Hornby EXETER

Standardtank

• RMweb Gold

Damn!!

You are definitely beating me on Ottery St Marys :sungum:

Add to that:

6 R2282 Weymouths, 5 R2221 (& R2308) Tangmeres, 5 R2316 73 Squadrons, 8 R2385 Winston Churchills, 6 R2388 605 Squadrons, 5 R2458 222 Squadrons, 3 R2542 City Of Wells, 4 R2584 Plymouths, 5 R2586 Sir Keith Parks, 5 R2587 17 Squadrons, 5 R2606 Sir Trafford Leigh Mallorys,  12 R2607 213 Squadrons, 2 R2608 Yes Tors, 8 R2609 Westward Ho's, 3 R2709 Sir Fredrick Piles

Plus a few others that I can't remember what donor I used!!

• RMweb Premium

Add to that:

6 R2282 Weymouths, 5 R2221 (& R2308) Tangmeres, 5 R2316 73 Squadrons, 8 R2385 Winston Churchills, 6 R2388 605 Squadrons, 5 R2458 222 Squadrons, 3 R2542 City Of Wells, 4 R2584 Plymouths, 5 R2586 Sir Keith Parks, 5 R2587 17 Squadrons, 5 R2606 Sir Trafford Leigh Mallorys,  12 R2607 213 Squadrons, 2 R2608 Yes Tors, 8 R2609 Westward Ho's, 3 R2709 Sir Fredrick Piles

And a partridge in a pear tree?

• RMweb Gold

And a partridge in a pear tree?

No the partridge got used as a sacrificial offering, the pear tree was chopped up and burn't in order to cook the partridge... that damn cult who wear the malachite green and sunshine yellow lined robes!!  :jester:  :jester:

There is,of course another airsmoothed Hornby WC."out there". "City of Wells" 34092 with original tender and e/c.

I shall shortly be contacting Sotheby's to negotiate an auction starting price on mine !!

I've got both 34092 "City of Wells" and 34051 "Winston Churchill" mint condition with boxes et al. Perhaps I won the lottery :jester:

They are, of course, now on the layout so I suppose their value has diminished - except for me.

Patience is a virtue, I got both of them that way and will certainly find others, eventually.

• RMweb Gold

I only have 2 mint rebuilt ones and one of those will be altered this weekend. Just ordered 'Torrington' plates for it from Fox.

To do a narrow cab you need to buy a wide bodied unrebuilt such as 'Weymouth' and swap it with a rebuilt on that as the narrower tender. Then you can renumber the rebuilt to a suitable one with the larger wider

• RMweb Gold

I've got both 34092 "City of Wells" and 34051 "Winston Churchill" mint condition with boxes et al. Perhaps I won the lottery :jester:

They are, of course, now on the layout so I suppose their value has diminished - except for me.

Patience is a virtue, I got both of them that way and will certainly find others, eventually.

In the UK you would by now obviously be an ideal candidate for "mansion tax".So....not one but two Krugerrands.My next Grandson will be baptised "Exeter Winston Wells"

• RMweb Gold

I only have 2 mint rebuilt ones and one of those will be altered this weekend. Just ordered 'Torrington' plates for it from Fox.

To do a narrow cab you need to buy a wide bodied unrebuilt such as 'Weymouth' and swap it with a rebuilt on that as the narrower tender. Then you can renumber the rebuilt to a suitable one with the larger wider

You will need a 5,250gl tender for Torrington, unless you are modelling her after withdrawal ;)

• RMweb Gold

Am I right in saying that Hornby havn't yet produced a light pacific suitable for renumbering into 34103 Calstock in '60s condition.  I.e. wide cab but narrow bodied cut down 4500 gallon tender ?

No they haven't, it requires a game of musical tenders, for this you ideally need to be doing (or planning) 2 renaming's:

R2282 Weymouth (had a 5,500gl tender) donor to become Calistock (needed a 4,500gl tender)  and swapped tenders with R2607 213 Squadron (had a 4,500gl tender) donor to become Brentor (needed a 5,500gl tender)

In the UK you would by now obviously be an ideal candidate for "mansion tax".So....not one but two Krugerrands.My next Grandson will be baptised "Exeter Winston Wells"

Didn't George Osborne announce the extension of Stamp Duty to Hornby 'Exeters' yesterday?

• RMweb Gold

I thought that I saw a photo of it in service with a 4500 gal tender. Will have to have a closer look

You may have got your loco's running with re-bodied tenders mixed up, a few of them did run with other tenders.

Though it's slightly embarrassing when you do a search on Google for images of 34001 Exeter (as I just did) and frightening number of your own renamings appear in the search results!!

Sounds tempting just to buy it and rename it (got a spare set of Lyme Regis Etched Plates here) and make the Exeter's even rarer  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

It does seem rather off that high prices can be realised for 34001 Exeter when a re-number re-name exercise might well be achieved for a few pounds with appropriate parts/printed labels/transfers or whatever it takes, I'm not sure which would make the correct donor, narrow cab, 4,500 gal high side tender?

