Hornby EXETER

Standardtank

• RMweb Gold

I've been hoping for 'Bude' to be released in proper Southern Region condition ever since they did the funny 1948 one.

It's also the only one that will definitely be different from any you already have.

The long deflectors do make a difference. I note that Bulleid tenders occasionally appear on ebay. I think a malachite version sans lettering would make the Hornby Bude look right for the immediate post-trials era.

• RMweb Gold

The long deflectors do make a difference. I note that Bulleid tenders occasionally appear on ebay. I think a malachite version sans lettering would make the Hornby Bude look right for the immediate post-trials era.

I am looking at mine as I post. I have paired it with a matching sunshine/malachite "British Railways" tender. Have to say,it does look a handsome beast ,though whether it ran with that I cannot tell.Was cosidering converting to "Yeovil".

Another thread that I should have avoided...  Exeter I thought, why so many pages.......  I know now, very addictive, started at the beginning and working my way through.  I did think:  Big engines, must avoid, not very useful on a small layout, hmmmmmm.

Then came the discovery of the North Cornwall, maybe just one.....  The score so far is three unrebuilt West Countries and two rebuilt Merchant Navies....  The Lightweights I can just about justify.  The Heavyweights, well I just like them, far more classy than a WC or BoB, they just ooze power.

Luckily I'm a relative heathen regarding what's on a lmodel oco.  I may know, but can turn a blind eye if the loco looks the part from 3 feet away and runs well.  I can remember in the early 60s when you could buy a Bullied Pacific that was a different body on a Princess Chassis (spoked wheels to boot, arghhhh), I wonder if any of those are still in existence.

Back to ballasting in the workshop....

• RMweb Gold

I am looking at mine as I post. I have paired it with a matching sunshine/malachite "British Railways" tender. Have to say,it does look a handsome beast ,though whether it ran with that I cannot tell.Was cosidering converting to "Yeovil".

The Derry book has a pic of Bude in about 1949. It has a smokebox numberplate vice the Southern roundel, but an unlettered tender. As it clearly bore Southern insignia during the trials, there may have been a period on return where the roundel was still in place.

IIRC Hornby's original announcement of the original WC/BB included a narrow cab version, but this was dropped before the first models (Wilton etc.) were produced.

They have done the narrow cab (wedge shape) but not the original narrow cab (perpendicular form), come to think of it, they have not done the original full width cab either.

The Derry book has a pic of Bude in about 1949. It has a smokebox numberplate vice the Southern roundel, but an unlettered tender. As it clearly bore Southern insignia during the trials, there may have been a period on return where the roundel was still in place.

The same book p8 shows 34005 and 34006 with front roundel and 'British Railways' tender at Brighton on 14 Aug 1948. They do not have slide-bar covers either.  I used this picture, where both are in pristine condition, as a basis for my picture (link a few posts back)  where I used the tender from s21C157 'Biggin Hill'... from 'The Thanet Belle' trainpack .

Tender swaps were quite quick and sometimes actually done with an engine in steam.

• RMweb Gold

They have done the narrow cab (wedge shape) but not the original narrow cab (perpendicular form), come to think of it, they have not done the original full width cab either.

The 9ft wide cabs provided with the BR-built locos 34071-34110 all had the wedge shape from new.

The 9ft wide cabs provided with the BR-built locos 34071-34110 all had the wedge shape from new.

Indeed, not sure why I thought there was an original 9ft flat faced cab, maybe mixed my thoughts with another class.

But there is definitely a wedge shaped narrow cab as an option with the Hornby model.

• RMweb Gold

As did 21C165 to 21C170 with the narrow cabs.

I have spotted an interesting "on the cusp" entry published in Mr Derry's book. If I am interpreting it correctly, the information listed for 21C164 indicates that it might have run in traffic for up to a week with the early cab before receiving the wedge-front modification.

Can anybody confirm if this actually happened or is it just a quirk of the book-keeping process which often recorded events under week numbers rather than full dates?

John

An Exeter on Ebay just sold today for £195 or thereabouts.  So  it is still sought after. Lots of bidders.

Just saw the Hornby 'last chance' offer now sold out of e771 Sir Sagramore N15 SR colours it was £166 !   as a special ...?

Suddenly my NRM weathered Ivatt Atlantic BR black seems very cheap at around £175 air delivered to NZ (no VAT)... supposed to arrive at NRM/Locomotion this week.

I just (last week) bought an engine similar to Maunsell North British SR N15 'Sir Sagramore', Urie SR N15 'Etarre' as new for $67 on Ebay, already delivered, and no satan's plug either.  Lovely!

Who's be a retailer these days!  Come to think of it, who would buy some new models at £150+?

Even Sir Sagramore does not have Satan's plug looking at the picture on Hornby's website. For me, this is a strong indication that the model won't be a straight forwards, plug it in for DCC sound.

Still £166 for an Arthur, oach. I almost brought all three of mine for that.

It seems many of the older super detail toolings are still using the older meaty tender pin with wipers above and below it. That said, West countrys have plenty of space Inside the loco body.

