Diesel Hydraulic Era O Gauge Garden Railway (Steve Beattie Class 22)

Phill

No ( or rather not so far). I have found it difficult to post photos on this site! Addittionally I have encountered nothing but trouble with my outside track with movement both of the rails and the timber sub structure. As an example the bridge unit which goes across the garden path last yar was a tight fit in the slot where it lives. This year there is almost a 3/4 inch gap which I conclude has arisen due to the wood drying out whilst it has been stored overwinter in the garage. I have also had issues with track expansion so much so that I am in the process of relaying it in an effort to get a better ruling radius. Ho hum!

I read that you use the Red Arrow equipment. A local frend who has an extensive line uses this and is very happy with it. It is a trifle expensive if you have as I do, several locos to fit up. So far I have not made any move on the control kit but I am watching developments with interest. I do feel that this is the way to go and that DCC is only an expensive step along that way. For diesels the missing link is sound and I am sure this facility will soon be available on battery power systems. The other issue is that HJ diesels are often current hungry though this can be reduced by removing one motor from the drive system.

Anyway I am grateful to you for your postings and the encouragemant that they provide. One day I will be up there with you!

Regards

Martin

Martin,

If you PM me I will do my best to help you with photos.

Hi Martin,

I have used  Phenolic Ply & Tanalised timber without issues(although some friends have used fake Phonelic Ply with disastrous results). I am a happy user of the Red Arrow R/C system although I too would like some sound from my loco's at some stage.

I hope you can overcome your photo posting issues (perhaps the Mods can help?) as your line sounds very interesting & I would love to see it.

All the best

Phill 

And even some marine and exterior plys too!

ATVB

CME

Hi Martin,

I am one of Phill's friends that has had the disasterous results. So if you opt for the Phenolic ply then please make sure it is the proper stuff. Although the stuff i used was from a reputable timber merchants and had " quality premium " printed on it. :O .

I have now used Medite Tricoya which is exterior MDF. Yes i know that just doesnt sound right but it seems to be ok so far. The first lot of boards have been out since September of last year and "touch wood" there havent been any problems.

I too use the Red Arrow equipment. IMO it is definately the way to go for out door use. No wiring of track, no electrical maintainence outside. I only have a bubblecar and a western that are R/C fitted at the moment but later in the year should see another western and a peak done.

I too look forward to seeing your garden railway, so hope you sort the posting pics problem.

Rob.    Beee Barrrp Happy Modelling. :boast:

Yesterday was spent plotting the course of the new viaduct using 7ft as my minimum radius which has worked out quite nicely....

post-6992-0-89976300-1434112049_thumb.jpg

I also spent time patch painting D1041 Western Prince & Glazing D1054 Western Governor which are now converted to radio control.......

post-6992-0-20317600-1434112104.jpg

Phill   :)

Edited by Phill Dyson (onslaught832)
  • Like 10

Hi Martin,

I am one of Phill's friends that has had the disasterous results. So if you opt for the Phenolic ply then please make sure it is the proper stuff. Although the stuff i used was from a reputable timber merchants and had " quality premium " printed on it. :O .

I have now used Medite Tricoya which is exterior MDF. Yes i know that just doesnt sound right but it seems to be ok so far. The first lot of boards have been out since September of last year and "touch wood" there havent been any problems.

I too use the Red Arrow equipment. IMO it is definately the way to go for out door use. No wiring of track, no electrical maintainence outside. I only have a bubblecar and a western that are R/C fitted at the moment but later in the year should see another western and a peak done.

I too look forward to seeing your garden railway, so hope you sort the posting pics problem.

Rob.    Beee Barrrp Happy Modelling. :boast:

The newest version of exterior MDF, is pricey and guaranteed for 25 years!

We have now used best quality Marine ply sealed with SBR and Wickes wax based proofer.

Hope that helps...

I would go for  Medite Tricoya / Tanalised timber combination in future  in view of Rob's experiences with fake Phonelic.......wooden bridges are absolutely fine if truly weatherproof materials are used :)

Phill  :locomotive: 

My time again? I would use, Filcris products, expensive (ie with delivery costs) but worth it in the longer run, there was a time when timber quality was better and costs lower, yet those days are gone now.

Lovely work BTW Phill.

ATVB to one and all,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Hi Phill,

Looks like you are getting some nice weather over there. The viaduct is going to be a monster, looking forwards to seeing the build. I really like that Maroon Western too, any news on the Rat?

Cheers Peter.

Thanks chaps for the support voiced above. I wonder if you users of the Red Arrow system could answer a few simple questions for an old duffer like me.

