Croydon North Street - NSE 3rd Rail 1980s/90s

Pete 75C

Slightly random question - were did you get the curly lead for the NCE Powercab?

Many thanks

Purley?

There was a young lady from Purley

who sold me a lead that was curly... :lol:

DCC Supplies I think. I got the Powercab cradle from there as well. I found myself tripping over the flat lead as it was longer than I needed.

Edit: Yep - just checked: https://www.dccsupplies.com/item-p-102834/curly-cable-nce-power-cab-1-5m-6-wire.htm

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 1

Pete,

Looks very good hard to believe that post 1 was 26 september 2014 with only the track in place and wired on the boards. Amazing progress given Christmas and everything else I between.

When you get back to modelling can I suggest you review the post supporting the station totem this would be approximately 150 square (Similar to a lamppost in width)

hope you get to run some trains

I particularly like the platform extension.

attachicon.gifScreen shot 2015-01-09 at 14.20.19.png

Graham.

I must confess that the view you selected is my favourite too!

Looks very good hard to believe that post 1 was 26 september 2014 with only the track in place and wired on the boards. Amazing progress given Christmas and everything else I between.

When you get back to modelling can I suggest you review the post supporting the station totem this would be approximately 150 square (Similar to a lamppost in width)

Aha. You spotted the "whippy" station sign! I knew when I installed it that the support was way too thin (it's just handrail wire) but what I didn't realise was that every time I got within six feet of the layout, the entire sign would wobble around like Zebedee on acid... The support is only a push-fit into a tiny hole in the baseboard, so I will get around to wrapping it with some hollow brass tube of a suitable diameter. Maybe if I enlarge the baseboard hole and glue it, that will work. Well spotted!

Pete

Really looks good. It needs to go out on show. So to finish it even for use at home my suggestion would be

attachicon.gifCroydon Framed.jpg

Dave, the trestles do go up to that height, so when I get a chance, I'll raise the boards to see how that works. The height the layout is now suited me when I was leaning over it and working on it, but now that it's pretty much done, raising the whole thing sounds like a good idea.

• Like 1

I do like the higher track bed, for that nearly eye level view :)

Good point. The more I think about it, having looked through all the pictures I've taken, the ones where the camera has been at track level are my favourites. Hmm. Birds eye = bad, track level = good... Yep, the boards do need to be raised.

• Like 4

Great pics Pete.

Particularly like these two though:

post-1525-0-66246500-1420888386.jpg post-1525-0-52048500-1420888393.jpg

a convincing and well executed treatment of an awkward scenic break - BRILLIANT and INSPIRED modelling.

Edited by leopardml2341

Thanks for all your kind comments folks.

I was quite looking forward to an evening in front of the TV last night with a beer or two until my wife reminded me that The Voice was back... Not being that desperate to watch TV, and as I'd been asked to draw up a proper track plan for North Street, I doodled this on the PC... it does go some way to showing how everything ties together on the layout so thought it worth uploading...

post-17811-0-85514400-1420967732_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Hi Pete,

I dropped by your thread some time ago, but tonight I have had a better look through. It's a great layout and the detail is superb. Plus you can't beat a layout with a Crompton kicking about.

Pic below is 33023 stabled at Woking.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-69785400-1420968750.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Very impressive work Pete!

I've been regularly following and adding quite a few "likes" and about time to comment properly.

Everything is nicely weathered and consequently all looks even and coherent.

As mentioned by others any exhibition manager would be pleased to have at a show, just a shame that you are too far from here in North Devon (unless you can tie-in a family holiday!).

A few features that I like are (in no particular order),

The road at the end with buildings on the corners.

The platform extension.

Cribing on second board.

Impression that the scene is larger than it actually is.

Keep up the great work!

• Like 1

HELP!!!

Quick question... I've spent the last day track cleaning and double checking everything works ok as North Street has to be working perfectly by tomorrow (no pressure) and I've hit a couple of snags... Propelling the ballast wagons from the fiddle yard, the very lightweight Seacows were constantly derailing on one set of points. Closer inspection revealed that it wasn't the points but an insulated rail joiner that was sitting a little too high. The Heljan Crompton was staying on-track but the Seacows derailed every time when being propelled. I've sorted that by reseating the joiner using a jeweller's screwdriver, but there's one more little problem that won't go away...

Because I'm an idiot that didn't plan things properly... one set of points sits directly under the road bridge making access a little difficult (I won't do that again). In one direction, the point motor refuses to throw the point blades over far enough causing an occasional derailment when going over the point in the "facing" direction. I've adjusted the point motor laterally underneath the baseboard but no matter what I do, it won't throw far enough in one direction. All I can think of is that the motor itself is playing up and that I might need to replace it. There is no stray ballast, glue or paint stopping the blades from closing and the motor itself feels "tighter" than all the others which makes me think I might need to replace it. Has anyone else experienced something similar? I'm just wondering if I've missed something obvious! I had been led to believe these solenoid motors were pretty indestructible... Thanks, Pete.