Hornby EXETER

Standardtank

• RMweb Gold

Part of a new series I am creating. In this video we look at Hornby 'Exeter'. Despite all the controversy she is a very nice model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL

Very nicely produced,to the extent that Hornby may themselves be encouraged to use your talents on a professional basis.Yes it is a nice model,one which I am especially fortunate to possess under such supply constraints.

However,those less fortunate than myself just might see your production as the proverbial red rag before a bull...excellent and soothing as it undoubtedly is.....given the consternation the release of this item has caused. Just a thought.

• RMweb Gold

However,those less fortunate than myself just might see your production as the proverbial red rag before a bull...excellent and soothing as it undoubtedly is.....given the consternation the release of this item has caused. Just a thought.

You don't mean the newest group of extremists... E.S. - Exeter State  :jester:  :jester:

Nice video of 34001 but watching it only gets my back up because I'm never going to be able to buy one at the manufacturers price and I don't buy from ebay. I just hope Hornby does another production run of the loco. Just have to wait for 34006 and 34051but both locos don't have the high sided tender. Which is a real shame for me. Unrebuilt light pacific's look better with the high sided tenders in my opinion.

Very nicely produced,to the extent that Hornby may themselves be encouraged to use your talents on a professional basis.Yes it is a nice model,one which I am especially fortunate to possess under such supply constraints.

Glad everyone likes it and I'm chuffed with the complement about being employed but Hornby!!!!!!!!! :locomotive:

• RMweb Gold

Nice video of 34001 but watching it only gets my back up because I'm never going to be able to buy one at the manufacturers price and I don't buy from ebay. I just hope Hornby does another production run of the loco. Just have to wait for 34006 and 34051but both locos don't have the high sided tender. Which is a real shame for me. Unrebuilt light pacific's look better with the high sided tenders in my opinion.

A practical solution for you. £20 buys you membership of The Hornby Collectors Club.You will then be entitled to a purchase of 34070 'Manston' a club special to be released soon...yes it has a high sided tender....and better news is membership also gives you a £20 discount voucher to use on any Club model,which of course included Manston.Go to their website & join.

• RMweb Gold

Part of a new series I am creating. In this video we look at Hornby 'Exeter'. Despite all the controversy she is a very nice model.

I think 'Bridge over Troubled Waters' would have been a more appropriate piece of music to have as an accompaniment..

• RMweb Premium

but it does give a good impression of what we can expect when 'Bude' arrives. Nice. 

John

Unfortunately I'm not sure it does. Exeter was made by Sanda Kan whereas Bude will be made by one of the new factories and there are differences in quality between them. Personally I'm hoping Bude and Winston Churchill are produced by 'CHL' as that factory has IMHO done a better job on painting and lining than 'REF' on the locos I have (the T9 for example).

Unfortunately I'm not sure it does. Exeter was made by Sanda Kan whereas Bude will be made by one of the new factories and there are differences in quality between them. Personally I'm hoping Bude and Winston Churchill are produced by 'CHL' as that factory has IMHO done a better job on painting and lining than 'REF' on the locos I have (the T9 for example).

Indeed, I'm looking forward to Bude (unless Hornby do a "Exeter" on me/it again?!?!?! :butcher:  :triniti:  :butcher: ) and I've already got Winston Churchill...

Wish they'd add drain pipes detail add-ons to the cylinders of the air-smoothed though, seem to be able to manage it with the rebuilts and without them it makes them look quite '80's models instead of the new super detailed they are expected to be - IMHO

Indeed it was the last of the Sanda Kan unrebuilt Bulleids as far as we know, and since I have two Exeters I expect to retire rich on the profits from the sale of one of them.

It might be that collectors will value things in ways which are not always reliable, for instance not all SK models are perfect, not by a long shot, the lining of Coronation/Princes tender frames etc can be quite poor. Some non-SK A4s have poor numeral-placing?

