Hornby EXETER

Standardtank

What an amazing world Hornby PLC live in ! If it does turn up, maybe it's another version of Exeter with late crest, re-number, re-name and very little else would need to be changed. (just joking)

We'll have to see...the latest issue of the HCC magazine would have been printed some months ago...I'm actually looking forward to when the club goes digital next year. I seem to spend half my life sorting out post, junk mail and other bits of paper that come through the door every day! The less paper the better so looking forward to that.

I also look forward to receiving my Exeters. I hope I won't be flamed on here for buying two....they will not be for sale!

We'll have to see...the latest issue of the HCC magazine would have been printed some months ago...I'm actually looking forward to when the club goes digital next year. I seem to spend half my life sorting out post, junk mail and other bits of paper that come through the door every day! The less paper the better so looking forward to that.

I also look forward to receiving my Exeters. I hope I won't be flamed on here for buying two....they will not be for sale!

Don't worry about buying two. That's what I succeeded in doing too. From far-off NZ... One from Hornby.com which with VAT off was about £112 + extortionate post £25, and I was the lucky person who saw the Ebay 'buy now' £99 during the late morning here, and bought it with, oh, about 0.3 seconds of careful thought...

Yesterday I bought a 34006 'Bude' from a local retailer who has had it reduced for about FOUR YEARS and I thought to pair it with a tender from one of the malachite models I have for photos. So it's all go in this part of the world (neither 34001 has arrived yet).

Renamed/renumbered rebuilt WC 34016 Bodmin £181.89 sold on Ebay just now, and renamed renumbered weathered 34002 'Salisbury' sold £156.02, from R2218 'Wilton'. Interesting because Gostude have a rather mint-looking used Wilton 'buy now' at £124.

Love the fact that searching on Gleebay for Hornby Exeter brings up R3115 next to that other infamous Hornby "Limited Edition" of Exeter,

......the malachite one limited to four thousand which I don't think Hornby ever did find enough buyers for!

That's a Limited Edition? Now if only they did all their runs in 4000 units......

See my post # 374, with what one retailer I spoke to told me today!

Love the fact that searching on Gleebay for Hornby Exeter brings up R3115 next to that other infamous Hornby "Limited Edition" of Exeter,

......the malachite one limited to four thousand which I don't think Hornby ever did find enough buyers for!

That's a Limited Edition? Now if only they did all their runs in 4000 units......

Hmmm, with 360 R3115 Exeters produced, and a fair few getting the renaming/renumbering treatment by the sounds of it, I'm thinking of getting some Limited Edition certificates printed..... 

• RMweb Gold

What an amazing world Hornby PLC live in ! If it does turn up, maybe it's another version of Exeter with late crest, re-number, re-name and very little else would need to be changed. (just joking)

'Exeter' was an early rebuild (in 1957) and received a modified 5500g tender No. 3369 in a swap with 34109 'Sir Trafford Leigh Mallory' as part of the deal. All bar a handful of the bigger tenders eventually ended up attached to rebuilt locos. 

4500g tender No.3296 (attached to 34001 from Feb 1948 until rebuilding) wasn't cut down until 34109 itself got rebuilt in 1961.

I have never seen any evidence that tender 3296 received the later insignia whilst paired with 'Exeter'. The clincher would be a photo of it coupled to 34109 and still carrying the early style. However, all the pictures I have been able to turn up this evening are too early.

John

Edit: Found two:

More Southern Steam in the West Country, Fairclough and Wills (Bradford Barton), Page 93 (20 August 1958) Plymouth Friary

The Southern West of Salisbury, Gough (OPC). Plate 43 (8 August 1960) Seaton Junction

• RMweb Gold

Renamed/renumbered rebuilt WC 34016 Bodmin £181.89 sold on Ebay just now, and renamed renumbered weathered 34002 'Salisbury' sold £156.02, from R2218 'Wilton'. Interesting because Gostude have a rather mint-looking used Wilton 'buy now' at £124.

I bought a totally mint Wilton (with undisturbed tissue) for £95 not very long ago. Rather more than I paid for my first one new!

Funnily enough, I was also planning to turn it into 'Salisbury' but the latter's tender was cut down a little too late for my purposes so I'm now leaning towards 34038 'Lynton', 34043 'Combe Martin' or 34049 'Anti Aircraft Command'.

Can anybody enlighten me as to when 34043 received late crest and BR pattern ladders as I quite fancy doing one in the rare early style as carried by 34011/43/65 from 1952.

I'm guessing (hoping) Autumn 1960 when it received the Briquette water treatment fittings but she did have a 'General' in the Summer of '57.

John

• RMweb Gold

I went into my local model shop a couple of months ago and found the guy had a brand-new 34067 Tangmere on his shelves. He wanted £100 for it which I thought was not a bad deal, especially today as my order for Exeter was not forthcoming.  OK so it didn't have NEM coupling pocket on the tender, and it was not DCC ready, but hard-wiring a Lenz Standard+ was no problem at all in this loco as there's so much free space inside.  It's one of my best performing locos.

An ex-set 34007 'Wadebridge' with a different non-original tender, cut-down late crest, just sold for £205 on Ebay. Marks on body, no box, no accessories....

