Hattons announce 14xx / 48xx / 58xx

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

5811 isn't on the list on page 1, but one of the 58xxs that is has topfeed.

Thanks very much for your assistnce.

I found whats confusing me. The matrix states H1410 is the 58xx i need with a topfeed in black, but i was looking at the pictures on hattons and the picture shows this one without a top feed. Simple error :-)

Edited by Garry D100

As a regular on the Gobowen Rattler from 1955 to 1964, I remember the 14XX/48XX with a lot of affection.  A few posts back someone mentioned 58XX pulling two coaches between Barmouth and Dollgellau.  This route is basically at sea level all the way.  On the other hand, the route over the top from Bala was a different kettle of fish which maybe why the smaller wheeled 64XX panniers were rostered.  Snow Hill to Stourbridge push pull sets used a 14XX with four coaches at peak times - see warwickshirerailways.com for the evidence -  the loco in the middle.

I agree that a DMJ/Hattons 48XX in pre-war livery is lacking anything to pull unless you happen to have an Airfix autocoach.  Having the one without the other is a bit of a waste of time.  Just my two cents as I already have two Airfix "wrecks" and an Airfix autocoach which one day might run.

But the pre-production models do look great!

• Like 1

Dave Mylett's sent over a full set of detailed images.

This is a first EP sample and is for checking the fundamentals over, rivet detail etc is still to be added in due course.

attachicon.gifRMweb10001.jpg

attachicon.gifRMweb10002.jpg

attachicon.gifRMweb10003.jpg

attachicon.gifRMweb10004.jpg

attachicon.gifRMweb10005.jpg

attachicon.gifRMweb10006.jpg

attachicon.gifRMweb10007.jpg

attachicon.gifRMweb10008.jpg

attachicon.gifRMweb10009.jpg

attachicon.gifRMweb10010.jpg

attachicon.gifRMweb10011.jpg

attachicon.gifRMweb10012.jpg

attachicon.gifRMweb10013.jpg

attachicon.gifRMweb10014.jpg

attachicon.gifRMweb10015.jpg

attachicon.gifRMweb10016.jpg

attachicon.gifRMweb10017.jpg

This does look very nice. She just needs a replacement High Level chassis with Ultrascale wheels and she will really look the part!  If the Railmotor trailer - or a converted Railmotor - were produced we would have pretty much the perfect GWR auto train!

Gerry

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Is the push pull equipment the small box on the front buffer beam?

Part of it - it's the electrical hookup for the bell system. The regulator was connected via a mechanical linkage which I think you can just make out to the right of the coupling hook, just under the buffer beam.

But all that detail could tend to make people reluctant to chop one up into something resembling a 517 class, while doing it to an Airfix one wouldn't feel so bad!

As the yocal would tell you when asking him for directions "Well now, if oi were you, oi wouldn't be startin' from 'ere...."

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations Dave on producing this truly stunning model. The level of detail is superb. ;)

I've one on order and I'm looking forwards to when they're released.

After a week where you've taken a bit of a knock here's some really good news.

Hope it sells in bucket loads! 

Cheers,

Mark

Hopefully a Manor and Mogul next?! 

:D

• Like 1

This does look very nice. She just needs a replacement High Level chassis with Ultrascale wheels and she will really look the part!  If the Railmotor trailer - or a converted Railmotor - were produced we would have pretty much the perfect GWR auto train!

Gerry

I thought that, but added up the price of this complete model,, the High Level chassis, Ultrascale wheels, motor and gearbox - scary.

• RMweb Gold

[quote name="Focalplane" post="2115247" timestamp="1449174180" rSnow Hill to Stourbridge push pull sets used a 14XX with four coaches at peak times - see warwickshirerailways.com for the evidence - the loco in the middle.

I'm intrigued by that. A long way post steam, I commuted to birmingham (sadly new street in those days) from Stourbridge. In the winter the first generation dmus used to struggle up old hill bank, particularly if it was icy and/or overcrowded. Per earlier comments, the 14xx seems to struggle with load and hills so am surprised they ran to snow hill on that service. I'd have thought they were serving The branch from Old Hill as I thought the snow hill/Birmingham service was a largely prairie service?

David

Edited by Clearwater

As the yocal would tell you when asking him for directions "Well now, if oi were you, oi wouldn't be startin' from 'ere...."

As I have a surplus EM gauge Airfix one, either I convert it back to OO to run on the OO layout I'm planning, or knock it up into something a bit like a 517 to solve my 1905ish EM loco shortage, until I can build something better. If it turns into a 517, I just might be tempted to solve my OO loco shortage with a new 58xx.

• Like 1

I'm not sure on the cabside recesses either, they look too tall or too short, plus all after market etched plates are much thinner than those recesses appear, so i'm intrigued as to where the plates will be coming from. 

It's going to need some Ultrascale wheels too, those 00 ones look a bit on the clunky side for my liking, I was hoping to be able to push them out but it looks like there will be no room behind the trailing wheel outside frames. 

