Hornby EXETER

Standardtank

Sounds tempting just to buy it and rename it (got a spare set of Lyme Regis Etched Plates here) and make the Exeter's even rarer  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Talking Lyme Regis, which particular model would be best suited for a renumber and rename into a rebuilt 34009?

Martin

• RMweb Gold

Talking Lyme Regis, which particular model would be best suited for a renumber and rename into a rebuilt 34009?

Martin

Any of the Rebuilts with a 4,500gl tender - R2606 Sir Trafford Leigh Mallory, R2607 213 Squadron, R2609 Westward Ho, R2708 Padstow, R2709 Sir Frederick Pile (the one I used), R2997XS Crewkerne.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the suggestions to cure my Exeter derailing, easing the pony wheels  out a bit has done the trick. next problem is finding my back to back gauge ......

Roger

I see on the facebook link you posted that you got yourself a Clovelly. Ah, Clovelly! My favourite place in the whole of Devon. Wonderful and enchanting and I for one am so pleased that the village had a Bulleid West Country Class loco named after it. I have the Hornby model too of course, and like all the other Hornby WC/BoB/MN locos it's very nice. 

Hi everyone,

I have read about the issues with Exeter and I know a lot of people are looking for this model. Today whilst visiting family I called into Crafty Hobbies in Barrow in Furness for a look around and to get scenic supplies from John and noticed he had 1 model of Exeter in stock so if anyone is looking for one at a reasonable price I would give him a call in the morning.

(Now I could have bought it and flogged on eBay but I thought to share this info in good faith. I have no connection other than a satisfied customer and hope someone finds this of use)

All the best

Mark

Three Exeters on Ebay this morning, none with 'buy now'.

I notice super-detail Britannias in the £150+ area now, too, at least for 'buy now'. On the other hand there are some models with superb detail which don't bring good prices, B1s for example. What a strange thing. I wouldn't want to try and predict this market! I suppose large models of good detail, like Hornby Britannias and Bachmann 9Fs will always be sought-after, as will most Bulleid Pacifics (character, rarity, attractiveness), maybe it's a bit like stamps? I know I like to collect N15s and MNs., one each of most versions, but have so far avoided such as a full collection of Hornby unrebuilt Bulleids. Maybe there is a pill for the last-mentioned?

edit; the seed for the last mentioned ailment was my desire to own a Kitmaster 'Biggin Hill' in 1960 when I was 9yrs... never did save enough for that model. 18/9d here in NZ 8/11d from memory in the UK.

• RMweb Gold

Three Exeters on Ebay this morning, none with 'buy now'.

I notice super-detail Britannias in the £150+ area now, too, at least for 'buy now'. On the other hand there are some models with superb detail which don't bring good prices, B1s for example. What a strange thing. I wouldn't want to try and predict this market! I suppose large models of good detail, like Hornby Britannias and Bachmann 9Fs will always be sought-after, as will most Bulleid Pacifics (character, rarity, attractiveness), maybe it's a bit like stamps? I know I like to collect N15s and MNs., one each of most versions, but have so far avoided such as a full collection of Hornby unrebuilt Bulleids. Maybe there is a pill for the last-mentioned?

Yes,Rob,there is. See your doctor for a prescription of Spamcanol.....taken twice daily in sandwich form.

Thankyou Dr Hargrave, I have a weathered A3 German-deflector 60039 'Sandwich' on my desk right now, alongside and 'Exeter' and a weathered '92 Squadron'... decisions decisions! :) There is also an SR Olive green Maunsell N15 for which I would love to do the perfect portrait, and a 70008 Britannia 'Black Prince' en route from your fair isles to mine, the last is in an Argus set. Confession, I do rather like to collect Britannias too...

Hi everyone,

I have read about the issues with Exeter and I know a lot of people are looking for this model. Today whilst visiting family I called into Crafty Hobbies in Barrow in Furness for a look around and to get scenic supplies from John and noticed he had 1 model of Exeter in stock so if anyone is looking for one at a reasonable price I would give him a call in the morning.

(Now I could have bought it and flogged on eBay but I thought to share this info in good faith. I have no connection other than a satisfied customer and hope someone finds this of use)

All the best

Mark

Very thoughtful of you to post that, I hope somebody who wanted one but missed out saw this and snapped it up.

