Hornby EXETER

Standardtank

First off, I do sympathise with the retailers over Hornby's handling of the Exeter model. But saying that I don't think we can blame Hornby if some retailers have them on general sale whereas others didn't get sufficient stock to fulfill their pre-orders; Hornby cannot be expected to know how many of a retailer's order are already pre-sold and how many are for the shelves.

Putting Hornby items on general sale? Is there such a thing for retailers these days? Sorry if that comes across as flippant, it's not meant to!

That may be the case for certain items but given how popular this model was going to be, the length of time that has passed since it was announced (close to 3 years I believe), and the fact that most retailers seemed to have sold out on pre-orders alone (although I can't verify that across the board, only what I have seen), I think Hornby completely mis-judged the situation. 

And even if they didn't know how many of the retailers orders were comprised of pre-orders, although I suspect the majority were, they should have supplied the retailers what they could and foregone the direct route. 

I'd like to know how many pre-orders via retailers were not fulfilled, I'll guess we'll never know. But I would hedge a bet it's more than the quantity Hornby put up on the website for direct sale.

Is it perhaps time for duplication? If the demise of the SK produced models means that Hornby can no longer manufacture them due to the financial constraints of modifying or making new moulds then the door is wide open for another manufacture to step in. The best bet if they do would be to make the first model the original air smoothed Merchany Navy rather than the already manufactured WC, BB and MN versions.

Is it perhaps time for duplication? If the demise of the SK produced models means that Hornby can no longer manufacture them due to the financial constraints of modifying or making new moulds then the door is wide open for another manufacture to step in. The best bet if they do would be to make the first model the original air smoothed Merchany Navy rather than the already manufactured WC, BB and MN versions.

Maybe. I'm surrprised Hornby hasn't done an unrebuilt MN given how much people seem to request it.

However, the costs of the new moulds would surely pay for themselves pretty quickly? The air-smoothed Bullied Pacifics are hugely popular models and any more Hornby produces would sell like hot-cakes of that I'm sure!

Guest Belgian

I've just received an e-mail from Hornby listing 'Black Friday' offers. Most seem to be at 35% or so off. Isn't that about the margin they give wholesalers and retailers? Thus these offers are simply cutting out the retailers.

JE

I've just received an e-mail from Hornby listing 'Black Friday' offers. Most seem to be at 35% or so off. Isn't that about the margin they give wholesalers and retailers? Thus these offers are simply cutting out the retailers.

JE

See my post in the "Bargains" thread on the topic -> http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/41387-bargain-hunters/page-71&do=findComment&comment=1677981

Not that there's much to be had of any real significance, at least for me...the email says "up to 75% off on some lines", but no real bargains that I could see, unless you want "ground cover" most everything else is at much less of a discount.

JE

Love the "Black Friday" sale binning of the 2014 catalogue at just 50p.

That says it all about Hornby's year, really.

There were two Exeters available in Lord & Butler, Cardiff this morning,

Dave

Strangest part of these sightings and even the fact that Olivias and the trader on eBay (not sure what "retailer" he is) has them, is that it appears the major retailers such as Hattons, Rails and Kernow got few/none! I just find that odd/weird.

Two additional observations - and simply that "observations", no intentions other than simple comments;

i) Unfortunately, as nice as it'd be to stumble across one in a shop as you did Dave (don't wanna buy it for me do you!! :) ), that's the b*u*gg*e*r about being over here, and hearing folks say "...just go to your local shop...", nearest bona fide Hornby retailer to me is in Ontario, Canada and I can hardly pop in for a quick chat and peruse of the latest arrivals as he's a bloody long way away, as in 900 miles or so - about 13 hours of freeway driving...

ii) Hattons are still showing "Due into stock on or after Monday 22nd December 2014" and have yet to send me the sad news about my pre-order. Probably should take that to mean they are hoping to avoid telling folks that are pre-ordered and won't get one the bad news <sigh>

iii) Comparing photos of my "City of Wells" and "Winston Churchill" against those posted of "Exeter", not sure I am that pleased/impressed with the lining, it seems rather more broad than the finer lining on the two I have

Guest Belgian

Strangest part of these sightings and even the fact that Olivias and the trader on eBay (not sure what "retailer" he is) has them, is that it appears the major retailers such as Hattons, Rails and Kernow got few/none! I just find that odd/weird.

