'Slancote' - Garden Shed OO - LINE CLOSED

Joe MCMLXI

LINE CLOSED - DUE TO HOUSE MOVE

Hi, having been on RMweb for several years now, I felt it time to give a brief outline of my on going build of a layout that resides in a Garden shed - 'Slancote'.

I've enjoyed reading many topics and been given loads of information and help from various members on the Forum, so its only fair to see where that sharing of knowledge has got me!

The shed is only 8 x 7 and once insulated and lined is a fair bit smaller....

The layout was started with only a pencil sketch of what features I thought I would like, as, at the time my only stock was a much modified Triang Blue Pullman, a Wrenn 8F and a lot of P.O wagons I had collected ( predominantly Derbyshire / S.Yorkshire / Nottinghamshire collieries ) - so a bit of a mish-mash really!

Having built some boards around the sides and made a lifting out section near the door ( the shed is in full use for Mountain bikes, snow tyres ( very useful in the HIgh Peak winter!), Mower, Strimmer, Garden tools and various other items of clutter) - I started to evolve a plan..... this was the position around 2011 ( i think )

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq267/tidzaboy/Garden%20Shed%20Railway/General1.jpg

I was making a upper level single track circuit, with passing loop, two corner 'scenes' one, with C&HPR buildings and siding, the other with a 'Cement' theme.

The lower level circuit is single track, with 3 hidden loops for storage. A connecting incline links the two. The lower level also contains the 'colliery washery' area with several sidings.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq267/tidzaboy/Garden%20Shed%20Railway/General2.jpg

Control is by 3 Gaugemaster Panel mount  controllers, a single for the Upper and a twin for the lower circuit / colliery ....... so in theory, I can have two trains circulating on upper and lower levels, leaving me with the 3rd to shunt the 'colliery'

All is Code 100 Peco track and points - unfortunately to get the plan and storage loop length I wanted, I ended up using curved set-track points! Looking back now, this was a bad decision.... 

joe

to be continued.......

Edited by Joe MCMLXI
  • Like 4

Pt III

'Slancote' - where's that?

I wanted a name that was local to me, but that was not an actual 'place', as the layout is purely fictitious, so it comes from an old farm lane that runs through the field at the back of my house.

I love the charm of the old C&HPR and used to work at a factory that still had some of the rails still visible inside. I walked and cycled it many times.

The old Midland main line around Bakewell was a playground for us in the Seventies, we drove various motorbikes and occasional car through the tunnels!, before they were blocked off with gates.

So, I wanted to try and get a bit of everything on my layout - its definitely not for the purists! 

Current stock;  as always too much!

Freight loco's; Garratt, 9F's, 8F's, WD's G2's, 04, 01, 7F,4F's, 3F's.       all Early BR emblems. Here's a few of them, where the Washery building normally sits.

Locos3_zps4b52e486.jpg

C&HPR;  NLR 0-6-0's & 'Chopper' 2-4-0, J94's

NLR0-6-01_zps845a7ad9.jpg

For the passengers around Slancote;   Bachmann Blue Pullman and CL108   DMU's

Freight wagons consist of around 130 P.O coal & mineral wagons, several GEM and D&S LNWR brake vans.

brakevans_zpsafe99492.jpg

So as you can see, stock and loco's from several different era's..... but I mainly just like to run freight loco's.

The 'Blue Pullman' I remember seeing travelling up the Wye valley, from Coombes viaduct, all the way past the golf course and through Bakewell station.... I lived on the opposite side of the valley in Bakewell and can remember it well.

I need to create a plan of the layout and then a video to put it all in context.......

joe

to be continued...

• Like 12

Having promised a video, here it is.

This is the current position with the layout.....

The video starts with a CL108 2-car DMU passing over the upper circuit single track viaduct on the lift out section. It meets  a 4F (43842 - 9D Buxton) with a small rake of empty mineral wagons. I was fortunate to be able to buy the CL108, after the passing away of the great modeller, Dave Shakespeare, his Tetley Mills layouts was the inspiration for me to get my buildings, rolling stock and loco's  weathered. Thank you Dave. 

