Ragtag

• RMweb Gold

Charlie should think about resurrecting his DMU kits, a 3-car Swindon class 120 just went for £104 on eBay.

Not hinting for a price increase of course - I'll stick to my two Craftsman conversions for now, but could be tempted to buy several first generation DMU kits if they reemerge.

Neil

I think Charlie has explained at length the problem with their fire. But it is true that the name is now a little misleading, However, one could argue that the sound products are a form of kit. But I think he is seriously missing a trick  - none of the big boys nor the usual kit suspects for SR kits is producing a 4 SUB, one of the most highly prized units, both SR and BR, and which has a long shelf life for modellers, both in passenger form and in De-icer/Departmental form. The blue and red boxes have proven averse to 4 car formations lately, but then release the 4TC, so I can understand the reluctance by Charlie to invest a small fortune in tooling, only to see them announce same but as RTR a year or two later. Tricky times right now.

• Trade Member

I think Charlie has explained at length the problem with their fire. But it is true that the name is now a little misleading, However, one could argue that the sound products are a form of kit. But I think he is seriously missing a trick  - none of the big boys nor the usual kit suspects for SR kits is producing a 4 SUB, one of the most highly prized units, both SR and BR, and which has a long shelf life for modellers, both in passenger form and in De-icer/Departmental form. The blue and red boxes have proven averse to 4 car formations lately, but then release the 4TC, so I can understand the reluctance by Charlie to invest a small fortune in tooling, only to see them announce same but as RTR a year or two later. Tricky times right now.

There will be No new kits, we have to get the Body Kits available for the ones we do first, no cash for slow selling kits, tooling for a 4 Car Unit is not cheap, can I sell 500 X 4 Car EMUs to cover the costs, plus what do we do for a motor bogie!!   Business is Business, Investment goes into things that sell, kits don't any more.  Charlie

...Investment goes into things that sell, kits don't any more.  Charlie

£104 for a Swindon kit suggests otherwise Charlie!

Seriously though, it is a big risk to plough hefty investment into something which might well be usurped by a RTR offering tomorrow, although the current trends in manufacture and import from China undoubtably spell the end of cheap models, for the foreseeable future at least. This will certainly mean a more rational approach to new models from the RTR boys (See prototype HST, Stirling Single tender options et al for details) so kits of some prototypes are likely to see increasing interest.

• RMweb Gold

And a class 206 3 car Tadpole unit went for £120 on eBay a few days ago.

I understand re tooling for new kits, but if Charlie still has stock, there's clearly a market for them.

Neil

As for motor bogies, the EMUs are easy as you can get a self contained Hornby motor bogie from the different 3rd rail models Hornby have made. They come with 8ft9in bogies (only 1mm out for the DMUs), come with 3ft6in wheels and fit perfectly into the guard compartment of the Mk1 EMUs/DMUs.

if Charlie had the time I am sure he would like to sort through all the old kit stuff he has and clear it out but he simply hasnt got the time at the moment.

I, like quite a few others, would like a kit or 3 from the old catalogue (120,119 and a DEMU hint hint) but we will just have to be patient.

• RMweb Premium

A big 'Thank You' to Charlie for digging out a couple of Cravens Class 105 cabs for me and bringing them to the York show.

I spoke with him a couple of weeks ago, and he said he knew where to find those quite quickly. A lot of other stuff is too hard to find, and then sort out to sell after having to quickly store what he could after the disasters that happened to his place.

I would have liked a few other things from his old stock, but he is so busy with the rest of his business to delve back into an area that was becoming increasingly loss making.

Anyway, I have a couple of nice Cravens cabs to work on with my Craftsman conversion kit to a Class 129 (the cabs in that kit are not as good as the DC ones).

Thanks again.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Has anyone else had any issues contacting DC Kits?  I've sent emails, tried a PM on this forum and called but no response.  Any suggestions?

Hi there,

Normally you can expect a fast response from Charlie....

But - it sometimes depends on the day that you email him.

For instance..

Last weekend - Frida\y/Saturday/Sunday - At Railex NE

This weekend - Thursday/Friday/Saturday/Sunday/Monday - At St Andrews Exhibition.

Next weekend - Friday/Saturday/Sunday - Midland Railway Centre

Try sending him a pm on here as it will flag up as soon as he next logs on.

Thanks

Edited by Scottish Modeller

• 1 month later...

Am extremely disappointed with the customer service from DC Kits

They sold me 2 books with large yellow round price stickers and when I tried to remove these they ripped the covers of the books

Charlie replied to my complaint saying that I should have used a UPVC cleaner!

