Hornby EXETER

Standardtank

• RMweb Gold

Be very careful, it may not have been tender 3296, as there were a number of temporary tender swaps which went unrecorded - they have a habit of cropping up in photos!!

I agree that one cannot be 100% certain simply because, as you say there are some gaps in the records. However, as the views are dated two years apart, I'm willing to accept a strong probability that at least one of them shows the tender 'officially' paired with 34109 and therefore tends to support the idea that it had not received late crest before being parted from 'Exeter'.

From photographic evidence it seems that the application of the later insignia generally coincided with tenders being cut down except in the case of a few high-sided tenders that escaped modification altogether (e.g. those attached to 'Hawkinge' and '222 Squadron') or had it done especially late (e.g 'Lord Beaverbrook' and 'Manston').

Thanks for the tip about 'Anti-Aircraft Command', I am guessing that  a '73 Squadron' would be a better starting point for that one?

John  

• RMweb Gold

This is profiteering at it's worst, I personally hope that Hornby now swamp the market with this model (some hope) and the seller is stuck with it !!!!

Yes, it would be nice to "send the boys round for a friendly chat", but our hobby attracts scummy folk like every other walk of life, sadly. I don't see this shifting at this price overnight.

For anyone that is interested, there are some Hornby Exeter locomotives for sale here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R3115-BR-4-6-2-Exeter-West-Country-Class-Locomotive-/311198073451?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4874d9c26b

Not a complete rip-off either so I expect you will have to be quick.

Steve

By the looks of it they were all gone in half an hour and one buyer bought five....to renumber or re-sell? 

By the looks of it they were all gone in half an hour and one buyer bought five....to renumber or re-sell? 

So how does/did a "full time games and books" business located in a business park manage to get any Hornby stuff - I thought you had to have a store-front retail business, maybe I'm wrong, just asking??? If they'd been selling them at inflated prices I could see they maybe were lucky finding them and cashing in, but they just seem to "have them" and sold them at about retail list! Quite odd.

I'd certainly expect the buyer who took 5 of them will be re-selling, if his transaction count is anything to go by, definately NOT a casual "enthusiast" IMHO...

maybe related to the greedy b*u*gg*er who thinks he can con everyone by saying he changed eras?!?!?! :jester:  

Sure, try and make a few quid if you wish, but over 300 quid for the loco is insane, what a sorry soul, almost makes you wish his kids get coal for Christmas (if he has any) if he's that much of a Scrooge...

The LSWR colours M7 proves Hornby can re-activate old Sanda Kan tools rapidly and turn out a very high quality build and finished model with them.

This loco paint scheme is as least as good as Bachmann's C class.

One should not fear poor quality with a new batch of Exeters. Far from it I think. Keep it up Hornby.

• RMweb Gold

I agree that one cannot be 100% certain simply because, as you say there are some gaps in the records. However, as the views are dated two years apart, I'm willing to accept a strong probability that at least one of them shows the tender 'officially' paired with 34109 and therefore tends to support the idea that it had not received late crest before being parted from 'Exeter'.

From photographic evidence it seems that the application of the later insignia generally coincided with tenders being cut down except in the case of a few high-sided tenders that escaped modification altogether (e.g. those attached to 'Hawkinge' and '222 Squadron') or had it done especially late (e.g 'Lord Beaverbrook' and 'Manston').

Thanks for the tip about 'Anti-Aircraft Command', I am guessing that  a '73 Squadron' would be a better starting point for that one?