1. How many locos can one Red Arrow control unit take? ( I assume it is 99 but stand to be corrected)

2. How does Red Arrow cope with two user controls? I would want to have one looking after the garden bit and one (or more) for shunting the station area?

3. Has anyone sucessfully introduced Red Arrow to a hunky and amp thirsty Heljan model?

4. Has anyone managed sound with a Read Arrow system? (I would like to have sound on my locos as I feel for diesels it is the ultimate feature apart from the rather silly hooter which users sound off at every opportunity!)

Martin Long

Hi Martin,

I don't think there is a limit beyond the tree digit display.

As many as you want....we have used three at once, but as many as are available.

Heljans have to have their ridiculous power consumption reduced or you have to live with shorter running times between charges.

I would love sound too, but not available on Red Arrow yet.

Phill :)

Hi Phill,

Looks like you are getting some nice weather over there. The viaduct is going to be a monster, looking forwards to seeing the build. I really like that Maroon Western too, any news on the Rat?

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Glad you like the Westerns, the Rat is all over Rail Blue at the moment. I have used JLTRT Cellulose so I'm giving it plenty of time to harden before the cellulose yellow ends go on.

Phill :)

Hi Martin.

You can programme up to 99 loco's with any one hand unit. But for example if there are two people operating with seperate hand units then you have to make sure they are not controlling the same number ( if  number 06 is in use by say controller 1 then there cant be another loco that has been programmed 06 being used or both will function at the same time.)

Another example lets say ; I could take any of my locos that are R/C to anyone else's layout and operate with my hand unit . Just have to make sure that there are'nt two loco's with the same programmed number. ( Each hand unit, and they all operate the same , can programme/operate from 01 to 99. It doesnt matter how many hand units are being used but again no two locos with the same programme number can operate at the same time.)

So if there are several friends going to be operating then just check what numbers are being used. 

Hope this helps.

Rob

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Phill,

Very nice.

May I ask why Myspacebook and getting down with the kids LOL!?

Seriously though, is it easier to Post videos and photos than splitting up such across eg. You Tube and here?

ATVB

CME

I have a dedicated Facebook page for Ranelagh Bridge and it's a very good platform, I follow different magazines web sites and I'm involved with a few different pages as admins. It's a great source of information. I was invited to join an old oak common driver & fire mans club when a few of them found my page and I've had loads of use full info off them. You have to cut through some rubbish but that's easy enough to do.

Im following the Withercombe branch on there and today I went to visit a friend at his new house who is about to embark on a garden railway so the first thing we did was sit on a bench watching your videos. Plenty of inspiration for him.

• Like 2

I have a dedicated Facebook page for Ranelagh Bridge and it's a very good platform, I follow different magazines web sites and I'm involved with a few different pages as admins. It's a great source of information. I was invited to join an old oak common driver & fire mans club when a few of them found my page and I've had loads of use full info off them. You have to cut through some rubbish but that's easy enough to do.

Im following the Withercombe branch on there and today I went to visit a friend at his new house who is about to embark on a garden railway so the first thing we did was sit on a bench watching your videos. Plenty of inspiration for him.

Couldn't agree more with Steve, I have had nothing but positives from Facebook & there are some great railway & model railway groups :).......the armchair to modeler ratio is great too, which is quite refreshing for me! 

I might seek some 'hand-holding' advice from you chaps then, sounds like a positive experience.

Phill, what did you mean by armchair modeller ratio?

ATVB,

CME

• Like 1

This weekend I have been @rsing around with Lima O gauge MK1's :O

First job was to some of Sean's excellent  Easybuild bogies :good_mini:  .....

post-6992-0-14568200-1436212573.jpg

I then did a batch of equally good Easybuild etch windows for some of my tarted up Lima Mk1's, not taken a pic with the frames fitted yet, but here is a pic of a Lima fitted with Three Cee's overlays & Easbuild Commonwealths, but  awaiting the frames...

post-6992-0-26727200-1436212586.jpg

Phill  :senile:

• Like 6

Armchair Modeler  = Non modelers who frequent forums  

Modelers = those who actually build model railways 

Phill  :good:

Hi Phill,

Thanks - just needed to hear your definition.....

With Easybuild window frames.

Before......

attachicon.gif20150704_155857.jpg

After......

attachicon.gif20150707_120156-001.jpg

Phill  :)

Nice work Phill....I like those window frames too, I have used them - and several bogie sets - since EZBuild introduced them, thoroughly recommended, a real boon!

Kindest,

CME