Hornby EXETER

Standardtank

• RMweb Gold

Nothing wrong with being a collector in my view. I'm sure you will derive as much enjoyment from admiring in the display cabinet as others would running it.

Unfortunately there are some who think the word 'collector' = eBay opportunist/carpetbagger or similar.

I'm very much a collector myself at this juncture, with a view to having a layout one day in the future. I can and do run my trains on a Hornby trackmat or rolling road from time to time...

I have weathered locos before testing them :scratchhead:

Looking at more of my pictures of various versions of the WC/BoB models by Hornby, my SR 21C123 'Blackmore Vale' has no medium height front electric lamps, joining Tangmere (R2221) in the pic at the top of this page. I have checked my photos and 21C123, 34067 Tangmere, and 34081 92 Squadron have no middle lamps, all the rest of my unrebuilt Light Pacifics have them, 21C155 s21C157 34001 34006 34007 34041 34051 34061 34091 34092 34107 (I may have missed a couple).

Quite odd, I thought. But not important?

edit; here is my photo of 34081 suitably equipped...

https://www.facebook.com/brsteamphotos/photos/a.378493222316349.1073741838.203786143120392/396334250532246/?type=1&theater

project for the immediate future, a pic of 34001 Exeter with original cab, which it kept until 1955.

Here it is,

https://www.facebook.com/brsteamphotos/photos/pcb.396386300527041/396385913860413/?type=1&theater

Firstly, many thanks to MRDBLUE17 for the tip-off posted in this forum on Monday. I rang Crafty Hobbies In Barrow-in-Furness and bought the one 'Exeter' that they had in stock at under RRP and it arrived this morning. Thank you also to the lady at Crafty Hobbies for the opportunity to purchase it (she was aware of this forum thread) and for packing it so well, it arrived in perfect condition.

Now to all those that frothed that you could not find one and complained about ebay 'carpetbaggers', I gave you all 48 hours headstart after the original forum post before I bought it, so anyone who now wants it can meet me on ebay with their best offer...

(for the avoidance of doubt, the last sentence is a joke. :jester: My Exeter is destined to remain as one of the mint, unmolested examples in a display cabinet because I am more of a collector than a 'real modeller')

Well, I've two comments;

i) RATS....

ii) Lucky you, hope you enjoy it :)

I'm a "live modeller" (didn't want to use the term "real modeller" as I consider everyone a modeller even if they collect somewhat more than model, unless the collecting is simply a way to profit at everyone elses expense), and see no issue with "display modellers", I was in a somewhat similar position for years as I had no time/space to build the layout I've finally been able to start - so all power to displaying "Exeter" :)

I saw the post and responded - being on the LEFT side of the pond, and delayed 6 hours - by email long after the shop was closed for the day, of course. I was quite quickly informed the next day they still had the item, BUT, unfortunately due to work commitments etc., etc., didn't see/get to the email until it was too late to be the purchaser. <sigh> They even quoted a reasonable US shipment price, so they sound like a very nice shop.

I should also note that I HAVE been offered one by what I can only describe as a "real gentleman" on here, who had obtained two. He offered it to me for his cost plus postage. Very tempting, BUT, I had only budgeted for the loco ex-VAT (well, let's just say the CFO/Mrs had budgeted for that amount, no more!!! <sigh>) so had to decline.

It's wonderfully refreshing to see we have true gentlemen on RMWeb though - unlike the selfish SOBs that are flogging them on eBay!

I think I found one of those SOB's....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R3115-UNREBUILT-WEST-COUNTRY-CLASS-EXETER-RARE-/371212359671?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item566dfb17f7

I paid a little over the odds for mine from Olivia's, but then had it fitted out, and even then it was no where near THIS crazy price. 

tumblr_lmnh6xFGyd1qiz3j8o1_500.gif

They can ask that price but I don't see any realistic prospect of a sale at £499, it's just timewasting all round. As far as we can establish, the 'market rate is at the moment around £200-£250 based on the very few that have sold for that price. Assuming that at some point Hornby produce another streamlined WC/BoB in sufficient quantities to satisfy demand, I would expect this to fall back a bit although this one will in all likelihood continue to command some sort of premium due to it's scarcity. 

