Croydon North Street - NSE 3rd Rail 1980s/90s

Pete 75C

Colour me unsurprised you lucky *$^! Daz.  Right up your street I guess being NSE.

If I'd have had some money available at the time, I'd have put an offer in but I'm glad it's gone to a worthy opponent.  Will you exhibit it, or just keep it at home?

You know, with a small converter board, it would make a lovely terminus as part of a modular setup ...

Good on you Daz,

It looks like a great layout. Pete has done a top job. looking forwards to seeing some of your stock on there.

Hi Pete, that NSE HST looks really cool. Pity they didn't do one.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Darren, so you are the lucky one! Great purchase, right up your street!

47573 looks right at home!

As has been said previously, Pete has made a truly fantastic layout and by the looks of it, CRS has gone to the perfect owner.

I look forward to seeing more photos.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Now that North Street has been with Daz for a good few months and following on from the news that he has some exhibition invites lined up, I've had a little time to reflect on what I should do next. North Street was probably pretty much the right size for me and BR(S)/NSE spot on as my "era of choice"... with that in mind, I'm working on a slightly longer revised track plan for a Mk2. There won't be any extended freight-only line and trackwork is likely to be long radius Tillig with Exactoscale concrete sleepers. In place of the low-relief depot at the right-hand end, there will be perhaps 3 carriage servicing/stabling platforms. It won't be called "Croydon something" as I'd like to make it a more generic NSE layout and not be confined by what would or wouldn't have run on the Central Division. It will be an 18" wide end-to-end again but split into 4ft sections to increase portability and with more fiddle yard storage roads. My big mistake with the recently departed West Croydon layout was that I didn't have room for a 5ft wide roundy but I went ahead anyway. 18-20" width I can live with. Scenically, I'd like to push myself a little and get outside of my comfort zone... a full lighting rig will also be planned from the beginning. Tempted by DCC sound and control will be with a Roco Multimaus system. I have an N gauge itch that I'm currently scratching and I have a self-imposed rule that I never have two layouts on the go at one time, but the ply and softwood for the baseboards might accidentally fall into the back of the van on the next trip to Wickes. The big move abroad is not likely to be until mid-2017 so there's little chance of me going "cold-turkey" and not having a layout on the go in the meantime!

I don't really want to keep posting indefinitely on this thread as NSE DAZ now owns the original North Street (thread here) but thought it worth a bump to outline my plans. Once the boards are built, the track laid and a name thought up, I'll start a new thread.

Edit: Nearly forgot... Croydon North Street will be in BRM perhaps by the end of this year. Andy Y took the photos a while back and I've only just got around to writing the text. I hated school and never was any good at essays... that's why it took me so long!

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 9

18" wide boards are great - they're compatible with the UK "modular" standards... fine having a terminus, if the "other end" of the layout has a single or double track at the correct position and spacing to be compatible then you're very welcome to join in with the modular fun.

If it's not in the right place ... it's simple enough to make a small converter board :)

• Like 1

Now that North Street has been with Daz for a good few months and following on from the news that he has some exhibition invites lined up, I've had a little time to reflect on what I should do next. North Street was probably pretty much the right size for me and BR(S)/NSE spot on as my "era of choice"... with that in mind, I'm working on a slightly longer revised track plan for a Mk2. There won't be any extended freight-only line and trackwork is likely to be long radius Tillig with Exactoscale concrete sleepers. In place of the low-relief depot at the right-hand end, there will be perhaps 3 carriage servicing/stabling platforms. It won't be called "Croydon something" as I'd like to make it a more generic NSE layout and not be confined by what would or wouldn't have run on the Central Division. It will be an 18" wide end-to-end again but split into 4ft sections to increase portability and with more fiddle yard storage roads. My big mistake with the recently departed West Croydon layout was that I didn't have room for a 5ft wide roundy but I went ahead anyway. 18-20" width I can live with. Scenically, I'd like to push myself a little and get outside of my comfort zone... a full lighting rig will also be planned from the beginning. Tempted by DCC sound and control will be with a Roco Multimaus system. I have an N gauge itch that I'm currently scratching and I have a self-imposed rule that I never have two layouts on the go at one time, but the ply and softwood for the baseboards might accidentally fall into the back of the van on the next trip to Wickes. The big move abroad is not likely to be until mid-2017 so there's little chance of me going "cold-turkey" and not having a layout on the go in the meantime!

I don't really want to keep posting indefinitely on this thread as NSE DAZ now owns the original North Street (thread here) but thought it worth a bump to outline my plans. Once the boards are built, the track laid and a name thought up, I'll start a new thread.

Edit: Nearly forgot... Croydon North Street will be in BRM perhaps by the end of this year. Andy Y took the photos a while back and I've only just got around to writing the text. I hated school and never was any good at essays... that's why it took me so long!

Sounds good Pete - You cant beat the NSE days you know it makes sense!!

I will start saving now ready for another purchase ha ha.

Good luck with this new venture.

All the best 

Darren NSE DAZ

• Like 4

Sounds good Pete - You cant beat the NSE days you know it makes sense!!

I will start saving now ready for another purchase ha ha.

Good luck with this new venture.

All the best 

Darren NSE DAZ

I think you must have too many layouts by now, no? I think it should stay closest to the real location but I would say that at just under 4 miles according to google.  :blind:

Edited by pauln

• 4 months later...

That Leyland Titan really needs a new set of blinds. 119 ?

You're absolutely right. It was a classic example of something plonked straight from the box for the photos. That is the one thing that I miss about North Street... even with the layout built and working well, there were so many little details that could have been put right. I had 154 or 157 in mind for the Leyland Titan, although in all honesty, a Daimler DMS would have been better! I'll hang onto the current layout a little longer and try and get some of those details right.

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Sorry, missed this question. I believe so - I recall she became Penny Evans after a time! Gill also married a Mark, but I can't recall the surname, who was a route manager at Sealink, Eversholt Street.

Holy thread resurrection Batman. Apologies.

Just looking through this great layout thread, and can confirm that yes, Pennie Bellas did marry Mark Evans, I'm their son!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Holy thread resurrection Batman. Apologies.

Just looking through this great layout thread, and can confirm that yes, Pennie Bellas did marry Mark Evans, I'm their son!

Crikey! That's taken me back a few years! I couldn't say I knew your parents well, but we were all members of an occasional social club. I think I may recall a newspaper article some years later, with your mother - by then working at The Grove, Watford? - admitting to driving a Golf GTI and thus being a yuppie!

• RMweb Premium

Ha, yes, that's right, she did. Golfs ran deep, there's always been at least one on the drive since they got married. My dad still drives a GTI (as do I), and he also has a 1985 GTI cabriolet and an R32. My mum's gone to Jaguar though, for shame.

Small world, although perhaps unsurprising given the subject of the forum that someone would know them.

• 2 years later...