How would I know that when stickers are supposed to peel off easily

No apology at all or action to look at these stickers which are certainly not fit for purpose!

So be very careful buying books from DC Kits with these stickers or indeed anything from them

• 2 weeks later...

They sold me 2 books with large yellow round price stickers and when I tried to remove these they ripped the covers of the books

No apology at all or action to look at these stickers which are certainly not fit for purpose!

So be very careful buying books from DC Kits with these stickers or indeed anything from them

Why single out Charlie for this? It would have happened with any book if you didn't take due care with removing the sticker. It's quite reasonable to expect a book from ANY retailer to have a price label on it. Whether you remove it or not is at your own personal discretion - you can't really go around blaming Charlie if you yourself haven't taken all the care in removing the sticker that you might have.

That's why it's far better to 'risk assess' your planned action before committing. You could probably have gently dampened the label to loosen it's grip before trying to remove.

Fortunately the contents of your book are intact and you can continue to enjoy them.

Just remember to exercise a little more care with such things in the future and your unfortunate incident will have served a useful purpose. :-)

D.

Rubbish.

I've worked in retail on and off for years and never had a problem with stickers coming off without damage. This has included rare records and books. You shouldn't have to use chemicals to remove labels and you certainly shouldn't be putting liquids on books.

So if the retailer has used labels that aren't fit for purpose then they are liable for any damage I'm afraid.

If it had happened in Waterstones or WH Smiths would you be demanding a refund or replacement? I certainly would be. Maybe I would give a small retailer a bit more leeway though.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

There are all sorts of different adhesives used for various purposes . What should have been used is a removable or peelable adhesive. Sounds to me as if you've got a more aggressive adhesive here that no amount of care would get off. Certainly you shouldn't have to use UPVC solutions. That is just mad. Mistakes can happen . Suggest supplier gets a new source of labels

I have always managed to get price labels off the covers of books, some have come off very easily while others have taken a lot longer, the main thing is to do it very slowly, some have to be removed ridiculously slowly but they all come off in the end.

Damage is normally the result of trying to rush the removal!

Why single out Charlie for this? It would have happened with any book if you didn't take due care with removing the sticker. It's quite reasonable to expect a book from ANY retailer to have a price label on it. Whether you remove it or not is at your own personal discretion - you can't really go around blaming Charlie if you yourself haven't taken all the care in removing the sticker that you might have.

That's why it's far better to 'risk assess' your planned action before committing. You could probably have gently dampened the label to loosen it's grip before trying to remove.

Fortunately the contents of your book are intact and you can continue to enjoy them.

Just remember to exercise a little more care with such things in the future and your unfortunate incident will have served a useful purpose. :-)

D.

I am not having a go at Charlie with this reply but the retail trade in general

Having being in retail for years in my humble opinion the retailer if selling an item they should take into consideration if sticking a label on an item wold cause a problem if it damaged it, quite simply use the correct type of sticker 

There are two types of sticker, one which for security reasons is tamper proof and low tack ones designed to be removed without damaging the item its stuck on. Whilst book dust covers original were designed to protect the book, like LP covers those who enjoy or collect such items prefer to have the covers in tip top condition. If its an item where the packaging is thrown away and or needs a security label then use one

As for this modern idea of risk managing everything is ludicrous. Its a label on a book, not some hazardous substance. 

I am not having a go at Charlie with this reply but the retail trade in general

Having being in retail for years in my humble opinion the retailer if selling an item they should take into consideration if sticking a label on an item wold cause a problem if it damaged it, quite simply use the correct type of sticker 

There are two types of sticker, one which for security reasons is tamper proof and low tack ones designed to be removed without damaging the item its stuck on. Whilst book dust covers original were designed to protect the book, like LP covers those who enjoy or collect such items prefer to have the covers in tip top condition. If its an item where the packaging is thrown away and or needs a security label then use one

As for this modern idea of risk managing everything is ludicrous. Its a label on a book, not some hazardous substance. 

The trouble is you get those t shows that peel of price labels and put them on books that are not reduced.

Regards Arran

The trouble is you get those t shows that peel of price labels and put them on books that are not reduced.

Regards Arran

Theft is a big problem with retailing most commodities, with regard to our hobby thankfully it is no where near as bad as other areas. We do have the odd bad apple, but in the main all attending shows are honest.

• RMweb Premium

Did you pay the full price or a reduced price?

Surely the most important thing about a book is the contents, I don't think many railway books are going to be the future antique best sellers.

'Risk managing' in this context merely alludes to applying a little preliminary thought and patient execution to the job.