Hornby EXETER

Standardtank

• RMweb Gold

Interesting discussion about this over on the Hornby forums, one poster seems to believe that more are on their way and that Hornby were not actually expecting any Exeter models in the shipment that arrived last week. Not sure what his/her sources are though...

http://www.Hornby.com/forum/post/view/topic_id/7798/?p=1

I think I've seen this elsewhere only a short while ago. (Or something similar). Hornby did make a short statement on Thursday.I would not expect more than that.All else fuels nothing but speculation.It could be that this starts another "unconfirmed sightings" saga as in the case of the long disappeared "Lucky" Lucan.e.g "Exeter" seen top to tail on Sandite train with Class67

I think I've seen this elsewhere only a short while ago. (Or something similar). Hornby did make a short statement on Thursday.I would not expect more than that.All else fuels nothing but speculation.It could be that this starts another "unconfirmed sightings" saga as in the case of the long disappeared "Lucky" Lucan.e.g "Exeter" seen top to tail on Sandite train with Class67

Do you have a link to the Hornby statement? I couldn't see anything on Hornby.com...

• RMweb Gold

Do you have a link to the Hornby statement? I couldn't see anything on Hornby.com...

The nearest you can get are the two statements mailed by Kernow on Thurs, pm and Rails,Fri.am....which is a version of it. Neither statement demonstrates a harmony with Hornby on this matter,That is as far,for the moment,that we can get.

A personal feeling is that they will retrench to Teflon Towers and say no more for the time being. Reminds me of the late Harold Wilson's dictum of  a fortnight being a long time in politics.

Going off tangent atm on the matter of supply shortage,has anyone noticed that it's suddenly deluging N2's ?

Guest Belgian

Why do I get the impression that the one on the right is laughing behind his hands?  :jester:

He knows something and is whispering it to his mates . . . but he ain't gonna tell us.

JE

• RMweb Gold

Interesting discussion about this over on the Hornby forums, one poster seems to believe that more are on their way and that Hornby were not actually expecting any Exeter models in the shipment that arrived last week. Not sure what his/her sources are though...

http://www.Hornby.com/forum/post/view/topic_id/7798/?p=1

Hatton's are saying 

On order. 

Due into stock on or after Monday 22nd December 2014

• RMweb Premium

Looks very nice to me! Just out of interest, what sort of packaging did it come in? Is it the old one piece polystyrene foam effort that most of these models came in or is it 'new' style clear plastic Bachmann style?

Sorry for the late reply - been out indulging another of my South London passions (apologies to any scousers on here!) It's "new clear plastic Bachmann" style.  Loco and tender were also semi-permanently connected together (screws in the drawbar) plus the 4-way electrical plug...

Sorry for the late reply - been out indulging another of my South London passions (apologies to any scousers on here!) It's "new clear plastic Bachmann" style.  Loco and tender were also semi-permanently connected together (screws in the drawbar) plus the 4-way electrical plug...

That's interesting! Does it definitely have the SK code on the label on the underside of the box? I didn't think that factory had released any models in the new style packaging.... but I could be wrong on that front.

• RMweb Premium

The trade website doesn't even acknowledge that this item exists, so what do Hattons know that the rest of we retailers are not being told about?

I would not think that they know any more than any other retailer.

It looks like their typical general statement.

Bernard

• RMweb Premium

That's interesting! Does it definitely have the SK code on the label on the underside of the box? I didn't think that factory had released any models in the new style packaging.... but I could be wrong on that front.

Code is SK101-P89880 R3115-37-852

Very interesting indeed. Perhaps 3rd Rail Exile can confirm if there is or isn't an SK code on the label?

[Edited to add : seems like 3rd Rail Exile and I were typing at the same time]

• RMweb Premium

Sorry for the late reply - been out indulging another of my South London passions (apologies to any scousers on here!)

No need to apologise, as a Scouser I enjoyed it more than you :mosking:

The blue version I assume then (I think I've seen reference to that effect on another thread..)

Code is SK101-P89880 R3115-37-852

Thanks for that. So that begs the question, if the models were made before the contract finished (March of this year wasn't it?) how come it has taken all these months to get here in not in the quantity expected? Very strange...

Not strange at all. If you were production planner for a factory that had lost orders from a major customer would you give priority to the final order?  By the time the necessary components, sub assemblies, jigs & fixtures, benches and instructions assembled and staff trained considerable time could have elapsed. It would seem, given the unusual quantity produced, that the manufacturer had assembled as many as possible from the components remaining in stock, being reluctant to set up moulding tools etc for a small run.

Roger.

Fair enough, I might have been unduly hard on Brighton Belle - I agree that it's a hard reality.  Anyway, my preferred retailer emailed me today to tell me they were dispatching "Exeter" - it might arrive tomorrow.  If so, I'll post a picture.  This does leave me in the awkward position of having an order in with Hornby as well - if I do end up with two I'll PM Ian Abel and see if we can sort something out.  He appears to be the keenest of the "I wanted one" brigade and I can't see any fairer way of resolving the situation (other than just keeping two, which seems unfair under the particular circumstances).  Not a happy situation all round, but there seems little we can do about it as mere punters...

Thank you (honestly, I appreciate the sentiment and offer) It's actually interesting to be identifed this way "..keenest of the 'I wanted one' brigade".. and I certainly appreciate the thoughts of a couple of memebers who may be lucky to end up with two in this manner - honestly, if I'd been less concerned with maintaining the pre-order I have/had and just ordered one from Hornby I may have been in the same situation, a two-fer, and would honestly have passed one on at a decent (non-eBay gouging price)...

