badge.

Well Manston has FINALLY arrived........how many years have we been waiting?? Haven't taken it out of its packaging to examine it for rogue safety boxes - it will be off to Howes in the New Year for sound fitting. It will grace my layout, as the real one was the last Bulleid pacific I traveled home behind many many years ago.

Seaton is one of two 'badged' WCs that offer an (approximately) 18 month 'window' between receiving AWS and getting tender surgery, the other being 34015 Exmouth.

34002 Salisbury was like it for two full years as was 34007 Wadebridge but Hornby have already 'done' the latter and you may already have it.

Most seem to have got AWS and cut-down tenders (or were rebuilt) at the same time and I think those four are all the suitable candidates.

Hawkinge did indeed receive late crest on her high-sided tender which I have represented using the early Tangmere model as a base and changing the emblem. I subsequently acquired a train-pack Tangmere with cut-down tender.

Mind you, it may be that simply removing the AWS battery box, thereby enabling the model to remain as Exeter offers the easiest option.

John

EDIT: 'Badgeless' locos like 34030 Watersmeet as suggested above are an option but, in my experience it is very hard to hide the evidence of a removed badge.

Totally agree regarding possible change to a loco without a plaque. I removed them from two Exeters yesterday and they left a lovely mess on the casing, not a hope of cleaning it up unless you contemplate a full respray. Mine are to become Padstow and Lyme Regis, so not a problem as the etched plaques should cover the mess. The AWS box will come off with the use of a sharp knife, but be very careful as it is glued on well.

Personally I am waiting (if I live that long!) for the R3445 'Camelford' model to come out, that should be the ideal donor for the locos without a plaque.

Glenn

• RMweb Gold

Unpacked my Bude this morning & found a piece of detail rodding floating around in the bottom of the packing (see attached pic), but I can't work out from where it has come - any offers?

At a guess, I'm wondering if it's from the Fireman's side - something to do with the ash pan??

Cheers, Mike C 

It's off the right-hand side of the tender chassis - it's the brake linkage at behind the rear set of wheels, they do have a habit of coming off!!

• RMweb Gold
SDJR7F88, on 27 Dec 2015 - 16:45, said:SDJR7F88, on 27 Dec 2015 - 16:45, said:SDJR7F88, on 27 Dec 2015 - 16:45, said:SDJR7F88, on 27 Dec 2015 - 16:45, said:SDJR7F88, on 27 Dec 2015 - 16:45, said:

Is the DCC socket now in the tender?

Yes it is - also on 34013 Okehampton.  I bought a Lenz Silver Direct decoder (ie 8-pin integrated without wires) for the Hornby 700, but it wouldn't fit as the socket was too close to the front slope of the tender.  Tried it in the S15 but the socket was too far back and the decoder fouled the pillars for the tender mounting screws.  But with Exeter the 8-pin socket position was just right - bang in the centre.  Got a bit of a Goldilocks feeling when it fitted! So I suspect that any 8-pin decoder will fit with ease. Okehampton has a Lenz Standard+.

Incidentally the first thing I had to do was remove the capacitor in the wiring loom in the tender, as I was getting very erratic running until that was done.

Thanks toboldlygo, will try & have a look / have a go at refitting it.

Now to find a pic to help.

Cheers, Mike C

Here's a couple of pics I've blown up, as when I looked at them with a naked eye it wasn't clear which was in the right position. The first pic is of Exeter's tender and the second of Manston. Upon looking at them blown up, I would say it was Manston that is correct.

post-19662-0-95539400-1451256610_thumb.jpgpost-19662-0-77694100-1451256888_thumb.jpg

Am I mistaken or does the new model Hornby Exeter incorrectly have an AWS battery box on the front, where the Sanda Kan version correctly did not?

Oops! Reading back through the thread I see this detail is well-known.  An SK 34001, with correct front,  is now for sale at £1,000 or offer....  :)

SK version below , with some editing, but not to front buffer-top.

post-7929-0-14719800-1451263303_thumb.jpg

Archived