However overall it looks a stunning model, far better than any other GWR tank on the market. Fingers crossed with a good trading year I might be able to add 1432 to my already preordered 5801. I'll be needing a chassis too for my existing Airfix 1459, just have to make sure it never appears alongside the others! 

As a regular on the Gobowen Rattler from 1955 to 1964, I remember the 14XX/48XX with a lot of affection.  A few posts back someone mentioned 58XX pulling two coaches between Barmouth and Dollgellau.  This route is basically at sea level all the way.  On the other hand, the route over the top from Bala was a different kettle of fish which maybe why the smaller wheeled 64XX panniers were rostered.  

Not actually true. The non push pull fitted 74XX along with variants of the 57XX Panniers were the mainstay of Blaenau Ffestiniog services. Coaches were a mix of non-corridor and corridor stock and the locos ran round their trains in Blaenau and often went off to Tan-Y-Manod sidings to use the turntable.

Edited by coachmann

It would be useful to know with all these sophisticated new locos, what the scope is for converting to EM and P4, and whether it's been considered in the design. It may only affect a minority of modellers, but then modellers who really care about the detail may only be a minority of buyers anyway, compared to collectors and those who aren't too bothered about such things.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not so sure the cabside number plate recess is going to be a good idea. Many folk renumber their locos and fit engraved plates so the last thing one wants is a recess.

I think this a good idea - perhaps even a great idea if the supplied plates aren't over-glued. Real GWR plates are much heftier items than the etched replacements we all usually fit, this will enable not only a representation of the missing depth and rounded edges, but should self-align well.

I think this a good idea - perhaps even a great idea if the supplied plates aren't over-glued. Real GWR plates are much heftier items than the etched replacements we all usually fit, this will enable not only a representation of the missing depth and rounded edges, but should self-align well.

I see what you mean, but in this case I agree with Coachmann - if you want to renumber you'll have to fill in the recess first. Not to mention, introducing an area of possible mis-alignment (i.e. if the number plates are fractionally smaller than the hole, there will be a tiny gap where there doesn't need to be one).

Edited by DavidH

Looks great, except for the recessed plates; I can see numerous problems with those trying to renumber. Let alone getting any existing plate out without damaging the surrounding area. Will this be a feature on the King as well??? I hope not.

Seems a very odd decision on an otherwise exquisite model of a 14XX

If nothing else (outside my scope) it prevents a heavily weathered end of life example being run with a chalked number on its cabsides.

3/4" thick aka 0.25mm in 4mm scale. The numbers are only supposed to be raised 1/4" too. 

A few things that don't seen quite right the chimney has a ridge where it meets the cap and the base. the smokebox handrail is not quite right where it curves down the side of the boiler, also the regulator handle in the cab seems too low.

I do have one on order and none of the faults will put me off buying but it would be nice if these are corrected before production, The Chimney really sets the face of the loco and to me this is not quite right, but way better than the old Airfix model.

David

I'm intrigued by that. A long way post steam, I commuted to birmingham (sadly new street in those days) from Stourbridge. In the winter the first generation dmus used to struggle up old hill bank, particularly if it was icy and/or overcrowded. Per earlier comments, the 14xx seems to struggle with load and hills so am surprised they ran to snow hill on that service. I'd have thought they were serving The branch from Old Hill as I thought the snow hill/Birmingham service was a largely prairie service?

David

David, Stourbridge Junction had two 14XX on shed in 1948.  They were also used on the Snow Hill Dudley service (with the nickname Dudley Dodger!).  As to Old Hill, yes it needed bankers on goods trains in steam days (usually a pannier in the late 1950s IIRC).

• RMweb Gold

The smokebox handrail is not quite right where it curves down the side of the boiler

And easy enough to get wrong if you're bending your own one up. This one is miles better than the old Airfix one.

The Chimney really sets the face of the loco and to me this is not quite right, but way better than the old Airfix model

The old Airfix one was one of the worst features of that model, in my view, although whether it was quite as awful as the old K's casting, I'm not sure. Either way, I've done a few replacements over the years.

• Like 1

I don't even model GWR anymore having gone South for the duration (I used to have a rather nice mock up of Brixham) but I will definitely just have to buy one (just one?) anyway.  (No topfeeds please and properly numbered in the 48xx series.)

What lie can I come up with that will allow a GWR 48xx and Autocoach servicing Padstow in 1947.  Possibly a Bodmin General (GWR) to Padstow service? To compete with my O2 and Maunsell rebuilds serving Bodmin (SR).  Must have been a lot of hangings at Bodmin goal to warrant this level of traffic in 1947. 

1 Airfix, 1 Hornby/Airfix, 1 K's 14xx/48xx will be relegated to deep deep storage. I never could get the K's one to run more than 6 inches.  I did manage to scrape the topfeed off one of the Airfix/Hornby versions so it wouldn't look out of place in a 1947 Brixham/Churston service.  

We definitely need an appropriate GWR 1930's Autocoach now. I have several the of Parkside Bloaters stored somewhere along with a pair of scratchbuilt smaller fish vans.

• Like 1