Oxfordrail - Adams Radial

John M Upton

So maybe whatever it is will be driven by clockwork - that'll give the DCC boys something to scratch their heads over............

John

Hi John,

Fitting DCC to clockwork locomotives is dead easy.........................................

.......The 'key' to the proceedure is to use 'grandfather rights'...............

Hat in hand, coat over arm and running for the door.............

Regards

• Like 1

Hi  John B,  If you provide it, I'll eat it, wrong or right. Anythings better than my cooking !     adrianbs

Better still, would be to turn said water into wine, warmed up with the odd red-hot rivet.

Failing that,.... meantime,.... I'll try to.... 'KEEP CALM And DRINK Ma WHISKY'

Cheers.

And now the first line of yet another verse appears on their website :

"His orphaned son, who fathered me"

Well not long to wait now and all will be revealed.

Cheers,

Chris

http://www.springfair.com/Exhibitor/Oxford-Diecast-1

"New for 2015 being launched at the spring Fair will be a range of model Railway items"

I remain intrigued as to what constitutes a "range" and quite how Oxford's efforts will fit into the current scheme of things. 

Somehow I can't see them stepping on too many toes - either long standing grandees or more recent entrants - therefore I suspect they will (and will need to) offer something a bit different.

A range aimed squarely at collectors is not necessarily a bad thing as I don't subscribe to the view that collectors and modelers are entirely distinct breeds. I'm sure that many Model Railway collectors, just as with the racing car or aircraft enthusiasts, are highly knowledgeable and discerning about their purchases. Railway enthusiasts (historical or otherwise) who perhaps see the models as a part but not all of their passion.

There are, I'm sure, some people who will "model" one aspect of their interest while collecting another.

I know one at least who has a sizable collection of pre-'68 locos, just about every Oxford, Base Toys, Classix and Corgi Trackside released in '50s/'60s livery and who's current modelling endeavors are based on a chunk of the Metropolitan Line north of Harrow during the A stock / S stock switch-over.

If we take at face value the earlier suggestion that Oxford have six items "approved" then I hope there will be something to entertain me while I thrash out the best way to get Met stock up and running to an acceptable standard. The holder of the artistic licence on this project doesn't think that there are any current kit offerings that quite measure up.

I hope that Oxfords efforts will please most people and that it will be a long standing success for them. If there is a long term, it won't matter much whether or not the first model is (another) Adams Radial tank. When we see "The Range" we'll know if it tickles our fancy.

For now I only wish that the "poem" slowly revealing itself was one by Sir John Betjemin.

RP

• RMweb Premium

Here's my attempt at poetry.

There was a young (although I'm not actually that young) man from RMweb

Who tried to work out what oxfordrail was on about in a humourous limerick,

Oh, is this supposed to rhyme?

b*ll*cks..................... it ain't painted yellow

Am I bothered?

:jester:

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

There was a young (although I'm not actually that young) man from RMweb

Who tried to work out what oxfordrail was on about in a humourous limerick,

Oh, is this supposed to rhyme?

b*ll*cks..................... it ain't painted yellow

Am I bothered?

Cheers,

Mick

So you're the chap ghosting as E J Thribb in the "Eye"?

• Like 1

ASSUMING,

that the rumours that it will be an Adams Radial is true and seeing that Oxford advertise themselves as "surprisingly affordable"),  AND  ASSUMING  that there will be at least one other Radial announced, which  MAY  be more expensive but more accurate  ( who knows )  -  then are there other locos which might benefit from a 4-4-2 chassis ?

I think I see a cab appearing. Its looking more and more like a Jones Goods.

Hi All,

I may be wrong about this idea as i'm not an expert on the Highland.

Having looked at a couple of pictures of HR 103 and then the 'image' on the OxfordRail website, is not the front boilerband on the O/R 'image' somewhat too wide and dark for the HR loco?.

To me it gives more of an impression of the LSWR livery with its more ornate lining.

Just a though.

Regards

• RMweb Premium

it ain't painted yellow

Am I bothered?

Cheers,

Mick

I think I see a cab appearing. Its looking more and more like a Jones Goods.

Actually, if it is a Jones goods, weren't they painted yellow?

:O

Cheers,

Mick

I'm now less inclined to think it Highland 103. There appears to be a lubricator on the smoke box side, not a feature on 103. Something LSWR looks likely, but the length of the image suggests it's not a tank locomotive, unless it's trailing some rolling stock.....

Edited: error corrected, many thanks loconuts.

Edited by Arthur

• RMweb Gold

Well looking at the picture all I can see is a lot of fog.  I suppose it is the season of mists and mellow fruitfulness, although given some of the responses on here, fog and awful nuttiness is probably more appropriate.

The little bit of the image poking out from the obfuscating miasma made me think of the Stirling Single.  Now that would have obvious NRM and Thomas tie-ins....

• Like 1

Well looking at the picture all I can see is a lot of fog.  I suppose it is the season of mists and mellow fruitfulness, although given some of the responses on here, fog and awful nuttiness is probably more appropriate.

The little bit of the image poking out from the obfuscating miasma made me think of the Stirling Single.  Now that would have obvious NRM and Thomas tie-ins....

Hi,

Oh yes! - A 'Stirling' Single.

Now two of those I need.

One for its shear beauty as is and one to become 'Emily' on our 'Thomas' exhibition layout to replace the Hornby version which is incorrectly the 'Dean' Single.

I've got two very old Kitmaster versions stored away to do the above two but if Oxford were to make life easier. I had hoped that one of my Kitmasters might have led to a Stirling being included in the Great British Locomotives series but that now seems unlikely.

Regards,

Ps

Hope things are not too bad in Fairbourne with all the fuss over the coastal defences. We own a bungalow in the villiage so are watching things closely.

Regards

• Like 1

This is to Arthur, do you ever study the prototype because LSWR locos did not have clack valves mounted on the smokebox and as far as I know no loco had that feature.  The LSWR Adams locos had lubricators mounted on the smoke box.  Clack valves were used to feed water to the boiler so would not be a lot of good feeding it to the smoke box.  The Highland 103's did not have this feature but did have a builders plate fixed to the smoke box side and the lubricators were down at footplate level.

It is not a Adams T3 as the frames are the wrong shape, unless Oxford Rail have made an error.

Loconuts

This is to loconuts, thank you for your posting, yes, I meant lubricators. No I've never looked at a photograph of a real locomotive, you ever read a book on charm and diplomacy?

Edited by Arthur
  • Like 2

This is to Arthur, do you ever study the prototype because LSWR locos did not have clack valves mounted on the smokebox and as far as I know no loco had that feature.  The LSWR Adams locos had lubricators mounted on the smoke box.  Clack valves were used to feed water to the boiler so would not be a lot of good feeding it to the smoke box.  The Highland 103's did not have this feature but did have a builders plate fixed to the smoke box side and the lubricators were down at footplate level.

It is not a Adams T3 as the frames are the wrong shape, unless Oxford Rail have made an error.

Loconuts

Hi,

A clack valve might have been fitted on the smokebox side as an early experimental smokebox cleaning device might it not.........................................

I'll go back to my dmu's now!!!

Regards

• Like 2