Kernow Model Rail Centre to produce GWR 1361 0-6-0 Saddle Tank

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

I've seen enough to cancel my pre-order.

Very disappointing.

Think it's a case of sitting and waiting for a Heljan one to drop in price :-(

Me too - non-existent splashers were the last straw.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

And what's with the "mini" splashers ?

I am no expert on the class but looking back to Andy Y's photo-post these do not seem to be mini-splashers at all.  Possibly wheel-rims visible above the frames which compares with the view of the real 1362.  The steps do appear to have been located marginally to the rear of centre compared with the cab doorway which might or might not be a compromise to permit adequate wheel clearance on model curves.    Just my thoughts.

I am no expert on the class but looking back to Andy Y's photo-post these do not seem to be mini-splashers at all.  Possibly wheel-rims visible above the frames which compares with the view of the real 1362.  The steps do appear to have been located marginally to the rear of centre compared with the cab doorway which might or might not be a compromise to permit adequate wheel clearance on model curves.    Just my thoughts.

Now they have been pointed out they look like splashers to me. The Driving wheels look like they disappear underneath the footplate hence the splashers ? You cannot see on the Kernow photo of 1362  if the rims are clearing/underneath the footplate .

I can see no reason for the steps to be staggered back, there is plenty of clearance in front the rear drivers. 

Very sad if they are splashers as its a major error, on what is otherwise a lovely looking Loco.

• RMweb Premium

post-68-0-03636200-1506240393_thumb.png

post-68-0-13523000-1506240432_thumb.png

A quick check indicates two things, they are splashers and the steps are in the wrong place. Both errors appear to have been extant since day one, as they are visible on all the CAD's on all variants in this thread. So what you were shown is what you got. Having looked at Andy's pictures closely the chassis design looks like a typical DJM configuration, e.g. oversized oval crank pin holes, and the chassis assembly fixings the square and round holes at the base of the chassis. If so based on my experience with the 14xx and J94 it's running properties when descending a gradient under load, may be interesting.

Edited by PMP
  • Like 1

If so based on my experience with the 14xx and J94 it's running properties when descending a gradient under load, may be interesting.

I've tried to replicate that issue with the 3 samples here on slopes between 1 in 100 and 1 in 30 and haven't been able to do so as yet despite the gear arrangement being the same principle.

• RMweb Gold

Whilst I think it is a great shame that such a basic error as the "mini-splashers" could occur, I must admit to being vastly amused that all the self-appointed rivet counters have missed the error until now.

I think most of us struggle with detailed knowledge of this particular loco ( Didcot crew excepted ) and it is it seems surprisingly easy to miss details even on more familiar ones such as Bachmann's recent Modified Hall.We've all been there, I suspect.Yes,agree it does on the face of it seem a shame and you have used the dreaded "r.c." phrase now guaranteed to cause outbreaks of mass apoplexy rippling across RMWeb for which you may receive a degree of disapproval from certain injured parties

Be that as it may,said parties reaction to this little model on publication of Andy Y's images I find distasteful and redolent of temper tantrums wholly unnecessary on this forum.Please keep hissy fits to yourselves is ,as is obvious, you are a little peeved if things didn't turn out quite as you had wanted.Better to walk away with some grace and dignity.You can't win them all. I do really wonder what does motivate some...and Andy Y is trying very hard....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Whilst I think it is a great shame that such a basic error as the "mini-splashers" could occur, I must admit to being vastly amused that all the self-appointed rivet counters have missed the error until now.

They're not the only ones alas.   It would be interesting to see what's on the works drawing as I understand that a copy of that went to China.

"Shouldn't the cab steps line up with cab door?" (Lofty1966)

"And what's with the "mini" splashers?" (Lofty1966)

"They do look odd" (John Isherwood)

"Very disappointing" (Lofty1966)

"Very sad if they are splashers as its a major error, on what is otherwise a lovely looking Loco" (Micklner)

Be that as it may,said parties reaction to this little model on publication of Andy Y's images I find distasteful and redolent of temper tantrums wholly unnecessary on this forum.Please keep hissy fits to yourselves is ,as is obvious, you are a little peeved if things didn't turn out quite as you had wanted.Better to walk away with some grace and dignity.You can't win them all. I do really wonder what does motivate some...and Andy Y is trying very hard....

I must have missed the temper tantrums and hissy fits. I guess the moderator has been busy removing some intemperate posts overnight.

David

• RMweb Premium

Be that as it may,said parties reaction to this little model on publication of Andy Y's images I find distasteful and redolent of temper tantrums wholly unnecessary on this forum.Please keep hissy fits to yourselves is ,as is obvious, you are a little peeved if things didn't turn out quite as you had wanted.

I hardly think that the posts in question warrant the classification of temper tantrums - that in itself is rather an inflamatory phrase.

Having troubled to re-read the thread from the point at which the new images were posted, I can't find anything that is 'over the top'. I suppose my own post on the subject could be described as one of the strongest.

I pre-ordered the model on the day that it was announced, and I deliberately ignored the Heljan version as I suspected that the DJM one would be better quality; I held to this view until Andy posted the latest images.

I was already concerned somewhat at the prospect of a coreless motor, and I do not like gear-coupled driving axles on steam locos as they are invariable accompanied by oversized coupling rod bearings that allow the rods to take up some odd attitudes. However, on balance, I would have lived with these factors.

Inspecting the latest images, the mini-splashers stood out as an anacronistic feature; comparison with photos of the prototype showed that they are completely fictional. The misalignment of the cab steps is unfortunate, (if it is not an optical illusion), but this could easily be corrected. However, the splashers swung the balance for me - I cancelled my pre-order and ordered a Heljan model.

I do not think that making such a decision on the basis that the model has clearly visible features which the prototype does not have, when an alternative model does not have these fictional features, is in any way "a temper tantrum".

I have made a personal decision based on criteria which I apply to my own modelling. It has long been acceptable to deplore the fictional valance on Hornby's Stanier tender; I can see no difference between that distortion of the prototype and DJM's mini-splashers.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Fascinating that even those who indulge in the 'error hunt' with every new model CAD image or EP have failed to notice the 'splashers' until now. So, are they really THAT significant? I'm guessing that the alternative would be slightly undersized wheels, which would be much more difficult to pick up on the CAD images. (CJL)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm guessing that the alternative would be slightly undersized wheels, which would be much more difficult to pick up on the CAD images. (CJL)

I too had assumed the splashers were to accommodate overscale OO flanges. Cutouts would have been just as offensive, no doubt. 

Fascinating that even those who indulge in the 'error hunt' with every new model CAD image or EP have failed to notice the 'splashers' until now. So, are they really THAT significant? I'm guessing that the alternative would be slightly undersized wheels, which would be much more difficult to pick up on the CAD images. (CJL)

"Error hunt" ? I preordered when this model was first announced , watched Heljan release their version and waited for Kernow to finalize theirs.

It's not as good as I had hoped and I have cancelled the order.

No hissy fits , tantrums or peeved (copyright Mr Hargrave) [this being the chap who had a public meltdown over the phrase Coffin dodgers, I recall ]There's irony.

As I wrote earlier , just disappointed.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

"Error hunt" ? I preordered when this model was first announced , watched Heljan release their version and waited for Kernow to finalize theirs.

It's not as good as I had hoped and I have cancelled the order.

No hissy fits , tantrums or peeved (copyright Mr Hargrave) [this being the chap who had a public meltdown over the phrase Coffin dodgers, I recall ]There's irony.

As I wrote earlier , just disappointed.

Lofty,

We've clearly offended the DJM Appreciation Society.

Regards,

John Isherwood.