Heljan GWR 1366 0-6-0 Pannier Tank

Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Gold

I found it odd Heljan have managed to supply the wrong coupling they are stepped plug in's just change them for straight one's, problem solved.

Snap !!!

Edited by 81C
  • Like 1

It's a bit of a Curates egg, is this one, with a number of issues, the shade of GWR green, the fit of the cab to the body, the chimney shape, and the cylinders centre line to high, and minor gripes like the black finished side rods. I have not closely examined one as yet, but the problems are curable to some extent by replacement or altering, but then why should this be needed at all,

On looking at further shots the cylinder line may be right, it should go through the third axle centre, give or take the water and coal loading. Odd they get the couplings wrong as well. As the chimney has been measured to be correct, it must have been down to perspective distortion in the shots.

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately my 13xx is a failure.

It's spinning on the axle and not moving.

I just tried to dismantle it to have a look and it seems as if the cylinder block has quite a few cracks in the casting...!

Add to that the screw one the cylinder has stripped and a piece of the casting disintegrated.

With those pictures of interesting paint on the cylinders and cracks on mine I'm more that hoping its not M...

Err bit stuck now..

Lovely loco, but not going to continue with this one.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

Good photos with memories of Weymouth!  There must have been something about the location of picture number two which means that the loco tries to escape from the right hand side of the shot.  See my father's effort earlier in this thread!!!

I guess that the location was a bit cramped. I haven't worked out exactly which crossroads this was. Anyway much of the area seems to have been redeveloped. So one can't see what would have been at our fathers' backs, but most of the properties in the shots seem to open straight out onto the fairly narrow pavements, not leaving much room to manoeuvre. 

• RMweb Gold

Oh how so very disappointing and frustrating for you. Shouldn't happen we know...but sometimes we get a wrong'un.Back to Liverpool ?

I think there's a couple of other things in it that aren't right so continuing in there may be futile or frustrating now and later.

So Unfortunately yes, try again with another.

It's a nice loco though I have to give it that, enough weight I suspect it may out pull the peckett, which reminds me 2 more of them are coming today.. I'm gonna be poor at month end, but I'm not short of new toys :-)

Edited by adb968008

I guess that the location was a bit cramped. I haven't worked out exactly which crossroads this was. Anyway much of the area seems to have been redeveloped. So one can't see what would have been at our fathers' backs, but most of the properties in the shots seem to open straight out onto the fairly narrow pavements, not leaving much room to manoeuvre. 

We have holidayed regularly in Weymouth over the years and I am pretty sure that this is the Westham Road crossroads judging by the trees and the shape of the corner.  In which case the fence of the old Melcombe Regis Primary School is right behind!

• RMweb Premium

I just tried to dismantle it to have a look and it seems as if the cylinder block has quite a few cracks in the casting...!

Add to that the screw one the cylinder has stripped and a piece of the casting disintegrated.

With those pictures of interesting paint on the cylinders and cracks on mine I'm more that hoping its not M...

attachicon.gifRenderedContent-4D2951AE-AA03-43CD-9C45-FA1A2F224A79.JPG

I hope not - but the area around the coupling recess looks worryingly like the early stages of mazak rot - either that or a poor casting.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

<snip>

Err bit stuck now..

Not just me then :(

Mine isn't behaving that badly but mine is being temperamental too.

I took it down to my local model shop (not a Heljan retailer) and we had a long ponder.

The suggestion was to back off the screws on the keeper plate just enough to stop it being squeezed out of shape. It's helped but it isn't perfect, but is now unlikely to be going back to Liverpool.

When I first unboxed it the wheels were VERY tight in the chassis with no rotational movement. I could get it to go forward most of the time but if I tried to get it to go in reverse it might work, and if it got up enough speed it would keep moving. But sometimes it would either just stall or have the sound of slipping gears, either in the drive train or the worm jumping.

Loosening the keeper plate means that it is much better but there is still the odd judder.

There maybe a quartering issue too but this could have been because of the stiff drive train.

For anyone one who has one on order I'd suggest looking at the keeper plate before running and if the plate isn't flat, gently backing off the screws just a little.

It's a nice model but a bit of a disappointment.

Luke 

Edited by luke_stevens

Yes well Heljan over the last few years have tended to be priced a little higher than the competition in any case.Please let's not go down the same route as has happened on a nearby thread quite recently

And which route is that Old Froot ?

If one doesn't feel it's value for money and is disappointed should one just hush up?