REF and CHL have both shown that they can do superb models but still haven't got things really consistent. Not much wrong with the A3, P2, M7, N15, and Castle except running board/assembly on some and other things which in my experience happened sometimes with SK models too. edit; forgot to mention the excellent K1 . T9s, and so...?

So who will be first to offer £599 for my Exeter?

• RMweb Gold

Wish they'd add drain pipes detail add-ons to the cylinders of the air-smoothed though, seem to be able to manage it with the rebuilts and without them it makes them look quite '80's models instead of the new super detailed they are expected to be - IMHO

While the drain pipes can be added - and RT Models sell the respected former Albert Goodall product today - I'm not sure how they would fare with curves of any radius below about 48" with the front bogie clouting them. Since I suspect some of mine are about half that radius, I'm sceptical.

• RMweb Gold

While the drain pipes can be added - and RT Models sell the respected former Albert Goodall product today - I'm not sure how they would fare with curves of any radius below about 48" with the front bogie clouting them. Since I suspect some of mine are about half that radius, I'm sceptical.

They require some tweaking, but it can be done so they'll go round 3rd Radius curves...

Ahh interesting. I was planning on fabricating my own from brass wire... as with most things, especially SMALLER parts the cost and time to get them over to here sometimes isn't worth it. It looks like I could manage an acceptable job with some wire???

Far as the curves, I've tried to have a minimum 30" radius for my layout (some areas of the goods yard/engine shed down to closer to 27") and my rebuilts seem to manage the curves OK after a little fettling of the supplied pipes to try and prevent them fouling the bogie.

• 4 weeks later...

In case anyone is still interested in a new Hornby Exeter, there is one for sale in the model railway shop at Moors Valley country Park on Hampshire Dorset border. It was just shy of £150 so perhaps that is why it is still there? Thought I'd mention it as I was under the impression they were hard to get hold of.

Just makes me wonder if there are a few more out there to be found but at £150 no thanks. Knowing my luck I'll get one and Hornby would release another batch of them.

Well you can always wait for the unrebuilt MN's that Hornby have just announced for 2016 !

As I am 60+ years of age I wonder if I will live long enough to see them myself judged by the delays that happened to Exeter.

Well you can always wait for the unrebuilt MN's that Hornby have just announced for 2016 !

As I am 60+ years of age I wonder if I will live long enough to see them myself judged by the delays that happened to Exeter.

Nobbut a lad then.

PB

Well, even though I'm sure most people have long since "closed the book" on this item, I received today the following;

Dear Customer

I write with regards to your pre-order for R3115 (West Country Class steam locomotive 4-6-2 un-rebuilt 34001 "Exeter" in BR green with early crest). Due to the ongoing ambiguity on the status of this loco from our supplier, it is with regret that we have to cancel your pre-order. We will not be receiving any further delivery of this loco meaning we are unable to fulfill your order and as such it has been cancelled from our system. No payment has been taken at this stage nor will any payment be taken in future

I understand that you will be disappointed and frustrated with this news but please be aware that we have done everything in our power to resolve this issue prior to cancelling your order. All future orders will be unaffected and we consider this to be an isolated problem.

I am truly sorry for the inconvenience caused. If you have any further questions then please do not hesitate to get in touch with us.

Kind Regards

Your Hatton’s Team

Looks like they were hopeful, indeed/agreed probably dreaming, but at least seemed to have been working on the possibility of more coming, but alas, seems it's "over"...

Just thought I'd share this as some form of closure.

Oh, and NO I won't be bidding or even dreaming of paying the BIN price for this gem :jester: -->  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R3115-Unrebuilt-West-Country-Class-Exeter-Locomotive-OO-/111608573042?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19fc63ac72

and am willing to bet it won't go for that amount as a couple have sold for rather less in the past few weeks... I think the seller is dreaming, IMHO, maybe I'll be proven wrong.

Here's to "Bude" :senile:

Archived