trw1089

• 2 weeks later...

Stunning work. this layout just gets better, I have just been reading through again to discover how you get that oily sheen finish on your locos.

Your attention to detail is great and recreating the English countryside when you live so far away can't be easy.

Looking forward to more.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Tony, I really enjoyed that Video. Isn't it nice to be able to recreate what really happened?

Yes Gilbert, but it's a double edged sword, as now I know that I need many more ordinary passenger services than I have stock for, plus I would love to replace all those ugly Hornby Gresleys with something a little more aesthetically pleasing. Still, it's very enjoyable to now have some of the right motive power for the right sort of trains. The mock up of the station showed that the views would be very evocative of the full sized station. Hopefully I will approach the sort of accuracy you have managed, but still have a long way to go.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 3

I would love to replace all those ugly Hornby Gresleys with something a little more aesthetically pleasing.

You can always send them here to WA Tony, I really don't mind them at all as they rush past at a scale 60mph. ;) 

Great video Mate and I Love what you have done with Curlew but I have a bit of a soft spot for BR Blue ER Pacifics anyway.

Quick question please, Prior to weathering, how does the Bachmann blue compare with Hornby's ?

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

Over Easter I did manage to get some time to finally tidy up my new A1, 60122 Curlew in BR Blue, something I have been covetting for a little while.  I also took the opportunity to weather my D11 that I got a while ago and the K1 I received for Christmas.  A few non-corridor coaches also got the treatment.  With the arrival of two new Thompson coaches, and with careful study of a recently acquired Leeds District WTT (well a scanned copy), I also got to work on representing some of the passenger services, which resulted in another video at the bottom of the post.  I'd be very interested to hear what you think of the results of these efforts!

First, the A1.  By 1952 the BR blue would've been getting a bit mucky, and as Curlew was shopped for a General in early 1953, coming out in BR green then, I tried to get a well worn but cleaned look to the loco.

LfBxGK.jpg

and

Pq7hzr.jpg

I was happy how Bachmann BR blue darkened up after weathering and gloss coating.  It had me a bit worried at first.

Next through the weathering was the D11.  Again, worn but wiped over is what I was aiming for.

ABxuNK.jpg

You can see some of the weathered Gresley suburbans too.

Here is the other side of the D11:

dP0vuz.jpg

Finally the K1 - this one muckier, with a bit of a blow through the piston gland leading to some emulsified oil

vjWSwA.jpg

834nD9.jpg

I also experimented with some night time shots before doing the video.  This was the one I was most pleased with:

iP8II2.jpg

OK, I know a D11 was unlikely to go through Westgate, but I do have a pic of one coming up the S&K lines to Pontefract, so perhaps not too much of a stretch to have one through Wakey, especially as there was a 4.20am off Sheffield Vic that ran through Westgate in the morning.

Meanwhile, a big engine visited the shed at Arnthorpe.  The Q6 was not amused at being outshone, but Dave's J50 kept a watchful eye over things.

NJGR08.jpg

Finally, here is the video.  Not a perfect adherance to the WTT, but perhaps inspired by it.

Super video Tony - it's always nice to see a proper operating layout and the pre-dawn segments looked very effective.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

You can always send them here to WA Tony, I really don't mind them at all as they rush past at a scale 60mph. ;) 

Great video Mate and I Love what you have done with Curlew but I have a bit of a soft spot for BR Blue ER Pacifics anyway.

Quick question please, Prior to weathering, how does the Bachmann blue compare with Hornby's ?

Thanks Ted

The Bachmann BR blue seemed a bit lighter than the Hornby version, but on weathering it now looks pretty much identical. Even just putting the initial coat of Floor polish on darkened it, so the matt finish that it has out of the box could be the reason why it has a slightly different tone.

Cheers

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Yes Gilbert, but it's a double edged sword, as now I know that I need many more ordinary passenger services than I have stock for, plus I would love to replace all those ugly Hornby Gresleys with something a little more aesthetically pleasing. Still, it's very enjoyable to now have some of the right motive power for the right sort of trains. The mock up of the station showed that the views would be very evocative of the full sized station. Hopefully I will approach the sort of accuracy you have managed, but still have a long way to go.

Cheers

Tony

I don't want to put you off Tony, but it has taken me twenty years to get to where I am now. However, now I have the cunning plans with cassettes and spurs I have found that far less stock can be made to do far more work. Take for example the all important five set. Four slightly different BSKs, two or three different diagrams of SK, and the same of CKs will allow several different formations to be assembled. The same principle can be applied to all sorts of other things.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all

Well it's been a while between posts, mostly due to work, but also been fighting colds and flu for the last few weeks which has killed a lot of mojo. Still, I managed to do up another video, extending the services from the 1948 Leeds Distrct WTT. It's not an exact match, and there are a couple of continuity errors from the previous video, but I was happy that I could replicate the movements of trains relatively faithfully.

