Hornby EXETER

Standardtank

Well, even though I'm sure most people have long since "closed the book" on this item, I received today the following;

Dear Customer

I write with regards to your pre-order for R3115 (West Country Class steam locomotive 4-6-2 un-rebuilt 34001 "Exeter" in BR green with early crest). Due to the ongoing ambiguity on the status of this loco from our supplier, it is with regret that we have to cancel your pre-order. We will not be receiving any further delivery of this loco meaning we are unable to fulfill your order and as such it has been cancelled from our system. No payment has been taken at this stage nor will any payment be taken in future

I understand that you will be disappointed and frustrated with this news but please be aware that we have done everything in our power to resolve this issue prior to cancelling your order. All future orders will be unaffected and we consider this to be an isolated problem.

I am truly sorry for the inconvenience caused. If you have any further questions then please do not hesitate to get in touch with us.

Kind Regards

Your Hatton’s Team

Looks like they were hopeful, indeed/agreed probably dreaming, but at least seemed to have been working on the possibility of more coming, but alas, seems it's "over"...

Just thought I'd share this as some form of closure.

Oh, and NO I won't be bidding or even dreaming of paying the BIN price for this gem :jester: -->  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R3115-Unrebuilt-West-Country-Class-Exeter-Locomotive-OO-/111608573042?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19fc63ac72

and am willing to bet it won't go for that amount as a couple have sold for rather less in the past few weeks... I think the seller is dreaming, IMHO, maybe I'll be proven wrong.

Here's to "Bude" :senile:

Someone paid the £325 for it yesterday. thats two in two weeks at inflated prices, which is ridiculous imo.

• RMweb Gold

I saw an Exeter for sale on a traders stand at Stafford for £250!!

I tend to take the high sided tenders and cut them down. Much prefer the cut down version but thats probably just me being odd :sungum:

If I can get the WInston Churchill sets cheap I will be using those for renumbering projects. Its just what to do with the coaches

I saw an Exeter for sale on a traders stand at Stafford for £250!!

Just hope Hornby don't decide to bring more limited editions out with a higher retail price on them. Seeing some people will pay crazy amounts of money for a loco.

Someone paid the £325 for it yesterday. thats two in two weeks at inflated prices, which is ridiculous imo.

Well, that's just plain NUTS!! I see it was a "newbie" has a rating of 19!

If I really wanted it that bad I'd have bid on it with a max. bid of 325 or a little less (as no one should have been daft enough to pay that much for it) and that would have cancelled the BIN, and would probably have resulted in a final purchase close to 75 quid less!

Guess there's no accounting for stupidity! :jester:

They have to be off there rocker to pay that price, then again they my just keep it for a year or so and try and sell it for even more?

Can not understand why not just buy a second hand WC and re number and name it, it got to work out cheaper, even if you send it to be renumbered and named.

There's one currently on ebay at £299 with, allegedly 10 watchers. It's been on for 3 days. 

I have to admit to buying three  Exeters to build up a 'team' of what I hoped would be better running unbrebuilt Bulleids for my SR themed layout. Did not pay more than £180 for any of them. Kept one as Exeter and re-named two after locos that took me to school in the late 50's.Have had problems with ALL three. From valve gear falling apart (2), oval shaped drive cog (1) and faulty power pickups in the tender (2) and faulty back to backs (all three). Real shoddy workmanship! Although fair to say Hornby have sorted out the valve gear issues!

On a slightly related theme I see last years Club model Manston isn't billed to appear until October THIS YEAR (which will probably translate to October 2016) so as you have to be a club member to buy it at, £20 per year, £180 for an Exeter looks reasonable?

• RMweb Premium

Despite all the complaints and froth about the under supply problems with Exeter, it seems that a surprising number of people seem to have got one, those on here and also the number for sale on Ebay (and bear in mind also that the majority of modellers don't look at RMWEB).

Referring to post 662, I havn't bought any Bullieds for at least 5 years, but the only thing I've ever had to 'fix' on mine is to adjust the wheel back to backs.

The only locos where I've had to fiddle with tender pick ups have been the loco drive 4Fs, and I do always check every wheel/pickup for continuity with a tester. 

