Oxfordrail - Adams Radial

John M Upton

Hi All  Some pretty vivid imaginations out there !! And some pretty awful poets as well.  I don't think the picture has changed at all since I looked 10 days ago, it's still a Radial tank if the model matches the image, although the picture may just be a wind up anyway and it might be an unrebuilt LNER Hush Hush. which would only be slightly less useful than a Radial if they don't do the coaches to go with.  At least Hush Hush could be used with Hornby's LNER coaches         Dream on    adrianbs

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Its all relative I suppose.  Mind you, "loco works" doesn't specify the scale of the loco, GEM locos used to be made in Rhos on Sea, between Colwyn Bay and Llandudno, and that's definitely North Wales, and even closer to seaside resorts with features....  Piers, Trams, take your pick!

But the foggy loco currently looks like a mid-19th Century loco, and given the dire rhyme, the name Abergele comes to mind, does it look like an LNWR "Problem class loco?

What are all these herrings doing here?

I wouldn't describe any of those resorts are near to Llangollen unless you have a very fast jet or a very small scale map.  In any case has there ever been a class of loco called a Conway Rug, Llandudno Laminate or Abergele Axminster?   

I did wonder if it was a Barmouth shagpile but I'd never heard of a loco being named after the barmaid at the Tal-y-Don.

Not a class no but LNWR George The Fifths were named Colwyn Bay, Penmaenmawr etc. Patriot LMS locos used these names and more in LMS days

Belpaire firebox still leaves an awful lot of classes.... if indeed it is that. 8 to go

Edited by LNWR lives on

Not a class no but LNWR George The Fifths were named Colwyn Bay, Penmaenmawr etc. Patriot LMS locos used these names and more in LMS days

Belpaire firebox still leaves an awful lot of classes.... if indeed it is that. 8 to go

Hi All,

Well my little riddle seems to have given a little fun.

Thanks for your comment Railroadbill.

To decode the riddle:

The harbour wall in Lyme Regis is called The Cob and the causeway between Porthmadoc and Boston Lodge works is called The Cob

Axminster (carpets) are not, unlike Wilton in Wiltshire.

So there you are.

I'm sure much frothing will continue just like on the Great British Locomotives thread.

Regards

• Like 1

Would just like to point out that the "reveal date" is November 8th which, coincidentally, is the date of the Thorncombe Model Railway Exhibition.

Thorncombe is in West Dorset, as is a certain small seaside town, a little to the west of Weymouth and a little to the east of Beer, home of Peco.

Beer is in East Devon, as is a certain carpet-manufacturing town which was the LSWR West of England main line junction for a light-railway branchline to a certain small seaside town in West Dorset.

So  .  .  .  .

.  .  .  .   if those of you who are trying to work it out were to come along to Thorncombe Modelex, we would up our attendance, you would see a very nice exhibition and we would be able to donate even more money to railway preservation good causes.  You might also find a few people there who could tell you more about what it is.  Then again, you might not  .  .  .  .

Edited by devonseasider
  • Like 2

Not sure about that - there have never been any trains at Dartmouth station!

My bad! It was of course Kingswear Station on the Dart Valley Railway!  Comes of posting too late at night. :-)

In the opening of "The French Lieutenant's Woman" Meryl Streep stands on the Cob at Lyme Regis,  wearing a black dress in the style of 1867, looking out to sea. She also plays the actress who plays that character, in John Fowles post modern masterpiece.  The book opens with a poem by Thomas Hardy called - The Riddle.

Back to the plot, been looking at the Oxford Diecast web site and surprising how big their range is. Their history, as mentioned above, is interesting as well. What happened to die cast models generally, with changes of ownership and the move of production to China, reflects what happened to model railway manufacture.

I cannot see the picture becoming any clearer with the days, and as the mistyness could be smoke, could this not be a smokescreen.

They say they are producing '00' railways, but not which scale and seeing 0n30 runs on 16.5 gauge track it could be a Welsh Narrow Gauge prototype in 7mm scale.  Say a Double Fairlie?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi All,

Well my little riddle seems to have given a little fun.

