Hornby EXETER

Standardtank

Then you get into the 50th Anniversary of the end of the S&D which brings the famous double-headed closure special with 'Bude' and 'Biggin Hill' into the frame.

Why sell one Spamcan when you could shift a twin pack!

John

Sounds like a plan to me. I'll have one. IF they make enough of 'em!!!

• RMweb Gold

I can't get my head around the tender variations on the WC/BoB class no matter how hard I try....perhaps someone might care to summarise in simple terms or point to a suitable link for a numpty like me?  :blush:

I'm hoping we get 34046 Braunton 'as preserved' with the correct tender (whatever that is!) as a 2015 announcement...

'Braunton', in rebuilt form, is one of the easiest West Countries where tenders are concerned. It only ever ran under BR with one type (barring any unrecorded temporary swaps) and now runs with a replica of the correct style in preservation though I understand it used a (different) borrowed one for a while because it wasn't finished.

Problem is, it's the fairly rare BR 5250 gallon rebodied type, which Hornby haven't (at least yet) produced.

The one Hornby Dublo and Wrenn paired (incorrectly 99% of the time) with their Bulleids is the right sort.

John

A sort of opinion poll.

We all know that for some reason(s) only a very small batch of Exeters have been released.

Now, this INDICATES that there is an opportunity for more models of the same spec. to be produced.  HOWEVER, if YOU were the Hornby manager concerned which would you do?   A slightly smaller than usual batch of this repeat spec carrying the name "Exeter", or a normal batch number of the spec carrying a different name ?

To me, however much I might like to "bash" the carpetbaggers, it would seem that a new name is, as they say, a "no brainer".

Thoughts ?

Hornby should do another batch of R3115 Exeter and fill all their retailer orders they left short before doing another version (which would probably end up being a Hornby exclusive).

• RMweb Premium

Personally I'd like 34103 Calstock in '60s condition.  Un-rebuilt, wide cab but with narrow 4500 gallon cut down tender, it's own wide tender having gone to one of the re-builds.

But, I'd also like a re-built 34046 Braunton too, and as per several posts above, with the correct re-bodied tender.  When first running in preservation it had a borrowed merchant navy tender, so not that one.

Both of these locos were allocated to Bournemouth shed, and so were used on the Somerset & Dorset as well as other routes, so lots of sales to S&D fans.   But then I am biased !     

• RMweb Gold

Personally I think Hornby has produced far too many streamlined WC/BB with Early Emblem and tender raves, compared to late crest with cut down 4500g tender. So I would rather the latter than an additional run of Exeter but named differently. But then perhaps they could produce both as an extended production run...?

OK,that's got me thinking.....which are they ? Single releases,i.e not part of a "set"  34092,34083,34067.......are you in fact correct in that ? One of the reasons I pre ordered 34001 is that I wanted just such.Be interesting to see what our collective memories dig up....

• RMweb Gold

OK,that's got me thinking.....which are they ? Single releases,i.e not part of a "set"  34092,34083,34067.......are you in fact correct in that ? One of the reasons I pre ordered 34001 is that I wanted just such.Be interesting to see what our collective memories dig up....

Ok with raves and Early Crest (and Brunswick Green) - R2221 34067 Tangmere, R2316 34061 73 Squadron, R2388 34083 605 Squadron, R2542 City of Wells & R3115 34001 Exeter.

In fact Exeter is the first WC with the narrower cab with an unmodified tender (in Brunswick Green) to be released so far on it's own.

• RMweb Gold

Ok with raves and Early Crest (and Brunswick Green) - R2221 34067 Tangmere, R2316 34061 73 Squadron, R2388 34083 605 Squadron, R2542 City of Wells & R3115 34001 Exeter.

In fact Exeter is the first WC with the narrower cab with an unmodified tender (in Brunswick Green) to be released so far on it's own.

Great,James,thanks for that.