John  

Right after consulting, my spreadsheet on them, there are a few to choose from and donors I used:

34002 Salisbury - Mar 62 - R2218 (with tender swap and cab lining altered)

34007 Wadebridge - Dec 62  - R2218 (with tender swap & cab lining altered)

34054 Lord Beaverbrook - Mar 63 - R2316

34061 73 Squadron - Nov 62 - R2316

34064 Fighter Command - Apr 62 - R2221

34069 Hawkinge - Not Modified - R2316

34070 Manston - Jan 63 - R2221

34072 257 Squadron - Not Modified (4,500gl) - R2388 (tender swapped)

34074 46 Squadron - Not Modified (4,500gl) - R2388 (tender swapped)

34078 222 Squadron - Not Modified - R2458

34080 74 Squadron - Jun 59, then a non Modified tender Apr 64 - R2458 (Cab lining altered & tender swapped) I did the later mismatched one ;)

34094 Morthoe - Jan 62 (4,500gal) - R2282 (tender swapped, for earlier unmodified tender use City of Wells (R2542))

Can't be sure of crests used without looking through all the photo's

The LSWR colours M7 proves Hornby can re-activate old Sanda Kan tools rapidly and turn out a very high quality build and finished model with them.

This loco paint scheme is as least as good as Bachmann's C class.

One should not fear poor quality with a new batch of Exeters. Far from it I think. Keep it up Hornby.

I am very pleased with my new 34001 Exeter which is labelled 'SK' and has different lining colour; black between orange rather than narrower black between red. The pics below show a 2006 SK wide-cab 34078 '222 Squadron' in identical light to 34001. The light is from a window, slightly different angle on Exeter, and the two lower photos show the different lining. The overall effect is nearly the same to my eyes but I am sure depends on lighting angles and I could do a more scientific test by using studio lighting in identical positions.

Very nice models both.

post-7929-0-80479900-1417467889_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-12771400-1417467963_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-48762500-1417468045_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

So how does/did a "full time games and books" business located in a business park manage to get any Hornby stuff - I thought you had to have a store-front retail business, maybe I'm wrong, just asking??? If they'd been selling them at inflated prices I could see they maybe were lucky finding them and cashing in, but they just seem to "have them" and sold them at about retail list! Quite odd.

You do in order to buy from Hornby and they do (or used to) follow up retailer's complaints about people selling who didn't have proper retail premises.  But I understand that the wholesaler (A.B Gee) is not so fussy and will supply anyone who opens an account and pays for the goods although no doubt they favour those giving them a certain level of business.  This particular one sounds likely to have bought via that route.

• RMweb Gold

Right after consulting, my spreadsheet on them, there are a few to choose from and donors I used:

34002 Salisbury - Mar 62 - R2218 (with tender swap and cab lining altered)

34007 Wadebridge - Dec 62  - R2218 (with tender swap & cab lining altered)

34054 Lord Beaverbrook - Mar 63 - R2316

34061 73 Squadron - Nov 62 - R2316

34064 Fighter Command - Apr 62 - R2221

34069 Hawkinge - Not Modified - R2316

34070 Manston - Jan 63 - R2221

34072 257 Squadron - Not Modified (4,500gl) - R2388 (tender swapped)

34074 46 Squadron - Not Modified (4,500gl) - R2388 (tender swapped)

34078 222 Squadron - Not Modified - R2458

34080 74 Squadron - Jun 59, then a non Modified tender Apr 64 - R2458 (Cab lining altered & tender swapped) I did the later mismatched one ;)

34094 Morthoe - Jan 62 (4,500gal) - R2282 (tender swapped, for earlier unmodified tender use City of Wells (R2542))

Can't be sure of crests used without looking through all the photo's

I already have Wadebridge, 73 Squadron, 222 Squadron and Manston (standard models) plus Hawkinge which I produced from a R2221 Tangmere (tender crest changed).

My own Tangmere is the Excalibur Express train pack version (cut down tender) but a pal has done one as running nowadays, complete with wide cab, air pump and heavily modified MN tender - I think his started life as a R2388 '605 Squadron').

One of my three Wiltons is well on the way to becoming 34020 'Seaton', one will stay as 'Wilton' and I'm leaning towards 34038 'Lynton' for the third.

