Hornby EXETER

Standardtank

• RMweb Premium

I think the 01/01/15 was probably computer generated rather than input by human hand.

The container containing the packs would have had to have been already on its way at the time of the announcement for the first of January to be even possible.

John

I have a different theory John.

Namely that the delivery date was entered as 1/1/15 pending an accurate date from the producer.

Later the producer provided a new date 8/1/15 and whoever handles the data updates decided it was not worth updating for a single week.

Unfortunately the date provided was in American and not European notation - so M/D/YY instead of D/M/YY. 

• RMweb Premium

I see that the new WC for this year has the long smoke deflectors. Has this variation been available before?

Yes, Bude has was released a few years ago with its long smoke deflectors as R2685. However it was in SR malachite with a Stanier tender as during the 1948 loco exchanges. It's not been released in the latest form before.

Yes, Bude has was released a few years ago with its long smoke deflectors as R2685. However it was in SR malachite with a Stanier tender as during the 1948 loco exchanges. It's not been released in the latest form before.

Looks nice with a 1948 malachite 4,500 gal tender, too, from I forget which model....  edit; I remember now, s21C157 from the Thanet Belle trainpack, with 'British Railways' malachite tender and three Pullman cars,

post-7929-0-26193400-1420863372_thumb.jpg

here below is our doughty 34006 just after the 1948 trials, using the tender from above.

https://www.facebook.com/brsteamphotos/photos/a.378493222316349.1073741838.203786143120392/392670380898633/?type=1&theater

• RMweb Premium

Looking through my Hornby catalogues, am I wrong in thinking there are 3 different deflector lengths? A short one that ends just past the cylinders, a medium one that ends at behind the bogie wheel, and a long one that ends midway above the first driving wheel set?

• RMweb Gold

Looking through my Hornby catalogues, am I wrong in thinking there are 3 different deflector lengths? A short one that ends just past the cylinders, a medium one that ends at behind the bogie wheel, and a long one that ends midway above the first driving wheel set?

Yes - the locos were initially built with a short deflector, which was subsequently lengthened.  Here's one picture I can find -

http://www.southern-images.co.uk/lightbox/index.php?module=media&pId=102&id=1281

Subsequently these were lengthened to what you see in Biggin Hill in the above set.  34006 Bude ot the very long deflectors for the 1948 Exchanges, as I believe did 35020 Bibby Line.

EDIT: Blackmore Vale, in its preserved state, now has the original short deflectors.  Compare these two pictures

http://www.bulleidsociety.org/21C123/21C123_Preservation.html

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b1/Longmoor_Military_Railway_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1474154.jpg

Well finally got my Exeter running after two mechanical problems ( faulty drive cog and then a split pony wheel). Treated it to three Hornby green lit coaches. With the Howes sound chip fitted it has that characteristic 'tired' chuff at slow speeds plus the mournful whistle. But must admit it looks and sounds good. 

I see R3115's are changing hands for £250-£260 a time on ebay........no I think £140 was enough!

I was helping a mate with his layout at Beaminster show today.

A trader had an 'Exeter', the first I have actually seen, marked up at £200 and still unsold when the doors closed. 

John

Pure greed on some people's part I think, sincerely hope that those concerned are stuck with them!!!!

• RMweb Gold
Dunsignalling, on 17 Jan 2015 - 21:03, said:

A trader had an 'Exeter', the first I have actually seen, marked up at £200 and still unsold when the doors closed. 

John

Also available at a fizzing £225 on ebay while you wait. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-unrebuilt-West-country-class-steam-locomotive-Exeter-00-gauge-/201266647642?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2edc6d525a

I still want to know how some ended up in Oz, unless Hornby send them direct from the factory?

it has that characteristic 'tired' chuff at slow speeds

It's not a realistic Spam Can Chuff at slow speeds unless the beats are entirely out of time.

Pleased to see that most preserved ones faithfully reproduce that - after a few months anyway :good_mini:

John

I wonder if the price will drop once 34006 Bude becomes available to buy.

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if the price will drop once 34006 Bude becomes available to buy.

The more dedicated collectors obviously want both but, even had they been plentiful, I wouldn't have bought an Exeter other than as a basis for another loco.

I pick or produce Bulleids in the condition they were running in 1961/2, so Bude will fit but Exeter doesn't as the prototype was rebuilt in 1957.

John

I pick or produce Bulleids in the condition they were running in 1961/2, so Bude will fit but Exeter doesn't as the prototype was rebuilt in 1957.

John

Shock! But that won't allow you to buy all the original Merchant Navy locos someone is going to produce any day soon ..... ish ... possibly ....

Shock! But that won't allow you to buy all the original Merchant Navy locos someone is going to produce any day soon ..... ish ... possibly ....

You mean like this?  [note; edited from Hornby BoB/WC pic]...   If someone DOES do an original MN what cance one of the first 10?  ...which had longer more interesting histories/appearance in my view.

post-7929-0-42031400-1421614549_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I hadn't long started primary school when Exeter got rebuilt and only recall seeing a couple of MNs in their original form, but I doubt I could resist 35006..........

John

• RMweb Gold

You mean like this?  [note; edited from Hornby BoB/WC pic]...   If someone DOES do an original MN what cance one of the first 10?  ...which had longer more interesting histories/appearance in my view.

[attachment=525356:21C9_MN_21C9_Bulleid_3ab_r1200.jpg

Ah....another mirage.Water,water.......! A camel,a camel,my kingdom for a camel .

I hadn't long started primary school when Exeter got rebuilt and only recall seeing a couple of MNs in their original form, but I doubt I could resist 35006..........

John

I carefully chose 1958 to base everything around over thirty-five years ago specifically so I could run original MNs alongside rebuilds with my son.

He'll be a grandfather himself before we complete the project ........... :senile:

One of the traders had one for £125 at Canterbury exhibition this weekend.

I've been tracking them on eBay pretty much out of morbid interest, and the last one that was on "auction" sold for a lowly 176 quid, basically lowest so far on eBay.

There are FOUR on BIN, one NEW LISTING today  at 235 and the others at 265, 225 and 200 quid. I know at least the 265 and 225 have been hanging around quite some time and reposted at least once at the same price, so I think folks have gone off the boil in terms of "snapping one up".

I know for me personally it was simply getting a "NEW" one as I'd pre-ordered (but didn't receive it) and I don't actually care specifically about "Exeter" per se.

I've a "Bude" on pre-order and spent the "Exeter" money on a lovely MIB (and CHEAP since it was sold on eBay US) R2249 NRM "Ellerman Lines" instead :)

Archived