West End Workbench

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, jwealleans said:

I picked this up out of the mud down the yard at work.   It's the top of the water outlet on a ball valve.   I looked at it and thought I could probably do something with it.  It's been smoothed off, a few Archer rivets added and a coat of Metalcote 27004.   I'm making up two planked discs to cover the holes, then with a bit of timber packing underneath and some chains it'll make what I think will be an interesting load.

You could run a quiz at exhibitions for folk to guess a) what it is and b) what it represents. Prizes for the most accurate and most ridiculous answers...

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Plus it might be very useful in a plumbing emergency! It's a good way to have things handy...

(Note to self: find a use as wagon loads for car brake lights, teabags and condoms...)

Edited by Chas Levin
  • Like 2
  • Funny 3

• 2 weeks later...

As we're only a week away, just a note to say I shall be demonstrating weathering at Thirsk Show next Sunday in the Town Hall.

I'm told I've been moved out of the upstairs room (presumably at the request of the other demonstrators) and placed on the landing next to the tea urn.

Details here.  Always a quality show and in aid of a good cause.

• Like 4
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

Always a quality show and in aid of a good cause.

I haven’t been able to get since Sunday became my regular volunteering day.  As you say it is a quality show with usually lots of beautiful smaller layouts and I miss it a lot.

• Friendly/supportive 2

18 minutes ago, Chas Levin said:

Nice t-shirt, Mr W!

I have to credit my friend and colleague Mr King for that; he did a batch for the then Grantham team in green and black.   Unfortunately I'm not sure they can be obtained any more.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

What? you actually got something done?

Only until you arrived and I started serving cake.   It was curtains for the weathering after that.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Only until you arrived and I started serving cake.   It was curtains for the weathering after that.

That was lemon pour cake rather than lemon drizzle cake...

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

3 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

That was lemon pour cake rather than lemon drizzle cake...

Once eaten, seldom forgotten.    It's one of the Mrs' most popular offerings.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

G'Day Folks

I've got one of those 'T' shirts as well, Only wear it on certain occasions, IE, model shows, last time was about 10 years ago. It's wearing well. 😂

manna

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 29/07/2024 at 14:42, jwealleans said:

I have to credit my friend and colleague Mr King for that; he did a batch for the then Grantham team in green and black.   Unfortunately I'm not sure they can be obtained any more.

Thought I recognised it! Mr K very kindly gave me the artwork as I said I'd like to produce one for myself, I just haven't done it yet... Too many things and too few hours in the day...

• Friendly/supportive 3

In among preparations for Thirsk, the B1 was dismantled and painted and I'm now erecting the frames again for what I hope is the final time.   Having got it back to the running chassis it was before, I'm now adding the valve gear one bit at a time, testing as I go.

Nucast-B1-connecting-rods.jpg

I hit a problem I haven't come across before this morning, not being a habitual user of the Romford deluxe crankpin (the threaded one).   I set the chassis running on the rolling road and after a short time it slowed down then locked up.  Eventually I worked out that the rear nearside crankpin nut was tightening itself up and jamming the coupling rod.   Here i've taken it off and replaced with my usual piece of elastic band and it's run freely for as long as I was there watching it.   I'm a bit loath to replace the crankpin now the chassis runs freely, so I may just solder it in place and see if that solves it.  I'd Loctited the front ones so they didn't have the same problem but they'll be soldered anyway.

The body was also painted and I've applied the Fox Transfers lining pack.  i don't like them but they are the best around at the moment.

Nucast-B1-body-painted-lined.jpg

Bit of a gotcha here - the cab lining comes with a number already laid out (61018).  I didn't want that one, so I took off the last three numbers before I applied it to the cabside.   My number (61236) is wider, so adding it has left it off centre, but the transfer is so fragile I daren't try to cut out the two which are part of it and try again.    There's also not enough material under the running plate to get the valance lining transfer on, so I'll put the light grey line on by hand as it's the most visible part.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4

I built a DJH A2 recently already in the box were a set of De Luxe Crankpins. I found they were a real pain , no matter how tight when fitted they on one axle in particular , always unscrewed out of the wheel during running in. Superglue added and they have behaved since. I would'nt use them again much simpler using the "normal" version .

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 02/08/2024 at 09:34, jwealleans said:

I hit a problem I haven't come across before this morning, not being a habitual user of the Romford deluxe crankpin (the threaded one).   I set the chassis running on the rolling road and after a short time it slowed down then locked up.  Eventually I worked out that the rear nearside crankpin nut was tightening itself up and jamming the coupling rod.   Here i've taken it off and replaced with my usual piece of elastic band and it's run freely for as long as I was there watching it.   I'm a bit loath to replace the crankpin now the chassis runs freely, so I may just solder it in place and see if that solves it.  I'd Loctited the front ones so they didn't have the same problem but they'll be soldered anyway.

I've had success with putting the normal piece of paper through the crankpin and over the rods and soldering the nut, as you would with the older Romford crankpins, but I've also used the Romford crankpin bushes - https://www.roxeymouldings.co.uk/product/1089/4ma067-romford-slotted-crankpin-bush-10/ 

yes you have to enlarge the hole in the rod, but you can tighten the nut onto this bush, I used a dab of gloss paint to hold it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

One step forward, one back.... first, the motion.   The previous builder had made up subassemblies, so when I came to present it all to the loco I only had four bits to worry about.

Nu-Cast-B1-motion-ready.jpg

Can't say it wasn't a fiddle - one side just fell together, I had to have three goes at the other - but in the end it's all on and runs freely on the rolling road.  We'll get to test running in due course.

Nu-Cast-B1-motion-erected.jpg

Now a step back... just a couple of minutes after taking that picture, I sprayed loco and tender bodies with Halfords lacquer - the same I use on everything - whereupon the cabside transfer wrinkled irretrievably all over the surface and the tender lining did the same.   The boiler lining was unaffected, yet it all came off the same sheet.   The air was blue.

I'll strip the tender but on the loco I've just scraped the cabside clean and smooth and I'll only repaint that.  No need to redo all the boiler when it's absolutely fine.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

Which lacquer was it - gloss?  It seems to be stuff to be treated with caution!  I've got some but haven't used it much; I had a bad experience spraying it over Railmatch enamel a little while ago.  One side of a van was OK but the paint on the other side crazed and could almost be rubbed off with a fingernail.  I presume it would be OK over other Halford's paints but after that experience I'd be wary of using it over anything else.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Posted (edited)

Morning Steve.   The can was just labelled 'Clear Lacquer'.   I've binned it.   The paint was fine (it was Halfords anyway), it only attacked the transfers.  I'll order another set and it'll be repainted by the time they come.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Morning Steve.   The can was just labelled 'Clear Lacquer'.   I've binned it.   The paint was fine (it was Halfords anyway), it only attacked the transfers.  I'll order another set and it'll be repainted by the time they come.

I don't blame you!  Mine says "Universal Clear Lacquer - Gloss" on it.  I've got another one which says "Matt Lacquer" on it, which I haven't used yet.  Both are in the new-style mainly orange cans.  They seemed like a good idea when I bought them, but it sounds as though they're things to be used with caution if at all.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1