The slightly riskier one will be 34099 'Lynmouth' based on another '605 Squadron'. The nameplates and badges on the donor are already wobbly and, if the bit of filling and retouching required fails to disappear under a bit of modest weathering, she'll get a full respray!   

John

• RMweb Gold

Yes, it would be nice to "send the boys round for a friendly chat", but our hobby attracts scummy folk like every other walk of life, sadly. I don't see this shifting at this price overnight.

An idle thought......just how does our "sunshine" know that this particular item is potential hot property ? The guy obviously knows it's a rarity .We on this forum have aired the subject with much indignation over the last ten days or so.How would anyone outside this charmed circle be attracted by the shortfall in supply of a Hornby model train? Strange...

A couple more of 34001 before adding brake rods and details... thumb or finger marks on lower photo wiped off somewhat, but I don't think they were mine. Exeter nameplate on far side is/was about 5 degrees out of horizontal but has been carefully detached and re-set.

post-7929-0-47500400-1417476892_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-05041400-1417477111_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

An idle thought......just how does our "sunshine" know that this particular item is potential hot property ? The guy obviously knows it's a rarity .We on this forum have aired the subject with much indignation over the last ten days or so.How would anyone outside this charmed circle be attracted by the shortfall in supply of a Hornby model train? Strange...

Other Forums are available and I dare say he'd have heard all about it if he'd walked into any Hornby stockist in the land! :jester:

John

Funny, the 250 quid one (first one listed) has "ended" with no apparent reason... doesn't say sold!

Funny, the 250 quid one (first one listed) has "ended" with no apparent reason... doesn't say sold!

Probably saw that other where asking more for it than he was, or he decided to hang onto it to sell at a later date and then get even more for it.

Guest Belgian

All the excitement over R3115 seems to have stimulated much interest in airsmoothed WC/BB and inflated asking prices accordingly ..which were in any case high anyway.From my own recollection and crude monochrome prints of the mid 50's,1956/7 are the dates when the tender raves were cut down.Having said that,my Ian Allan ABC,then current to March 1955 has photos of 34013 with original cab and tender e/c below which is another of 34065 with v-fronted cab and cut down tender,also e/c.

My memories are of a spotting trip to Salisbury in August 1956 which saw the daily Brighton -Plymouth train exchange 34039 ( 75A ) for 34012 ( 72A ) both in as built condition.

Three tenders were cut down in 1952 and remained fitted to 34011/43/65 through the 1950s. These were the only cut-down tenders to sport early emblems and were repainted with late crests during 1957 when their locos received general overhauls. No other tenders fitted to Air-Smoothed Light Pacifics were cut down until 22/3/58 when 34066 (Spitfire) had its tender cut down when it was repaired following the Lewisham crash. 7 more were done during 1958 then the rest took place between 1959 and 1962.

JE

• RMweb Gold

Three tenders were cut down in 1952 and remained fitted to 34011/43/65 through the 1950s. These were the only cut-down tenders to sport early emblems and were repainted with late crests during 1957 when their locos received general overhauls. No other tenders fitted to Air-Smoothed Light Pacifics were cut down until 22/3/58 when 34066 (Spitfire) had its tender cut down when it was repaired following the Lewisham crash. 7 more were done during 1958 then the rest took place between 1959 and 1962.

JE

Word to the wise the first 3 that ran with cut down tenders, initially had different cab lining, compared to the later ones.

• RMweb Gold

JE

Generally so, but a handful of locos retained tenders with high raves to the end of their service lives [34069/72/4/5/8] and 34080 regained one ex-34075 for her last few months in traffic.

A few locos (notably 'Lord Beaverbrook' and 'Manston') didn't get theirs done until early 1963, only around 6 months before the earliest withdrawals.

Thanks for the info on 34011/43/65 receiving late crests - it confirms what I suspected but hadn't been able to confirm from photgraphs. There are plenty published of 34043 but 34011 and 34065 seem to have been rather camera-shy.

John

Archived