Somerset and Dorset Bulleids. Bude and Biggin Hill would do very nicely. Thinking quickly and mulling over which ones who have honoured the S&D with their presence and which have been produced by China Hornby in the guise of their S&D visit - Unrebuilt are Wilton, Combe Martin (in a set), Tangmere, Blandford Forum with rebuilds of Ottery St Mary and Sir Keith Park.

Sorry if I'm a little off-topic, however I am increasingly getting the impression that the Hornby Castle 'Wellington' has gone the same way as Exeter:

- A tiny batch received at Margate in August

- Dispatched to retailers for their pre-orders (how I obtained mine with my local shop!)

- Out of stock anywhere and everywhere since

- Estimated dates for the balance of the remainder 'due into stock' were pretty much 6th November everywhere you looked, and now it's almost universally 'TBA'

A situation not dissimilar to Exeter, the only difference being that we've had no comment or murmur from Margate that anything is amiss in regard to this particular model.

Interesting?

Cheers, 

CoY

Would other Hornby-numbered narrow cab high tender models be ?

R2817 34007 Wadebridge ex-Devon Belle

R2568 34030 Watersmeet ex-Devon Belle

R1119 34039 Bocastle ex-Golden Arrow mail order

R2908 34042 Dorchester ex Fireworks at Chilcompton

isn't R2316 34061 73 Squadron narrow cab high tender like Exeter?

• RMweb Premium

Referring back to my post no 507 (Calstock and Braunton), the point is that neither of these two can be currently produced just by a re-numbering/naming exercise.  For Calstock you have to buy 2 of the correct locos (if you can find them) and do a tender swop as well as then rename/number both locos, and for Braunton you need to build a tender using a Wrenn tender top plus spraying etc and rename/number.

• RMweb Gold

Referring back to my post no 507 (Calstock and Braunton), the point is that neither of these two can be currently produced just by a re-numbering/naming exercise.  For Calstock you have to buy 2 of the correct locos (if you can find them) and do a tender swop as well as then rename/number both locos, and for Braunton you need to build a tender using a Wrenn tender top plus spraying etc and rename/number.

It does require a bit of planning, but they are both do-able - especially if you do them at the same time. Or failing that keep an eye out for 4,500 gl tenders on ebay ;)

• RMweb Gold

It does require a bit of planning, but they are both do-able - especially if you do them at the same time. Or failing that keep an eye out for 4,500 gl tenders on ebay ;)

Still trying to work out what I did with the Wren tender top I obtained about 20 years ago!!

I hope that I still do have it in the loft or in my parents loft.

• RMweb Gold

Ah yes, of course. But fit for re-numbering re-naming nevertheless. Thanks.

As I've said before in this thread, it isn't as straight forward as you think, the nameplates sit at different heights depending on whether they are on a West Country or a Battle of Britain.

BoB's Nameplates sit much higher on the casing than WC's and the plates are located by means of a pair of pegs going into corresponding holes in the loco body. Basically the holes will show if you put a set of WC Nameplates on a BoB shell.

An rough example below:

post-7000-0-52935900-1418317906.jpg

As I've said before in this thread, it isn't as straight forward as you think, the nameplates sit at different heights depending on whether they are on a West Country or a Battle of Britain.

BoB's Nameplates sit much higher on the casing than WC's and the plates are located by means of a pair of pegs going into corresponding holes in the loco body. Basically the holes will show if you put a set of WC Nameplates on a BoB shell.

An rough example below:

attachicon.gifplatehieight.jpg

Indeed. I am surprised by the number of wide-cab Tangmeres being re-named to earlier numbers/narrow-cab variants, but confess it took me a while to be able to pick the difference at a glance in BR versions, especially of poor quality side-on photos. I presume all versions of Tangmere made by Hornby are wide-cab?

I think I might photo-edit an original cab onto some of my photos of Exeter... and shift the safety valves forward, just to add to interest. Right now I am playing with various focal length lenses and ways to make Malachite green BR 34081 '92 Squadron' look good.

