Hornby EXETER

Standardtank

• RMweb Premium

I thought R2221 Tangmere might be the same as Exeter but Ramsay's lists it as wide cab, I'm not sure. It has higher-mounted nameplate regardless, which might make re-naming to many other WCs problematic.I have ordered Fox plates so that might make my 34001 look a bit better, thanks.edit; R2221 'Tangmere' 34067 definitely looks to be narrow cab.Cheers,Rob

There are two Tangmere models. The original which was a true BR period had a narrow cab (all 34001-70 should have narrow cabs). I believe a later model matches the preserved condition with a wide cab.

Edit: corrected by post below. The preserved Tangmere doesn't have the wider cab but does have the preserved tender.

• RMweb Gold

Hi there, has anyone had a go at chipping one of these yet? Just wondering where plug is located?

Are there any pitfalls or things I should be aware of?

Cheers G

8 Pin Plug should be in the tender.

With the loco inverted in the plastic innards of the box (keeps everything straight and you less likely to break off the tender steps), first off disconnect the plug and tender coupling bar (you may wonder why but I'll get to that), then undo the to screws that secure the tender body to the chassis (these are locate either side of the NEM coupling socket).

With the two parts being separated, leave the engine where it is and take the tender and separate the body from the chassis - it will need a fair bit of persuasion to get apart the first time (the redesign for DCC Sound has made them tougher to get apart).

• RMweb Gold

8 Pin Plug should be in the tender.

With the loco inverted in the plastic innards of the box (keeps everything straight and you less likely to break off the tender steps), first off disconnect the plug and tender coupling bar (you may wonder why but I'll get to that), then undo the to screws that secure the tender body to the chassis (these are locate either side of the NEM coupling socket).

With the two parts being separated, leave the engine where it is and take the tender and separate the body from the chassis - it will need a fair bit of persuasion to get apart the first time (the redesign for DCC Sound has made them tougher to get apart).

Also quite often glue has got between the tender body and chassis at the rear where the steps are.

I think that they now glue the steps in so be careful. Some come apart easier than others.

• RMweb Gold

There are two Tangmere models. The original which was a true BR period had a narrow cab (all 34001-70 should have narrow cabs). I believe a later model matches the preserved condition with a wide cab.

The later one came in a train pack (R2308M) entitled 'The Excalibur Express' with Chocolate & Cream Mk2 coaches. Despite supposedly representing the loco in its preserved guise, it has the narrow cab. The difference is that it has a cut-down tender and late crest which the prototype received in May 1958. 

I acquired one in an anonymous blue box at an exhibition a few years ago and had quite a job identifying its origins as the train pack seems not to have been a catalogue item. It usefully replaced my own R2221 which I had already converted to 34069 'Hawkinge' to better fit my chosen time-frame.  

John

• RMweb Premium

The later one came in a train pack (R2308M) entitled 'The Excalibur Express' with Chocolate & Cream Mk2 coaches. Despite supposedly representing the loco in its preserved guise, it has the narrow cab. The difference is that it has a cut-down tender and late crest which the prototype received in May 1958. 

I acquired one in an anonymous blue box at an exhibition a few years ago and had quite a job identifying its origins as the train pack seems not to have been a catalogue item. It usefully replaced my own R2221 which I had already converted to 34069 'Hawkinge' to better fit my chosen time-frame.  

John

Thinking about it I recall also getting a Tangmere from such a Set. I remember it was much easier to remove the cabside crest from this later version than the original Tangmere, which appeared to have been welded on! I must admit to avoiding the Tangmere models for renumbering due to the cab crest being a pig to remove.

• RMweb Gold

Thinking about it I recall also getting a Tangmere from such a Set. I remember it was much easier to remove the cabside crest from this later version than the original Tangmere, which appeared to have been welded on! I must admit to avoiding the Tangmere models for renumbering due to the cab crest being a pig to remove.

Always needed to repaint the cab sides when I used them as donors ;)

Kernow update:
We have received a delivery from Hornby. Items R3099 / R3103 / R3115 / R3129 have been supplied today but only a tiny fraction of our order has been delivered. Hornby advise there will be no more of these items and we regret with the exception of R3103 we do not have enough to cover our pre-orders. Hornby say this is because Kader have only supplied a very small quantity of these models which they evidently only found out once they sent the deliveries out yesterday. We can only apologise for this as it is completely out of our control, although we do note that Hornby appear to have these models available for direct sale from their own website.

A very similar story in a newsletter received from Rails of Sheffield this am:

Hornby Update

We have received a small allocation of the R3103 and the R3115. Hornby have advised there will be no more of these items and we regret we do not have enough stock to cover our pre-orders. Hornby say this is because Kader have only supplied a very small quantity of these models which they evidently only found out once they sent the deliveries out yesterday. We can only apologise for this as it is completely out of our control. We are very disappointed that Hornby appear to have these models available for direct sale from their own website, Even though they have not fulfilled our order.

Looks like R3103 is back on sale? I'm sure it had gone out of stock?

http://www.Hornby.com/br-a4-bittern-double-tender-special-edition.html

Hi Rob

Put the name plate on with a smir of gloss varnish, Not super glue, as the varnish dries out it will pull the name plate on to the loco, have done this for all my name plates and have never had one come off.