• RMweb Premium

Although I hate the way people are buying models just to sell off immediately at inflated prices thus ripping off people that actually want the model I do not think it is fair to criticise collectors. Collector is used as a pejorative term by many modellers yet collectors derive just as much pleasure from models as many people making layouts and support the market by increasing the customer base significantly. If the collector market disappeared then modellers would pay a price in terms of locomotive releases and prices I think as quite a significant part of the market is for people wit no layout nor plans to build a layout based on my own and anecdotal experiences. I'll happily admit that whilst I consider myself a modeller in terms of UK OO I am pretty much just a collector of US, European and Japanese brass. That does not mean I see models as an investment or as a means of buying and selling on EBay but I derive as much pleasure from my various Tenshodo, Musashino, KTM, Overland, Oriental, Fulgurex and Lemaco models in case logic units as I do OO modelling. I know there is a part of collecting that sees models as no more than future sales potential but that is not all collecting.

I have no problem with people buying models in any circumstance, profit, pleasure, collecting, it makes no difference.

If a model is rare and sought-after, it is fun to trade. Or should I throw out those old 'penny black' stamps...?

I bought two Exeters, don't strictly 'need' any, could re-name re-number any of several high tender narrow cab versions, and have put one Exeter on the local NZ auction market 'Trademe' with a possibility of making a £5 profit! If it sells at reserve that's my wicked profiteering and my good trading reputation gone for good.

Actually I enjoy browsing Ebay, and often buy things, photograph them and re-sell them locally, rarely I actually break even.

I think the bad behaviour issues arise when shops with a reputation order things in good faith and then get undersold by their supplier.

Just a word of caution - to those lucky enough to have received one of these models - and to echo an earlier post by someone that I now unfortunately can't find ....... check your coupling rod/connecting rod bolts/pins for tightness!

To date I had only run mine slowly up and down my test track and all was fine. Today, a couple of circuits into an extended running in session on my layout it came to a sudden halt with the sound of small metal parts sprinkling themselves over the track! In a Tangmere-esque manner (well, sort of) the connecting rod was resting on the side of the track with the piston shaft attached to it and the threaded pin and spacer that attach it to the centre-driving wheel through the coupling rod were rolling around nearby!

Thankfully no permanent damage was done and other than a slightly bent coupling rod on the other side due to the remaining mechanism having locked up, it all went straight back together. It has been fine since I reassembled it and I resisted the temptation to thread-lock the pin at this stage.

I'm sure at least one other person has mentioned this issue on this thread so it is clearly a systematic problem during the build of this particular batch.

A sort of opinion poll.

We all know that for some reason(s) only a very small batch of Exeters have been released.

Now, this INDICATES that there is an opportunity for more models of the same spec. to be produced.  HOWEVER, if YOU were the Hornby manager concerned which would you do?   A slightly smaller than usual batch of this repeat spec carrying the name "Exeter", or a normal batch number of the spec carrying a different name ?

To me, however much I might like to "bash" the carpetbaggers, it would seem that a new name is, as they say, a "no brainer".

Thoughts ?

• RMweb Premium

A sort of opinion poll.

We all know that for some reason(s) only a very small batch of Exeters have been released.

Now, this INDICATES that there is an opportunity for more models of the same spec. to be produced.  HOWEVER, if YOU were the Hornby manager concerned which would you do?   A slightly smaller than usual batch of this repeat spec carrying the name "Exeter", or a normal batch number of the spec carrying a different name ?

To me, however much I might like to "bash" the carpetbaggers, it would seem that a new name is, as they say, a "no brainer".

Thoughts ?

Personally I think Hornby has produced far too many streamlined WC/BB with Early Emblem and tender raves, compared to late crest with cut down 4500g tender. So I would rather the latter than an additional run of Exeter but named differently. But then perhaps they could produce both as an extended production run...?

Personally I think Hornby has produced far too many streamlined WC/BB with Early Emblem and tender raves, compared to late crest with cut down 4500g tender. So I would rather the latter than an additional run of Exeter but named differently. But then perhaps they could produce both as an extended production run...?

I can't get my head around the tender variations on the WC/BoB class no matter how hard I try....perhaps someone might care to summarise in simple terms or point to a suitable link for a numpty like me?  :blush:

I'm hoping we get 34046 Braunton 'as preserved' with the correct tender (whatever that is!) as a 2015 announcement...

A sort of opinion poll.

Thoughts ?

Do another run of Exeter would be my vote, so that those who missed out can get one. Hasn't Hornby alluded to that plan already?

• RMweb Gold

Do another run of Exeter would be my vote, so that those who missed out can get one. Hasn't Hornby alluded to that plan already?

They won't say anything definite until they know they can schedule it reliably to avoid further disappointment. That makes 2016 more likely than 2015 in my book.

Then you get into the 50th Anniversary of the end of the S&D which brings the famous double-headed closure special with 'Bude' and 'Biggin Hill' into the frame.

Why sell one Spamcan when you could shift a twin pack!

John

Archived