My keennes <sp> is surprising simple;

i) I just liked the idea of that particular model another air-smoothed to add to the two I have, fits my layout, and a NEW PRODUCTION BB/MN/WC would be welcomed

ii) Was the first non-sound B/MN/WC that was going to arrive NEW from Hornby since I got back into modelling barely more than a year ago, so I thought I'd like to own one, instead of scouring eBay and second hand sales for my locos, which is painful from the US in the grand scheme of things anyway!

iii) Several retailers, including the one I generally work with, had the pre-order option, so I decided I'd do that - to assure myself I got the model when it was released <BLOODY GREAT PAUSE FOR STUPID LAUGHTER>

iv) As a reminder for those thinking local shops should be supported, I agree, and I WOULD if there was one, I wish ther was one. Hornby Railways do not SELL in retailers in the US, the nearest are Canadian retailers, whom I have had the pleasure to buy from in the past also, but that is no different, as it's still/also long-distance either internet or phone, so not supporting a local model shop in any way - I don't do it, because I CAN'T. So wobbling on about going down to your local shop on a Saturday for a chin-wag and viewing the latest arrivals isn't ever an option.

Without continuing to belabour the arguments "too much", it's still troubling/stupid/unbusinesslike for Hornby to have handled the entire fiasco they way they have, AND, even if some folks think it may have been driven by a "lets get full retail on our web site for additional revenue" I have to ask the following question;

Scenario: apparently let's say 290 are all that arrived, and let's say they decided to sell ALL of them on their web site. Let's say 50% of the 130 odd quid price is the added return for them over their wholesale price (GROSS exageration in all probability anyway!!!). That would meant they are going to make an additional 65 quid per loco, adding up to a whopping addition to their bottom line of....18,850 quid!

Question: If THAT is important to the bottom line for either the management OR the shareholders, they are in a bloody-sight worse shape than ANYONE on here even speculates they are...

How much improvement in the botton-line, on a who cares level, is that amount of money? If we were talking 1000's of units and all THOSE were selling like wild fire it would be understandable, but 290 for a net additional profit of 18,850??? Get a grip, they've definately lost the plot...

• RMweb Gold

Scenario: apparently let's say 290 are all that arrived, and let's say they decided to sell ALL of them on their web site. Let's say 50% of the 130 odd quid price is the added return for them over their wholesale price (GROSS exageration in all probability anyway!!!). That would meant they are going to make an additional 65 quid per loco, adding up to a whopping addition to their bottom line of....18,850 quid!

Question: If THAT is important to the bottom line for either the management OR the shareholders, they are in a bloody-sight worse shape than ANYONE on here even speculates they are...

How much improvement in the botton-line, on a who cares level, is that amount of money? If we were talking 1000's of units and all THOSE were selling like wild fire it would be understandable, but 290 for a net additional profit of 18,850??? Get a grip, they've definately lost the plot...

Posters keep repeating that Hornby sold direct to earn a few extra quid but the main reason for selling direct does not seem to have been mentioned.

Selling direct they get paid up front instead of waiting 30 days???  60 days??? 90 days???  possibly never!!!! Borrowing that money while waiting to get paid can become expensive and cash flow is the downfall of many a company

With the company I work for there are a host of benefits of selling direct (completely different market to model trains) - money straight away, higher profit margin, buyer puts the order on themselves, less work for accounts as they don't have to chase orders etc etc

• RMweb Premium

I wish people on here would read all the topic before jumping in with both feet to criticise.  Its fairy obvious that Hornby didn't keep all 290 Exeters for themselves as a number of modellers on here have reported getting their pre-ordered Exeter from their mail order retailer, and I wonder how many others (who don't use RMweb, don't forget RMweb isn't the whole world) have also received them.  Don't forget Hornby would also have had pre-orders from a number of mail order individuals, and their retail shop is just as much of a customer as is Hattons or Kernow or Rails or any other shop. I expect they had to disappoint a number of individuals too. 

This problem was caused by the financial demise of Sanda Kan and its takeover by Kader who are the owners of Bachmann.  Its them that failed (for whatever reason) to produce the full order and as it was the last order supplied by them the problem is not likely to happen with the newer models (like the 700) now coming out.  And lets face it, Hornby had to change suppliers, they couldn't have continued basically with Bachmann's owner as their supplier.  Hornby have gone to great lengths to avoid future supply problems by now having 4 Chinese companies as their suppliers and someone at the NEC told me it was going to be 6 !, but I don't know definitely about that.

Its just an unfortunate problem that's unlikely to be repeated very often in future.  To listen to what's being said on here, anyone would think that Hornby like upsetting the modelling world, they don't, and they've taken very great steps (and expensive ones at that, like having to buy their tools from Kader) to avoid some of the supply problems in future. 

Don't forget Bachmann are not immune from supply problems, and they're owned by the factory !  Look at all the people that couldn't get a SECR liveried C class ! 

Posters keep repeating that Hornby sold direct to earn a few extra quid but the main reason for selling direct does not seem to have been mentioned.

Selling direct they get paid up front instead of waiting 30 days???  60 days??? 90 days???  possibly never!!!! Borrowing that money while waiting to get paid can become expensive and cash flow is the downfall of many a company

With the company I work for there are a host of benefits of selling direct (completely different market to model trains) - money straight away, higher profit margin, buyer puts the order on themselves, less work for accounts as they don't have to chase orders etc etc

I have said a few times, on this and other threads, that selling direct is not the issue per se. The issue with this situation is that Hornby had existing orders from retailers for Exeter (and Bittern for that matter) and those should have been honoured as best they could with the limited quantities they received.

It's the handling of the situation that people are miffed about. 

Archived