Deneside - BR North Eastern Region

Brian D

Another thread I have only just found and had an enjoyable read going through it, some fine work done. I am about to build my station canopy, so I am watching your build with great interest.

Thanks for taking an interest tigerburnie.  I am planning to build the canopy girder structures using Evergreen plastic strip and angle.  I will have to build some sort of jig to help with reliable and repetitive assembly.  Hopefully I'll make a start in the next few days.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 1

It must be a Summer Saturday - another passenger service has arrived, this time V2 hauled :) .

post-1115-0-28948000-1511461640_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-05842800-1511461689_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-20535200-1511461738_thumb.jpg

Three green beauties in close proximity.

post-1115-0-38367000-1511461851_thumb.jpg

Once again the station pilot has done the business, the Gresley V2 has been turned and joins the Gresley and Peppercorn pacifics awaiting their departure slots.

post-1115-0-83023400-1511462247_thumb.jpg

I've just about exhausted my supply of big engines (and coaching stock) so that's yer lot for now.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 10

It must be a Summer Saturday - another passenger service has arrived, this time V2 hauled :) .

20171123_174114rev.jpg

20171123_174237rev.jpg

20171123_174356rev.jpg

Three green beauties in close proximity.

20171123_174509rev.jpg

Once again the station pilot has done the business, the Gresley V2 has been turned and joins the Gresley and Peppercorn pacifics awaiting their departure slots.

20171123_175201rev.jpg

I've just about exhausted my supply of big engines (and coaching stock) so that's yer lot for now.

Regards,

Brian.

Reminds me of pictures of Cleethorpes back in the day with all the excursions lined up!

Maybe some pigeon specials?

Edited by danstercivicman
  • Like 1

Like the Halls paint sign were did you get it did you make it yourself?

It's a scratch build sort of!  I don't know whether you have ever been to Beamish Open Air Museum in County Durham (see  http://www.beamish.org.uk/ ) but there is one of these signs there by the railway station - I photographed it "head on"...

post-1115-0-72498600-1511542857_thumb.jpg

...put it through Photoshop Elements to remove the background clutter...

post-1115-0-66563500-1511542901_thumb.jpg

,,,and printed it on 6 x 4 photo paper.  I then carefully cut round what I wanted in one piece with a sharp blade and glued it to a plastic goal post frame and set it into the embankment.

Feel free to download the PSE image by all means if you want to replicate what I've done.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 2

I have been doing what I call incremental jobs on the layout lately, trying to sort out the scenics around the cattle dock and fixing the tender coupling on the green V2 which kept uncoupling when exiting the fiddle yard where there is a slight drop in track levels.  I'm also about to build a jig to aid construction of the station roof girders.  None of this is particularly photogenic so we now return to the Summer Saturday.

It might be a Summer Saturday but the pit is still producing black gold by the train load.  Here the Q6 and full minerals await the right-away alongside more illustrious motive power...

post-1115-0-73763400-1511805062_thumb.jpg

...but the Q6 gets the first departure slot...

post-1115-0-78562800-1511805174_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-27673800-1511805234_thumb.jpg

...and passes a D49 hauled local stopping passenger service on the viaduct...

post-1115-0-42209700-1511805384_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-61509900-1511805416_thumb.jpg

which, having past the coal train, cruises into platform 2.

post-1115-0-11209200-1511805544_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-46657600-1511805933_thumb.jpg

That's all for now.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 11

The Buses on the road bridge, what company are they? I have a small collection of Newcastle Corporation including a trolley bus and a Tynemouth bus.  They are like the provebial Hens teeth to get Darn Sarf around the shows.

The single decker is "United" and the double decker is a "Northern" service.  IIRC they are both EFE models.  I wanted at least one of each company because these were the two companies I remember in my youth that I used to travel from my Aunt Sarah's in Easington to Hartlepool, Sunderland and Durham.  The services were numbered 40 and 41 but I can't remember which went where.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 1

The 40 ran between Sunderland and Hartlepool . . and was operated by United and Northern also . .  SDO - dark blue and white and part of the Northern setup., , 

change ticketing at the Village . . ie. Easington Village/Hartlepool on a United ticket . . Easingon Village/Sunderland on a Northern tcket

The 41 was between Durham and Hartlepool  operated by United only.

John

• Like 1

The 40 ran between Sunderland and Hartlepool . . and was operated by United and Northern also . .  SDO - dark blue and white and part of the Northern setup., , 

change ticketing at the Village . . ie. Easington Village/Hartlepool on a United ticket . . Easingon Village/Sunderland on a Northern tcket

The 41 was between Durham and Hartlepool  operated by United only.

John

Thanks John - you can't beat a bit of local knowledge.

