Diesel Hydraulic Era O Gauge Garden Railway (Steve Beattie Class 22)

Made a start on my favourite part of any build.........the weathering  :locomotive:

All four Motorail Flats have now beaten to a pulp with this lot............ 

post-6992-0-58252300-1459360629_thumb.jpg

I have used : Slaters Mek/Plastic Weld/Fibreglass Stick/Fibreglass Pen/P80 Glass Paper/Toothbrush & a Make up Brush.

Next they will be assaulted with dirty black & track grime paints...........

post-6992-0-62712200-1459360645_thumb.jpg 

Edited by Phill Dyson (onslaught832)
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Hello Phil,

Those motorail carflats look lovely.  I remember on the WCML at Roade in the late 70s seeing (what I assume were) motorail trains with Cartic-4s.  Were the Carflats more associated with the South West services?  Or was it just that I didn't see them?

Also, when they were converted from coaches were the underframe boxes etc removed?  Were the lever handbrakes fitted at that time?  If it's not too much trouble is there any chance of a pic of the underside of one of yours please?

cheers

Ben A.

Hello Phil,

Those motorail carflats look lovely.  I remember on the WCML at Roade in the late 70s seeing (what I assume were) motorail trains with Cartic-4s.  Were the Carflats more associated with the South West services?  Or was it just that I didn't see them?

Also, when they were converted from coaches were the underframe boxes etc removed?  Were the lever handbrakes fitted at that time?  If it's not too much trouble is there any chance of a pic of the underside of one of yours please?

cheers

Ben A.

The Carflats were pretty well universal; in season they worked the majority of Motorail services, and out of season, they were used on trade car deliveries. The Cartic-4s were much more limited in scope. There were no battery boxes and so on underneath, as there were no lights. The handbrake levers (wheels on some vehicles, I believe) were a post-conversion feature; I can't think of any passenger-carrying vehicle that would have had them. These are really nice models; they need a nice mix of cars to set them off. From the photos I've seen, and the trains I remember, Motorail was quite 'democratic' in terms of types of vehicle conveyed.

Hello Phil,

cheers

Ben A.

The PO Cartics, including the few that BR had built for them, were mostly used for car delivery work where the ports, factories etc had either permanent or mobile two level loading facilities. http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/carramp  BR didn't use them so much at their stations for Motorail, although Kensington certainly had two height loading. This may have been because the Cartics restricted the height of what could be carried to cars - easy enough for factory and port loadings, whereas the flats meant that higher private vehicles could be carried.

Lots on my website

Paul

• 1 month later...

Just a brief update on what has been happening at Withercombe if anyone is interested?

The wagon fleet has had some new editions, the two in the group pic require further work, but I'm happy with the plank wagon in  the  single pic...

post-6992-0-28780100-1462646557.jpg

post-6992-0-11224000-1462646567_thumb.jpg

& work on the deviation route has begun, the original line will be lifted once the new route is fully operational........

post-6992-0-85508000-1462646538_thumb.jpg

post-6992-0-66935800-1462646525_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Hi Phil,

The work on the deviation route looks great and will make a really nice addition to the existing route.  I'm guessing there is a viaduct or bridge to be added too?

Cheers

Lee

Yes Lee, that's right....although I am undecided as yet as to what kind of viaduct or method of construction at the moment .

Yes Lee, that's right....although I am undecided as yet as to what kind of viaduct or method of construction at the moment .

Hand built viaduct, in scale size pieces of stone with mortar :D   That'll keep you busy for a while

With all this nice sunny weather we're having are you not going to send a Warship or two around the line.... even light engine perhaps?????

Cheers

Lee

Edited by HealeyMills

Hi Randy,

Thanks for the kind words & interest :)

I have only just discovered your thread about your experimentation with Bluetooth speakers, I find this fascinating & I am wondering if this is a way forward for me with sound on my battery powered loco's?

Hi Phil,

Any pics from todays locos in the sun?

...going back a bit to your motorail flats, how did you weather the bogies and underframes?

Cheers

Lee

No Lee,  trains were indeed running but no new pics I'm afraid.

The Motorails Easybuild bogies are just  sprayed black & then blown over again with the usual 'Track Grime'.

No Lee,  trains were indeed running but no new pics I'm afraid.

The Motorails Easybuild bogies are just  sprayed black & then blown over again with the usual 'Track Grime'.

Ah, that's simple.... I think even I can manage that!!!  It looks very effective.

Here's one I took earlier though.......

attachicon.gif1-CDM.JPG

Nice... very nice.  Hope you managed to have an enjoyable day yesterday, I guess not having to stop and take piccies makes it more enjoyable.... just get on and run trains!!!

Cheers

Lee

Nice... very nice.  Hope you managed to have an enjoyable day yesterday, I guess not having to stop and take piccies makes it more enjoyable.... just get on and run trains!!!

Cheers

Lee

Yes that's it in a nutshell really Lee, I tend to either run trains or photographs them.

I managed to tidy up the line ready for a long summer (hopefully) while trains passed me by.

I am beginning to formulate a plan in my mind for the viaduct/bridge too!

• Like 3

Hi Phill, I've just come across this thread this evening and it's held my interest way into the wee small hours.  Fascinating stuff and I really love the photos in outdoor sunlight.  Great modelling and lovely DH diesels to drool over!  Thanks so much for sharing.