Hornby EXETER

Standardtank

I'm not going to bid for it myself, even though I want one. Already linked to in post 248 btw. Good luck to the eBayer retailer/seller, but I for one will not be drawn into paying over the odds for one. I think Olivia's Trains are asking too much money for it was well. If they want to shift them, lower the price to at least the RRP not £180!

Certainly re-naming and re-numbering is a viable choice, toboldlygo has I think mastered this art.

I was planning to do that with at least of 2 mine that I had pre-ordered....but I won't be getting any, unless I get into a Dutch auction on eBay or pay the price Olivia's Trains are asking...

Certainly re-naming and re-numbering is a viable choice, toboldlygo has I think mastered this art.

And it was toboldlygo's advice that led me to pre-order more to turn two of them into Bideford and Braunton. Keep one as Exeter and rename/renumber the remaining to something else. Quite liked Watersmeet as finding the Hornby model of that is not easy (think also it was only part of a train pack). Alas, that plan of mine has gone awry for now....unless we do see more of the air-smoothed WC locos from Hornby in the future...

Guest Belgian

I wonder where that leaves the 2014 club model "Manston" 34070, currently scheduled for Feb delivery?

That's weird, 'coz they did 'Manston' many moons ago and I think it was a Club Special then. Perhaps they over-ordered them then and these are the over-run . . ?

JE

Edited to include a link, which also confirms southernelectric's next posting - the first release (12 years ago now!) had the cut-down tender whilst this new one apparently has raves.

All the same, it's odd they should do the same loco again, albeit in a different form, when they've got a choice of 110 prototypes! (I know they did 'Tangmere' in two forms, with cut-down and rave tenders like this one will be).

And it was toboldlygo's advice that led me to pre-order more to turn two of them into Bideford and Braunton. Keep one as Exeter and rename/renumber the remaining to something else. Quite liked Watersmeet as finding the Hornby model of that is not easy (think also it was only part of a train pack). Alas, that plan of mine has gone awry for now....unless we do see more of the air-smoothed WC locos from Hornby in the future...

Ebay used to have quite a few offerings of as-new unrebuilt Bulleids for under £90... notably BR 34041 'Wilton' was hard-to-sell, but with tender variation, early/late emblems, wide/narrow cabs it was a bit of a minefield to find the right donor. Lots of fun though.

Gostude are asking £124 for a 34041 with crew and good box and unopened accessory packs, I suppose that's some kind of guide. Some 'Bude's available too from other sellers. I detect a general significant increase in s/h prices for the better Hornby models, £150+ is common now. (Britannias) Mind you, those high prices are by no means certain for a seller.

I might be wrong but I would list these models expected prices/top bids to be;

Unrebuilt WC/BoB £100

Rebuilt WC/BoB £120

MN £95

King £60

Duchess £65

Britannia £125

rarer version above this, poor or unknown condition, poor photos, unknown seller lower price more risk.

Guest Belgian

Ebay used to have quite a few offerings of as-new unrebuilt Bulleids for under £90... notably BR 34041 'Wilton' was hard-to-sell, but with tender variation, early/late emblems, wide/narrow cabs it was a bit of a minefield to find the right donor. Lots of fun though.

Gostude are asking £124 for a 34041 with crew and good box and unopened accessory packs, I suppose that's some kind of guide. Some 'Bude's available too from other sellers. I detect a general significant increase in s/h prices for the better Hornby models, £150+ is common now. (Britannias) Mind you, those high prices are by no means certain for a seller.

I might be wrong but I would list these models expected prices/top bids to be;

Unrebuilt WC/BoB £100

Rebuilt WC/BoB £120

MN £95

King £60

Duchess £65

Britannia £125

rarer version above this, poor or unknown condition, poor photos, unknown seller lower price more risk.

and Gostude should be even lower, but won't be!  :nono:

and Gostude should be even lower, but won't be!  :nono:

What's the deal with Gostude here on RMweb? Seen a few what appear to be swipes in his direction...just curious...