• RMweb Gold

Indeed. I am surprised by the number of wide-cab Tangmeres being re-named to earlier numbers/narrow-cab variants, but confess it took me a while to be able to pick the difference at a glance in BR versions, especially of poor quality side-on photos. I presume all versions of Tangmere made by Hornby are wide-cab?

I think I might photo-edit an original cab onto some of my photos of Exeter... and shift the safety valves forward, just to add to interest. Right now I am playing with various focal length lenses and ways to make Malachite green BR 34081 '92 Squadron' look good.

No the R2221 version of Tangmere is the original 8' 6" Cab width

No the R2221 version of Tangmere is the original 8' 6" Cab width

Like this? WC with high nameplate? (I have a long way to go in becoming familiar with the variations in Hornby's WCs and BoBs!) Wouldn't be a perfect donor for such versions of WC as 34001 Exeter for the nameplate position, and it looks to me like it has the sprung rear driving axle which tends to make some models ride a bit high at the cab, as well the as poor traction if I recall correctly.

So yes, it looks like 34001 Exeter is pretty much the only model from Hornby which fills the bill, if you can get one.

Another question if I may, which models have the middle electric front lamps on the insides of the deflector valances fitted? Neither R2221 below nor my recently purchased BR 34081 have them, but my 34041 BR Wilton, s21C157 Biggin Hill, and 34001 Exeter do.

post-7929-0-65537500-1418358692.jpg

Hi everyone,

I have read about the issues with Exeter and I know a lot of people are looking for this model. Today whilst visiting family I called into Crafty Hobbies in Barrow in Furness for a look around and to get scenic supplies from John and noticed he had 1 model of Exeter in stock so if anyone is looking for one at a reasonable price I would give him a call in the morning.

(Now I could have bought it and flogged on eBay but I thought to share this info in good faith. I have no connection other than a satisfied customer and hope someone finds this of use)

All the best

Mark

Firstly, many thanks to MRDBLUE17 for the tip-off posted in this forum on Monday. I rang Crafty Hobbies In Barrow-in-Furness and bought the one 'Exeter' that they had in stock at under RRP and it arrived this morning. Thank you also to the lady at Crafty Hobbies for the opportunity to purchase it (she was aware of this forum thread) and for packing it so well, it arrived in perfect condition.

Now to all those that frothed that you could not find one and complained about ebay 'carpetbaggers', I gave you all 48 hours headstart after the original forum post before I bought it, so anyone who now wants it can meet me on ebay with their best offer...

(for the avoidance of doubt, the last sentence is a joke. :jester: My Exeter is destined to remain as one of the mint, unmolested examples in a display cabinet because I am more of a collector than a 'real modeller')

Firstly, many thanks to MRDBLUE17 for the tip-off posted in this forum on Monday. I rang Crafty Hobbies In Barrow-in-Furness and bought the one 'Exeter' that they had in stock at under RRP and it arrived this morning. Thank you also to the lady at Crafty Hobbies for the opportunity to purchase it (she was aware of this forum thread) and for packing it so well, it arrived in perfect condition.

Now to all those that frothed that you could not find one and complained about ebay 'carpetbaggers', I gave you all 48 hours headstart after the original forum post before I bought it, so anyone who now wants it can meet me on ebay with their best offer...

(for the avoidance of doubt, the last sentence is a joke. :jester: My Exeter is destined to remain as one of the mint, unmolested examples in a display cabinet because I am more of a collector than a 'real modeller')

Nothing wrong with being a collector in my view. I'm sure you will derive as much enjoyment from admiring in the display cabinet as others would running it.

Unfortunately there are some who think the word 'collector' = eBay opportunist/carpetbagger or similar.

I'm very much a collector myself at this juncture, with a view to having a layout one day in the future. I can and do run my trains on a Hornby trackmat or rolling road from time to time...

Archived