Thanks for your comment Railroadbill.

To decode the riddle:

The harbour wall in Lyme Regis is called The Cob and the causeway between Porthmadoc and Boston Lodge works is called The Cob

Axminster (carpets) are not, unlike Wilton in Wiltshire.

So there you are.

I'm sure much frothing will continue just like on the Great British Locomotives thread.

Regards

Carpet manufacture in Axminster ceased for a number of years after the original factory, founded by Thomas Whitty, was destroyed by fire.

It was later revived in new premises by Mr Harry Dutfield but, during the intervening period, carpets bearing the Axminster brand continued to be produced in Wilton.

The Lyme Regis branch used to pass quite close to the current factory.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Highland Railway 103 - no doubt whatsoever - what with that smokebox, lum and frames you can see so far.....

I think the chimney looks far too tall and skinny for it to be No.103.

It definitely looks more like an Adams stovepipe to me and the upper frame profile matches a lot of his work too.

However, the LSWR wasn't the only railway William Adams worked for...........

John

Hi all     Anyone who thinks the picture, so far, looks like a HR 103 needs to go to specsavers and change their rose tinted distance glasses  for clear reading ones. Please take a bus or taxi or get someone else to drive you as you are probably a danger to other road users. Suggest a quick look on Google at images of the HR loco with your new glasses will make things clear enough. Then have a look at the Radial pictures before they got Drummond chimneys.

I can't see any references to Axminster carpets or the Cob in the poem so am not sure why that has been brought up but clearly the  Lyme Regis branch has major connections to the last 3 Radials,  I just wonder if they will produce a 2 car set  to run with it   Hornby's Maunsell undeframes would do with two new bodies and ends, perhaps someone is already commissioning Hornby to do just that. However the Radials had already received Drummond chimneys and other changes.  Those loaned to the HR were only there for about a year or three but it does give the excuse !!     adrianbs

• Like 2

If they are building a Patriot at Llangollen could the 'reveal' date have any significance? The 9th is Remembrance Sunday remember. 

Possible, the picture is wrong for a patriot front end

It would also be wrong for a Claughton front end which was the LNWR Memorial Engine

What other memorial engines there were for other companies I do not know so would other people care to froth?

David

• RMweb Gold

It would also be wrong for a Claughton front end which was the LNWR Memorial Engine

What other memorial engines there were for other companies I do not know so would other people care to froth?

David

Well, it's definitely NOT a Brighton Baltic tank!!!!!!!

John

David

The LBSC one was 4-6-4T  L class  No. 333   "Remembrance".  Impressive loco but don't think that fits the picture...

Just seen Dunsignalling's post #300 above, just beat me to it!!

Edited by railroadbill

• RMweb Premium

Adams Radial No 486 was involved in an accident fatal to the crew in August 1888. It was later allocated to the Lyme Regis Branch and withdrawn in 1928.

Perusal of the Bradley volune on The Adams Classes reveals no reference to any other loco with that front end arrangement being involved in such an accident.

Perhaps somebody at Oxford Diecast is related to the driver?

That's my guess.

Pete

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi all     Anyone who thinks the picture, so far, looks like a HR 103 needs to go to specsavers and change their rose tinted distance glasses  for clear reading ones. Please take a bus or taxi or get someone else to drive you as you are probably a danger to other road users. Suggest a quick look on Google at images of the HR loco with your new glasses will make things clear enough. Then have a look at the Radial pictures before they got Drummond chimneys.

I can't see any references to Axminster carpets or the Cob in the poem so am not sure why that has been brought up but clearly the  Lyme Regis branch has major connections to the last 3 Radials,  I just wonder if they will produce a 2 car set  to run with it   Hornby's Maunsell undeframes would do with two new bodies and ends, perhaps someone is already commissioning Hornby to do just that. However the Radials had already received Drummond chimneys and other changes.  Those loaned to the HR were only there for about a year or three but it does give the excuse !!     adrianbs

How about making some positive suggestions rather than flinging insults at folk - or is this just another "I know better than everyone else" post?