I have managed to locate a few long discontinued WC Class locos - unrebuilt Torrington, Bude, Clovelly and rebuilt Westward Ho, Padstow. None from Gostude though.

Hoping I'm going to add Okehampton to that list of rebuilt WC locos - I have a couple on pre-order. One will become Barnstaple. If they show up... 

Just pick up a new unopened box Britannia Flying Dutchman from my local model for £118.00. Is this a good price. When looking on e bay Britannia's seem to be going for a lot more.

Cheers

This was a 2004 model with good but not excellent detail, Ramsay's puts £95 on them but that is before recent price increases. Lovely model regardless.

• RMweb Gold

Unlikely,In the present uncertain circumstances,I would imagine.Hornby would appear to have a daily growing log jam of new models in gestation with more in preparation on Fantasy Island.,so rumour & speculation would have it.Plus they are combatants in duplication wars (though who actually fired the first shot is a matter that would exercise the keenest minds of GCHQ) No,they have too much going on.

I've been tempted by buy from Gostude, but can't ascertain whether the stock is actually new, or as new (not that it necessarily matters). Can anyone shed any light on where he sources from: Auctions, closed model shops...?

I have bought a couple of models from them and they are quick fast and professional and many would be from auction lots from closed businesses, or private collections, sometimes perhaps stock which may have been opened and test run, or still with factory packing intact. The ads usually leave the engine in the packing if absolutely untouched, otherwise the excellent photos make the purchase stress-free in terms of reliability, even better than 'new' in some cases because the photos are so good and you really can see any flaws.

Unlikely,In the present uncertain circumstances,I would imagine.Hornby would appear to have a daily growing log jam of new models in gestation with more in preparation on Fantasy Island.,so rumour & speculation would have it.Plus they are combatants in duplication wars (though who actually fired the first shot is a matter that would exercise the keenest minds of GCHQ) No,they have too much going on.

I wonder how DJM would feel if Hornby decided to concentrate on toys/diecast/scalextrix and leave quality 00 RTR behind ? Mind you the early 2015 railway models in production now suggest quality and detail are still big for Hornby.

I'm with the school-of-thought that the arrangements with Kader were very unpleasant for Hornby, with 'accidents', lost shipments, unexplained delays, and any number of underhand or corrupt things happening. No proof of course.

I just got my replacement weathered A3 60103 'Flying Scotsman' today, looks perfect, REF note... not the Kader/Bachmann owned Sanda Kan... I'm sure Kader were not exactly weeping with despair with Hornby's delivery troubles.

What's the deal with Gostude here on RMweb? Seen a few what appear to be swipes in his direction...just curious...

I have managed to locate a few long discontinued WC Class locos - unrebuilt Torrington, Bude, Clovelly and rebuilt Westward Ho, Padstow. None from Gostude though.

Hoping I'm going to add Okehampton to that list of rebuilt WC locos - I have a couple on pre-order. One will become Barnstaple. If they show up... 

Quick question - who's taking pre-orders for Okehampton? I havne't found one yet, though not looked very hard. Hattons and Hornby aren't unless they have removed that option since you pre-ordered?? I'd have pre-ordered from Hattons same time I placed my Exter pre-order if I'd had the option.

Far as Gostude goes, if you watch the Ebay Madness thread you'll see them oft mentioned there. I've seen some things I'd be tempted to buy from them and may well do when it strikes me, but they also have a slew of items are rather let's say "ambitious" prices some even verging on the idiotic (then again no-one is forced to buy from them at those prices), which draw the ire of some folks...

Gostude are the butt of jokes by commentators and bargain hunters on 'Ebay Madness', who take pride in dissing anyone who makes any money, (unless it's their mate). Some have no idea about the work involved in selling.

