Hornby EXETER

Standardtank

• RMweb Premium

I received mine from Hattons today, very nice.

I ran it in for an hour, 10 minutes each way, it consistently derailed in reverse, seemed to be the pony truck wheel came off on curves.

Has anyone else found this with the new style tender coupling ?

Thanks

Roger

• RMweb Gold

I ran it in for an hour, 10 minutes each way, it consistently derailed in reverse, seemed to be the pony truck wheel came off on curves.

Thanks

Roger

Check the wheel back to backs and how far down the wire connecting the tender to loco is hanging. Also might be worth loosening the pivot screw for the pony truck.

• RMweb Gold

Generally so, but a handful of locos retained tenders with high raves to the end of their service lives [34069/72/4/5/8] and 34080 regained one ex-34075 for her last few months in traffic.

A few locos (notably 'Lord Beaverbrook' and 'Manston') didn't get theirs done until early 1963, only around 6 months before the earliest withdrawals.

Thanks for the info on 34011/43/65 receiving late crests - it confirms what I suspected but hadn't been able to confirm from photgraphs. There are plenty published of 34043 but 34011 and 34065 seem to have been rather camera-shy.

John

The Power of the Light Pacifics has pictures of all 3 (34011/43/65) with Late Crests.

Bottom Photo on Page 37 of The Book of West Country and Battle of Britain Pacifics, shows 34043 in 1952 with the modified tender on a small early crest and different cab lining.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks

Roger

Not had a problem with this newer style coupling on the other models.

However check the back to back as I often find the pony truck and bogie wheelsets to be slightly too narrow.

Thanks

Roger

Try checking that the tender/loco connecting bar is tight at BOTH ends...............mine came loose at the loco end and wouldn't back round anything vaguely curved.

• RMweb Gold

For anyone that is interested, there are some Hornby Exeter locomotives for sale here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R3115-BR-4-6-2-Exeter-West-Country-Class-Locomotive-/311198073451?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4874d9c26b

Not a complete rip-off either so I expect you will have to be quick.

Steve

Gamesquest have quite a lot of Hornby stuff on Ebay. Many of the newly released steam locos seem to be 25%-30% above the prices on the Hornby website, although some are the same price but Hornby are free postage at that level.

Edit:- Double the percentage premiums quoted above for some items shown "more than 10 in stock" at Smithsdown Road. 

• RMweb Gold

The Power of the Light Pacifics has pictures of all 3 (34011/43/65) with Late Crests.

Thanks, unfortunately I somehow failed to notice that book when it was easily available.

The prices for s/h examples on-line are eye-watering so I'll just have to keep hoping for a reprint or one turning up somewhere unexpected!

John

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, unfortunately I somehow failed to notice that book when it was easily available.

The prices for s/h examples on-line are eye-watering so I'll just have to keep hoping for a reprint or one turning up somewhere unexpected!

John

Just looked at the second-hand prices for it on Amazon, nearly as much as the loco's cost now second hand!!!

• RMweb Gold

Remember " Black Friday " ? Now experience "Vulture Wednesday". "Lineside and Locos1" has R3115 for auction at £499+ £11 p&p.

Everyone needs to earn a crust,folks,times is 'ard'..Seriously,what is to be done with situations like this?

A couple of years ago,I purchased a weathered ex-GW "Toad" brake van from this "seller" for £11.....Gone "up" in the world,has he not ?

..........and down in terms of certain other values.

If you are ever tempted again to purchase from this individual and I know that at least one of you has,apart from me,remember this. I will.

Nothing fancy really, details still to be added in photo below.

edit; that Ebay offer above is disappointing, I have bought many several weathered models off this seller on the £80-£160 range and sometimes defended them when their work is criticised, and if their price is serious, would think it out of character, at best.

Anyway here is my 34001 and I will pursue some edited versions later, with details and steam and smoke and the alchemy of BR colours given free reign, I have bought a 1948 version malachite 34006 'Bude' now that they are still very cheap by comparison and have done some first pics with a 'British Railways' tender from the Thanet Belle pack ... looks great, and all for tuppence!

post-7929-0-30445600-1417641029_thumb.jpg

Sadly/annoyingly the miserable excuse for a human being that is selling this item appears almost GUARANTEED to be the same misery that bought 5 out of the 8 available earlier this week.

Check the "feedback score", more than a concidence that it is the SAME as that of the purchaser!

I have therefore decided to BOYCOT said seller as that person is a pathetic excuse for a human being if he intends to try selling 5 of those locos for stupid prices like that - I even more than ever now hope Hornby produce and more than that ANNOUNCE they will produce thousands more (sadly they probably won't).

Nice of a hobby seller to decide to exploit the market and benefit wildy at the expense of those that could have purchased for a "FAIR" price...