I suppose it's the collectable nature of the 'original' product, as happens with some classic cars and so on.

I wondered if Linesideandlocos' price was intended simply to mean 'bids encouraged/accepted' and buy now was meant to be silly?

The questions over future production of air-smoothed Bulleids remains unanswered, apart from the Hornby rep saying things like 'we are trying our hardest'... 

You really must up your game Ian, I have two Exeters now for sale for £1,499.00 each   FREE post  Can't say fairer than that guv'nor.

You cannot lose!

Arfur Daly.

p.s. the suggestion that I have had one out of its box for photos is a vicious rumour, utterly without foundation.

(actually it is still very hard to get my camera to render BR Brunswick green right)

You really must up your game Ian, I have two Exeters now for sale for £1,499.00 each   FREE post  Can't say fairer than that guv'nor.

You cannot lose!

Arfur Daly.

p.s. the suggestion that I have had one out of its box for photos is a vicious rumour, utterly without foundation.

(actually it is still very hard to get my camera to render BR Brunswick green right)

Bah, sorry Rob, I'm holding out until someone is selling one for 2,000 quid or more I'm not going to buy one of those cheap ones :jester:

Bah, sorry Rob, I'm holding out until someone is selling one for 2,000 quid or more I'm not going to buy one of those cheap ones :jester:

Actually Ian the Ebay prices realised for these types of models are generally rising. A few models especially SR early BR green versions are around for under £90 buy now, and bidding auctions seem to end up in the £70+ area. BR green versions with narrow cab and high 4,500 gal tender might go for a bit more.  A Winston Churchill or City of Wells (can't remember which) at Hattons was £124 a couple of days ago but was bought almost immediately, VAT -off and low postage rates would have meant outside-EU buys would have paid £110 including tracked delivery.

Clearly I have far too much time on my hands!

• RMweb Gold

You may have got your loco's running with re-bodied tenders mixed up, a few of them did run with other tenders.

Though it's slightly embarrassing when you do a search on Google for images of 34001 Exeter (as I just did) and frightening number of your own renamings appear in the search results!!

I see what you mean. I must have been looking at a different loco then!!

How did you do your tender conversion?

Ian

• RMweb Gold

The questions over future production of air-smoothed Bulleids remains unanswered, apart from the Hornby rep saying things like 'we are trying our hardest'... 

To be fair, I suspect the people at Hornby are almost as teed off by this affair as many of us are.

Even without the reputational damage, losing the sales revenue from over 3,500 locos with a retail price tag of £140 is not funny for any business.

Until they can establish where the tooling is, which factories can use it and how soon a production slot can be obtained, they would be daft to raise expectations.

John

To be fair, I suspect the people at Hornby are almost as teed off by this affair as many of us are.

Even without the reputational damage, losing the sales revenue from over 3,500 locos with a retail price tag of £140 is not funny for any business.

Until they can establish where the tooling is, which factories can use it and how soon a production slot can be obtained, they would be daft to raise expectations.

John

Hornby Board votes to send professional sleuth to Hong Kong to search for tools owned by Hornby.

"We are looking for a positive outcome going forward", a company spokesperson is quoted as saying.

I'm quite happy for people to have a go at rip-off artists and even collectors, but I do have a soft spot for any genuine "early crest" Southern modellers who missed out on an Exeter.

I model "late crest", so the whole affair doesn't affect me, but there is an element of "there, but for the Grace of God, go I"  -  I wish the proper modellers all the best.

It does seem rather off that high prices can be realised for 34001 Exeter when a re-number re-name exercise might well be achieved for a few pounds with appropriate parts/printed labels/transfers or whatever it takes, I'm not sure which would make the correct donor, narrow cab, 4,500 gal high side tender?

I suppose it's the collectable nature of the 'original' product, as happens with some classic cars and so on.

This does raise an interesting point. Many people on this forum are quick to jump on 'carpetbaggers', perhaps with some justification - certainly anyone who purchased five Exeters and is immediately trying to flog them at £495.00 each is purely exploiting a desirable item for profit. But several people have proudly announced on this forum that they also have purchased more than one of these models with the intention of renaming/renumbering/modifying their models.

Now, of course, anyone that has purchased multiple examples is obviously entitled to do whatever they like with it. But whilst no one is obliged to pay any of the high prices that the profiteers are asking (and they may have to reduce their prices if they cannot sell them) at least they are still available to anyone that really, really, really still wants one - whereas the modifiers have effectively taken some examples off the market permanently. Of the 290 examples released, there are probably even less than this now which means that anyone who would have been perfectly happy with an 'as-made' example will find it even harder to own one in the future.

Just for the record, I am neither someone who owns one, nor one of the ebayers selling one - just someone that would have quite liked one but not really fussed whether it is Exeter or something else from a possible future production run. I know it is unfashionable with some modellers on this forum to admit this, but I am more in the 'collectible, aesthetically pleasing items on static display in a cabinet' camp than a 'serious' modeller, as I have neither the time nor space for a layout at present.

Archived