For myself, I wouldn't bother to pre-order from a retailer any more, unless the price was excellent. I have pre-ordered an early 'British Railways' D16 from Hornby though, their prices are quite good and delivery will likely be more certain with them ... (see what a faithless animal I am !) Otherwise I buy at best price/reliable seller after google searches. It's called 'empowering the customer'.

• RMweb Premium

Quick question - who's taking pre-orders for Okehampton? I havne't found one yet, though not looked very hard. Hattons and Hornby aren't unless they have removed that option since you pre-ordered?? I'd have pre-ordered from Hattons same time I placed my Exter pre-order if I'd had the option.

Ian,

Hattons certainly were taking pre-orders for Okehampton, at least initially after announcement (I got mine in on 23rd December 2012).  But as you say they have removed the option at some point (as they did with Exeter)...  Whether this happens when a certain number is reached I don't know...

Either way, I hope there's a better match between demand and supply! 

Guest Belgian

I believe it goes back some time when Gostude apparently bought up large stocks of items in short supply and then charged outrageous sums for them on ebay. Or, rather, put them up for sale with very high starting prices. I followed a few but never saw any sales actually completed. I came to the conclusion that he was trying to manipulate the market but not terribly successfully.

I now see that Robbie is a happy customer of his so he may have changed his ways, so perhaps I should withdraw my comment, which I'd only put up for cheap laughs (hangs his head in shame).

JE

Kernow were still taking pre-orders for them last time I looked...

• RMweb Premium

One of my pet hates with EBay is the abuse of the word "new". To me new means that the model has been sold by a distributor to a retailer but not to the final end user/customer. I am willing to accept items never unpacked by a retail buyer and then sold as new for the sake of not being wilfully awkward on this but when items which are clearly second hand and which are damaged, played with or which are 20 years old are advertised as new it infuriates me.

One of my pet hates with EBay is the abuse of the word "new". To me new means that the model has been sold by a distributor to a retailer but not to the final end user/customer. I am willing to accept items never unpacked by a retail buyer and then sold as new for the sake of not being wilfully awkward on this but when items which are clearly second hand and which are damaged, played with or which are 20 years old are advertised as new it infuriates me.

I entirely agree. I will accept all sorts of issues with sellers, from delays to overpriced postage, but New means New - and if it isn't I have no problem issuing bad feedback, returning items immediately and telling others of my experience.

Oh! And do they rant when they are found out......

• RMweb Gold

I've been tempted by buy from Gostude, but can't ascertain whether the stock is actually new, or as new (not that it necessarily matters). Can anyone shed any light on where he sources from: Auctions, closed model shops...?

He definitely buys at auction as I've seen items sold at auction appear on his site within a few days - in some cases comparatively rare items hence easily identifiable but i don't know if he buys elsewhere as well.

Quite a lot of Bulleid pacifics have come up in auction in the past, often in good condition boxes with complete original packing etc which means they could well have never been run or even opened to the extent of taking out the contents and the rarer ones can go up above the equivalent of £100 sometimes.  But there don't seem to be so many passing through the auction house I frequent so prices might have inched up a bit if the Ebay sellers are still after stock.

It is of course easy to outbid people who are buying to resell but you then get whatever else is in the lkot with what you actually want.

• RMweb Premium

Gostude are the butt of jokes by commentators and bargain hunters on 'Ebay Madness', who take pride in dissing anyone who makes any money, (unless it's their mate). Some have no idea about the work involved in selling.

It should be Gostude is rather than Gostude are.

Or at least I hope so as the vision of more than one of them is quite frightening.

The Ebay Madness thread is just that. It points out the silly prices and descriptions.

He does offer some sensible items and these pass without comment. He does also have a habit of using some hilarious phrases such as "code 3" and "kit built". He does provide a few of us with some light hearted banter to relieve the stress of the real world.

That thread is habited by some very knowledgeable people I might add who do know their subject.

There are some who also do know a bit about selling and the work involved.

If a mate of mind pulled a stunt on Ebay I can assure you he would have his plonker pulled far harder than if it was some body I did not know.

Bernard

Archived