I'm feeling rather pleased, as have checked and still have a fully detailed weathered 34007 as well as a weathered 21C155 'Fighter Pilot' with all the details , (sometimes I sell models, and for a while there I thought I might have done that, then forgotten), BUT best of all, my 34001 arrived from Hornby today, about 6 working days since despatch, about 12 days since purchase, and it looks absolutely great.

Somehow I think I will be enjoying making photos over the next weeks!

Guest Belgian

I bought a totally mint Wilton (with undisturbed tissue) for £95 not very long ago. Rather more than I paid for my first one new!

Funnily enough, I was also planning to turn it into 'Salisbury' but the latter's tender was cut down a little too late for my purposes so I'm now leaning towards 34038 'Lynton', 34043 'Combe Martin' or 34049 'Anti Aircraft Command'.

Can anybody enlighten me as to when 34043 received late crest and BR pattern ladders as I quite fancy doing one in the rare early style as carried by 34011/43/65 from 1952.

I'm guessing (hoping) Autumn 1960 when it received the Briquette water treatment fittings but she did have a 'General' in the Summer of '57.

John

Photos of 34043 on the Somerset & Dorset during 1957 and 1958 are noticeable by their absence in Ivo Peters' books, but he has a shot of the engine on 27th June 1959 looking very woe-begone (i.e., filthy) with a late crest. She had only had a Light Intermediate in March 1959 at which it was extremely unusual to repaint an engine. Since Eastleigh put late crests on 34005, the first Light Pacific rebuild, which was released from works some 12 days before 34043 was released from its last General on 11th July 1957 it seems highly likely that 34043 also got late crests then. (Incidentally, it seems that 34043 just avoided getting rebuilt as it was the next engine into Works after 34005. They probably wanted to test the first rebuild before committing to another).

JE

• RMweb Gold

John

A photo of Combe Martin in The Somerset and Dorset 1936-1966, Arlett and Lockett has her with a late crest in June 1961.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Re the various posts above about 34043 Combe Martin, and converting a 34041 Wilton into one, Wilton comes with the AWS battery box on the buffer beam but 1960 S&D photos show Combe Martin with it (though it had it by 1961), so if your going for Combe Martin in mid to late '50s condition you need to remove it.  Also Combe Martin was one of those WCs with the scrolls mounted higher up the sides than at the base which is where they are on Wilton.

My Combe Martin came from Hornby's Pines Express set and it was modelled without the AWS box, so as I model the S&D in 1961 I did the reverse and added one and the surround.  I also removed the low scrolls and added higher ones as Hornby had printed them in the wrong position.      

• RMweb Gold

All the excitement over R3115 seems to have stimulated much interest in airsmoothed WC/BB and inflated asking prices accordingly ..which were in any case high anyway.From my own recollection and crude monochrome prints of the mid 50's,1956/7 are the dates when the tender raves were cut down.Having said that,my Ian Allan ABC,then current to March 1955 has photos of 34013 with original cab and tender e/c below which is another of 34065 with v-fronted cab and cut down tender,also e/c.

My memories are of a spotting trip to Salisbury in August 1956 which saw the daily Brighton -Plymouth train exchange 34039 ( 75A ) for 34012 ( 72A ) both in as built condition.

• RMweb Gold

'Exeter' was an early rebuild (in 1957) and received a modified 5500g tender No. 3369 in a swap with 34109 'Sir Trafford Leigh Mallory' as part of the deal. All bar a handful of the bigger tenders eventually ended up attached to rebuilt locos. 

4500g tender No.3296 (attached to 34001 from Feb 1948 until rebuilding) wasn't cut down until 34109 itself got rebuilt in 1961.

I have never seen any evidence that tender 3296 received the later insignia whilst paired with 'Exeter'. The clincher would be a photo of it coupled to 34109 and still carrying the early style. However, all the pictures I have been able to turn up this evening are too early.

John

Edit: Found two:

More Southern Steam in the West Country, Fairclough and Wills (Bradford Barton), Page 93 (20 August 1958) Plymouth Friary

The Southern West of Salisbury, Gough (OPC). Plate 43 (8 August 1960) Seaton Junction

Be very careful, it may not have been tender 3296, as there were a number of temporary tender swaps which went unrecorded - they have a habit of cropping up in photos!!

• RMweb Premium

Where does the figure 4000 come from ? The normal production run is 1000.

1000 is (or has been) the lowest number Hornby will do for a limited edition (the equivalent of Bachmann's 500). Normal production runs are somewhat larger; 4000 sounds reasonable by probably differs from model to model. Exeter was never as far as I know advertised as "limited".

Mine has arrived and very nice it looks as others have said. Yes the lining is wider than before but I can live with it. However... I am still investigating whether I can swop the body and tender for an earlier version with late crest and cut down 4500g tender.

• RMweb Gold

John

Don't try turning Wilton into Anti-Aircraft Command... it will end up in tears - the nameplates sit at a different height on the WC's to the BoB's.

Wilton's are notorious awkward to remove the numbers/lining without taking the body colour paint off! Also the Nameplates can be extremely well glued on, I've renamed enough Wilton's over the last 5 years to know this. That being said removing the AWS battery box on them is usually very straight forward.

• RMweb Premium

Hornby's Combe Martin has the nameplates mounted slightly too low compared to the real thing, and I did consider trying to move them, but judging by toboldlygo's post no 398 above, I'm glad I didn't try !   Also, I think the cabside number is a bit too high as well.

Archived