As it passes into the cutting, the 'C&HPR' flavour shed can be seen - with 'Chopper' 2-4-0 58092 & CL03 D2383 - 17D Derby 'on shed'.

We then see another C&HPR loco, 58850 17D Rowsley, waiting in the siding with the Inspection Saloon, above the cutting. Further round, we come to the 'Cement' corner, on the upper circuit, where J94, 68006 17D Rowsley, can be seen with a few Blue Circle PresFlow wagons, Blue Circle vans can also be seen in the loading shed.

The mineral train reappears and passes through the Colliery junction ( past my recently built LNWR signal - not wired in yet, so is still showing a 'Stop') and  under the girder overbridge into the 'Station' - basically the end of the platforms. I've just purchased some 'Grand Junction' LNWR station panels and intend to make a representation of some station buildings that will be viewed if you look under the bridge.

We pass further round to see the colliery 'Washery', where 3F's, 43274 & 43842 both of 9D Buxton, along with J94, 68034 17D Rowsley, can be seen playing with some rakes of P.O wagons.

Behind the backscene, are three storage loops for the lower circuit and also the connection to the incline that leads up to the upper circuit. The upper circuit continues on an embankment above the washery.

We finally complete the circuit, the upper circuit crosses the exit from the lower circuit storage loops, on a plate girder bridge, before both cross over the valley on the stone viaducts.......

still a fair way to go, I have lots of detailing now to do, yard lights, fencing and gates,  walkway for the signal box etc etc...... all good fun!

joe

• Like 6

Hi Rob, thanks for your interest..

the 'lever frames' are Hornby Yellow levers, but I modify them a bit internally. I had to do this because of the way I operate my point solenoids. I use std  'Black' Hornby levers for isolating sections.

I have two lever frames, one for the upper circuit points, the other for the 'Colliery' area.

The 'Colliery' controller panel also has (4) push buttons, to change the points ( via a Diode matrix ) for the (3) storage loops or for the incline (1) to the upper level.

Each Peco point solenoid is operated by an individual CDU, built on a little bit of pcb. I found this method on the internet a few years ago, as it reduces slightly the amount of wiring - I think.

It needs an ON - ON switch to operate the solenoid via the small CDU. But this means you do not have to worry about burning out a coil, that would happen if a switch contact sticks, if you use the conventional 'Momentary' contact switch.

The std  'Yellow' Hornby lever gives an ON - ON action, but uses a common supply through the central pivot, the circuit I use, needs the supply from the central pivot to be kept separate from its neighbours - a bit of modification was required.

these photo's should help understand what I did.... first an internal shot of a modified lever, I prefer soldered connections for the outputs, the pivot wire supply had to be soldered as well......

Levermod6.jpg

This then shows the interconnecting pin being cut off, to keep it isolated from its neighbours...........

Levermod3.jpg

Basic solenoid / lever / mini CDU pcb set up

Levermod7-1.jpg

I hope this is info that answers your questions..... feel free to ask many more!

joe

• Like 1

Hi Rob,

you are right, they were Yellow, but got a quick coat of Brown spray. 

The levers for the upper circuit are set in a Balsa wood 'floor', again sprayed Brown, 

Track plan ?  Hmmm

This is the best I have at present......... it's a bit basic! But should give a better idea of what's seen in the video.

Shedtrackplan.jpg

cheers

joe

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi Joe, what a great little layout in such a small space without feeling crowded. I used to live within a stone's throw of the Ashbourne-Buxton line and the C&HPR and you are capturing the feel of it well. I would love to find a use for the Grand Junction panels but I'm firmly Midland. Perhaps a diorama of Parsley Hay one day?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

well,  its been awhile since my last posting.... so a quick update.

Still trying to finish off some brass signals, have started to fit some yard lamps in the washery sidings, I've had them awhile. so not sure what brand they are, but nicely made from brass tube etc.

yard%20lamp%201_zpstvvrnds5.jpg

I've several to plant, held up by 'Blutac' so I don't damage them if caught when track cleaning etc. They're wired to tiny 2 pin plugs. so they can be removed if required.

yard%20lamp%202_zps4v8jjhou.jpg

I've bought a small 12Vdc power supply to run them on.