I'd add more expletives but fear I may get harsh words from a moderator - I just hope all 5 of the locos he purchased are damaged in the post to him, or on to his prey and he has to refund them...  :butcher:  :butcher:  :butcher:

• RMweb Gold

Sadly/annoyingly the miserable excuse for a human being that is selling this item appears almost GUARANTEED to be the same misery that bought 5 out of the 8 available earlier this week.

Check the "feedback score", more than a concidence that it is the SAME as that of the purchaser!

I have therefore decided to BOYCOT said seller as that person is a pathetic excuse for a human being if he intends to try selling 5 of those locos for stupid prices like that - I even more than ever now hope Hornby produce and more than that ANNOUNCE they will produce thousands more (sadly they probably won't).

Nice of a hobby seller to decide to exploit the market and benefit wildy at the expense of those that could have purchased for a "FAIR" price...

I'd add more expletives but fear I may get harsh words from a moderator - I just hope all 5 of the locos he purchased are damaged in the post to him, or on to his prey and he has to refund them...  :butcher:  :butcher:  :butcher:

Forget the moderators, this sounds like a job for the little known group who wear Malachite Green and Sunshine Yellow Lined Robes.... :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Ahh, coming out of the woodwork now, looks like all those fast purchasers have received their orders (from Hornby web ??) and off to eBay it is;

i) Auction starting at 120 quid - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R3115-Exeter-Unrebuilt-West-Country-OO-locomotive-very-rare-/201232892036?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2eda6a4084

ii) Buy it now 285 quid - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-r3115-west-country-exeter-/331404321384?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4d293ca268

Question - do I buy the 285 quid one and offer it to Mr. Sleaze for 300 quid so I make a profit and he can sell another for 450?? :jester:  :jester: or will he beat us to it and buy that one too :O

Also sadly obvious is the fact that these were all purchased with the sole purpose of profiteering, not even the slightest "surplus to requirements" or "changed era" notes in any one of them (of course).

Continues to prove that preying speculators exist even in what one would tend to consider a benign hobby, I despair of humanity sometimes.

• RMweb Gold

Ahh, coming out of the woodwork now, looks like all those fast purchasers have received their orders (from Hornby web ??) and off to eBay it is;

i) Auction starting at 120 quid - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R3115-Exeter-Unrebuilt-West-Country-OO-locomotive-very-rare-/201232892036?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2eda6a4084

ii) Buy it now 285 quid - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-r3115-west-country-exeter-/331404321384?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4d293ca268

Question - do I buy the 285 quid one and offer it to Mr. Sleaze for 300 quid so I make a profit and he can sell another for 450?? :jester:  :jester: or will he beat us to it and buy that one too :O

Also sadly obvious is the fact that these were all purchased with the sole purpose of profiteering, not even the slightest "surplus to requirements" or "changed era" notes in any one of them (of course).

Continues to prove that preying speculators exist even in what one would tend to consider a benign hobby, I despair of humanity sometimes.

It takes two to Tango. Just don't fall for it.

If there wasn't an element in our hobby with a 'must have' attitude coupled to having more money than sense, these guys wouldn't be doing it.

I'd really like to see the eventual buyers' faces if/when Hornby announce they have arranged for production to resume at another factory. 

Mind you, some collectors are so obsessive, they'll want one of these just for the SK code on the box!  

John

Forget the moderators, this sounds like a job for the little known group who wear Malachite Green and Sunshine Yellow Lined Robes.... :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

You can have one in those august and revered colours for less than £400...

https://www.facebook.com/brsteamphotos/photos/a.378493222316349.1073741838.203786143120392/392670380898633/?type=1&theatre

my second 34001 arrived here safely today. Should I invest in more double door locks?  It's a very nice model.

Hi all, 

A heads up for anyone from AUS, NZ or USA, just managed to place an order for one from AJM Railways.

Good price at $245 AUD. with free postage. This seller is UK based in Norwood but sells to the aforementioned countries.

No connection other than as a customer.

They seem to have a good range of some hard to come by Hornby items eg. Bittern, P2's and DOG's with and without TTS.

Sorry UK people I haven't checked if they sell in UK or have a storefront, may be worth asking the question tho.

Regards G

• RMweb Gold

I'm thinking I should just buy the 450 quid one so I can boast I have the most expensive Exeter there is ;) - <just kidding> :jester:

Sounds tempting just to buy it and rename it (got a spare set of Lyme Regis Etched Plates here) and make the Exeter's even rarer  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Sounds tempting just to buy it and rename it (got a spare set of Lyme Regis Etched Plates here) and make the Exeter's even rarer  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Funny you should say that ... guess why there are now very few WIltons about!!!

Lost count on how many I have renumbered / renamed.

• RMweb Premium

all for tuppence!

Lucky girl. But surely it's more up Tommy's street? (sorry - you need to read Agatha Christie)

I'm pleased with mine too, which I will be keeping and using as it is. I'd hate to reduce the Exeter pool by renumbering it, so encouraging even higher prices on Ebay!

Archived