Two additional observations - and simply that "observations", no intentions other than simple comments;

i) Unfortunately, as nice as it'd be to stumble across one in a shop as you did Dave (don't wanna buy it for me do you!! :) ), that's the b*u*gg*e*r about being over here, and hearing folks say "...just go to your local shop...", nearest bona fide Hornby retailer to me is in Ontario, Canada and I can hardly pop in for a quick chat and peruse of the latest arrivals as he's a bloody long way away, as in 900 miles or so - about 13 hours of freeway driving...

ii) Hattons are still showing "Due into stock on or after Monday 22nd December 2014" and have yet to send me the sad news about my pre-order. Probably should take that to mean they are hoping to avoid telling folks that are pre-ordered and won't get one the bad news <sigh>

iii) Comparing photos of my "City of Wells" and "Winston Churchill" against those posted of "Exeter", not sure I am that pleased/impressed with the lining, it seems rather more broad than the finer lining on the two I have

and, tit-for-tat, see my postings 133 and 151 in this thread!  :boast:

JE

Following a conversation with the Hornby Regional Sales Manager at Margate today I can confirm there will be no more Exeters for the foreseeable future.. This does not preclude that they may be able to adapt the tooling eventually.

I wonder where that leaves the 2014 club model "Manston" 34070, currently scheduled for Feb delivery?

Here is a 'sort of' comparison, I haven't altered the lining, just tone colour contrast usual ...

the photo from the ad has been tidied a little.

post-7929-0-89807100-1416943448.jpg

post-7929-0-49486100-1416943492.jpg

Here is a 'sort of' comparison, I haven't altered the lining, just tone colour contrast usual ...

the photo from the ad has been tidied a little.

attachicon.gif34051_Bulleid_7abcd_crop2_r800.jpg

attachicon.gif$_57_1_r800.jpg

Thanks Rob - yeah, not sure if it's just me, but the lining seems broader/less defined and the cab numbering seems a little too broad and not so sharp...maybe I'm better off that Hornby have saved me my pennies and I should scour the net more for other examples of the older but possibly finer detailed examples...

Maybe. I'm surrprised Hornby hasn't done an unrebuilt MN given how much people seem to request it.

However, the costs of the new moulds would surely pay for themselves pretty quickly? The air-smoothed Bullied Pacifics are hugely popular models and any more Hornby produces would sell like hot-cakes of that I'm sure!

That's why we have December 17.... on the other hand it might be tricky to adapt the WC/BoB moulds dimensionally to suit an MN and the first 10 were rather different and even things like cylinders, rivet lines, chassis dimensions, all would have to be re-done. I don't know whether the moulds that Hornby presumably now have from Sanda Kan are useful for a MN. Nor am I expecting REF to take it on, (with a WC or a MN) not because they couldn't do a good job, but Hornby are cash-strapped.

Thanks Rob - yeah, not sure if it's just me, but the lining seems broader/less defined and the cab numbering seems a little too broad and not so sharp...maybe I'm better off that Hornby have saved me my pennies and I should scour the net more for other examples of the older but possibly finer detailed examples...

Certainly re-naming and re-numbering is a viable choice, toboldlygo has I think mastered this art.

It is correct for the parallel lining to have no green showing between the black and orange, therefore looking a little heavier than the panel lining, which should have green showing. Nevertheless the parallel lining is a bit too wide on all the Hornby original Bulleids except City of Wells, which got it absolutely right.

Archived