• RMweb Gold

There's one currently on ebay at £299 with, allegedly 10 watchers. It's been on for 3 days. 

Most of the "watchers" are probably just observing with horrified amazement the insanity of a plastic model loco being touted for 300 quid.  Best way to see if its sold or withdrawn.  I did a lot of "watching" when the original Raspberry Pi came out three years ago.  (three years?  Eeek!).  "Vendors" were offering a £27 Pi for upwards of £90, without a reasonable expectation of having one to deliver when the auction finished*.  Getting them taken down was like playing WhackaMole....

* The first batch were made in China.  The Chinese manufacturers did interesting things like substituting parts  that would not work....  Nowadays the Pi is made in the UK.  They've sold over 5 million!

I didnt renumber mine - just rebuilt it :sungum:

I think if I decide I actually want an air-smoothed Exeter (or more likely some other running number) it's looking much more sensible to buy "any old spam can" from eBay and renumber, they are certainly obtainable for far less than a "real" Exeter it seems.

Far as running is concerned, the other two I have, "City of Wells" and "Winston Churchill" both run wonderfully and have not had any issues at all, so maybe getting an older one is a bonus :)

Indeed, I'm one of them. The auction has now been ended as "the item is no longer available"  :jester:

Either they decided it was a nutty price or WORSE STILL someone offered them some crazy over-the-odds amount if they'd sell it direct - not sure that's exactly "eBay legal" but who'd ever know...

• RMweb Gold

I think if I decide I actually want an air-smoothed Exeter (or more likely some other running number) it's looking much more sensible to buy "any old spam can" from eBay and renumber, they are certainly obtainable for far less than a "real" Exeter it seems.

Far as running is concerned, the other two I have, "City of Wells" and "Winston Churchill" both run wonderfully and have not had any issues at all, so maybe getting an older one is a bonus :)

The only issues with the older unrebuilts such as Wilton etc is that the rear driver has too much spring in it especially if you fit an Albert Goodhall (now RT) White metal ash pan parts. Therefore to compensate for this I add a fair amount of weight below the chimney just behind the smoke box door.

• RMweb Premium

I've both a Wilton and Combe Martin (from a Pines Express set) and both are beautifly smooth runners never hesitating anywhere on dead frogs even without the tenders attached (just a test). 

My Combe Martin has had a few mods, I've lowered the body at the cab end because it seemed to sit a bit too high compared to the tender top, fitted new body side scrolls higher up because Combe Martin was one of those with them higher, put an Albert Goodall AWS box on the buffer beam with a homemade brass cover because I model 1961, fitted RT models cylinder drain pipes and front steps, attached the brake rigging with thin wire 'pins' as recommended on here, and blackened the wheel rims.  Nothing earth shattering here, but it improves the looks no end.  Still to do is coal, crew, (has to be Donald Beale and Peter Smith) and my own couplings.  I havn't yet plucked up the courage to fit the Albert Goodall ash pan (Combe Martin had a different one). 

Wilton is unmodified so far, but doesn't need lots of the above.   It will sit down a bit on its rear drivers when starting a heavy train, but that's all. 

• RMweb Premium

I may be wrong, but I seem to recall Roundhouse (above) once telling me that to achieve his very dull and dirty look on his Bullieds (as per the picture in post 663 above), he just sprayed them all over with Testors Dullcoat ?? 

• RMweb Gold

I may be wrong, but I seem to recall Roundhouse (above) once telling me that to achieve his very dull and dirty look on his Bullieds (as per the picture in post 663 above), he just sprayed them all over with Testors Dullcoat ?? 

Correct.

I tend to spray them with Testors Dullcote.

I also weather them with diluted dark earth or track colour with a hint of light grey in places.

• RMweb Gold

I think we know the answer to that... (see post 666 :devil: above)

no connection, etc

Mal

Are you saying that I take someone's soul (along with that of their first borne) as payment? I won't hear of such devilry!  :diablo_mini:

post-7000-0-17779500-1426266785_thumb.jpg

I haven't worked on an Air-Smoothed Battle of Britain (or West Country) in over a year.

Archived