An Exeter on Ebay just sold today for £195 or thereabouts.  So  it is still sought after. Lots of bidders.

Just saw the Hornby 'last chance' offer now sold out of e771 Sir Sagramore N15 SR colours it was £166 !   as a special ...?

Suddenly my NRM weathered Ivatt Atlantic BR black seems very cheap at around £175 air delivered to NZ (no VAT)... supposed to arrive at NRM/Locomotion this week.

I just (last week) bought an engine similar to Maunsell North British SR N15 'Sir Sagramore', Urie SR N15 'Etarre' as new for $67 on Ebay, already delivered, and no satan's plug either.  Lovely!

Who's be a retailer these days!  Come to think of it, who would buy some new models at £150+?

No, the £166 is just the current RRP that all Hornby 'special offer' items go back to once they 'sell out' of the offer on the website. I recall that when I first looked after getting the email, the few they had in the 'last chance' sale were up for about £99 so not much different to KMRC and other retailers current 'sale' pricing for this model.

A description so good it's worthy of being a times crossword clue.

Indeed the small plug which can be located by designers in any of several hard-to-access places, and nearly all invite detachment with a pull on thin wires with thus inviting complete failure of the whole machine, one of the poorest pieces of design I have ever come across.  Quite apart from the issue of inverting a fragile model like a (Schools class) in order to attach and detach wires.

The special pincer-like tool which helps remove the plug was never made easy-to-buy either.

A very British thing.

• RMweb Gold

Indeed the small plug which can be located by designers in any of several hard-to-access places, and nearly all invite detachment with a pull on thin wires with thus inviting complete failure of the whole machine, one of the poorest pieces of design I have ever come across.  Quite apart from the issue of inverting a fragile model like a (Schools class) in order to attach and detach wires.

The special pincer-like tool which helps remove the plug was never made easy-to-buy either.

A very British thing.

Peter's Spares also.But it ain't no magic bullet either.

• RMweb Gold

As did 21C165 to 21C170 with the narrow cabs.

I have spotted an interesting "on the cusp" entry published in Mr Derry's book. If I am interpreting it correctly, the information listed for 21C164 indicates that it might have run in traffic for up to a week with the early cab before receiving the wedge-front modification.

Can anybody confirm if this actually happened or is it just a quirk of the book-keeping process which often recorded events under week numbers rather than full dates?

John

There's a picture of 21C164 in Gavin Morrison's "Power of the Bulleid Light Pacifics" which is described as an official picture taken outside Brighton Works when the engine was new. It has the new wedge cab front plate and angled windows, although it retained the two cabside windows.

Peter's Spares also.But it ain't no magic bullet either.

Try to remove Satan's plug from the tender of the B.R. 28xx is impossible, even with the special tool!!

This was the last Hornby loco I purchased some two years ago, and due to the problems encountered have hot purchased a Hornby loco since!!

• RMweb Gold

Try to remove Satan's plug from the tender of the B.R. 28xx is impossible, even with the special tool!!

This was the last Hornby loco I purchased some two years ago, and due to the problems encountered have hot purchased a Hornby loco since!!

Mine are all dc. Once in place,I make no attempt to remove them.I appreciate exactly what you say.

• RMweb Gold

The same book p8 shows 34005 and 34006 with front roundel and 'British Railways' tender at Brighton on 14 Aug 1948. They do not have slide-bar covers either.  I used this picture, where both are in pristine condition, as a basis for my picture (link a few posts back)  where I used the tender from s21C157 'Biggin Hill'... from 'The Thanet Belle' trainpack .

Tender swaps were quite quick and sometimes actually done with an engine in steam.

This just shows what a minefield it is to present a loco in the correct condition for a particular era. Using the tender data in the Derry book, and the photos, malachite Bude had a "British Railways" tender (presumably 3266), with Southern roundel on the smokebox in August 1948, yet a tender without markings (presumably 3262), and a BR front numberplate in early 1949.

• RMweb Premium

IIRC Hornby's original announcement of the original WC/BB included a narrow cab version, but this was dropped before the first models (Wilton etc.) were produced.

To avoid confusion, this http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_details.asp?itemid=2045 is the version that was announced (R2219 21C110 Sidmouth in original form) that never appeared, morphing instead into 21C123 Blackmoor Vale as preserved.

• RMweb Gold

To avoid confusion, this http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_details.asp?itemid=2045 is the version that was announced (R2219 21C110 Sidmouth in original form) that never appeared, morphing instead into 21C123 Blackmoor Vale as preserved.

The "as preserved" is rather important as 'Blackmore Vale' became 34023 (1948) and received Brunswick green paint (1950) some years before the cab modification (1954). 

The model can more accurately be used to represent a number of other locos for those willing to rename.

John

The "as preserved" is rather important as 'Blackmore Vale' became 34023 (1948) and received Brunswick green paint (1950) some years before the cab modification (1954). 

The model can more accurately be used to represent a number of other locos for those willing to rename.

John

Careful, R2219 has the safety valves in the revised reaward position, correct for Blackmoor Vale as preserved, but not for other Southern liveried locos, even those with wedge cabs....

Archived