Best Regards,

Brian.

• Like 1

Thanks John - you can't beat a bit of local knowledge.

Best Regards,

Brian.

Having spent my teenage years in Tynemouth, we used to get Newcastle Corp running the Coast road (No 9?) Tynemouth, and in Whitley Bay, Hunters I believe? They were a dark purple if my memory serves. My elder brother would know better than I.

Having spent my teenage years in Tynemouth, we used to get Newcastle Corp running the Coast road (No 9?) Tynemouth, and in Whitley Bay, Hunters I believe? They were a dark purple if my memory serves. My elder brother would know better than I.

North of the Tyne was definitely a foreign land for me in my youth.  Up until this last summer when we visited Alnwick and Bamburgh, Whitley Bay was the furthest north I had ever travelled.  I have no memory of how we travelled from Easington to Whitley Bay - it would have been a nightmare journey by public transport so I think we must have gone in someone's car.

Whitley Bay was a favourite of the Colliery Club Trip. . . .20 or more buses, usually hired in from United, full to the gunnels with screaming kids and their parents for a day out on the beach and a p!ss up for their fathers.

Crossing the Tyne was like going abroad!

John

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Spanish City and fish and chips were always included in a trip to Whitley Bay

Baz

Ps we went with Select Coaches from Horden on our annual school trip to Whitley Bay.

• Like 2

Whitley Bay was a favourite of the Colliery Club Trip. . . .20 or more buses, usually hired in from United, full to the gunnels with screaming kids and their parents for a day out on the beach and a p!ss up for their fathers.

Crossing the Tyne was like going abroad!

John

Spanish City and fish and chips were always included in a trip to Whitley Bay

Baz

Ps we went with Select Coaches from Horden on our annual school trip to Whitley Bay.

Great information chaps.  Me Mam and Dad, God bless them both, would surely have remembered all of this.  I was brought (screaming?) down to Essex when I was four - we used to live in a bungalow in Hawthorn up until that point but both my parents families were from Easington Colliery.  Me Dah was a former colliery electrician made good, studied hard at night school and got qualified, eventually, as a Chartered Electrical Engineer.  The move south was due to him getting a job with HM Mining Inspectorate in London in 1953.  The Easington experience was thereafter limited to return trips with me mam to stay with Aunt Sarah (God bless her too) usually in the school holidays, travelling from Kings Cross to Hartlepool - which lad my age then (mid to late 50s and early 60s) could fail to become interested in trains?

Thanks again for your interest.

Best regards,

Brian.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Spanish City is on its way back within a regeneration plan...and it is still in a Dire Strates record...

Brian, date wise was your Da involved in the mining disaster at Easington? My uncle was and he then moved into mining engineering with Cementation in Bawtry.

Baz

• Like 1

Spanish City is on its way back within a regeneration plan...and it is still in a Dire Strates record...

Brian, date wise was your Da involved in the mining disaster at Easington? My uncle was and he then moved into mining engineering with Cementation in Bawtry.

Baz

Not just any Dire Straits record... the greatest song Mark Knopfler ever recorded. Well, in my book, anyway.  :yes:

Well if you crossed the Tyne back then on a bus more than likely have to go all the way round via Newcastle, cars could use the Shields ferry, South to North then up via the Fish Quay up Tanners Bank into Tynemouth, along the Broadway and into Whitley Bay or along the coast via Cullercoats. :-)

Baz

I believe he was.  I think he already worked for the Mines Inspectorate at a local (Durham) level before moving to London.  The Easington disaster was in 1951 and we moved south in 1953.  Me da's area of expertise as an Electrical Engineer was flame proof switch gear, he had worked for Reyrolles, Heburn at some point which I believe made the stuff.  Dad passed away about 17 years ago now so I am drawing on my own mainly childhood memories when he used to talk about the pits and his work.  I assume he and his colleagues managed to rule out an electrical fault as root cause of the disaster because the internet is telling me it was caused by "the picks of the coal cutting machine cutter, which was working in the Duck Bill district of the Five Quarter seam, struck pyrites causing sparks which ignited firedamp causing an explosion which brought down 120 yards of roof and entombed 81 men."  An additional 2 rescuers died bringing the death toll to 83 - shocking.  Fortunately, none of my relatives were casualties.  Whilst I am very sad and angry to see the demise of the Durham coalfield (don't get me going on that subject), deep mines are extremely hazardous work places so, in a way, it's all for the best.

​One of the stories I remember from me dad was that his father (my grandad) was involved in sinking the shafts at Easington and, thereafter, their future maintenance.  I have no memory of my grand parents, I think they all passed away before I was born in 1949.

Thanks again for you comments.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 2