I think I found one of those SOB's....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R3115-UNREBUILT-WEST-COUNTRY-CLASS-EXETER-RARE-/371212359671?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item566dfb17f7

I paid a little over the odds for mine from Olivia's, but then had it fitted out, and even then it was no where near THIS crazy price. 

tumblr_lmnh6xFGyd1qiz3j8o1_500.gif

Interestingly, this, dare I say it "nut job seller", is the guy that bought FIVE of those that were offered earlier on a reasonable/around list price BIN amount from the one place that had 7 or so for sale on eBay.

He is ALSO bidding (though currently NOT the high bidder) on THREE others on offer on eBay - truly a miserable excuse for a trader, simply trying to corner the market and profit hugely at the expense of real modellers.

Notably he only has ONE for sale right now, so he's probably hoping the high-water mark keeps rising - for his sake I hope (as stated before) Hornby remarkably make a bunch more and he's left holdng something of far less percieved value. Truly a <pimple on the backside of humanity> :butcher:  :triniti:

• RMweb Gold

One 'Exeter' at East Somerset Model today. Was tempted, but though I would leave it for someone who really want it or missed out. Way cheaper that Ebay Prices!  :boast:

Greater love hath no man than this......etc......etc....Pass Go and do not go to jail. Your place in history is assured.

Firstly, many thanks to MRDBLUE17 for the tip-off posted in this forum on Monday. I rang Crafty Hobbies In Barrow-in-Furness and bought the one 'Exeter' that they had in stock at under RRP and it arrived this morning. Thank you also to the lady at Crafty Hobbies for the opportunity to purchase it (she was aware of this forum thread) and for packing it so well, it arrived in perfect condition.

Now to all those that frothed that you could not find one and complained about ebay 'carpetbaggers', I gave you all 48 hours headstart after the original forum post before I bought it, so anyone who now wants it can meet me on ebay with their best offer...

(for the avoidance of doubt, the last sentence is a joke. :jester: My Exeter is destined to remain as one of the mint, unmolested examples in a display cabinet because I am more of a collector than a 'real modeller')

Hi Brighton Belle,

Glad that info was useful and you were lucky enough to get one.

All the best

Mark

I really can't understand why someone would want to pay over £200 for one of these, there will be plenty of these on the way when Hornby get their act together and it's only the markings which are different from previous models, which are plentiful if must you have a spam can.

• RMweb Premium

I think the high prices are driven partly by a few collectors who feel they must have a SK produced Exeter and will also purchase an example of a re-issue from another factory (if it happens) and partly by an expectation among certain Ebay sellers that there are such collectors who haven't got one yet.

Pete

• RMweb Gold

I really can't understand why someone would want to pay over £200 for one of these, there will be plenty of these on the way when Hornby get their act together and it's only the markings which are different from previous models, which are plentiful if must you have a spam can.

Tell that to the people who used to pay four or five times the price of a standard model for a 'Limited Edition' Wrenn WC just to get a different set of transfers.

'Collecting' and 'Logic' are two words that just don't belong in the same paragraph.

John

• RMweb Gold

I think the high prices are driven partly by a few collectors who feel they must have a SK produced Exeter and will also purchase an example of a re-issue from another factory (if it happens) and partly by an expectation among certain Ebay sellers that there are such collectors who haven't got one yet.

Pete

I don't think it's just that.Hornby's Bulleid Pacifics of both varieties have not been produced for several years and consequently the value of second hand examples has risen dramatically in the last couple of years.Exeter was eagerly anticipated as a result and hopes were soon dashed.Don't hold your breath.

If the events of the last few weeks are sustained,then there perhaps will be another production of Exeter or similar.However,there is the recent example of R3105 Wellington which was released in penny numbers in the summer.More promised but none has yet appeared and it seems to have fallen off the radar. Now we have the K1 which,let's be honest,Hornby desperately needed to get to market to sustain interest in new as opposed to repeat production. More examples are promised in the next couple of months but we shall see whether or not delivery is sustained .Lack of consistency does not inspire confidence as yet.

Tell that to the people who used to pay four or five times the price of a standard model for a 'Limited Edition' Wrenn WC just to get a different set of transfers.

