Deneside - BR North Eastern Region

Brian D

Quite a bit of family stuff going on at the moment but I am managing to make some small amount of progress.  The land form around the metal bridge was modroc'd the day before yesterday and painted...

post-1115-0-56844600-1515261271_thumb.jpg

...coated in pva and static grassed yesterday.  This afternoon I have hoovered up the excess grass and put the painted road back in place.

post-1115-0-68381600-1515261429_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-42497300-1515261531_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-34222100-1515261613_thumb.jpg

Some advertising boards have been added to the under line bridge wing walls and one of my new vehicles, the National Coal Board truck, posed in the vicinity.  Speaking of new vehicles, thanks to Toftwood's alert, a new bus arrived yesterday and is posed on the station throat over line bridge with the other two busses - the single decker will eventually be placed on the other side of the layout near the metal viaduct, the bridge clearances there are very low so double deckers are not permitted.

post-1115-0-66277100-1515262133_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-12630300-1515262188_thumb.jpg

The other new vehicle belongs in the goods yard.

post-1115-0-17476100-1515262567_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile, there is good news on the new K1 front - the loco has been returned from Liverpool Darlington Works and was seen earlier entering Deneside.

post-1115-0-51125100-1515263443_thumb.jpg

Getting there.

Regards,

Brian.

Edited by Brian D
  • Like 10

Quite a bit of family stuff going on at the moment but I am managing to make some small amount of progress.  The land form around the metal bridge was modroc'd the day before yesterday and painted...

attachicon.gif20180105_144750rev.jpg

...coated in pva and static grassed yesterday.  This afternoon I have hoovered up the excess grass and put the painted road back in place.

attachicon.gif20180106_164209rev.jpg

attachicon.gif20180106_164254 copy.jpg

attachicon.gif20180106_162557 copy.jpg

Some advertising boards have been added to the under line bridge wing walls and one of my new vehicles, the National Coal Board truck, posed in the vicinity.  Speaking of new vehicles, thanks to Toftwood's alert, a new bus arrived yesterday and is posed on the station throat over line bridge with the other two busses - the single decker will eventually be placed on the other side of the layout near the metal viaduct, the bridge clearances there are very low so double deckers are not permitted.

attachicon.gif20180106_162632 copy.jpg

attachicon.gif20180106_165413rev.jpg

The other new vehicle belongs in the goods yard.

attachicon.gif20180106_164322 copy.jpg

Meanwhile, there is good news on the new K1 front - the loco has been returned from Liverpool Darlington Works and was seen earlier entering Deneside.

attachicon.gif20180106_163915rev.jpg

Getting there.

Regards,

Brian.

The Bus looks good in place, is the single decker 'Northern' as well?  Have to get some rope on that truck load...lol

• Like 1

The Bus looks good in place, is the single decker 'Northern' as well?  Have to get some rope on that truck load...lol

The lorry is just unloading so no ropes  :sungum:  The single decker is a "United"  service so I think I've got most of the north east covered  :jester:

Thanks again for the tip about the bus.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 2

Another piece of the scenic 3D jigsaw puzzle is taking shape.  The usual bits of expanded polystyrene insulation have been hot wired to shape and glued together.  PVA seems to be the only glue that doesn't have some sort of horrible chemical reaction when gluing these bits together but takes a while to dry so this new bit of land form will be left overnight to dry before modrocing....

post-1115-0-27287600-1515436252_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-93954700-1515436303_thumb.jpg

...so it's time to play trains run some services.  The Q6 and hoppers are seen here exiting the colliery en route to Deneside.

post-1115-0-64729400-1515436498_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-86174800-1515436563_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Not sure why but we used to see them in Horden and Blackhall. Lockeys did the buses from Blackhall to Henry Smith's in old Hartlepool..EFE did a double decker in their colours.

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 1

Following on from post #1384, the sculptured expanded polystyrene land form assembly has been duly modroc'd, painted and static grassed as seen below.

post-1115-0-23816300-1515606763_thumb.jpg

It was then placed in the relevant aperture in the jigsaw puzzle next to the river bank...

post-1115-0-37719300-1515606886_thumb.jpg

...behind the masonry road bridge

post-1115-0-69223900-1515606948_thumb.jpg

With the section of landscape between all the three bridges on the left bank of the river substantially complete, my thoughts are turning to the scenics on the right bank.

post-1115-0-67970500-1515607110_thumb.jpg

The single decker will be placed on this side of the layout as I have already said.  The road needs to be extended rightwards from the masonry bridge so using various corrugated cardboard tryouts and formers the correct shape road surface was eventually cut out from mounting board and tested for fit.

post-1115-0-97155300-1515607497_thumb.jpg

The single decker was also placed under the metal viaduct to check for clearance.

post-1115-0-81739500-1515607653_thumb.jpg

I have since painted the road surface and it will dry overnight.  Then I will add card, etc support under the road surface to achieve the right level, incline and cross fall.  Scenics either side of the road will then follow, or that's the plan  :scratchhead:

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 12

Following on from post #1384, the sculptured expanded polystyrene land form assembly has been duly modroc'd, painted and static grassed as seen below.

attachicon.gif20180110_145312rev.jpg

It was then placed in the relevant aperture in the jigsaw puzzle next to the river bank...

attachicon.gif20180110_145704.jpg

attachicon.gif20180110_145826.jpg

With the section of landscape between all the three bridges on the left bank of the river substantially complete, my thoughts are turning to the scenics on the right bank.

attachicon.gif20180110_151234.jpg

The single decker will be placed on this side of the layout as I have already said.  The road needs to be extended rightwards from the masonry bridge so using various corrugated cardboard tryouts and formers the correct shape road surface was eventually cut out from mounting board and tested for fit.

attachicon.gif20180110_170751.jpg

The single decker was also placed under the metal viaduct to check for clearance.

attachicon.gif20180110_170804.jpg

I have since painted the road surface and it will dry overnight.  Then I will add card, etc support under the road surface to achieve the right level, incline and cross fall.  Scenics either side of the road will then follow, or that's the plan  :scratchhead:

Regards,

Brian.