Is this a forum for discussion or a fan club for "Happy Clappers" ?

Edited by lofty1966
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Alas I don't think I'll be touching these with a bargepole unless the balance of reports becomes more favourable. I don't need a 1366 for my proposed future layout but a 47xx is going to be badly needed. Hmm.

There are distinct echoes of what initially occurred when the O2's were released earlier this year.Disappointing.

There are distinct echoes of what initially occurred when the O2's were released earlier this year.Disappointing.

Keeping  fingers  crossed  for  the  Lynton  &  Barnstaple  00-9  2-6-2T

All this  is  not  very  encouraging  at  all

I don't often post on here but all the recent posts have made me a bit cross! I have two 1366 tanks delivered by a box shifter. I got a good price delivered v quickly and I have two locos that run very sweetly and have none of the manufacturing inconsistencies raised previously. I have never bought Heljan before as I model GWR and this is their first proper western foray.

Well done Heljan I'm very pleased and have no complaints. Each to their own but I've got the actual results and didn't judge prematurely.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I don't often post on here but all the recent posts have made me a bit cross! I have two 1366 tanks delivered by a box shifter. I got a good price delivered v quickly and I have two locos that run very sweetly and have none of the manufacturing inconsistencies raised previously. I have never bought Heljan before as I model GWR and this is their first proper western foray.

Well done Heljan I'm very pleased and have no complaints. Each to their own but I've got the actual results and didn't judge prematurely.

Good for you and thank you for the reassurance...but spare a thought for those posting here who have not been quite as fortunate.Nothing premature about that surely ?

I am the fortunate owner of two of their O2 models which indeed do run sweetly but I have to acknowledge that there were indeed some rogue models in that release which has been well documented on this forum.

Then of course we had the saga of the Hattons/Heljan Beyer Garratt  which upset and frustrated more than a few members of RMWeb. So perhaps reflect on that ?

Totally agree Ian. I sympathise if someone gets dealt a rogue model and like others I know of the Garratt saga and also the O2 issues. I saw those pics that were posted in Sheffield and did wonder but have seen mine and am not sure what models were used. They could only have been preproduction samples.

Good for you and thank you for the reassurance...but spare a thought for those posting here who have not been quite as fortunate.Nothing premature about that surely ?

I am the fortunate owner of two of their O2 models which indeed do run sweetly but I have to acknowledge that there were indeed some rogue models in that release which has been well documented on this forum.

Then of course we had the saga of the Hattons/Heljan Beyer Garratt which upset and frustrated more than a few members of RMWeb. So perhaps reflect on that ?

The picture posted earlier was a bit worrying though. Does anyone else have pictures? There is always the odd 'rogue' that doesn't run well, but basic finish of the models is something else - especially for a model at this price?

Good. I was worried I was a fundamental fault rather than just mine. I'm pleased yours work well.

After some more experimenting last night, I rang Liverpool this morning and arranged for it to be replace with another one.

I included a note of exactly the problem I'd found and asked for the replacement to be be tested before it was shipped to me.

I really hope I just has a rogue one... (topical reference!)

It's a lovely looking loco with what looks like a really simple way of installing a decoder.

Fingers crossed that the replacement runs as well as it looks!

Luke

Got mine delivered from Collets models yesterday and after reading some posts on here, i was worrying what my 1369 would turn out to be like.

Unboxed it to find it had no paint defects or any other issues. ran ok on a 9V battery. very weighty for a small model. build quality seems ok

The detail is spot on and just like the real 1369, the only things that has let it down is the black coupling rods.

Overall, i'm satisfied with it and happy i have a model of the loco i passed my firing exam on.

Now, time to finish my 1369 DCC sound project to fit into my model

• Like 1

https://youtu.be/uxhG30oOUa4

RenderedContent-4D2951AE-AA03-43CD-9C45-FA1A2F224A79.JPG

Err bit stuck now..

Mine does exactly this as well! Mine will be going back straight after Christmas with a 'please test the new one before sending it to me' note

Very happy with mine. Might just be that I'm lagged from a run of night shifts and havetired eyes and a mushy brain but I think the criticisms are very ott. Photographs are strangely harsh on this model.

Shade of green is pale and flat compared to Bachmann but looks much better than Hornby gwr green!

Seriously smooth and quiet runner, only practical issue is the coupling height. A little light footed though, reasonably happy on a 3 coach train but ì've seen the real thing pull 5.

My first Heljan product and I'm overall impressed.

Edited by Torn-on-the-platform