'Collecting' and 'Logic' are two words that just don't belong in the same paragraph.

John

I see three Exeters sold on Ebay tonight UK time all at or over £200. Two other in the last week about £225.

I put one of my two new unmarked R3115 Exeters on the NZ auction site Trademe (which lists about 300 H0/00 model engines per week) last night NZ time Sunday night at offers starting at £121, reserve somewhat above that, but 8 watchers, NO BIDS whatsoever.

Can't give it away.

Maybe because it's summer here and everyone is spending on other things beyond collecting rare models.

I think I keep it. Part of my collection. :)

As toboldlygo pointed out Exeter is not just different from markings, it is the only West Country in narrow cab BR green early crest high tender in single model form ever made by Hornby, BoB 73 Squadron is similar but has higher nameplate etc., some others from sets, 34007 Wadebridge and 34030/9/42 various sets. I'm not sure but I think people simply like to have a rare hard-to-get model, without it being a re-named re-numbered 'copy'? Some Matchbox cars and other models fetch quite high prices, or so I understand.

As in my previous post, I was lucky enough to buy two Exeters at around RRP just as it became apparent they were rare. One is faulty, a nameplate was mounted by the factory about 10 deg from horizontal which I 'fixed' by prising the plate off at one end and rotating so it was horizontal, but it bruised the nameplate so it is visible in photos, but not to my naked eye, but I can not sell it as 'unmarked' at top price. The other one hasn't been removed from its packet at all.

Either way, another rare model arrived in the mail this morning, 70008 'Black Prince' Britannia in an Argus 'Norkolkman' set, so I will see if I can get that out of its box insert without damage (no simple task, that) and proceed to photograph it. Somehow the factory naming of the model carries a certain cache of desirability compared to re-named/numbered Hornby 'authentic' version. I have a pristine Hornby rebuilt West Country 34003 'Plymouth' which is worth a lot less than the usual factory-weathered version, less than other Hornby pristine versions, because I guess it is not 'factory original'.

One is faulty, a nameplate was mounted by the factory about 10 deg from horizontal which I 'fixed' by prising the plate off at one end and rotating so it was horizontal, but it bruised the nameplate so it is visible in photos, but not to my naked eye, but I can not sell it as 'unmarked' at top price. 

Why not replace it with some Fox or Model master ones?.

One is faulty, a nameplate was mounted by the factory about 10 deg from horizontal which I 'fixed' by prising the plate off at one end and rotating so it was horizontal, but it bruised the nameplate so it is visible in photos, but not to my naked eye, but I can not sell it as 'unmarked' at top price. [/size]

Why not replace it with some Fox or Model master ones?.[/size]

Good idea, I will. That will improve it to my eyes, and after all, it's the way we look at a model which counts.

Modelmaster and Fox both sell on line. I presume red is correct for 1955-57 ? A funny feeling it ought to be black, or was that just some engines?

Edit; Fox sell the plates with optional backplates, any idea whether these are desirable/necessary?

• RMweb Premium

Good idea, I will. That will improve it to my eyes, and after all, it's the way we look at a model which counts.

Modelmaster and Fox both sell on line. I presume red is correct for 1955-57 ? A funny feeling it ought to be black, or was that just some engines?

Edit; Fox sell the plates with optional backplates, any idea whether these are desirable/necessary?

Backplates are only needed for the rebuilt locos - somewhere to pin all the plates.

(PS wasn't Tangmere a narrow cabbed loco, high raved tender and early crest release?)

Backplates are only needed for the rebuilt locos - somewhere to pin all the plates.

(PS wasn't Tangmere a narrow cabbed loco, high raved tender and early crest release?)

I thought R2221 Tangmere might be the same as Exeter but Ramsay's lists it as wide cab, I'm not sure. It has higher-mounted nameplate regardless, which might make re-naming to many other WCs problematic.

I have ordered Fox plates so that might make my 34001 look a bit better, thanks.

edit; R2221 'Tangmere' 34067 definitely looks to be narrow cab.

Cheers,

Rob

Hi Rob

Put the name plate on with a smir of gloss varnish, Not super glue, as the varnish dries out it will pull the name plate on to the loco, have done this for all my name plates and have never had one come off.

Darren01

Archived