Sounds like maybe 1974 was about the time for the blue/white livery introduction, unless some body has an earlier photo. I would like to see the photo at Lowestoft please. :yes:

The Karrier sounds like a case of hanging on to 'old faithful' being more use than the modern stuff.

Cheers Merf.

Copyright and the lack of a scanner precludes me including the pic but it appears in a paper back "Shunting Locomotives In the Diesel Age" by Ray King. It's on P46 and shows the two vans facing the camera, parked at the side of Lowestoft Station, looking towards the docks branch with 03035 parked. It was taken in December 1974, both vehicles are too far away to read the plates but both have black number plates suggesting they were a few years old by that stage.

This shows the book in question - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shunting-Locomotives-Diesel-Age-King/dp/0955454360/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1357683011&sr=8-6

Edited by RANGERS

The two vehicles in the rear of this shot caught my eye; Commers, I think, but I've not seen any in yellow outside of the Base Toys catalogue

Yellow was applied from 1963 when these were still being delivered new, so it is not uncommon. The design was in production until the mid-1970s.

Yellow was applied from 1963 when these were still being delivered new, so it is not uncommon. The design was in production until the mid-1970s.

I think both are Karrier Bantams. The one at the rear is a mechanical horse, hundreds of these being supplied in both red/cream and yellow to all of the regions from the mid 50s till about 1967. At the front a parcels van, a batch of these was bought by the London Midland Region,  SUR 1-103 between Sept.1954 & May 1955, most of the photos Ihave seen of these are in the London area, but this being the first repainted yellow I have come across (thanks Paul)

Merf.

and some more pics I have seen on flickr...... again not sure if they have been on this thread before...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan1960/5576619838/

a dodge commando, an early Sherpa, land rover and something else in the background

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nocturnaljournal95/5239701254/

ignore the `47, what about the NSE maestro vans?  I just want one....

• Like 1

and some more pics I have seen on flickr...... again not sure if they have been on this thread before...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan1960/5576619838/

a dodge commando, an early Sherpa, land rover and something else in the background

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nocturnaljournal95/5239701254/

ignore the `47, what about the NSE maestro vans?  I just want one....

Something else is a Bedford HA.  That Dodge had one of those cheap cranes that just went up, you had to wind a handle to slew the thing.

Found this on Fire Engine Photos website, A Bruff, A dennis Appliance and a Sherpa Van,,,,,,,loveley

attachicon.gifBruff Sherpa.jpg

Copyright to that web site

R

Hi ringo,

I like that - I reckon the bruff is the one from hornsey, they had a habit of putting orange beacons on them, the Sherpa  is similar to one the Chiltern clean teams had, I think F134 SBL - but not certain, would have been NSE  branded.

One for you here, for sale on evilbay, but the clock is ticking:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221177923371?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

and here it is at work:

post-12679-0-65491200-1358452679.jpg

Edited by andye

Hi ringo,

I like that - I reckon the bruff is the one from hornsey, they had a habit of putting orange beacons on them, the Sherpa  is similar to one the Chiltern clean teams had, I think F134 SBL - but not certain, would have been NSE  branded.

and here it is at work:

attachicon.gifews roadrunner.jpg

C964YOR was the Hornsey BRUFF, and it looks like that is the reg. number. The Sherpa seems to have NSE branding too.

Looks like the one from Warrington Arpley for sale.

Merf.

Is that Bescots old EWS truck by any chance, i think the Bescot one was moved as at the time Bescot came under Warrington, if it is then it did spend times round at my house in Brum, as at the time my brother was working for them at the time, and used come round for bacon sandwiches!

The naighbours hated our house, Astra vans, Commandos, Bruffs, Bedford and Freight rover pick ups, all used to be parked outside at times, and of course one of those EWS trucks, oh and once a Land Rover defender 130 fully fitted with rail wheels!.

They were so glad when I moved! No sense of humour!

Its very very tempting, but really , I want a BR truck.......

Ringo

Edited by ringo
  • Like 1

Is that Bescots old EWS truck by any chance, i think the Bescot one was moved as at the time Bescot came under Warrington, if it is then it did spend times round at my house in Brum, as at the time my brother was working for them at the time, and used come round for bacon sandwiches!

The naighbours hated our house, Astra vans, Commandos, Bruffs, Bedford and Freight rover pick ups, all used to be parked outside at times, and of course one of those EWS trucks, oh and once a Land Rover defender 130 fully fitted with rail wheels!.