Looking very good Brian,and a Bus UNDER the Bridge and not OVER it, It's coming on well.

• Like 3

attachicon.gif20180110_145312rev.jpg

attachicon.gif20180110_145704.jpg

attachicon.gif20180110_145826.jpg

attachicon.gif20180110_151234.jpg

attachicon.gif20180110_170751.jpg

attachicon.gif20180110_170804.jpg

Regards,

Brian.

I must have a search for that United single decker, my parents (now just my Father) live in Hexham. 

Edited by Toftwood

Hi Brian

Are you going to add strike marks on the bridge where the driver has forgot he has an upstairs to his bus. :O :o

Have one recently involved in an incident being towed away or sitting around somewhere! :O

• Like 1

Not sure why but we used to see them in Horden and Blackhall. Lockeys did the buses from Blackhall to Henry Smith's in old Hartlepool..EFE did a double decker in their colours.

Lockeys RTL, the EFE model, says "Bishop Auckland West Auckland Duplicate" - all upper case - on the front.

Corgi OOC did a GHN-series Bristol L5G in Durham District colours on the D3 to Darlington with its via blind in the wrong order - Sedgefield, The Trimdons, Thornley, and the EFE Leyland PD2 Metro-Cammell Orion of SDO (PUP547, no.275) says 40 West Hartlepool on the front...  Their NGT Routemaster is on the 57 route, which is probably too far inland.  Even that is better than the LS6B coach of United which despite being a UC class touring coach has blinds set for London (pretending to be a UT class - the UCs weren't supposed to go to London in case they got shabby).

The United Bristol L5G claims to be going to Darrowby...

Les

PS - I've turned up my Durham District LS5G - on the D4 to Stockton, also  with its via blind set in the wrong order (Sedgefield Wingate the Trimdons....)

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Brian

just as an aside, if you want to add detail to the 21T hoppers Judith Edge do an etch. It has steps, hopper door operating handles and the supports for the end handrails in it. adding it makes a big difference to it.

I have yet to add some Horden Coal to some of of mine..unfortunately, by the time I picked a lump up the coal at Horden was very sulphorous (it was distinctly yellow veined)  I prefer to remember it as shining like a black diamond.

Baz

Quite a few comments received about my last post - thank you all.  Number 2 daughter is moving tomorrow so I've been a bit busy today and will probably be so all weekend.  I will respond properly to your posts when I get a chance so in the meantime please accept a few "likes" etc..

Regards to All,

Brian.

Brian

just as an aside, if you want to add detail to the 21T hoppers Judith Edge do an etch. It has steps, hopper door operating handles and the supports for the end handrails in it. adding it makes a big difference to it.

I have yet to add some Horden Coal to some of of mine..unfortunately, by the time I picked a lump up the coal at Horden was very sulphorous (it was distinctly yellow veined)  I prefer to remember it as shining like a black diamond.

Baz

*thread drift - apologies, Brian*

Hi Baz - do you have any link/reference to that J/E etch?  I did a web search and can see the loco range, but not the detailing parts.

Tis a bit tricky for us colonials to get to the next show to look at a trade display!

Cheers

Scott

No 2 daughter now being safely ensconced in her new abode courtesy of 2 geriatric "shifters", namely me and Mrs D (who still ache all over), light duties have resumed in the form of a little railway modelling in the shed, to be specific - more of the 3D jigsaw puzzle that is the right bank of the river.  The hot wire cutter has seen plenty of use to create these segments of land form.

post-1115-0-83349100-1516042992_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-49589400-1516043123_thumb.jpg

As per usual, these are left for the glue to dry overnight, modrocing, painting and grassing to follow.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 8

Life having nearly returned to normal, I will properly reply to your interesting comments.

Looking very good Brian,and a Bus UNDER the Bridge and not OVER it, It's coming on well.

I do fancy having the single decker under the bridge and I have spent most of this afternoon faffing about with the road supports (bits of wood, expanded polystyrene, card, etc) to get the road profile right to achieve this.  Once I've sorted it I will post some pics.

Hi Brian

Are you going to add strike marks on the bridge where the driver has forgot he has an upstairs to his bus. :O :o

Good idea Clive.  Most steel girder bridges you see these days show signs of distress on the bottom flanges due to bridge strikes.  I'll ponder how to achieve this "look".  It will certainly need some low bridge signs.

Have one recently involved in an incident being towed away or sitting around somewhere! :O

Good idea mate but I'm not sure I've got room.

Brian

Baz

Thanks Baz, I'll look into your suggestion.  The whole rake needs weathering and I've had a few derailments which I blame on the couplings - I replaced the big chunky couplings on the older model Hornby hopper, of which I have 6, with cut down Bachmann versions which of course are much smaller.  I fear that this was done somewhat in-expertly so I need to revisit this as well.

"The Black Diamond" was also the name of a club or pub in Easington IIRC.  Brings back memories.

Regards to All,

Brian.

• Like 2