Some may notice a A4 'Mallard' in the background - a Hornby Live Steam loco I bought a couple of months ago,  well thats the next project, to convert the top circuit to 'LiveSteam' control. Once that is done, I have pencilled in a possible out and back into the garden! to give it a good run..... but that's for the future...

cheers

joe

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

End of Aug update....... The Live Steam bug is starting to bite!

I have separated all the common return feeds for the upper circuit and yesterday made the first run with my Hornby LS Mallard. The train consisted of 10 x Airfix Blue Circle wagons and a GEM LNWR 6 wheel brake van. Not your normal A4 consist ! I have a small rake of Mk1 coaches, but these are currently away being weathered, so wagons it had to be.

The first runs were quite successful, but the Mallard is a bit of a flyer, especially on the down hill sections. My layout is not the flatest, having a 1 in 40 up the Viaduct and a 1 in 110 down around the back of the washery..... ok for DC, but quite interesting for Live Steam control!

a couple of video clips to show the action..... joe

http://vid454.photobucket.com/albums/qq267/tidzaboy/Garden%20Shed%20Railway/LS%20shed%201st%20run%20over%20Viaduct%20V3_zpsetkcl8qb.mp4

http://vid454.photobucket.com/albums/qq267/tidzaboy/Garden%20Shed%20Railway/LS%20shed%201st%20run%20up%20Viaduct%20from%20outside%20good_zps0cwou1my.mp4

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

December update.....

The postman delivered some new stock to 'Slancote', commissioned items to help raise money for the Bagnall Locomotive Group...

firstly;

D%20Bowne%20amp%20Shaw%20II_zps2i0churo.

and also;

D%20Taylor%20Frith%20II_zpsfyyuqtk2.jpg

the plastic loads will have to be changed to look more realistic, but otherwise good 'local' stock for my area

cheers

joe

• Like 3

Hi Andrew, thanks for the likes. I'm always looking for ideas and info on the forum, so think it only fair I should let people know what i'm doing..... Just been reading through your 'Trewenn' thread, which is going to make an excellent extension to what is a very comprehensive layout..... the flowing curves look great.

I must try to master 'MS Paint', as your layout plans really look good, far better than my 'MS Word' offering !!

cheers

joe 

• 11 months later...

Heck, time flies..... so a quick update from the Peak District .....

The Hornby Live Steam bug has bit hard!.... several loco's now reside for running on the adapted top circuit. DC can still be used, as I've put in a socket, so that either system can be plugged in.

Normal DC has not been forgotten, and recently, I have purchased Hornby's Q6 0-8-0 and Heljan's 02/04 2-8-0, still love the heavy freight locomotives.

But back to the Live steam....

This shows 'Dwight D Eisenhower' with a small rake of MK1's ( apologies for the coach formation, something I need to study ! )

http://vid454.photobucket.com/albums/qq267/tidzaboy/Garden%20Shed%20Railway/2016%20DDE%20amp%20DMU%20Sept_zpsi6p3enfs.mp4

Flying Scotsman has also been seen running recently....

http://vid454.photobucket.com/albums/qq267/tidzaboy/Garden%20Shed%20Railway/FS%20amp%207on%20Viaduct_zpsgvskzi0y.mp4

For those with past experience of Hornbys Live Steam, who struggled with the original supplied controller, well things have moved on greatly. The 'OO Live Steam Club' have introduced a add on device ( called 'Live Drive'), to remove the several second delay, that was built into the Hornby system. It works a treat, giving instant control of the regulator.....

The add on, is built into a small box, seen as the silver box, fastened to the side of the layout in this picture. Control is then from the small Black hand set that plugs in..... it totally transforms control of these loco's....control of the regulator can still be done from the original Hornby controller, but once you've tried ' Live Drive' you'll never go back!

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq267/tidzaboy/Garden%20Shed%20Railway/A4s%20Mallard%20and%20DDE_zps0tahiuif.jpg

Its great fun and the sound and vapour trails on a cool day, certainly bring a different element to my layout.....

joe

Edited by Joe MCMLXI
  • Like 2