Its very very tempting, but really , I want a BR truck.......

Ringo

R 64PAU it is Ringo.

Ringo, I understand, the EWS one doesn't interest me at all. but finding anything now in BR colours is hard - my yellow one was just luck, and the fact a collector had bought it from ews and just stotred it for a couple of years, and the fact it was dumped at bescott for many years as well, how the hell it survived almost in one piece is remarkable.

As we have discussed , there are some bruffs around , but are in a very poor condition! Any of them would be a full scale restoration, and that's hard given the size of the damn thing! But would be great when done, a real part of railway history. In fact I am surprised there isn't one in the national collection,  as they are unique almost!    Talking of neighbours, I did take mine to my girlfriends house, it blocked the light out for two houses, they were not that impressed!

I always keep looking though, you never know what can pop up, like the D reg one I found, although that's in good condition, in fact its superb, its for spares really as I only wanted it as it had the correct cooker and water heater, and some good cab internals !   Its also very depot like, starting it from cold most of the yard vanishes under a thick white smoke!

Edited by andye

Ringo

... and how many did you photograph. I've tried without success  so far to encourage a friend (and he is on RMWeb) to take photos of the van(s) he regularly uses. Living close to where Netto Rail keep their road fleet in York it is now very noticeable how short a working life a lot of the road vehicles have - Jarvis had a brand new fleet, where are they now?

Paul Bartlett

• Like 1

Paul,

thats just it, you took them for granted and seldom took pictures, I do have some of our old BRUFF somewhere, I realy must find them and scan them in, I remember taking one at Langley Green, as it was my last BRUFF driving and rerailing before I left to go to Saltley.

I'll dig them out soon.

I see that Bescots old truck went for £2600 on the bay of E.....shame it wasnt an older BR one, or I would have had it!

R

... and how many did you photograph. I've tried without success  so far to encourage a friend (and he is on RMWeb) to take photos of the van(s) he regularly uses. Living close to where Netto Rail keep their road fleet in York it is now very noticeable how short a working life a lot of the road vehicles have - Jarvis had a brand new fleet, where are they now?

Paul Bartlett

Paul

The standard Transit crew van that is so common has about a 4/5 year life with S&T and PWay teams.  We had new vans of the crew van type in 1992 with BR, transfered to Jarvis in yellow, then 1999, 2002 in Jarvis maroon, and white N R van in 2007, replaced in 2011/2.  Back in BR days the small vans (HA, Marina,Astras) were changed every 4 years, larger vehicle aprox 7 years.

Merf.

Just had a look through some of my old photos & found a few yellow trucks & vans lurking in the background, so I though it might be worthwhile to see if I could crop them:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pyewipe-jct/sets/72157632559920280/detail/

Nothing special, & the quality's not brilliant, but hopefully of some interest.

Cheers,

Kevin

Recently acquired a couple of Bristol SC4LK kits, one of which is to built as one of the PW buses that were in use by BR into the late '70s. I know they were based at Doncaster but were there any others elsewhere on the ER and does anyone have any pics.

Recently acquired a couple of Bristol SC4LK kits, one of which is to built as one of the PW buses that were in use by BR into the late '70s. I know they were based at Doncaster but were there any others elsewhere on the ER and does anyone have any pics.

NFW651 and PFW934 both ex Lincolnshire, based at Doncaster the only ones I have detail of.

P M for you Rangers.

Merf.

Just had a look through some of my old photos & found a few yellow trucks & vans lurking in the background, so I though it might be worthwhile to see if I could crop them:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pyewipe-jct/sets/72157632559920280/detail/

Nothing special, & the quality's not brilliant, but hopefully of some interest.

Cheers,

Kevin

Thanks for posting those, pictures of these lorries with network southeast branding seem hard to find, despite them being all around me when I worked on the railway in 1988!

I like the dodge, complete with extra stickers and roof beacon, some early "customising " taking place!

That's also the first picture I have seen of a terrier with NSE branding too, just goes to show how long ago it all was!

Andy

Edited by andye

• RMweb Premium

Hi ringo,

and here it is at work:

attachicon.gifews roadrunner.jpg

Its back for sale:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAYLAND-DAF-45-130-WITH-HIAB-CRANE-EX-SCOTTISH-RAIL-LORRY-ONLY-60500KM-/321061382616?pt=UK_Commercial_Trucks&hash=item4ac0bfe9d8