I still have a long way to go, the stock makeup on some services is best guesses based on a few photos and the various carriage working books I have downloaded from the BR coaching stock Yahoo group (thanks Robert Carroll!), and the engine workings are only just starting to come together. I do enjoy this facet of the hobby though, so hope you enjoy the end result.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tony

What a splendid video.

It demonstrated your weathering skills a treat.........this thread continues to be my text book as I try to get a similar standard on Granby. Hadnt seen the coaches before.....they looked very authentic........another job!

I particularly enjoyed the operational sequence and the links to the original timetable......fascinating. I liked the routine getting the brake van set up.....I have been puzzling how to do that......mind you I would use a pannier. :jester:

How did you do the uncoupling? Was it with an electro magnet......there seemed no sign of the Kadee shuffle? I imagine you will not be divulging the secret of changing the end boards until you have patented it! :sungum:   

Hope you have fully recovered from the flu.

Best wishes

John

Edited by john dew

• RMweb Gold

Thanks John

All my uncoupling is using a sharpened chopstick actually!  In the video I always cut that bit out...

As for the tailights and gangway covers, Blue Tack is my best friend!

Now I did actually see that the LNER got a couple of Panniers during the war to tide them over when they missed out on some Austerity 0-6-0s that went to the NCB instead.  Fortunately none got North of Doncaster (well except for those Scottish runaways), and they were all gone in my time period (phew, that was a close one...).

Cheers
Tony

• 4 weeks later...

Another attractive and instructive video. I agree with John that your layout is like a textbook of ideas and methods. I liked seeing the big hand throwing some of the levers. Seeing your track is a reminder for me to get working on mine.

Mike

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

As some may have noticed in the DCC Sound section I recently received a Locoman Sound decoder for my Hornby Black 5. In addition, thanks to another award at work I bought a South West Digital A3 Sound decoder to try out. The latter is on a Loksound V4 with the Black 5 on a Zimo. I’m actually impressed with both of them so decided to make a little video featuring them both, and my LRM J6 which puts in a cameo at the beginning to set the scene.

Hope you enjoy it.

Cheers

Tony

Edited by trw1089
  • Like 8

Great Video thank you Tony. I must admit I did get quite a giggle at 6.15 hearing the whistle and then watching the signal come off (I get amused by small things :))

Although I have had dipped a toe in the water with DCC, I have been a little unconvinced regarding some of the sound I have heard, however the ones in your video seem really quite good and I must admit it really does add a new dimension (see previous sentence regarding the giggles).

I do like the look of your Black 5 and although I am firmly entrenched as a Eastern Enthusiast, I have been giving thought to perhaps putting together a token train from one of each of the other big 3.  Minoru looks amazing, your weathering / gloss always looks just right.

I look forward to your next video.

Cheers Ted

Edited by The Blue Streak

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very much Ted

I have a soft spot for Minoru as that finish looks like a proper cleaned engine. The Black 5 was really to pay homage to a friend of mine who encouraged me to model Wakefield Westgate. His favourite loco is 45305, so I did up a Wakefield shed example which ended up being 45201.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all

I’ve had a rather successful weekend modelling so thought I should post a couple of pics. I’m currently working on a pair of London Road Models J6’s, one for me and another to head back to the UK. With a bit of free time finally, both tenders were started and ready now for detailing.

XGKpt1.jpg

And

TAm9Vt.jpg

While working on them, I finally got myself motivated enough to build a bending jig. I saw this on one of the Tony Wright Right Track videos and decided to make a double sided one to do broad and tight curves. Here it is on one of my vices:

a7PmWo.jpg

And the other side, showing it’s long enough to do some coach sides

Bg1QwD.jpg

Sometimes it’s nice just to get stuck into some modelling!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by trw1089
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

The other thing that has been on my workbench over the last month or so has been a backdating, detailing and renumbering of an A3 to represent 60058 Blair Athol in its early 1953 guise when it was outshopped in BR Green and left hand drive. With Eric of Londrem and Pinkhill fame providing the inspiration and Gilbert’s ongoing advice, I’ve been able to get a reasonable representation of the A3 by casting a new single chimney, adding a Brassmasters detailing kit and HMRS decals and doing some tidy ups of errant pipe work and obvious seems.

Here are a few shots ready for the paint and weathering shop.

TOlsia.jpg

sD0JRD.jpg

iFJMiP.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Eric. Seeing all your lovely pacifics convinced me of the need to detail them up. I’ve always liked A3s, but giving them the treatment like this really brings out the best in Hornby’s model.

Cheers

Tony