Darren01

Thankyou. I have read some people use matt varnish and wonder if this has the same effect? I will also have to use gentle persuasion to remove the Hornby plates, not sure what kind of glue has been used but it took some tine with a sharp blade and prising to shift it, firstly the middle lifted slightly, then one end, and I was able to rotate it. I suspect superglue two dabs were used at the factory.

You can see how hamfisted I was,....Top; as received from Hornby.com. Bottom; after not-so gentle attention from small flat screwdriver blade..

post-7929-0-77533600-1418673750.jpg

post-7929-0-48714500-1418673780.jpg

p.s. I see two more Exeters sold just now for £206-225 on Ebay.

Well ----------------the 2015 Hornby announcements trumpet the arrival of two more 'spamcans''.

Winston Churchill (for the 50th anniversary of his funeral I suppose) which I saw at Waterloo with it's funeral cortege. Having got off a Reading train we weren't allowed to hang around to see the departure.But it sure did look immaculate!

And Bude in BR colours.

In view of the recent correspondence over Exeter where did these spring from?

Also I see both are being offered on pre-order--------------that's not going to please the retail guys methinks.

• RMweb Gold

Well ----------------the 2015 Hornby announcements trumpet the arrival of two more 'spamcans''.

Winston Churchill (for the 50th anniversary of his funeral I suppose) which I saw at Waterloo with it's funeral cortege. Having got off a Reading train we weren't allowed to hang around to see the departure.But it sure did look immaculate!

And Bude in BR colours.

Also I see both are being offered on pre-order--------------that's not going to please the retail guys methinks.

I did BUDE after repainting and modifying the malachite green with LM tender by replacing the tender with a spare cut down one so that newly announced BUDE is a bit late for me now.

However if i can find a buyer for Pullman coaches the WInston Churchill will come in handy for conversions!!

And Bude in BR colours.

Maybe/possibly/probably they'll be on offer as a pre-order from retailers as well, I'd expect so!

Funny, I was going to post a simple "BINGO!!" in this thread this morning (before seeing and reading the Hornby announcements), stating that I've probably guaranteed a further shipment of "Exeter" since I blew my budgeted money for her on a MIB "Ellerman Lines" NRM Limited Edition yesterday - actually only cost me 79 quid, so I'm well pleased!

Given I'll have to start saving pennies now for Bude, I figure a "surprise" further shipment of "Exeter" must show up and have me begging the CFO for the funds to obtain one! :jester:  :jester: I've already got "Winston Churchill" so don't think I need a second one...

I've Winston Churchill too but she looks a little different...

attachicon.gif21C151_4.jpg

Indeed :)

Mine's the traditional BR/SR one, given my era, and I'm expecting there won't be any real difference in the detailing on the new one vs. the one I have. So no substantial improvement, therefore no need to "upgrade".

Maybe/possibly/probably they'll be on offer as a pre-order from retailers as well, I'd expect so!

Funny, I was going to post a simple "BINGO!!" in this thread this morning (before seeing and reading the Hornby announcements), stating that I've probably guaranteed a further shipment of "Exeter" since I blew my budgeted money for her on a MIB "Ellerman Lines" NRM Limited Edition yesterday - actually only cost me 79 quid, so I'm well pleased!

Given I'll have to start saving pennies now for Bude, I figure a "surprise" further shipment of "Exeter" must show up and have me begging the CFO for the funds to obtain one! :jester:  :jester: I've already got "Winston Churchill" so don't think I need a second one...

The planned production of BR 'Bude' and 'Winston Churchill' must surely mean un-rebuilt Bulleid tooling in a new factory, but whether there will be another run of 'Exeter' is a moot point, since they were at least started in the Sanda Kan factory. I would LOVE to know what really happened to limit availability to 290 units.

off-thread but I wonder if the tooling for Britannias will be re-located, or if the labour involved in assembling these is simply too expensive? Tools lost/damaged... Similar questions for rebuilt Bulleids.

In any event Hornby's plans are encouraging.

I imagine these new models will be in the £135+ RRP area regardless

• RMweb Gold

Is there a problem with obtaining the tooling from a previous manufacturer like Sander Kan? I would have thought as the client has done all the research and costs regarding the model, would the tooling not belong to them?

Yes the tooling will belong to Hornby but such tooling is not always easily transferable to or compatable with a different manufacturers plant.

And Bude in BR colours.

Also I see both are being offered on pre-order--------------that's not going to please the retail guys methinks.[/quote

Interesting to note from the Hornby web site that the R3300 Limited edition - Winston Churchill set is quoted for delivery: 01/01/2015.

If this date is accurate, then where have the body shells been located from to produce this issue, on the basis that it has already been recorded that the body shells for Exeter were produced mid year 2014 and that no more were available?

Interesting to note from the Hornby web site that the R3300 Limited edition - Winston Churchill set is quoted for delivery: 01/01/2015.

If this date is accurate, then where have the body shells been located from to produce this issue, on the basis that it has already been recorded that the body shells for Exeter were produced mid year 2014 and that no more were available?

Unless Hornby have a stock of unfinished or unpainted SK production.... somewhere now in an REF of CHL factory these limited edition is either from older SK stock or their predicted delivery is fanciful.

This is where Nat Southworth might have been a little more forthcoming with facts.

Archived